State Champs?

The teams in Class A

Re: State Champs?

Postby TapouTfighter » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:56 pm

Dont even start with the "bad spot" calling. I heard a lisbon player say that after the game during the interviews and i thought it was sad. Bottom line is they had two chances to do it and didnt. Then they allowed Harvey to go over 50 yards in about a minute.
TapouTfighter
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Claz B Fan » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:38 pm

Not sure why Coach Bubach did not punt the ball away and make Harvey go atleast 75 yards instead of 50
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby lisbon bronco fan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:03 am

Coach Bubach made that call because on there offense was doing pretty good in the 2 half and 2 they had shut down tha Harvey defense until they turned the ball over the following play
lisbon bronco fan

Postby sportsdude » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:04 am

Do NOT blame the game on a spot. You could say the same about the pass interference call on Sandy earlier in the game. The calls evened out.

It was a very well-played game, probably the best I have seen all season. Congratulations to both teams for making it this far and to the Hornets for winning the championship!

Also, Lisbon's running back gave Harvey quite a surprise. He ran wild over them. I believe that he gained the most yards on Harvey all season. I don't know the official stats, but I think he was only the second to get over 100 yards all season, including McAtee the game before.
sportsdude

Postby BballFan1307 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:04 am

i can see goin for the first maybe in the first half or even third quarter, but when you are up by 4 points with a minute left and your defense has been playin as well as it has, i just think yoiu need to punt that ball. Had they punted the could've possibly had Harvey starting from about 80-85 yards away from the end zone with a minute left, with their 2nd string quarterback.(whom i was VERY impressed with the poise he had.) But it's a game of chances and they took one it didnt pay off. But i have to say that Harvey's qb Reinowski deserves alot of credit for comin in there and making some BIG throws in the STATE championnship and having the poise and not letting the nerves get to him in that last minute. Congrats to both teams on a great year.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:32 am

BballFan1307 wrote:i can see goin for the first maybe in the first half or even third quarter, but when you are up by 4 points with a minute left and your defense has been playin as well as it has, i just think yoiu need to punt that ball. Had they punted the could've possibly had Harvey starting from about 80-85 yards away from the end zone with a minute left, with their 2nd string quarterback.(whom i was VERY impressed with the poise he had.) But it's a game of chances and they took one it didnt pay off. But i have to say that Harvey's qb Reinowski deserves alot of credit for comin in there and making some BIG throws in the STATE championnship and having the poise and not letting the nerves get to him in that last minute. Congrats to both teams on a great year.

Probably helped that he didn't have a hand in his face all game. I was impressed with how much time Harvey's line gave him. He had a nice round pocket and no hands in his face. All in all great game. Game goes to show you that football is a game of numbers. If Lisbon's linemen have to go both ways like MOST every team in the state, I don't think they are even at that game. What it came down to was Harvey's skill verse Lisbon's depth. Lisbon's depth kept them in the game while Harvey's skill won it for them.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby basketballer » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:07 am

I think this call is one thing that I will agree with Bubach on. With the depth that Lisbon has and Running Back(s) that they have you would think that their line is way more fresher compared to their d-line and that their running back will put his head down and get 1-3 yards. Also if Lisbon got the first the game would be sealed for them. This is just my opinion.
basketballer

Postby cubsfan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:28 pm

I know I made a reply on here earlier on how good Ryan Fromke was, but why didn't he play more? When he was in there he was a very dominating presence on the inside.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ND Sports Fan » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:34 pm

Coach Bubach said afterwards that he would make the same call again if he had it to do over, and why not? There running game was doing very well, I've seen all of Harvey's games and NO ONE has run the ball like that against them. You're line is fresher, and Harvey had not given them a lot of reasons to think that they would score from the 50 if you don't get the 1st down. If you make it, the game is over. Give the Harvey kids a well deserved pat on the back for coming up with 2 huge stops, and then having the poise and the determination to get the ball in the End zone when they needed to. This was a great game between 2 very good teams. I will have to admit that Lisbon was much better than advertised. I didn't think that a team that basically only ran the football would have a chance to put up 18 against the Harvey D. Congrats to both teams on great seasons, and thanks for giving the fans a very memorable title game.
ND Sports Fan

Postby 07AF » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:02 pm

I give props to schell for the amazing game he had. 246 yrds i believe. That's quite a feat for a back against Harvey.

