Class A Football - 2019

The teams in Class A

Class A Football - 2019

Postby the old guy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:56 am

Any opinions on who are the favorites in Class A Football this season? Teams to watch?
the old guy
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Class A Football - 2019

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:07 am

I know I have shared before but here is my season preview with teams to watch:

Region 1 - I think Oakes is the cream of the crop in the region and one of my favorites in the state. They return almost everyone from a really tough team last year and if they can figure out the transition up a level by the end of the year they will be a really tough out in the playoffs. Thompson is another team to watch with their great coaching, big game experience, and the fact they are always competitive.

Region 2 - Langdon is far and away the favorite in this region. I believe they go undefeated in region play and are the favorite to win state again. They are well coached, athletic, and have the experience to succeed. If they can avoid injury they will be a really good team. Grafton and Harvey are two teams to me that have some intrigue in the region but I don't think they will push to compete for a championship.

Region 3 - Velva is my favorite out west and in Region 3. If I had to pick a team to play Langdon in the championship I would have to lean towards Velva. They have the talent to be a team no one wants to play all season but especially in the playoffs. Bishop Ryan would be my other team to watch.

Region 4 - Dickinson Trinity would be my pick out of this region with teams like Shiloh and Killdeer who have had success of late being interesting. I think this might be the most open region of the 4 but would pick Trinity.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sorenson23 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:53 pm

Region 3 - Between Velva & Bishop Ryan

Region 4 - Dickinson Trinity, Killdeer, are the two favorites in this region. I wouldn't necessarily throw Shiloh in the mix just yet. I think that Bowman County, and New Salem could be a threat for the two other spots. The Skyhawks have prove that they belong in this conversation. This is not 9 Man anymore for the next two years. My Alma mater Central McLean learned that the hard way in 2013 and 2014. Being in 9 Man for a long time, and come up to join Class A Region 4. We had a combined 3-13 record during these two years. It doesn't matter if u have the experience or not it's how well u adjust to the new system.

Shiloh's first two games are at home against Harvey-Wells County, and at Oak Grove.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:35 pm

Sorenson23 wrote:Region 3 - Between Velva & Bishop Ryan

Region 4 - Dickinson Trinity, Killdeer, are the two favorites in this region. I wouldn't necessarily throw Shiloh in the mix just yet. I think that Bowman County, and New Salem could be a threat for the two other spots. The Skyhawks have prove that they belong in this conversation. This is not 9 Man anymore for the next two years. My Alma mater Central McLean learned that the hard way in 2013 and 2014. Being in 9 Man for a long time, and come up to join Class A Region 4. We had a combined 3-13 record during these two years. It doesn't matter if u have the experience or not it's how well u adjust to the new system.

Shiloh's first two games are at home against Harvey-Wells County, and at Oak Grove.

FWIW South Border went 2-38 from 2000-2004 of 9 man. Move up to Class A in 2005, they finished 5-3.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sorenson23 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:11 am

Not really trying to get into a disagreement with anyone. But playing 11 Man is not for everyone. Some teams can make the transition well others can't.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:44 pm

Sorenson23 wrote:Not really trying to get into a disagreement with anyone. But playing 11 Man is not for everyone. Some teams can make the transition well others can't.

you can't win by just getting someone fast on the outside and run on the big field; I've seen teams shifting to 11 man better than shifting back to 9-man
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:03 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Sorenson23 wrote:Not really trying to get into a disagreement with anyone. But playing 11 Man is not for everyone. Some teams can make the transition well others can't.

you can't win by just getting someone fast on the outside and run on the big field; I've seen teams shifting to 11 man better than shifting back to 9-man

Great point Run. South Border did not have speed at the 9 man level and having extra players on the field actually made them a better team.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sorenson23 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:14 am

You may be right but all I'm saying is their is some teams that move up to 11 Man. That can play better with two extra guys on the field. While their are those other teams who can't. There are four teams I will keep an eye on, and see if they transition well in their new system.

1. Shiloh Christian - 9 Man Region 5 (2018) - Class A Region 4 (2019).

2. Richardton-T-H - 9 Man Region 5 (2018) - Class A Region 4 (2019).

3. New Salem-GU - 9 Man Region 5 (2018) - Class A Region 4 (2019).

2.Lewis & Clark-Berthold - Class A Region 3 (2018) - 9 Man Region 3.

We'll see this fall & next year who can adjust. Usually their are teams that lose a lot of experience. And get moved up or get moved down. When their realign the regions every two years. And can't do anything.

And if anyone's curious when the 2019 North Dakota Pigskin Preview will be available. I checked their website, the week of August 12th.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Region2FootballFan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:16 pm

Region 1: Region 2: Region 3: Region 4:
Oakes Langdon Velva Shiloh
Thompson Carrington DLB Dickinson Trinity
Lisbon Grafton Minot Ryan New salem
Northwood Rugby Nedrose Killdeer
Milnor Harvey Kenmare Bowman County
Oak Grove Park river Tioga Washburn
EEK Westhope South Prairie R/T
NC Bottineau Garrison Belfield
Region2FootballFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:22 pm

Region 1: Oakes, Thompson, Hatton-Northwood, Milnor-North Sargent, Lisbon, Ellendale/Edgeley-Kulm, Oak Grove, Northern Cass

Region 2: Langdon/Edmore/Munich, Grafton, Rugby, Carrington, Park River-FL, Harvey-Wells County, Bottineau, Westhope-Newburg-Glenburn

