Velva vs. Harvey

The teams in Class A

Velva vs. Harvey

Postby A - Football Fan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:23 am

I know these two teams have been looking forward to this game. Should be a good one and a probable preview of a semi-final match-up. Winner will have homefield advantage. What are the thoughts on this game?
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Velva vs. Harvey

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:13 am

This game is always interesting to me because of the Sandy brothers coaching against each other but I will take Harvey in this one.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby future star » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:42 pm

i don't know velva is looking good... but i'll still take harvey close though. 26-20
future star
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:44 pm

Velva 40 Harvey 6. I hope velva is ahead and score on their last possession. But knowing its brother vs brother whomever wins will do it with class and not try to score but rather take a knee for their final play of the game.
bigpoppakdog

Postby Number_2 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:50 pm

I wanna take Velva in this one but Harvey is definatly a team that doesnt go down without a fight....itll be close...im gonna say Velva 18 Harvey 16
Number_2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ND_Coach » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:03 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:Velva 40 Harvey 6. I hope velva is ahead and score on their last possession. But knowing its brother vs brother whomever wins will do it with class and not try to score but rather take a knee for their final play of the game.

yeah, 40 - 6 is really going to happen.
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Number_2 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:03 am

ND_Coach wrote:
bigpoppakdog wrote:Velva 40 Harvey 6. I hope velva is ahead and score on their last possession. But knowing its brother vs brother whomever wins will do it with class and not try to score but rather take a knee for their final play of the game.

yeah, 40 - 6 is really going to happen.

I agree with ND_Coach, Velva will be lucky if they win, if anyone would win this game 40-6 it would be Harvey, but i think the game will be closer than that
Number_2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:16 pm

I will stick with my prediction even though I don't know what type of team velva has.
bigpoppakdog

Postby 07AF » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:26 am

Grow up. It sounds like you're holding a grudge.

It will be a good game. Harvey 26-14
07AF

Postby A - Football Fan » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:19 am

Harvey's line vs Velva's speed. Velva has a good defense that will track down runners and cover receivers. Harvey will have tobring their best to the field tomorrow to pull it off. Same will be said about Velva. The team wilth the least mistakes will probably win this one. It will be another classic battle.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby toddjames » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:58 pm

This is going to be a great game, can't wait to cover it... lots of drama leading up to it and during I bet... Two very good teams, with different styles... defending champs (Harvey) are going to come right at you and try to run it down your throat, while former 4-time defending champs (Velva) are going to use speed and misdrection on you... sounds more like a classic title fight than a high school football game... I pick Harvey with the home field advantage and their overall experience and strength up front... I think it will be close though and Velva is capable of winning this one also...
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:35 pm

07AF wrote:

Grow up. It sounds like you're holding a grudge.

It will be a good game. Harvey 26-14

darn right. Up by 20 with 25 seconds left, first and 10 and you go for the touchdown.
bigpoppakdog

Postby packerfan » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:16 pm

Just because new salem couldn't stop a simple 32 blast bigpoppakdog thinks harvey ran the score up on them. if i recall correctly new salem ran the score up on standing rock. correct me if i'm wrong.
packerfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ND_Coach » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:25 am

packerfan wrote:Just because new salem couldn't stop a simple 32 blast bigpoppakdog thinks harvey ran the score up on them. if i recall correctly new salem ran the score up on standing rock. correct me if i'm wrong.

nope ran a QB sneak with seconds to go and scored when standing rock could not stop them, but in that case the score was like 46-0 not 20-0
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 07AF » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:42 am

Oops my bad....I'm just so darn ignorent.....lol
07AF

Postby igetmoney15 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:55 am

im sorry bigpoppakdog... that new salem couldnt stop a basic run up the middle.. i dont see how it was running up the score... and why does it matter if there best player wasnt on the field?
igetmoney15

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:10 pm

so lets say new salem decided to score against dlb last week when the score was 30-6 when new salem got the ball back with 20 seconds left in the 4th quarter and decided to score versus take a knee. That is OK? I'm sorry your class of sportsmanship is different up there than down here I guess. :?

You count Standing Rock as a game? Tell me the scores of the teams up north that played standing rock??
bigpoppakdog

Postby ND_Coach » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:49 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:so lets say new salem decided to score against dlb last week when the score was 30-6 when new salem got the ball back with 20 seconds left in the 4th quarter and decided to score versus take a knee. That is OK? I'm sorry your class of sportsmanship is different up there than down here I guess. :?

You count Standing Rock as a game? Tell me the scores of the teams up north that played standing rock??

The way it seams to me is you believe that Harvey had malicious intentions, that they were intentionally trying to pad the score. If this is not the case I apologize in advance. However, that late touchdown was not them trying hard to tack one more on, and I know that for a fact. Fact is they ran a simple run play and got lucky, while they were trying to keep the clock moving. It was not a slight against New Salem as I believe you perceive it to be.

