North Dakota Scores.net

The teams in Class A

Re: North Dakota Scores.net

Postby Flip » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:01 am

The Schwab wrote:1. The link and all of the information comes from the MINNESOTA plan, we in North Dakota can't/shouldn't adopt the plan exactly because:
A. We don't have the same number of classes and can't have a lot (if any) of out of division games, if we do have any it'd be a 9-man vs. 11-man game.
B. They don't have to schedule teams in their section/region, teams in ND do.
C. We don't use this formula to seed the playoffs like Minnesota does. They use it to seed the section tournaments and then they have some kind of randomized section alignment for the quarter-finals. I don't know for sure, because I don't follow MN closely, but I'm assuming it's not QRF as they already have the section winners and game locations assigned for the quarter finals.

These are all reasonable issues IMO.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:25 pm

NodakQ2 wrote:My .02, for what it’s worth...The system is a “fail” if Velva goes to #1. IMO, the West is not as strong as the East this year. If Velva goes to #1, you will have the THREE best teams in State in the same bracket. Flame away... :shock:

If they weren’t doing QRF...wouldn’t they still be on the same side of bracket??
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby NodakQ2 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:45 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
NodakQ2 wrote:My .02, for what it’s worth...The system is a “fail” if Velva goes to #1. IMO, the West is not as strong as the East this year. If Velva goes to #1, you will have the THREE best teams in State in the same bracket. Flame away... :shock:

If they weren’t doing QRF...wouldn’t they still be on the same side of bracket??

Yes...all I'm saying is that QRF isn't perfect either when the two sides of the state aren't playing each other. There just aren't enough common opponets or games to make QRF work the way it is designed. I think last year worked out as good as it could with the final 8 being the top 8 QRF teams, and this year MAY very well work out as well. IMO you will see the "flaw" of the system if the QRF makes it East vs. West anyway. We won't truely know until some East teams play some West teams in the playoffs. If this is the case, you may as well keep it simple and play East against West in the finals like it was previous to this "2 year plan". Kudos to them for trying something different I guess. Nothing is perfect but its fun to try to figure out what is "best"...
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Forget the polls and the QRF for a second.
who are the top 4-5 teams in order?
I'm curious what others think. I really don't know.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:29 am

Flip wrote:Forget the polls and the QRF for a second.
who are the top 4-5 teams in order?
I'm curious what others think. I really don't know.

I would put the top five teams in this order:

1. Hillsborro-CV
2. Velva
3. Langdon
4. Bowman County
5. Bishop Ryan

This is obviously going to move a little potentially because of the Bishop Ryan vs. Velva matchup this week but this would be my order today. Here are my thoughts on a couple of the teams. HCV is the number one team until beaten. They have depth, they have a great run game, they play solid defense, and they dont have a glaring weakness IMO. I love Velva's skill position guys and the size they have there. The line does a nice job and their offense really fits the guys they have. You know Velva is going to be well coached and will be ready to roll. Finally Langdon, I think they have lots of talent but it's really young talent. Their best players are sophomores and juniors. They are really small up front but they use their speed to offset that lack of size. The skill guys do a nice job and the offense is designed to get the most out of what they have on the line. I worry that Langdon is going to struggle at some point in the playoffs because they like to air it out and with the weather we have had lately that is going to be difficult. I have yet to see anything from Langdon that shows they can line it up and smash the ball down the field with a power run game. I'm not sure this is their year but they will be one of the best teams in the state for a couple more years. Carrington gets left out because they were shallow to begin with and now with a couple injuries I just dont think they are the same team. I really feel for Carrington as I think they had a shot with everyone healthy.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:42 am

I honestly don't know how to rank the teams and I really doubt that anyone has seen all of the top teams play live, maybe some have on film, but I doubt it. I think people are sleeping on the western teams, could simply be due to the fact that not many have seen them play. Bowman is a very, very good football team. Dickinson Trinity is a very good football team. When they played earlier it was a tight game and Bowman overcame two pick-6s to win the game.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby RattlerWebWonk » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:55 pm

I giggle and shake my head when people start talking about who the "2 best teams in the state" playing in the championship game should be. From what I've seen this year, there is a HUGE disparity between top and bottom teams; more than I have ever seen. It makes it nearly impossible to even speculate.

What seems fairly certain is that Hillsboro-CV, Kindred, Langdon, Carrington, Velva, Bishop Ryan, Bowman County and Dickinson Trinity ALL have a legitimate claim to being a top-2 team in the state. Where these 8 get placed in the bracket will play a big part in who makes it to the dome.

