Region 1

The teams in Class A

Region 1

Postby hoopsstar2391 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:43 pm

Lets hear some predictions and what everyone thinks.
hoopsstar2391
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Region 1

Postby LBC » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:55 am

Well, After Week one.

Linton has defeated Mobridge and Milnor North Sargent destroyed Hatton-Northwood. Also Enderlin-Maple Valley destroyed Cavalier. Lisbon defeated Mayport CG and then lost to a questionable Valley City team. Lamoure also lost to Larimore.

So...

Linton
Milnor North Sargent
Maple Valley Enderlin
Lisbon???

I don't know how Kindred performed opening week. Maybe they will be in the mix???

As an add-on in the Region 2

Park River certainly made a statement by defeating Grafton. The rest of region 2 looks fairly week. Anyone know anything about Langdon?
LBC
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cubsfan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:34 am

I don't know how much you can look at the Valley City game. Last year Valley City was the only team to beat Lisbon before the state championship game.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby number_one_fan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:42 am

Yeah keep in mind Lisbon played a game on Tuesday, having only 3 days of rest until they had to play on saturday. That can wear down a team or maybe the fact that the Valley City coach had an opportunity to scout on Tuesday, whereas Lisbon did not have that kind of opportunity. I dont know, but that could be some reasons too. Who knows it is still early in the season.
number_one_fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ND_Coach » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:44 pm

Who in region 1 had big games offensively and defensively in Week One?
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Mailman_25 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:52 pm

So far, it looks like Lisbon and Linton again. Looking at the scores, Puruntun from Linton is going to have an incredible season. And same for Brandon Schell for Lisbon. Is that game in Lisbon? I hope so, so I can make the drive. No way I'm trekking to Linton.
Mailman_25
NDPreps Starter

Postby Number_2 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:55 pm

Mailman_25 wrote:So far, it looks like Lisbon and Linton again. Looking at the scores, Puruntun from Linton is going to have an incredible season. And same for Brandon Schell for Lisbon. Is that game in Lisbon? I hope so, so I can make the drive. No way I'm trekking to Linton.

No the game is in Linton this year
Number_2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cubsfan » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:13 pm

I heard Milnor-North Sargent beat Lisbon something like 20-14? not sure on the score but definitely know that Lisbon lost.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Truce » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:27 am

MNS beat Lisbon 20-12, and the score dosent reflect what kind of game it was. Lisbon scored right before halftime, then off the second play after half Schell broke one for 56 yards for a TD. this game shoulda been a 20-6 Game.

Schell only had 83 yards on the game. with 56 from one play.
Truce
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:34 am

Truce wrote:MNS beat Lisbon 20-12, and the score dosent reflect what kind of game it was. Lisbon scored right before halftime, then off the second play after half Schell broke one for 56 yards for a TD. this game shoulda been a 20-6 Game.

Schell only had 83 yards on the game. with 56 from one play.

Actually Lisbon scored one one of their first plays of the second quarter, then on the first play from scrimmage in the third quarter. The game was really not as close as the score indicated. Milnor N/S had about 360+ total yards while holding Lisbon to 150+.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby steve34 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:33 am

Current Region 1 Tie-breaker

Week 6--Lisbon 7, Linton-HMB 0
Week 5--Linton-HMB 20, Milnor-North Sargent 6
Week 4--Milnor-North Sargent 20, Lisbon 12

Point-differential tiebreaker states that the point differential in the common games (the games played between the tied teams) is used to determine top seed. Once that team is withdrawn, the tiebreaking process begins once again with head-to-head competition.

Current point differential status:
Linton-HMB: +7
Lisbon: -1
Milnor-North Sargent: -6

Result: Linton-HMB is top seed.

With Linton-HMB removed, tie between Lisbon and Milnor-North Sargent reverts back to head-to-head:

Week 4--Milnor-North Sargent 20, Lisbon 12.

Result: Milnor is #2 seed. Lisbon is #3.

This scenario, of course, assumes teams will take care of business the rest of the way.
steve34
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby mp44 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:51 pm

Thanks for doing the legwork Steve34, but like you said that's assuming everyone wins out. I know Linton and Milnor/NS still have games on the road against a much-improved Maple Valley/Enderlin team. MVE is sitting at 4-2 and they generally play solid defense. I don't think the 47-0 loss to Lisbon was a true representation of what MVE can do.
I'm not predicting a win, but if those two teams don't come to play MVE could possibly pull off the upset.
mp44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby steve34 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:04 pm

I hear ya, MP. The point I was trying to illustrate is that if the season ended today, that's the way the standings would end, and I'm not sure I like that. If you're going to use point differential as a tie-breaker, you're using it because head-to-head left you with no clear-cut winner of the tie. I think you should use point differential all the way through.

In this situation, I feel Linton should be the #1 seed, Lisbon should be #2, and Milnor-North Sargent should be #3. I respect Milnor-North Sargent's win over Lisbon, but they finish with the lowest point differential of the three-way tie. Instead, the point differential is only used to decide the top seed. So, Lisbon is not rewarded in any way for going to Linton and winning.

Sure, I know people would look at the other result and say that Milnor wouldn't be rewarded for going to Lisbon and winning. But the point differential is used to decided who played the better pair of games. In this case, Linton has played the best pair, Lisbon has played the next best pair, and Milnor-North Sargent has played the third best pair.
steve34
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby mp44 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:20 pm

I've always hated the point-differential, scores can be run up while some teams are content to run out the clock (not saying that happened here). Having said that, I don't know how else you could decide a three-team tie.

But that's why once you do separate one team out, I favor the head-to-head rule, especially in a situation like this. (Assuming they all win out) Milnor/North Sargent should not have to travel to Lisbon for the playoffs after beating them in the regular season. The point differential already puts one team ahead of another team it lost too, let's not do it twice.

(But if you're a Lisbon fan I understand your frustration)
mp44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cubsfan » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:53 am

mp44 wrote:I've always hated the point-differential, scores can be run up while some teams are content to run out the clock (not saying that happened here). Having said that, I don't know how else you could decide a three-team tie.

But that's why once you do separate one team out, I favor the head-to-head rule, especially in a situation like this. (Assuming they all win out) Milnor/North Sargent should not have to travel to Lisbon for the playoffs after beating them in the regular season. The point differential already puts one team ahead of another team it lost too, let's not do it twice.

(But if you're a Lisbon fan I understand your frustration)

The point differential can only go up to seventeen points,
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to A