ALL State Team

The teams in Class A

ALL State Team

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:01 pm

What a Joke... Really?
Dickinson Trinity has 6 Kids on the First Team All State and 2 on the Second team?
Kindred has 2 on the first team and 1 on the second????
Langdon has 3 on the Frist team and 1 on the Second??? Really? (maybe the best team in the state)
DT is a good team but they don't have 8 all state players.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Re: ALL State Team

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:08 pm

Also Riley Sunram does not win Player of the year? What planet does that happen on.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:08 pm

This is embarrassing.

8 DT kids? 3 Kindred? Huh, a guy would have figured that DT would have dominated Kindred, and not vice versa.

4 Velva kids on the first team offense? 4 of the best 11 offensive players in the state played for Velva. Huh.

4 from Shiloh. More than Kindred. 3 from Killdeer, 3 from DesLacs...... The same.

Vince Lombardi must have coached Kindred to squeeze so much out of that limited team.....

What an embarrassment.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Your daddy » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:11 pm

Oakes safety led the state in interceptions and didn't even make the second team. Crazy!
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:35 pm

Your daddy wrote:Oakes safety led the state in interceptions and didn't even make the second team. Crazy!

That Crazy... Oakes was probably better than DT and one on the second team?
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:50 pm

Nominated by each teams' coaches
Voted on by all Class A coaches

It's not the kid's fault they were voted on...you have a problem with the coach's votes; take your frustrations out with them.

Maybe Kindred deserved more representatives but maybe the individual stats (cause we all know that's what is used for All-States) weren't that impressive as compared to the TEAM result on the field (the most important stat).

Everyone is going to have a bias towards someone not making it...but it's not worth tearing down other athletes and teams to make your point. I have no 'dog in this fight'...congrats to ALL athletes. Congrats to Kindred's athletes on quite the season
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:55 pm

WalkingStick wrote:Nominated by each teams' coaches
Voted on by all Class A coaches

It's not the kid's fault they were voted on...you have a problem with the coach's votes; take your frustrations out with them.

Maybe Kindred deserved more representatives but maybe the individual stats (cause we all know that's what is used for All-States) weren't that impressive as compared to the TEAM result on the field (the most important stat).

Everyone is going to have a bias towards someone not making it...but it's not worth tearing down other athletes and teams to make your point. I have no 'dog in this fight'...congrats to ALL athletes. Congrats to Kindred's athletes on quite the season

Who said it was the kids fault? No dog in the fight either. I said it was ridiculous that DT had 8 and Kindred had 3. I stand by it. 37-6 tells me I'm correct.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:38 pm

All State Breakdown- including all schools with at least 1 1st team selection. If I made a mistake please let me know. This is the list I found on KX News

Dickinson Trinity- 7 total selections, 5 on 1st team
Central Cass- 5 total selections, 3 on 1st team
Velva- 4 total selections, 4 on 1st team
Langdon- 4 total selections, 3 on 1st team
Bismarck Shiloh- 4 total selections, 2 on 1st team
Minot Ryan- 3 total selections, 2 on 1st team
Kindred- 3 total selections, 2 on 1st team
Carrington- 3 total selections, 1 on 1st team
Killdeer- 3 total selections, 1 on 1st team
Bottineau- 1 total selections, 1 on 1st team
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:52 pm

We all know All-State is based on Individual Statistics; going to guess that Kindred was more team-oriented and that is what 'hindered' athletes from making All-State; but they earned that State Championship.

Velva & DT put up points like crazy this year so their stats were probably very impressive.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:58 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Also Riley Sunram does not win Player of the year? What planet does that happen on.

I saw a recruiting page that had Sunram as the best recruit in ND regardless of class. So yes, that seems nuts.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:05 pm

The Schwab wrote:All State Breakdown- including all schools with at least 1 1st team selection. If I made a mistake please let me know. This is the list I found on KX News

8 from Trinity - 6 first team, 2 second team.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:21 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
The Schwab wrote:All State Breakdown- including all schools with at least 1 1st team selection. If I made a mistake please let me know. This is the list I found on KX News

Well I must be looking at the wrong list or KX has it wrong. They have a QB, RB, OL, DB and DB as 1st team selections.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:23 pm

The Schwab wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

Well I must be looking at the wrong list or KX has it wrong. They have a QB, RB, OL, DB and DB as 1st team selections.

