1. Kindred
2. Hcv
3. CC
4. NC
5. Mpcg
6. Lisbon
7. Oakes
8. Ellendale
Kindred is far and away the class of the region. Northern Cass is going to surprise a lot of people this year.
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Re: North Dakota High School Football Predictions

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:38 pm

Region 1 prediction
1. Kindred
2. MPCG
3. CC
4. Lisbon
5. HCV
6. NC
7. Oakes
8. Ellendale

I honestly do not really know.
Kindred will be good. They lost quite a bit but they have a very good Junior class that can fill some roles. They really needed a QB and they have the kid from Thompson that moved into town so that filled the one big week area. Running backs will be led by Swenson who could be one of the best running backs in the state and they have refilled the line led by Sunram.
MPCG is a wild card for me. Coming from 9 man to playing 11 man... you never know.
CC lost quite a bit and I know they have some key seniors back but I just don't know if they will compete in the trenches.
HCV.... Lost quite a bit including the coaching staff and maybe some of the culture that has been part of the winning program. They have plenty of kids but I don't know about the size and line play.
Lisbon... They are always tough because they throw a bunch of wrestlers on the field and they are tough kids they will stand with anyone. I don't know if the talent pool is deep enough.
NC... I just don't see it. They have had problems getting kids to come out for the program. Maybe that changed and they will surprise me.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:40 am

maddog1971 wrote:Region 1 prediction
1. Kindred
2. MPCG
3. CC
4. Lisbon
5. HCV
6. NC
7. Oakes
8. Ellendale

I honestly do not really know.
Kindred will be good. They lost quite a bit but they have a very good Junior class that can fill some roles. They really needed a QB and they have the kid from Thompson that moved into town so that filled the one big week area. Running backs will be led by Swenson who could be one of the best running backs in the state and they have refilled the line led by Sunram.
MPCG is a wild card for me. Coming from 9 man to playing 11 man... you never know.
CC lost quite a bit and I know they have some key seniors back but I just don't know if they will compete in the trenches.
HCV.... Lost quite a bit including the coaching staff and maybe some of the culture that has been part of the winning program. They have plenty of kids but I don't know about the size and line play.
Lisbon... They are always tough because they throw a bunch of wrestlers on the field and they are tough kids they will stand with anyone. I don't know if the talent pool is deep enough.
NC... I just don't see it. They have had problems getting kids to come out for the program. Maybe that changed and they will surprise me.

I'll fall off my chair if MPCG finishes 2nd....

Two team race here in my opinion....

1) Kindred
2) CC
3) HCV
4) Lisbon
5) Oakes
6) NC
7) MPCG
8) Ellendale
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:22 pm

I’ll take a stab at R1 then
Kindred
CC
HCV
Lisbon
MPCG
NC
Oakes
E-E-K

MPCG would have benefited more if they were in R2 for FB instead of R1
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:45 pm

I'll fall off my chair if MPCG finishes 2nd....

1) Kindred
2) CC
3) HCV
4) Lisbon
5) Oakes
6) NC
7) MPCG
8) Ellendale[/quote]

I spoke with a Parent at Baseball this summer and they said they should be really good with talent but the size would be there only problem. I honestly do not know.

Also normally lots of Oak Grove fans on here. What is the deal with no program? I heard from a few friends in small towns that told me that OG is trying to set up independent games with them. Just curious if they can not get kids to come out? Do they just not have the culture to get kids to play football?
And do they just not want to play because they get beat all the time?? I know in todays culture it is ok to do that but I just don't like it. Stanley did that for a year or two.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:10 pm

maddog1971 wrote:I'll fall off my chair if MPCG finishes 2nd....

1) Kindred
2) CC
3) HCV
4) Lisbon
5) Oakes
6) NC
7) MPCG
8) Ellendale

I spoke with a Parent at Baseball this summer and they said they should be really good with talent but the size would be there only problem. I honestly do not know.

Also normally lots of Oak Grove fans on here. What is the deal with no program? I heard from a few friends in small towns that told me that OG is trying to set up independent games with them. Just curious if they can not get kids to come out? Do they just not have the culture to get kids to play football?
And do they just not want to play because they get beat all the time?? I know in todays culture it is ok to do that but I just don't like it. Stanley did that for a year or two.

They are playing JV games with most of the region and then playing EEK & NC varsity...and hosting Sargent County to start the year (not sure if they will do a mixed 9/11-man game or just 11-man).

Very young kids...safety was a reasoning but who really knows the real reason.
Last edited by WalkingStick on Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ChickenNuggets » Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:08 pm

1- Kindred
2- Central Cass
3- Oakes
4- Lisbon
5- Northern Cass
6- MPCG
7- HCV
8- Ellendale
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:59 am

ChickenNuggets wrote:1- Kindred
2- Central Cass
3- Oakes
4- Lisbon
5- Northern Cass
6- MPCG
7- HCV
8- Ellendale

I would wager my entire life savings to bet that HCV doesn't finish 7th.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:31 am

The new HCV HC, has he been in the program before?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:11 pm

Flip wrote:The new HCV HC, has he been in the program before?

Not sure on the resume at all just what I was told at another baseball game this summer at HCV. They said he was a first time head coach and that the whole coaching staff was new. I have not clue if that is true or not but would love to hear from someone in the program to clear things up.
I know that had an OK JV program last year but not great and I don't think they brought a lot back from last year. I don't see them finishing at the bottom but I don't think it will be a team like we are used to seeing out of HCV.