Region 3: Velva, Bishop Ryan/ORCS, Nedrose, Des Lacs-Burlington, Kenmare/Bowbells/BC, Tioga, South Prairie, Garrison-Max

Region 4: Dickinson Trinity, Shiloh Christian, Killdeer, New Salem-Glen Ullin, Bowman County, Southern McLean, Heart River, Richardton-Taylor-Hebron
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sorenson23 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:36 pm

Region 4 Predictions

1. Trinity
2. Killdeer
3. Bowman County
4. New Salem-GU
5. Shiloh Christian
6. Southern McLean
7. Heart River
8. Richardton-T-H
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby james » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:51 am

Bowman County, Shiloh, and Trinity the top of the pack in Region 4. The rest will battle for the number four spot.
james
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Attack the Process » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:02 am

Region 1: Oakes, Thompson, M/NS, Lisbon, Hatton/Northwood, EEK, Oak Grove, NC
Oakes had a solid year last year in 9-man. Look forward to seeing them play 11-man again! Everyone knows what Thompson lost. They are coached very well and should still look to compete again.

Region 2: Langdon/E/M, Grafton, Rugby, Carrington, WNG, PRFL, HWC, Bottineau
Langdon is the odds-on favorite in this region, and the state. Curious to see Grafton on the move down! Carrington lost a bunch, PRFL lost their studs, HWC lost a big senior class. Rugby could shock a lot of people this year, in my opinion.

Region 3: Velva, DLB, Nedrose, Ryan, Kenmare/B/BC, Tioga, South Prairie, Garrison/Max
Velva gets the region title back this year. Their QB & RB are going to be a dynamic duo. Just have some questions with filling the vacant line spots. Nedrose could shock some teams and end up in the two spot. DLB's QB has a big time arm, and will keep them in a lot of games. 4-8 spots seem to be a toss-up.

Region 4: DT, Killdeer, Shiloh, NS/GU, Bowman County, Heart River, Southern McLean, Richardton/T/H
Trinity is always competitive. They lost one of the most skilled RB/WR in the state, so it will be interesting to see who steps up and fills that spot. Killdeer is another well coached program and should look to compete in this region again. Bowman lost a huge group of seniors, I think they will struggle early, and come on hard the last half of the year. Also looking forward to see Shiloh and NSGU make the switch to 11-man!
Attack the Process
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:45 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Region 1: Oakes, Thompson, Hatton-Northwood, Milnor-North Sargent, Lisbon, Ellendale/Edgeley-Kulm, Oak Grove, Northern Cass

Region 2: Langdon/Edmore/Munich, Grafton, Rugby, Carrington, Park River-FL, Harvey-Wells County, Bottineau, Westhope-Newburg-Glenburn

Region 3: Velva, Bishop Ryan/ORCS, Nedrose, Des Lacs-Burlington, Kenmare/Bowbells/BC, Tioga, South Prairie, Garrison-Max

Region 4: Dickinson Trinity, Shiloh Christian, Killdeer, New Salem-Glen Ullin, Bowman County, Southern McLean, Heart River, Richardton-Taylor-Hebron

I agree with most of this. The only teams I would question their ranking is I think Milnor-NS will push for 2nd or 3rd seed in Region 1 and I'm not sure what will happen with Carrington but I don't see them being the 4th seed in that region. They lost just about everything from last year, I think Harvey is in that top 4 not Carrington.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Region2FootballFan » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:32 am

Region 1: Oakes, Thompson, Lisbon, Northwood, Milnor, Oak Grove, EEK, NC

Region 2: Langdon, Carrington, Grafton, Rugby, Harvey, Park river, Westhope, Bottineau

Region 3: Velva, DLB, Bishop Ryan, Nedrose, Kennmare, Tioga, South Prarie, Garrison

Region 4: Shiloh, Dickinson Trinity, New Salem, Killdeer, Bowman County, Washburn, R/T, Belfield
Region2FootballFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby B-oldtimer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:06 pm

Region 2 Langdon should be favorite from this region but I have feeling that they could have championship hang over this year. Also they have talented group of kids but they are not very deep and don't have a lot of size. This could be much more competitive region than anybody guesses. I have feeling that Grafton will be player in this region as well as Rugby. Sleeper could be Carrington they had quality program in past so wouldn't be surprised if they are there at the end.
Just something I have been hearing that number of schools are down numbers for football is this true or just talk I hear.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:12 pm

I have also heard numbers are down at a few different programs across the eastern half of the state. I was waiting for rosters to go up on the NDHSAA website to confirm.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Class B » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Region 3: I'd have to agree with the other accounts that the title goes through BR/OR or Velva. But dang, Nedrose intrigues me a bit. They have athletes and numbers. As a program they continue to get better each year and the players seem to buy into what they are doing. They could very well be a State Quarterfinal team this year.

Don't sleep on DLB this year either. Senior QB - 3 year starter. Veteran line. Just need to find a runner-but they are another school that never seems to have a problem finding another athlete.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby Class B » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:07 am

Class B wrote:Region 3: I'd have to agree with the other accounts that the title goes through BR/OR or Velva. But dang, Nedrose intrigues me a bit. They have athletes and numbers. As a program they continue to get better each year and the players seem to buy into what they are doing. They could very well be a State Quarterfinal team this year.

Don't sleep on DLB this year either. Senior QB - 3 year starter. Veteran line. Just need to find a runner-but they are another school that never seems to have a problem finding another athlete.

Ok, so this isn't aging well.... but don't give up on Nedrose yet. :D :lol:
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Return to A