A-11 Offense

The teams in Class A

A-11 Offense

Postby ND_Coach » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:33 am

One of the hottest topics I've seen in HS football this off season was the A-11 offense. If you havenot heard about it check out www.a11offense.com or search youtube for it. In some of the articles I have read it listed that the A-11 would be seen in ND this fall. I was wondering if anyone knew what teams if any have put all or part of this offense in?
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: A-11 Offense

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:21 am

I like the contrarian approach to football, I like the concept, I have read about it and seen some video of it in action.
Now this year there are a ton of teams running it from youth to college I would not doubt one bit if a coach in N.D. has not picked up on it and may use the A-11 formation in some situations, more likely it will be a A-9 formation on the nine man side of the world in N.D. There are so many things that I find studying the game of football that would absolutly kill in 9-man and the A-11 or A-9 would be one.

However in a couple years the A-11 will be another fad offense and a bunch of half baked coaches will run a half baked version of it. Much like the spread is a fad offense now.

If someone wanted to be contrarian, you could run the lonesome pole cat, or the dead T, or the stack I, or over balance single wing with the spinning fullback. Those would also kill because nobody else runs it and your opponents would have a difficult time preparing for you with their base defense.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:53 am

Holy Crap, I did not look at the link you posted to the A-11 until after I replied. The A-11 network? This offense will spread to pass happy weak minded individuals everywhere like wildfire.

Until then it will be a nighmare for d-coordinators when a team lines up in the A-11 - (A-9)
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:30 am

Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:49 am

Hey Guru, maybe you can help me with a question. When I looked at the film clips of St. Mary's it appeared that "covered" receivers - the middle receiver in a 3-man bunch for example that all appeared to be on the same yard line at the snap - were going downfield. Isn't that an ineligible receiver downfield?

And also, some of the covered receivers would circle back a few yards and catch passes in the flat behind the line of scrimmage. I thought covered receivers, regardless of your number, could not catch a pass. To me, that's like an interior lineman taking a few steps back and catching a screen pass.

Are their different rules regarding eligible receivers in high school? And how in the world can the officials keep track of who can go downfield and who can't???
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:01 pm

You actually can throw a pass to an offesive lineman as long as it's hehind the LOS and not a forward pass. (BECAUSE IT'S A LIVE BALL). The A-11 takes advantage of this rule. Some of the formations in the A-11 the center is elgible because he is uncovered and is the last man on the LOS.

It would be a nightmare to ref. The A-11 uses every odd ball loop hole and rule in the book, the refs would have to have some kind of study guide before each game.

Refs miss covered tight ends all the time that go out for passes in high school with a normal offense, I can't imagine what it would be like trying to keep track with the A-11.

If I was a d-coorinator I would say screw it and send 10 guys after the ball on every play that would be better than trying to prepare that week sitting back on your heels and trying to defend the goofy thing.
I would also make the centers life a living heck, he has to be one of the most important cogs in the the whole offenese.
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby bus » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:40 pm

i cant ever see this offense being the main formation on a state championship team, but i guess if a team can run it to perfection it may happen.
CrusadeR
bus
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:22 am

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:You actually can throw a pass to an offesive lineman as long as it's hehind the LOS and not a forward pass.

Why does it have to be behind the LOS? If you're past the LOS wouldn't a non-forward pass be a lateral, which you could throw to anyone.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:30 am

You are right, a backward pass is a "loose" ball not a live ball, weather or not it is ahead or behind the LOS. The ball remains loose until it is caught, recovered or out of bounds.
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby smallball » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:13 am

Doesn't BCN (9man) play this (a-9)
smallball

Return to A