My apologies. The KX list was missing 1 name, of course it was a player from Trinity.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:24 pm

The Schwab wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

They missed a DL (Hugh Meyer). Going off what was posted on twitter via Jody Norstedt

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Nala1 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:26 pm

From the NDHSAA:

FIRST TEAM OFFENSE:

Ben Schepp, Jr.,QB, Velva/Drake-Anamoose/Garrison
Jace Kovash, Sr., QB, Dickinson Trinity
Rayce Worley, Sr., QB, Langdon Area/Edmore/Munich
Ty Dassinger, Sr., RB, Dickinson Trinity
Hank Bodine, Jr., RB, Velva/Drake-Anamoose/Garrison
Mason Romfo, Sr., RB, Langdon Area/Edmore/Munich
Reggie Bruner, Jr., WR, Velva/Drake-Anamoose/Garrison
Treyson Iglehart, Jr., WR, Velva/Drake-Anamoose/Garrison
Coy Okeson, Sr., OL, Bishop Ryan
Riley Sunram, Sr., OL, Kindred
Brock Jungels, Sr., OL, Carrington
Tanner Roers, Sr., OL, Dickinson Trinity

FIRST TEAM DEFENSE:

Tyler Cruchet, Sr., DL, Central Cass
Cole Welsh, Sr., DL , Langdon Area/Edmore/Munich
Cade Okeson, Soph., DL, Bishop Ryan
Hugh Meyer, Soph., DL, Dickinson Trinity
Jace Handy, Soph., DL, Killdeer
Jake Starcevic, Jr., LB, Kindred
Marcus Biffert, Sr., LB, Central Cass
Isaac Emmel, Sr., LB, Shiloh Christian
Peyton Lemar, Sr., DB, Central Cass
Michael Fagerland, Sr., DB, Shiloh Christian
Jake Shobe, Sr., DB, Dickinson Trinity
Luke Shobe, Sr., DB, Dickinson Trinity
Carson Haerer, Sr., DB, Bottineau

SECOND TEAM

Matthew Hoppe, Jr., Northern Cass
Brooks Bakko, Fr., Kindred
Trey Skoglund, Sr., Oakes
Joseph Kramlich, Jr., Ellendale-Edgeley-Kulm
Wyatt Olson, Sr., Lisbon
Isaac Wisnewski, Sr., Central Cass
Brayden Mitchell, Sr., Central Cass
Logen Weninger, Sr., Carrington
Keaton Keller, Sr., Harvey/Wells County
Cody Amble, Jr., Langdon Area/Edmore/Munich
Corbin Clifton, Jr., Carrington
Kayl Sieg, Jr., Harvey/Wells County
Tony Villareal, Sr., Grafton
Jett Lundeen, Jr., Bishop Ryan
Logan Rist, Jr., Des Lacs-Burlington
Ty Hughes, Sr., Des Lacs-Burlington
Keaton Cole, Sr., Nedrose
Cody Rice, Sr., Ray/Powers Lake
Kole Knecht, Sr., Des Lacs-Burlington
Gage Glaser, Sr., Dickinson Trinity
Jeremiah Jilek, Sr., Dickinson Trinity
Noah Jepson, Jr., Killdeer
Birch Bang, Sr., Killdeer
Samuel Benson, Sr., Shiloh Christian
Carter Seifert, Sr., Shiloh Christian
Simon Buchfinck, Sr., Beulah

2023 NDHSCA Division A Football Senior Athlete of the Year:
Ty Dassinger, Dickinson Trinity

2023 NDHSCA Division A Football Coach of the Year:
John Odermann, Dickinson Trinity
Nala1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Nala1 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:44 pm

WalkingStick wrote:We all know All-State is based on Individual Statistics; going to guess that Kindred was more team-oriented and that is what 'hindered' athletes from making All-State; but they earned that State Championship.

Velva & DT put up points like crazy this year so their stats were probably very impressive.

So, Langdon put up a ton of points as well? Actually scored more points in the regular season than DT did. They must have had some pretty good stats as well but only got 4 total kids. And the Bakko kid making second team, I believe he led the state in interceptions. Was it because he was a freshman? Or was this an east west thing and not all the coaches showed up to vote and the west out voted the east.
Nala1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:51 pm

Nala1 wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:We all know All-State is based on Individual Statistics; going to guess that Kindred was more team-oriented and that is what 'hindered' athletes from making All-State; but they earned that State Championship.

So, Langdon put up a ton of points as well? Actually scored more points in the regular season than DT did. They must have had some pretty good stats as well but only got 4 total kids. And the Bakko kid making second team, I believe he led the state in interceptions. Was it because he was a freshman? Or was this an east west thing and not all the coaches showed up to vote and the west out voted the east.

We will never know, sadly...nothing is ever made public on these votes.