I get the safety concern of a program only have young kids playing but why play at all then? Sargent County is going to play their varsity and they will good this year... so why play them? NC is going to play their varsity... and they will have plenty of big kids playing?
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:44 pm

maddog1971 wrote:

Not sure on the resume at all just what I was told at another baseball game this summer at HCV. They said he was a first time head coach and that the whole coaching staff was new. I have not clue if that is true or not but would love to hear from someone in the program to clear things up.
I know that had an OK JV program last year but not great and I don't think they brought a lot back from last year. I don't see them finishing at the bottom but I don't think it will be a team like we are used to seeing out of HCV.

I get the safety concern of a program only have young kids playing but why play at all then? Sargent County is going to play their varsity and they will good this year... so why play them? NC is going to play their varsity... and they will have plenty of big kids playing?

No clue their reasoning on playing a few varsity programs…NC is their homecoming week…want to really know why? Call the school and ask their AD why…he made the decision and they ended up having to find a new coach too.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:56 pm

WalkingStick wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

No clue their reasoning on playing a few varsity programs…NC is their homecoming week…want to really know why? Call the school and ask their AD why…he made the decision and they ended up having to find a new coach too.

I know that there is Zero chance NC and Sargent are going to not play their Seniors and not going to play the game to win.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:16 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

I know that there is Zero chance NC and Sargent are going to not play their Seniors and not going to play the game to win.

They have Oakes listed as a JV game...I would bet that Oakes will play their normal players.
OG chose to be independent...which basically means they aren't in a region and can't play the postseason. I really don't know why this was what was chosen...they've had worse numbers and played a season before; they don't really have a football field anymore...I wouldn't be shocked if they drop football at some point in the near future (which would be sad).

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:09 pm

Anyone got predictions for any of the other regions (2, 3 or 4)

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ChickenNuggets » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:08 pm

I think Region 2 could be a very competitive region. Very hard to predict as there are likely a number of evenly matched teams all the way up and down the region.

1- Langdon
2- Harvey/Wells County
3- Cavalier
4- Bottineau
5- Carrington
6- Thompson
7- Park River
8- Rugby
9- Grafton

Region 3-
1- Velva
2- Bishop Ryan
3- Des Lacs/Burlington
4- Stanley
5- Nedrose
6- South Prairie
7- Kenmare
8- Stanley

Region 4- No idea.
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:29 am

Region 2
1- Langdon/Edmore/Munich
2- Cavalier
3- Harvey/Wells County
4- Bottineau
5- Rugby
6- Grafton
7- Carrington
8- Thompson
9- Park River Area

Region 3
1- Velva/Garrison/Drake-Anamoose
2- Bishop Ryan
3- Des Lacs-Burlington
4- Nedrose
5- Ray/Powers Lake
6- Kenmare/Bowbells/Burke Central
7- South Prairie-Max
8- Stanley

Region 4
1- Dickinson Trinity
2- Beulah
3- Bowman County
4- Shiloh
5- Hazen
6- Killdeer
7- Southern McLean
8- Heart River
Last edited by WalkingStick on Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby leroybla » Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:07 pm

Are schedules available online?
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WalkingStick » Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:48 am

leroybla wrote:Are schedules available online?

https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/football

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 5-time state chump » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:18 am

Okay....I'm confused. There is no 11-B anymore right? These teams are Class A? Or....????
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:20 am

They are back to calling the divisions AAA, AA, A and 9-man…was determined at end of year board meeting

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:05 am

Region 2
1. Langdon
2. Harvey
3. Grafton
4. Bottineau
5. Thompson
6. Cavalier
7. Rugby
8. Park River
9. Carrington

Before watching last night's game I would have had the top 5: Langdon, Harvey, Thompson, Bottineau, Cavalier. I would have ranked Grafton last in the region. Having seen it now, I don't know how you don't move Grafton into the top 3 or 4 and Thompson into the bottom 4...I ranked them higher than that because of tradition...But wow...not the same Thompson look we are used to - they were out athleted on the edge and dominated up front (especially vs. pass rush). Lots of self inflicted wounds which isn't typical for Thompson. Grafton is electric at the skills positions and if they stay injury free and continue to develop chemistry between QB and WR will be a team you don't want to play on good weather nights. Villarreal might be the most fun player to watch in the region - and the fastest.

I think this is a wide open region with quite a bit of balance. I could see 3 to 9 finishing in just about any order. I could also so a team or even two hopping both Harvey and Langdon. Who knows what Bottineau has left and who steps up? Can Cavalier handle the transition well? Does a team like Rugby, Park River, or Carrington take another step and get more competitive? This region won't have a dominate team like years past but will be solid all the way down. Should be a lot of close region games throughout the season. Here are my hot takes for the season. No one in the region goes undefeated in region play, the final play off spot is won by a team with a 3-6 record because of ties, Thompson has the biggest fall from last season, Grafton has the biggest turn around from last season, Villarreal has the most eye catching offensive stats in the region, the QB from Harvey has a breakout season that turns a lot of heads, and the RB from Park River will be the best player in the region no one hears of because of team record.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sorenson23 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:56 am

R1 - Kindred, Central Cass, Lisbon, Hillsboro-Central Valley
R2 - Harvey-Wells County, Langdon-Edmore-Munich, Cavalier, Grafton
R3 - Velva-Drake-Anamoose-Garrison, Bishop Ryan, Des Lacs-Burlington, Nedrose
R4 - Beulah, Dickinson Trinity, Shiloh Christian, Bowman County
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 2livecrew » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:45 pm

maddog1971 wrote:

The new HC is a pastor in town. Well-liked, very good at connecting with the kids. Hasn't been in the program before but he knows the game. Played college ball at Bethel.
2livecrew
NDPreps Rookie

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:19 pm

Thanks for the info. Sounds like they played well the opening week. Hope the program will keep right on rolling but they will have their hands full in R1
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Return to A