State Semi Finals

The teams in Class A

State Semi Finals

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:45 pm

So two games to go so who do you have.
Aggies Vs DT.
I have this one as a no contest. Velva will roll. DT had a chance to get beat by Killdeer but pull it out in a big way in the 4th. I think Velva is better all around and will win this one by 28.

LLM and Kindred

This one is a toss up. Weather will be a factor. It will be about who can hold onto the ball and special teams.
This a state championship game IMO. Kindred has been tested in Region 1 so they will be able to handle a close game. LLM has not had a close game except for most of the last one. The ball bounced their way against CC and I think that will decide this game as well. Kindred has a better Offensive and Defensive Line but are without their really good running back. Granted they are still averaging 300 yards a game on the ground with a stable of different running backs. LLM has the better QB that can sling it around the field and has great receivers but if it is raining or the field is a complete mess... it might slow that down.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Re: State Semi Finals

Postby Your daddy » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:32 pm

Velva by 3 scores. Langdon is the best coached team left. I'll take them by 2 scores. Kindred is probably the most talented team left, but they're also the most undisciplined team. Every game I've watched they've had multiple unsportsmanlike penalties. It's like beating a team by 30 isn't good enough they also need to rub their nose in it.
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:31 pm

maddog1971 wrote:So two games to go so who do you have.
Aggies Vs DT.
I have this one as a no contest. Velva will roll. DT had a chance to get beat by Killdeer but pull it out in a big way in the 4th. I think Velva is better all around and will win this one by 28.

LLM and Kindred

This one is a toss up. Weather will be a factor. It will be about who can hold onto the ball and special teams.
This a state championship game IMO. Kindred has been tested in Region 1 so they will be able to handle a close game. LLM has not had a close game except for most of the last one. The ball bounced their way against CC and I think that will decide this game as well. Kindred has a better Offensive and Defensive Line but are without their really good running back. Granted they are still averaging 300 yards a game on the ground with a stable of different running backs. LLM has the better QB that can sling it around the field and has great receivers but if it is raining or the field is a complete mess... it might slow that down.

LLM made it out of 9-man to play 11-man this weekend? :lol:

Velva & Langdon are my picks to win.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby UncleRico » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:46 pm

Your daddy wrote:Velva by 3 scores. Langdon is the best coached team left. I'll take them by 2 scores. Kindred is probably the most talented team left, but they're also the most undisciplined team. Every game I've watched they've had multiple unsportsmanlike penalties. It's like beating a team by 30 isn't good enough they also need to rub their nose in it.

Not really my fight, but this is hilarious. After hearing first hand accounts of the conduct up and down the Oakes sideline Saturday, I'd think you might want to sit this one out. Not the first time I've heard it either.
UncleRico
NDPreps Reserve

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:23 am

Your daddy wrote:Velva by 3 scores. Langdon is the best coached team left. I'll take them by 2 scores. Kindred is probably the most talented team left, but they're also the most undisciplined team. Every game I've watched they've had multiple unsportsmanlike penalties. It's like beating a team by 30 isn't good enough they also need to rub their nose in it.

yep.... Kindred will rub your nose in it. First time they played... Kindred was on the 2 yard line and ran the clock out for four plays and did not try to score. This time their freshman running back led the team in carries and one pass in the second half. JV played the 4th quarter. Yep. Apparently offensive linemen pointed first down is offensive by Oakes coaching staff while he is yelling at Ref's and Kindred players.

Oakes is a very good team and they play really hard and they are probably a top 6 team in this state.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby RiverMiner99 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:26 am

2020 Oakes:
W vs. Northwood 61-3
W vs. Thompson 21-14
W vs. Sargent County 49-14
L vs. Lisbon 7-28
W vs. Fargo 64-21
W vs. Northern Cass 47-0
W vs. EEK 46-0
W vs. Carrington 36-0
L vs Langdon COVID

:roll:
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby Your daddy » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:47 am

In case you didn't watch either oakes kindred games I'm talking about the multiple unsportsmanlike penalties. And yes I agree our coach is terrible. Only coach I've heard of who pops their Achilles jumping up and down yelling at the refs.
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Postby RiverMiner99 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:57 am

Should be 2 great games on Saturday. Looking at common opponents there is nothing that says there is a clear favorite in either game. I feel like Dickinson is not getting enough credit, but we will see. You knew the skill players for Velva would be great. So far the new lineman have stepped up and done a great job, can they now do it against a semifinalist? Can Kindred knock Langdon out of the playoffs for the 3rd consecutive year?

My guess is:
Velva 33 - Dickinson 30
Kindred 22 - Langdon 20

I would not be surprised if they both go the other way.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:53 pm

Your daddy wrote:In case you didn't watch either oakes kindred games I'm talking about the multiple unsportsmanlike penalties. And yes I agree our coach is terrible. Only coach I've heard of who pops their Achilles jumping up and down yelling at the refs.

completely agree... both teams had two called on them over the two games and there should have been more. I think things like jumping on a kid and doing the body surf should be a penalty... I think taking a swing at another player should be called a penalty....
I don't think kids showing emotion should be called a penalty. Football is a game of emotions and violence. Things will happen in the heat of the moment. Both teams have emotional coaches on the sidelines.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:22 pm

Game moved to Fargo North, does that favor either team?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:00 am

Flip wrote:Game moved to Fargo North, does that favor either team?

Big advantage for Langdon. They are passing and stretch the field type of team that puts up points. Kindred is a run between the tackles for 5 yards a carry. So good footing will benefit Langdon. I was thinking the score of the game would have been in the teens now... it will be in the 20's and Kindred will have to throw the ball to keep up.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:57 am

Why did the game get moved to Fargo North?
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Dakotastater » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:07 pm

BasketballMind wrote:Why did the game get moved to Fargo North?

