Private Schools...An Unfair advantage?

The teams in Class A

Private Schools...An Unfair advantage?

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:55 pm

I thought we could use a “clean” thread to update the Playoff Bracket...

I’ll go...

*Hillsboro
*Langdon
*Velva
*Beulah
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Private Schools...An Unfair advantage?

Postby Dualsportfan » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:11 am

I will take...
Hillsboro...because they are Hillsboro

Kindred....flipped a coin

Bowman County...Too many seniors

Dickinson Trinity..Speed over power if the weather is nice :D
Dualsportfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:36 pm

magic man wrote:Just going back to my initial premise is that if you're going to do things that blatantly have a negative impact on only private schools (free/reduced lunch) then it needs to be balanced out (foreign exchange/international students)

Allowing schools that have thousands of kids within driving distance of their school to compete in Class A or 9 man has a negative impact on only the public schools.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby NodakQ2 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:05 pm

This week, I’ll go with the East...
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby magic man » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:21 pm

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I think we are on the same page in some aspects, but there are some fundamental differences we have.

Those parents still have to be convinced to pay 25 - 40k for their kid to go to school. Not always an easy decision.

And again, families with $$$ aren't always big on their kids playing football.

Flip wrote:
magic man wrote:Just going back to my initial premise is that if you're going to do things that blatantly have a negative impact on only private schools (free/reduced lunch) then it needs to be balanced out (foreign exchange/international students)

Allowing schools that have thousands of kids within driving distance of their school to compete in Class A or 9 man has a negative impact on only the public schools.
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby Dualsportfan » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:29 pm

I’ll take Langdon and Hillsboro this week.
Dualsportfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bulldog_power » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:01 pm

Flip wrote:

Flip would you include all the public schools that live close to urban areas as being at an unfair advantage? A lot of parents live in places like Richland, thompson, new salem and other class B towns and just drive to the big town for work. Those parents don’t even have to pay to send their kids to those schools. Just an interesting perspective to think about. Regardless of where your school is at enrollment is enrollment so if you live in Fargo and your school has 100 boys or you live in the middle of nowhere and your school has 100 boys. It’s still 100 boys either way. Everyone is so worried about private schools. When’s the last time a private school won a championship outside the AA division. I think it was bishop Ryan in te late 90s or early 2000s but I can’t remember. I don’t see Shanley having near the success they do in AA at the AAA level. They will be a playoff team because of lack of competition, but won’t be winning state titles over Bismarck and century and the better teams in te east.
bulldog_power
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:41 am

bulldog_power wrote:Flip would you include all the public schools that live close to urban areas as being at an unfair advantage?

Schools near urban areas have an advantage. I wouldn't use the term "unfair."

Regardless of where your school is at enrollment is enrollment so if you live in Fargo and your school has 100 boys or you live in the middle of nowhere and your school has 100 boys. It’s still 100 boys either way.

Should Bismarck High play Harvey/Wells County? It's 11 boys vs 11 boys.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bulldog_power » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:52 pm

Flip wrote:
bulldog_power wrote:Flip would you include all the public schools that live close to urban areas as being at an unfair advantage?

Regardless of where your school is at enrollment is enrollment so if you live in Fargo and your school has 100 boys or you live in the middle of nowhere and your school has 100 boys. It’s still 100 boys either way.

Flip you know we are discussing the amount of boys a school has to choose from to field a team, not
The number of players on the field. I am simply making the point it doesn’t really matter where a school is located at, but what does matter is that particular schools enrollment. That’s the reason Jamestown is upset about being back in AAA because their enrollment is so much smaller than the other schools try have to play. They both will have 11 guys on the field but they have 300 boys in school and Minot has 1000 it is pretty easy to figure out the team that will probably find more athletes to play on their team. We can argue the semantics of it but if two schools both have 100 boys in it, I would say it’s fair that they would be in the same division regardless of where they are located or if they are private or public.
Sometimes I wonder if people confuse private schools with Charter schools like they have in other states that get state funding. ND does not allow those types of schools
bulldog_power
NDPreps Starter

Postby magic man » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:53 am

Bulldog

Those that oppose private schools, do not care about actual facts, they only care to know if they are private or not and that they should be judged differently.

Good post of facts.

bulldog_power wrote:
Flip wrote:

Flip you know we are discussing the amount of boys a school has to choose from to field a team, not
The number of players on the field. I am simply making the point it doesn’t really matter where a school is located at, but what does matter is that particular schools enrollment. That’s the reason Jamestown is upset about being back in AAA because their enrollment is so much smaller than the other schools try have to play. They both will have 11 guys on the field but they have 300 boys in school and Minot has 1000 it is pretty easy to figure out the team that will probably find more athletes to play on their team. We can argue the semantics of it but if two schools both have 100 boys in it, I would say it’s fair that they would be in the same division regardless of where they are located or if they are private or public.
Sometimes I wonder if people confuse private schools with Charter schools like they have in other states that get state funding. ND does not allow those types of schools
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:42 pm

#1 factor determining enrollment at a public school is kids in that district.
What is the #1 factor in determining enrollment at a private school? I don't know, I'm sure there are many variables. 100 boys at Shiloh and 100 boys at Harvey is not an apples to apples comparison.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:44 pm

Just to give some background on success of private schools in football, this isn't listed to be 1 sided in either direction it's just given as a measuring stick. Last 6 seasons combined record of private schools:

Bismarck Shiloh Christian- 61-8
Bismarck St. Marys- 63-7
Dickinson Trinity- 31-27 (includes a 0-9 years in 2013)
Fargo Oak Grove- 18-33
Fargo Shanley- 60-9
Minot Bishop Ryan- 45-13

Williston Trinity Christian has been in a co-op with Trenton, they have really struggled. They aren't the host school in the co-op. I don't think many people that have a problem with private schools have a problem with Trinity Christian. I could be wrong.

I have state my stance on private schools numerous times on this board. I don't have a problem with private schools that don't play in the smallest class of their given sport.

I noticed that someone brought up funding, it is true that private schools don't receive state funding (and they shouldn't due to the separation of church/state). I ask you these two questions:

How many public class B schools have a multi-million dollar athletic complex?
How many public class B schools have a gym that is nicer than the local college gymnasium?

I'll bring up a phrase that I've heard many times in my life and I think it can be applied to the enrollment number dilemma dealing with 100 boys is 100 boys: Fair isn't always equal.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby magic man » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:43 pm

magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:15 pm

Has nothing to do with the topic.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to A