I will tell you the same thing has happened to Harvey. Against LaMoure in the 2003 Semi-Finals. LaMoure was Leading 20-0. Harvey scored twice in the 4th. Now 20-14, Harvey onsides Lamoure recovers, about 3 min left. Lamoure runs nothing but power running plays, score with a little over a minute left. 28-14. Lamoure kicks off, Harvey throws a pick. LaMoure, with their studs in (Sandness at RB, Cody Sailer at FB) runs right at Harvey and scores with 15 seconds left, 34-14. Was Lamoure trying to run it up? No, it was cold and they wanted the game done so they could go to the title game and were running basic plays that Harvey did not stop. It was not poor sportsmanship when LaMoure did it to Harvey and it was not poor sportsmanship when Harvey scored on New Salem

Apparently our definitions of sportsmanship do differ, because what you said about Standing Rock not counting as a game, in my opinion, is about as disrespectful as you can get to an opponent. They practice and put on the pads and compete just like everyone else, turns out New Salem was clearly the better team on that day. But, if you are going to call out Harvey and their coaches as classless for scoring a late TD when the game was over, don't talk out of both sides of your mouth when New Salem did the same thing against Standing Rock
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:19 am

Standing Rock is AA not A. Watford pounded the Rock worse Friday. Anybody going to call them poor sports? Highly doubtful.

My simple question is this. With 25 seconds left AND first and 10 why not take a knee? The clock still runs doesn't it? New Salem calling any timeouts? NO. New Salems all-region and very possibly all state linebacker sitting on the sidelines in serious pain from cramps(there are enough teams now that know who I am talking about). Find me an example where a team has a THREE score lead with 25 seconds left and first and 10 who did not take a knee.

Was it poor sportsmanship. YES, without a doubt, from my side. The comments I've received from people from that area is that is "that is Sandy." So, it's clear the rep he has developed. Very good coach that develops very good teams, but no love loss with opposing teams. But, like I've said right away, you can also argue that you play until the final horn.

It's really sad to argue against people who want to use Standing Rock as a game to argue about sportsmanship strictly based on the score. But anyway, there has been a lot worse situations that have happened on the sports field than what happened during Harvey vs New Salem.
bigpoppakdog

Postby 07AF » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:12 am

Ok, let us say that Harvey was winning 20-0 like they were with 25 seconds to go like there was, except New Salem had the ball. What do you think they should have done? Kneel it to end the game, or run a play and try to score even though there was no hope at all of winning. Run a play right? And don't say their is a difference because there is none. Harvey wins New Salem loses. Get em next time.
And please do not question the integrity of coach Sandy or his coaching staff. YOU DO NOT KNOW THEM. They are upstanding men with a love for high school football. They shake the other team's hand after every game just like every other coach and player. If you feel the need to further continue discussion of the game go ahead... just leave nasty talk about people out of it please.
07AF

Postby A - Football Fan » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:26 am

My only other thought on this is who was the player that scored the last touchdown for Harvey? Was it Kordell Wolfe? My thought is that it was a second stringer. If coach Sandy had the second string in at this point, which is usually the case, then I would have run plays too. It gives kids who might not get the chance to play every game a chance to play against teams in a varsity game rather than a Jr. varsity game. Any time a second string player gets a chance to play in a game I would try to get them as many snaps and looks at different situations as I could. You never know when an injury could thrust that player into a starting position and having that extra game experience might be a big difference on how they will perform later. I just want to know who scored the last touchdown for Harvey. If you can point me in the correct direction as to where I can find a box score for the game I would greatly appreciate it.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:41 pm

i'm not sure. I'll check.

one more thing. I do not know them except for the apparent need to score one more touchdown on the last play of the game versus taking a knee. I'm sorry, they are not GODS of football that are protected from criticism. I have not said anything that is across the line. The harshest thing I have said is that it was a "classless" move to not take a knee. Hardly across the line. But, your right, enough said. I indicated that in the other thread. Let's focus on what velva did well.
bigpoppakdog

Postby ND_Coach » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:34 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:Standing Rock is AA not A. Watford pounded the Rock worse Friday. Anybody going to call them poor sports? Highly doubtful.

My simple question is this. With 25 seconds left AND first and 10 why not take a knee? The clock still runs doesn't it? New Salem calling any timeouts? NO. New Salems all-region and very possibly all state linebacker sitting on the sidelines in serious pain from cramps(there are enough teams now that know who I am talking about). Find me an example where a team has a THREE score lead with 25 seconds left and first and 10 who did not take a knee.

Was it poor sportsmanship. YES, without a doubt, from my side. The comments I've received from people from that area is that is "that is Sandy." So, it's clear the rep he has developed. Very good coach that develops very good teams, but no love loss with opposing teams. But, like I've said right away, you can also argue that you play until the final horn.

It's really sad to argue against people who want to use Standing Rock as a game to argue about sportsmanship strictly based on the score. But anyway, there has been a lot worse situations that have happened on the sports field than what happened during Harvey vs New Salem.

The score of Standing Rock game was not my arguement for sportsmanship, so Watford's score against them has no bearing in the argument, nor does the fact that they are AA. My argument was that New Salem scored in the closing seconds when they could have taken a knee against Standing Rock. Which is the same thing Harvey did that led to them being called classless. So, if that is the case and it is a classeless move then New Salem is just as guilty as Harvey, maybe even more guilty considering they had at least a SIX score lead.
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:55 pm

Man, I don't recall that. I'll have to check. If it did I'll have to open pretty wide to fit my size 11 foot in my mouth.
bigpoppakdog

Postby bigpoppakdog » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:59 am

I noticed that New Salem had their bench in the second half. They did score towards the end of the 4th, not sure exact time. Harvey had their starters in and their big stud did score the last touchdown. I can see the argue. I guess I have about half my foot in my mouth over this one.
bigpoppakdog

Next

Return to A