Kindred's field is in tough shape after all of the Varsity, JV, JH, and little guy games, and it stayed warmer in the SE corner of the state so the field got really soft. For semi-finals, playing on a good surface is important, and North's field was available. I believe Kindred requested the move and Langdon agreed.
Dakotastater
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:53 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
Flip wrote:Game moved to Fargo North, does that favor either team?

Big advantage for Langdon. They are passing and stretch the field type of team that puts up points. Kindred is a run between the tackles for 5 yards a carry. So good footing will benefit Langdon. I was thinking the score of the game would have been in the teens now... it will be in the 20's and Kindred will have to throw the ball to keep up.

A couple things... 1st Langdon can pass the ball very well. I think their qb is fantastic, but they are a very good running team. They put up 26 points on Central Cass (Who I think is a top 3 team) while completing only 2 passes. 2nd Poor footing is a huge advantage for a receiver over a D back. A receiver knows where they are going, while the d back needs to react (without thinking) which is a receipt for falling down. Playing downhill is easier in poor conditions for offensive lines, just as it is for defensive players.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby ChickenNuggets » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:28 pm

#4 Trinity @ #1 Velva

I have honestly been not so high on Velva this year, but their last two playoff wins have made me think maybe they're better than I thought. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're bad by any stretch of the imagination, I just questioned if they are truly the #1 team. That said, I think maybe they're the #3 team and both teams that I would put ahead of them are playing in the other semi-final, so I still think they're the best team in this game. Trinity is explosive. They can score points. I'm not so sure they're going to be able to play good enough defense to stop Velva though. Velva on the other hand will play good enough defense to get some stops along the way and win this game by a couple scores.

#3 Langdon @ #2 Kindred (At Fargo North)

I've been high on Langdon for a while now. I think they have the most complete team. They can run, they can pass, they can play defense. and they can do all of those things at a high level. I think Kindred has the best O-Line in the state, but I think that Langdon is right up there with them and isn't going to be completely outmatched. I think both teams have tremendous QB's, but I think Langdon does a better job throwing the ball. This is the game that I am most excited to watch and I wouldn't be shocked at either team winning. I would be completely shocked if it wasn't a slug fest and a very competitive close game! I can't help but lean slightly toward Langdon in this one. Give me the Cardinals by 6 points.
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WalkingStick » Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:50 pm

Halftime
Dickinson Trinity leads Velva/Garrison/Drake-Anamoose 24-14
Kindred leads Langdon/Edmore/Munich 34-20

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:36 pm

Aggies Vs DT.

More proof that you don't have a clue as you continue to low-ball DT...I sure hope they prove next week how good they are

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sorenson23 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:09 am

Dickinson Trinity vs Kindred, I do not think either team, will blow the other away. This game should be in the 20's. Trinity 28 Kindred 22.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Class B » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:29 pm

Like most everyone else, I was completely blindsided by the outcome of the Velva/Trinity game....even though Trinity is a little more senior dominated vs. Velva's more youthful roster. Velva's junior class has a legitimate 4-5 Division 1 prospects including the State's reigning Midco POY (Schepp)... I just didn't see anyone derailing that train.

But Trinity exposed what we thought would be Velva's achilles heel in the playoffs, the line of scrimmage. That said, Velva's line play was outstanding vs. Bowman and Shiloh, but they were completely dominated on both sides of the ball on Saturday. After Trinity's first drive, their worst field position for the remainder of the first half was Velva's 38 yard line. It was such uncharacteristic football from the Velva squad, but I'm sure they'd be the first to admit that they were simply beat by the better team on Saturday. Trinity won all three phases of the game.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:25 am

WalkingStick wrote:
Aggies Vs DT.

More proof that you don't have a clue as you continue to low-ball DT...I sure hope they prove next week how good they are

I will admit I was wrong. Congrats to DT. I have watched them a number of games and I just did not see them beating Velva. Saying a low balled them when I have them in my top 5 all year... is a little bit of a stretch. Very good game... Velva could not get going and their weak spot was their line and I was really surprised how DT own that front.
Maybe next weeks game will be really fun to watch in the trenches. Kindreds offensive and Defensive lines have been really good this year. So it will be fun to watch.
And LLM is a great team and the might have been the best team in the state but they could not stop the run in the first half. The linebackers were selling out and Kindred made them pay.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:30 am

maddog1971 wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:
Aggies Vs DT.

I will admit I was wrong. Congrats to DT. I have watched them a number of games and I just did not see them beating Velva. Saying a low balled them when I have them in my top 5 all year... is a little bit of a stretch. Very good game... Velva could not get going and their weak spot was their line and I was really surprised how DT own that front.
Maybe next weeks game will be really fun to watch in the trenches. Kindreds offensive and Defensive lines have been really good this year. So it will be fun to watch.
And LLM is a great team and the might have been the best team in the state but they could not stop the run in the first half. The linebackers were selling out and Kindred made them pay.

LLM is a 9 Man team.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:11 am

packers21 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:
Aggies Vs DT.

LLM is a 9 Man team.

If they were I will tell you right now who the state Champions would be.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Attack the Process » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:20 am

maddog1971 wrote:
packers21 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:
Aggies Vs DT.

LLM is a 9 Man team.

If they were I will tell you right now who the state Champions would be.

LLM Is 9 Man.
LAEM is 11 Man.

Easy mix up.
Attack the Process
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:27 am

Sorry... My fault
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby psycho » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:48 pm

Not hard to tell who best team in this division is. Other than great game last week vs talented Langdon, Kindred dominates opponents in post season.
psycho
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to A