Congrats to Harvey on winning their 2nd state title in 9 years. It is well deserved.
07AF

Postby Tu-Big » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:08 pm

cubsfan wrote:Wow what a game! I know some people will disagree with me but Lisbon's head coach gave that game away at the end. They should have punted, although they were given a bad spot, they should have punted. I personally think Lisbon outplayed Harvey, but Harvey made some crucial stops when they needed them, it seemed to me that Harvey wanted it a little more.

Completely agree with this post, Lisbon outplayed Harvey and should have punted. Even if your running game has been solid the entire game, you have to punt it because Harvey, on the other hand, was struggling at that time. Punt the ball out of the end zone if you have to and let your defense win it for you. Instead you go for it, get stopped and now Harvey has the ball on their 50 with plenty of time and all their fans and players are pumped up and you've lost all of your momentum. Make the 2nd string qb beat you...
Tu-Big

Postby A - Football Fan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:56 pm

I only heard the last minute and a half of this game on the radio while I was hunting. I wasn't happy with the play call on the fourth and a yard. According to the announcers on the radio it did come down to the spot of the ball. I won't argue for or against the spot of the ball. The refs do their best and that is that. I did some reffing ( not for football) and no matter what the sport it is a difficult job and for those guys to be reffing the championship game speaks volumes for their experience. I will dispute the play call. Why do teams always go up the middle? A sweep almost always gets yards if only one. Anyway, it's in the books and sounds like one heck of a game. Here is my next question. Who is the team to beat next year.... or is it too soon to be asking about next year?
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby basketballer » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:38 pm

A - Football Fan wrote:I only heard the last minute and a half of this game on the radio while I was hunting. I wasn't happy with the play call on the fourth and a yard. According to the announcers on the radio it did come down to the spot of the ball. I won't argue for or against the spot of the ball. The refs do their best and that is that. I did some reffing ( not for football) and no matter what the sport it is a difficult job and for those guys to be reffing the championship game speaks volumes for their experience. I will dispute the play call. Why do teams always go up the middle? A sweep almost always gets yards if only one. Anyway, it's in the books and sounds like one heck of a game. Here is my next question. Who is the team to beat next year.... or is it too soon to be asking about next year?

Linton, Lisbon, and Harvey (Same teams as this year)
basketballer

Postby baller01 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:47 pm

basketballer wrote:
A - Football Fan wrote:I only heard the last minute and a half of this game on the radio while I was hunting. I wasn't happy with the play call on the fourth and a yard. According to the announcers on the radio it did come down to the spot of the ball. I won't argue for or against the spot of the ball. The refs do their best and that is that. I did some reffing ( not for football) and no matter what the sport it is a difficult job and for those guys to be reffing the championship game speaks volumes for their experience. I will dispute the play call. Why do teams always go up the middle? A sweep almost always gets yards if only one. Anyway, it's in the books and sounds like one heck of a game. Here is my next question. Who is the team to beat next year.... or is it too soon to be asking about next year?

Are you sure about Lisbon? They lose a lot. There whole offensive and defensive line pretty much. Sure they return Schell but they still need a line infront of him no matter how good he is.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby basketballer » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:17 pm

baller01 wrote:
basketballer wrote:

Are you sure about Lisbon? They lose a lot. There whole offensive and defensive line pretty much. Sure they return Schell but they still need a line infront of him no matter how good he is.

You are right, however they do have one of the best if not the best freshman class this year in the state. If that class works hard and lifts hard this summer they could be pretty good. Obviously their year is 2010 and 2011, but I think they will be ok next year. Probably the 2nd or 3rd team in Region 1.
basketballer

Postby 07AF » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:30 pm

I think it was a good call to go for it. The payoff would have been bigger had they gotten it and the coach would have been a hero. And if Lisbon had punted and Harvey had driven 80 yards and gotten it then he would be the goat for not going for the first because everyone would say they would have gotten it. I think any call he would have made there would have been the right one.

