cavalier football

The teams in Class A

Postby c-man50 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:05 pm

has anyone noticed that cavaliers football program has been going down the drain after being the biggest power house in ND i feel really bad for them i dont know about anyone else but I think they're missing Rod Oksendahl, but i'll give mitch ford alot of credit for carrying his team to a few wins, anyone else know any teams kinda like the tornados
c-man50

Postby COACHWEST » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:46 am

Welcome to High school athletics.
COACHWEST
NDPreps Starter

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:23 am

c-man50 wrote:has anyone noticed that cavaliers football program has been going down the drain after being the biggest power house in ND i feel really bad for them i dont know about anyone else but I think they're missing Rod Oksendahl, but i'll give mitch ford alot of credit for carrying his team to a few wins, anyone else know any teams kinda like the tornados

Cavalier is now back in A and you posted this in AA But that is beside the point.

I know some teams like that.

How about Shanley they have two national records for consecutive wins and a lot more championships than Cavalier.

Shanley is winless this year and who is thier assistant coach?? hummmm. Oh yeah Rod Oksendahl.

"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:23 am

c-man50 wrote:has anyone noticed that cavaliers football program has been going down the drain after being the biggest power house in ND i feel really bad for them i dont know about anyone else but I think they're missing Rod Oksendahl, but i'll give mitch ford alot of credit for carrying his team to a few wins, anyone else know any teams kinda like the tornados

To me its more of a talent issue then anything else, Cavalier just doesn't have it right now and I don't know if they will again.  Numbers keep declining there just like anywhere else in the state.  I think coach Oksendahl would be the first to tell ya a lot of success that Cavalier had when he coached there was due to a ton of talent and and hard work by the kids he coached.  I played for Cavalier and in no way do i feel bad for them or anybody around the state should either.  You enjoy the good years, and just work to get better during the not so good years.

Grid Iron you seem to be a little bitter when you speak of Oksendahl, any reason or not?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:35 am

Grid Iron you seem to be a little bitter when you speak of Oksendahl, any reason or not?

No, not at all, I was simply trying to make a point because I thought the original question is kind of dumb and he seemed to be blaming their decline on Oksendahl leaving.

Rod is one of the all time greats and I have nothing but respect for him.

"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Stromer » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:26 am

I don't feel bad for them at all.  There are tons of other teams who haven't won a state title, let alone be in the running for on, in years.  They had a good run and all good things must come to an end.  Let some others have a chance.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BB11 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:37 am

Simply put - They had one losing season at 4-5 in 1982 in the 28 years that Coach Oksendahl was coach. Last year they went 2-7? You don't have enormous amounts of talent for 27 out of 28 years. COACHING has a lot to do with the state they are in now.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:21 am

I agree, coaching does have a lot to do with it, one losing season in 28 years simply awesome! more coaches should aspire to do the same.

That is a tough act to follow.  The current coach at Cavalier, Rod Mack, was a long time assistant to Oksendahl, They had great lines with Mack coaching and made it to four straight championships.

Let me ask you this, like Rod Mack or not, do you think anyone could have stepped in and done much better?  Do you think Mack deserved the chance to be the head coach after being a long time loyal assistant?

I think he did deserve the shot, I think everyone saw the writing on the wall as far as athletes coming up through the system, and so did Oksendahl. 

Rod Mack may rub some people the wrong way but believe me he wants to win as bad as anyone.  
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndsportsfan14 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:24 pm

Same as Carringtons program didnt  they use to be a tough team??
ndsportsfan14
NDPreps All-State

Postby Spoiler92 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:44 pm

Rod Oksendahl saw that the numbers and talent weren't going to be there and that is why he got out when he did!
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing!
Spoiler92
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:48 am

Spoiler92 wrote:Rod Oksendahl saw that the numbers and talent weren't going to be there and that is why he got out when he did!
I'm surprised he didn't quit when Tim graduated but I think he saw he had enough talent in Anderson and Vistad to make a run at another state championship run. I also believe parents and the kids asked him to stay one more year for that reason too.  Another thing was the dumba$$ administration and school board there, wanna talk about idiots. 
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 7-11 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:40 am