But yes you are right Langdon score a lot too...but could it have been balanced stats; I'm sure Langdon's bench got lots of playing time (like Kindred did) too so that plays a role in individual stats. There are always issues with All-State teams and snubs. Maybe we should just scrap the teams for all sports and give zero recognition to anyone

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby psycho » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:26 pm

3, 4 or or even 5 kids from each of the best teams in the state seems appropriate. 8 from one team, even if it had been from Kindred who easily won the state championship seems excessive and just leads me to believe that coaches have a hard time voting for the best players instead of deserving players regardless of stats, what team they play for or what side of the state they come from. They are the adults in the room and need to remember that. Unfortunate that any kid picked for this team has to read about unfairness of voting instead of celebrating an award.
psycho
NDPreps Starter

Postby leroybla » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:05 pm

Ho-hum... What else is new. Central Cass boys basketball team went 26-0 last winning the state tournament, but didn't place anyone on the all state team.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:19 am

leroybla wrote:Ho-hum... What else is new. Central Cass boys basketball team went 26-0 last winning the state tournament, but didn't place anyone on the all state team.

That again was unbelievable.
People wonder why some of these good teams put the boots to teams and it is to get stats. The reason is BS voting like this.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Class B » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:33 am

I'm inclined to go with the coaches here. They are watching the tapes and preparing for opponents. To say the west doesn't know about the east, and east about the west... i doubt it. The players I'm closest to know dang well who performs out east and who to look for. Let's just assume the coaches and players know a little more than us rubes on a message board know. I'm sure Coach Oderman and Coach Weidler had a pretty good idea how their teams matched up vs. the east teams.

That said, there is a bit of "scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" amongst coaches in this process. The 2nd team is full of them.

The All-State team is the best players, not team. Kindred was the best team, hands down. The 4 Velva offensive players (all juniors)... they are all visiting D1 schools this weekend (one a P5 school, from what I saw on Twitter). It's really hard to argue against what Dassinger meant to Dickinson Trinity team, on both sides of the ball, especially in their playoff run.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby UncleRico » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:36 am

I don't think this should be about Kindred. When they lost their stud RB early in the season, they went to a more QB run-heavy approach, with a handful of others sharing in the ball carrying duties. So in reality there was likely not a ton of "stats" to go around, and despite what your daddy has to say, they are not a program that takes joy in running up the score on people. One thing I would say about Kindred is it seems like they might have a case for having more than 1 lineman on the all state teams, given their ability to just overwhelm people up front, but I'm sure line voting is not as easy either.

Instead, I'm curious to know if the process is working the way it should. As referenced by someone last night, if you think Kindred had too few selections this year in football, I feel like that's not nearly as aggregious as Central Cass going undefeated and not having a single all state player in basketball last year.

Just my .02, maybe we need to revisit how these selections are made.
UncleRico
NDPreps Reserve

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:18 am

UncleRico wrote:I don't think this should be about Kindred. When they lost their stud RB early in the season, they went to a more QB run-heavy approach, with a handful of others sharing in the ball carrying duties. So in reality there was likely not a ton of "stats" to go around, and despite what your daddy has to say, they are not a program that takes joy in running up the score on people. One thing I would say about Kindred is it seems like they might have a case for having more than 1 lineman on the all state teams, given their ability to just overwhelm people up front, but I'm sure line voting is not as easy either.

Instead, I'm curious to know if the process is working the way it should. As referenced by someone last night, if you think Kindred had too few selections this year in football, I feel like that's not nearly as aggregious as Central Cass going undefeated and not having a single all state player in basketball last year.

Just my .02, maybe we need to revisit how these selections are made.

I am completely on board with the Central Cass thing from last year. ROBBED.

I am not cutting down players because all on the all State team are great players but yes Kindred getting one lineman on the all state team is crazy. They rushed for 300 yards a game without a real talented running back. Many games they had 8 to 9 guys in the box and they still ran the ball and ran it well.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:10 am

Lose-lose scenario for Kindred. If they run up the score to chase stats, they'll be penalized for that. It happened a few years ago in "B" girls basketball for those that remember. They probably didn't have stats that popped off the page as much, which unfortunately is how a lot of this voting goes.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:27 am

I am just really upset this morning. After watching highlights of Volleyball... I found out that apparently Northern Cass gets all the Fargo Rejects and I have always been told it is Kindred that gets all the Fargo players... Now Northern Cass is getting them. Very upsetting... LLM Fan base is really classy... get your butts kicked and that is what you chant.... Fargo Rejects.... Maybe get your girls in the gym and teach them how to hit the ball back over the net.....
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to A