Velva will probly be up there again next year. Not? They are returning alot of players right?
07AF

Postby LBC » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:19 pm

Claz B Fan wrote:Not sure why Coach Bubach did not punt the ball away and make Harvey go atleast 75 yards instead of 50

Has anyone who is questioning Bubach's decision to go for it thought about what would have happened if the punt had been BLOCKED?
LBC
NDPreps Reserve

Postby number_one_fan » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:16 am

Man what a heck of a game, sure too bad that the refs decided it. It would have been a better ending if they would have let the teams play it out themselves. Lisbon quarterback had that first down by at least a yard. I hope the refs review a video tape and can learn from it for the future. Games at this level should always be decided by the players on the field.
number_one_fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby LBC » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:11 am

number_one_fan wrote:Man what a heck of a game, sure too bad that the refs decided it. It would have been a better ending if they would have let the teams play it out themselves. Lisbon quarterback had that first down by at least a yard. I hope the refs review a video tape and can learn from it for the future. Games at this level should always be decided by the players on the field.

O.K. Last comment on this issue. Yes, I believe Lisbon had the first down, but ultimately, they still had the game. Harvey did make a play when they had to and Lisbon did not. Harvey wins. But, as has been said, WHAT A GAME!!! Both sides played hard, and very good football. Congratulations to both teams and their coaches.
LBC
NDPreps Reserve

Postby d88 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:39 pm

cubsfan wrote:I know I made a reply on here earlier on how good Ryan Fromke was, but why didn't he play more? When he was in there he was a very dominating presence on the inside.

He had a broken foot and it was his first game back from that...and his replacement johnny carter played very well when he was hurt...he had sacks and tackles for loss in a few games and a very important int. against linton...
d88

Postby d88 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:55 pm

baller01 wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:i can see goin for the first maybe in the first half or even third quarter, but when you are up by 4 points with a minute left and your defense has been playin as well as it has, i just think yoiu need to punt that ball. Had they punted the could've possibly had Harvey starting from about 80-85 yards away from the end zone with a minute left, with their 2nd string quarterback.(whom i was VERY impressed with the poise he had.) But it's a game of chances and they took one it didnt pay off. But i have to say that Harvey's qb Reinowski deserves alot of credit for comin in there and making some BIG throws in the STATE championnship and having the poise and not letting the nerves get to him in that last minute. Congrats to both teams on a great year.

Probably helped that he didn't have a hand in his face all game. I was impressed with how much time Harvey's line gave him. He had a nice round pocket and no hands in his face. All in all great game. Game goes to show you that football is a game of numbers. If Lisbon's linemen have to go both ways like MOST every team in the state, I don't think they are even at that game. What it came down to was Harvey's skill verse Lisbon's depth. Lisbon's depth kept them in the game while Harvey's skill won it for them.

Lisbon was deep but they had the skill players to make it happen...their lineman dont play both ways because they had a lot of players with similar talent...most coaches still would have picked the best five and only played them...I was impressed with Lisbon coming back after getting down to Harvey after Harvey controlled the first quarter...Brandon Schell was awesome..he was running against a 6 man line and essentially 5 linebackers in parts of the 2nd half and still getting first downs...I think Schell runs for 300 yards and the Broncos win if they spread the field...they ran every play out out the tight I formation until the last fifteen seconds...but a great game for both teams...
d88

Postby 07AF » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:27 pm

I have seen the replay at least 10 times. And I do not believe that he got the first. It was so close that I think the refs will think they made the right decision no matter what.
The refs did not decide the game the teams did. Lisbon couldn't get the yards when it mattered most.
07AF

Postby d-stopper45 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:08 pm

i know a good optometrist - you should see him.
d-stopper45

Postby number_one_fan » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Agreed! you should probably go see that optometrist. If you have seen a replay it is very evident that Lisbon's quarterback had the first down by a yard. I know that the refs do not have the benefit of seeing a replay, but at that point in the game they shouldn't be the deciding factor.
number_one_fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 07AF » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:20 am

A yard huh. I just watched it again. I am looking at the paused image of where his forward progess stopped. He made it just past the 45 and his momentum stopped. Don't you dare talk smack to me just because of my opinion.
07AF

PreviousNext

Return to A