Anderson may well be one of Coach Oksendahl's best athletes in his Cavalier history.  Most people may not know it, but he and Vistad reportedly tore ACLs in the semifinals against Larimore, and played Velva in the championship less than full strength.  Anderson apparently had surgery before getting to NDSU.  Yes, they were blessed with good athletes, but there are other programs out there with studs who don't have the results and dominance.  I bet Mayville State wishes they looked a whole lot closer at Coach Oksendahl and his contacts with local high schools, then continuing from within on a down program.
7-11

Postby rep » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:49 am

7-11 wrote:Anderson may well be one of Coach Oksendahl's best athletes in his Cavalier history.  Most people may not know it, but he and Vistad reportedly tore ACLs in the semifinals against Larimore, and played Velva in the championship less than full strength.  Anderson apparently had surgery before getting to NDSU.  Yes, they were blessed with good athletes, but there are other programs out there with studs who don't have the results and dominance.  I bet Mayville State wishes they looked a whole lot closer at Coach Oksendahl and his contacts with local high schools, then continuing from within on a down program.

my understanding was masu couldn't hire him with what he wanted to do, it isn't that they wouldn't. the school has enough financial troubles keeping its doors open, much less putting anything extra into their football team. i think he would have been a great stride forward for the program also, but if the school couldn't back what he wanted to do, it is better for both sides that he didn't give it a try there.
rep

Postby BB11 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:34 am

[user=267]rep[/user] wrote:
7-11 wrote:Anderson may well be one of Coach Oksendahl's best athletes in his Cavalier history.  Most people may not know it, but he and Vistad reportedly tore ACLs in the semifinals against Larimore, and played Velva in the championship less than full strength.  Anderson apparently had surgery before getting to NDSU.  Yes, they were blessed with good athletes, but there are other programs out there with studs who don't have the results and dominance.  I bet Mayville State wishes they looked a whole lot closer at Coach Oksendahl and his contacts with local high schools, then continuing from within on a down program.

my understanding was masu couldn't hire him with what he wanted to do, it isn't that they wouldn't. the school has enough financial troubles keeping its doors open, much less putting anything extra into their football team. i think he would have been a great stride forward for the program also, but if the school couldn't back what he wanted to do, it is better for both sides that he didn't give it a try there.

I also heard this - and the fact that the job started to become less and less enticing for him because Mayville was unwilling to bend for him.
Carrington is not a good example - they had some average teams in the past and a couple of really good years - but they weren't dominant year in and out like Cavalier had been
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:05 am

rep wrote:

Why have a program if your not going to finance it properly, Oksendahl went in there not being stupid and think a coach can just walk in there and turn that college program with out some money support.  From what I'm told  he was not ever offered the job at all, they should have atleast offered him the job said this is what we will do for ya take it or leave it.  But anyway it doesn't matter who they bring in right now until they wanna spend some money on the football program it won't do anything.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wombat » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:41 am

From what I heard (this could be wrong, but it's waht i heard as a student at Mayville State) is that he was not initially offered the job, but it was offered to a guy from Iowa, who turned it down because of lack of financial backing. Oksendahl was offered the job 2nd and turned it down for the very same reasons, then it went to their current coach who was the other finalist named for the job.

Cavalier had a good run of talented, DEDICATED players come through that program and we were successful for many years. We always lifted weights in the past, but when I was a junior and senior that was taken to another level, as was team offseason workouts (which was organized by captains) and we worked extremely hard for what we got. I have spent a lot of time around Cavalier lately and have noticed a new trend has developed... Instead of working hard and taking what you want through that hard work a lot of the kids have the attitude that "hey, we're CAVALIER, so give us what we have coming... and lately they've got it.

