Round 1- What to Watch

The teams in Class A

Round 1- What to Watch

Postby ChickenNuggets » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:17 am

The Seeds are set and much like 9-man, I don't feel there is a whole lot of surprise to how this bracket shook out as far as the top 4 overall seeds go. I think there could be some great matchups but I think there will be a few lopsided scores as well, maybe more so than the 9-man bracket in Round 1.

First Round
Saturday October 21st
G1 - (5-4) R2#4 Harvey-Wells County @ R1#1 Kindred (8-0)
Harvey is entering the playoffs on a 3-game losing skid after losing their final two regional matchups to Carrington and Cavalier and then dropping a 49-8 season finale against Central Cass this past week. Kindred comes in as the #2 overall seed with an unblemished record. I could see this being one of those games that gets out of hand and ends with a running clock. Give me the Vikings to win in a big way in this one.

G2 - (6-2) R1#3 Oakes @ R2#2 Carrington (6-3)
Carrington has had a solid season earning the #2 position in their region and the right to host the first round playoff game. Oakes has also played well and competed very nicely in what appears to be the toughest region in the state. This could be a fun first round match-up. I'm going to call the "upset" if you will as I will predict the road team gets a win in this one. Oakes wins by 2 scores.

G3 - (5-3) R1#4 Lisbon @ R2#1 Langdon-Edmore-Munich (8-0)
As mentioned, Region 1 appears to be the toughest region in the state, so with that said, I look for Lisbon to be one of the best teams that Langdon has seen all year. Lisbon did defeat Carrington a few weeks ago and Carrington was the runner-up in Region 2. That said, the game between Lisbon and Carrington was very close 32-27 final and then Langdon took it to Carrington in the Region Championship game this past week 50-8. Langdon really impressed me and I feel they might be the best team in the state, but they are going to have a very tough playoff road to prove that. I think they take care of business in Round 1 and win big. Langdon by 30.

G4 - (6-3) R2#3 Cavalier @ R1#2 Central Cass (7-1)
David vs. Goliath! Cavalier moved up to 11-man this year and answered the call nicely putting together a 6-3 record and riding a 4-game winning streak into the playoffs despite having the smallest enrollment of any 11-man team in the entire state. Round 1 puts them in Central Cass to take on the Squirrels who have the largest enrollment in the division. They also have a 7-1 record on the year losing their opening game to Kindred and then rattling off 7 straight wins. Not only have they been winning, but they have looked like they are getting better week in and week out and have been blowing the doors off of their opponents. They've won every game since week 3 by four scores or more and have only allowed three touchdowns all season after their week 1 loss to Kindred. I'll take the Squirrels in this one and I don't expect it to be particularly close.

G5 - (6-3) R4#4 Bowman County @ R3#1 Velva-Drake-Anamoose-Garrison (9-0)
Velva is riding a winning streak going all the way back to last year, which is likely a big reason why they are the #1 overall seed in this year's playoff field. There have been some questions about whether or not they have truly been tested this year, but all I will say about that is that they have beaten every team that's been put in front of them.. by a lot! They're averaging 49 points a game while surrendering just 10. I haven't seen a ton of Bowman this year, but they are a solid football team and has played well to get to this point. I just don't think they have the defense to slow down Velva's playmakers or the offense to keep up with them. I"ll take Velva to win this one comfortably.

G6 - *(4-4) R3#3 Bishop Ryan @ R4#2 Shiloh Christian (8-1)
Bishop Ryan is certainly well-tested. They have four losses on the season, but 3 of them have come at the hands of the #1 Velva, #3 Langdon, and #4 Dickinson Trinity. Shiloh Christian comes into the playoffs with just one blemish on their record, courtesy of Dickinson Trinity, but that was a much closer ball game against the Titans than the Bishop Ryan game was. Shiloh's offense has been explosive all season and I think they're going to be able to find the end zone just a few more times in this game. I'll take the Skyhawks in a close one.

G7 - (4-5) R3#4 Stanley @ R4#1 Dickinson Trinity (9-0)
Stanley finds themselves in the playoffs for the first time since 2017 despite a losing record. They will face off against #4 overall seed Dickinson Trinity who is a perfect 9-0 on the season. Trinity has not been held below 30 points yet this season and has only been held below 42 points twice. I see more of the same this weekend. That 2017 playoff appearance that Stanley had was a 1st round loss to Trinity 47-6. I could see this game going very similarly.

G8 - (7-2) R4#3 Killdeer @ R3#2 Des Lacs-Burlington (7-2)
Killdeer @ Des Lacs/Burlington could be one of the best games of the first round. This is the one game that I am most unsure on when it comes to picking a winner. Both teams had very similar showings against Trinity when they played them this year. Both have identical 7-2 records. I do feel that Killdeer played in a better overall region and for that reason they may be slightly more battle tested. I'm going to predict the Cowboys go on the road and get it done in a one-score game!

If my first round predictions hold true, It could lead to a Quarterfinal round that looks something like this:
Oakes @ #2 Kindred
Central Cass @ #3 Langdon
Shiloh Christian @ #1 Velva
Killdeer @ #4 Dickinson Trinity
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Round 1- What to Watch

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:48 am

G1- I don't see Kindred blowing anyone out. They run the ball and control the clock. They only care if they win by 1. I see this one a 28 to 7 game.
G2- I agree Region 1 is the toughest in the state. I believe even EEK could have won a first round playoff game. Oakes is tested and if they can complete some passes and score 3 touchdowns I think they come out on top. 18-6
G3- Not even Close but it might be the toughest team they played this year.
G4- Cavalier is a tough program and might surprise CC. Cavalier has some kids up front that can compete with CC but I think the Squirrels have found something the second half of the year and will be hard to beat. CC By 21
G5 Velva until they play a tough team in the State title.
G6 Shiloh has a high powered offense and I think they will roll in this one. 48-24
G7 DT will win this one 52 to 0
G8 This might be the most fun to watch out of all the first round games. I am going with Killdeer since I attend 1st grade in Killdeer.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Buck » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:31 pm

Kindred 49
HWC 6
Final
Buck
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:36 pm

Killdeer def. DL-B 21-20