As far as coaching goes, Rod Oksendahl was a tremendous coach and I don't know that we would have had the success we had without him, however the other coaches on the staff were great too and contributed a lot to the success of the program as well. Rod Mack knows the game of football, especially on the devensive side of the ball, and will do just fine. there is another wave of talent coming up through the system and if they put in the time and effort could end up being back on top of ND within a few years.
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:35 am

ndfan wrote:
rep wrote:

Why have a program if your not going to finance it properly, Oksendahl went in there not being stupid and think a coach can just walk in there and turn that college program with out some money support.  From what I'm told  he was not ever offered the job at all, they should have atleast offered him the job said this is what we will do for ya take it or leave it.  But anyway it doesn't matter who they bring in right now until they wanna spend some money on the football program it won't do anything.

i have been trying to figure that out for years.
rep

Postby PA42 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:43 am

ndfan wrote:
rep wrote:

I don't think there is any doubt that oksendahl should have been either the first or second choice. The reason the first guy backed out was because once they hired him they started talking budget and when he found out the program was not going to be properly financed and he already had a head coaching job. I think they would have hired oksendahl but they knew he wasn't going to accept unless they did something to the budget and that wasn't going to happen. But give Jody Ford credit, it seems at the moment he was the right choice. He has done exactly what they wanted him to do make the team competitve without increasing the budget. And although I don't see them winning the conference in the next five, ten, fifty years. They are a much improved team this season with the possibility of winning three to four games.
PA42

Postby Wombat » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:39 pm

I would agree with you 100%, I've been in Mayville for 4 years now and I think they've won a grand total of 4 games... The first year I was here we were competitive in about 3-4 games and just blew it, the next year we got blown out of almost every game we played with the exception of what was at that time considered one of the biggest upsets in Dac-10 history when the comets beat Minot on the road... Last year I think they won a game or 2, but were blasted by any team who was any good. This year Mayville has been competitive in almost all the games they played, have one win under the belt, and are certainly improving. Cudos to coach Ford.
Mitch Greenwood

Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UNDFan » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:58 am

ya i dont know what happened to them
Last edited by UNDFan on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
UNDFan

Postby Region 2 fan » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:52 am

How far does everyone think Cavalier will go this year in the playoffs?
Region 2 fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby PA42 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:49 am

To me it seems that the tornadoes have a shot to go to the semis. Theyare extremely strong and have the best running back in the state.
PA42

Postby Diggity Dawg » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:43 pm

horne98 wrote:To me it seems that the tornadoes have a shot to go to the semis. Theyare extremely strong and have the best running back in the state.

who do you have them losing to in the semis then? I dont think they will get past lisbon in the quarter finals.
Diggity Dawg
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 6-Time State Chump » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:38 am

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:[user=4312]c-man50[/user] wrote:
has anyone noticed that cavaliers football program has been going down the drain after being the biggest power house in ND i feel really bad for them i dont know about anyone else but I think they're missing Rod Oksendahl, but i'll give mitch ford alot of credit for carrying his team to a few wins, anyone else know any teams kinda like the tornados

Shanley is winless this year and who is thier assistant coach?? hummmm. Oh yeah Rod Oksendahl.
Ummm....and what are you getting at? 

6-Time State Chump

Postby Wombat » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:41 pm

Mitch Ford has 1,851 yards coming into this quarterfinal game. I can't remember for sure if Matt Anderson broke Cavalier's single season rushing record or not, but he was close if he didn't. I know Alan Sundby was the record holder after rushing for a little over 2,200 yds...

Cavalier has had some tremendous running backs and some great teams over the years, but Mitch Ford could be only the 3rd back to hit the 2,000 yard mark in school history and not to take anything away from any of the other 2 backs or the teams they played on, but if he can do it I would have to say it would be done with much less of a supporting cast around him.

I haven't seen Lisbon play this year so I dont' think i could make a very accurate prediction on the outcome, but so far no one has stopped Ford (even in the 3 losses) so my prediction is he gets his 150+ yds and goes over 2,000. Lisbon is a very tough place to have to go play at though! I'm going to predict that whoever wins this game represents the East in the state championship.
Mitch Greenwood

Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to A