I've had enough of watching blowout after blowout. I'm glad the games will finally start getting fun to watch. I'll definitely be in Velva tomorrow night!!
RattlerWebWonk
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:29 pm

RattlerWebWonk wrote:I giggle and shake my head when people start talking about who the "2 best teams in the state" playing in the championship game should be. From what I've seen this year, there is a HUGE disparity between top and bottom teams; more than I have ever seen. It makes it nearly impossible to even speculate.

That's every year in HS FB.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:31 am

I agree with the Schwab I don't know how these teams should be ranked and I willing to bet nobody for sure knows how to rank them. Hillsboro as reigning state champion I feel they probably had the edge yet because of size and depth of their program as well as the experience they have from last year playing on this team. Langdon and Velva I look at these teams rosters and they seem to mirror each other a lot with both of them made up a lot of young players. Velva has few more seniors but Langdon's players have the experience of last year and year before playing so I would rate them as equals. Everybody looks at Langdon's players being young but several of these kids have been playing since the 8 th grade on varsity so even as sophomores these kids have a lot of experience. Now region 4 I know very little about but that region has history of having good football teams in the past and they could be that their top teams might be as strong as any one of the above teams. But like I posted before with how teams are ranked now we could see a lot of east to west match-ups with team traveling across the state one way or another. I was looking up the distances between the top teams in each region and if they have to travel to each other the distances are amazing. Langdon to Bowman is 420 miles, Velva 165 miles, and Hillsboro 151 miles; Hillsboro to Bowman is 400 miles, Velva 205 miles; Bowman to Velva 254 miles. To put a little perspective on this Bowman went south instead of north to Langdon in same distance they would be Cheyenne WY and another 100 miles Denver, Co or Langdon could go to the Twin cities in same number of miles. I know there are no easy solutions to this in state the size of North Dakota but it puts a little perspective what these high school athletes will encounter in next few weeks why this does matter how state playoffs are structured.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Class B » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:19 am

Flip wrote:
RattlerWebWonk wrote:I giggle and shake my head when people start talking about who the "2 best teams in the state" playing in the championship game should be. From what I've seen this year, there is a HUGE disparity between top and bottom teams; more than I have ever seen. It makes it nearly impossible to even speculate.

Makes somewhat of an argument that the 4 class system, as we currently know it, has run it's course.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:40 am

Flip wrote:

I agree with Flip here. There isn't that much more disparity than in years past. Look at last year with HCV and Langdon and I would venture that their scores look about the same as this year. The top teams always feast on the bottom teams that isn't something new to this year.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Class B » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:41 am

B-oldtimer wrote:I agree with the Schwab I don't know how these teams should be ranked and I willing to bet nobody for sure knows how to rank them. Hillsboro as reigning state champion I feel they probably had the edge yet because of size and depth of their program as well as the experience they have from last year playing on this team. Langdon and Velva I look at these teams rosters and they seem to mirror each other a lot with both of them made up a lot of young players. Velva has few more seniors but Langdon's players have the experience of last year and year before playing so I would rate them as equals. Everybody looks at Langdon's players being young but several of these kids have been playing since the 8 th grade on varsity so even as sophomores these kids have a lot of experience. Now region 4 I know very little about but that region has history of having good football teams in the past and they could be that their top teams might be as strong as any one of the above teams. But like I posted before with how teams are ranked now we could see a lot of east to west match-ups with team traveling across the state one way or another. I was looking up the distances between the top teams in each region and if they have to travel to each other the distances are amazing. Langdon to Bowman is 420 miles, Velva 165 miles, and Hillsboro 151 miles; Hillsboro to Bowman is 400 miles, Velva 205 miles; Bowman to Velva 254 miles. To put a little perspective on this Bowman went south instead of north to Langdon in same distance they would be Cheyenne WY and another 100 miles Denver, Co or Langdon could go to the Twin cities in same number of miles. I know there are no easy solutions to this in state the size of North Dakota but it puts a little perspective what these high school athletes will encounter in next few weeks why this does matter how state playoffs are structured.

I would put Velva as similarly young. It's amazing to see Langdon and Velva as successful as they are. Velva has 5 seniors and 2 juniors. They are really underclassman dominated. Needless to say Velva and Langdon aren't going anywhere but up these next couple of years.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby bequickdonthurry » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:44 am

Class B wrote:
Flip wrote:

Makes somewhat of an argument that the 4 class system, as we currently know it, has run it's course.

Really? So we have 3 classes and that'll mean LESS disparity? :roll:
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:12 pm

bequickdonthurry wrote:
Class B wrote:
Flip wrote:

Hey Quick, what makes you think it would be a 3 class system ?? There’s already 6 man teams in the state, I would assume they would have a better at getting their own class.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Class B » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:58 am

packers21 wrote:
bequickdonthurry wrote:
Class B wrote:
Flip wrote:

Hey Quick, what makes you think it would be a 3 class system ?? There’s already 6 man teams in the state, I would assume they would have a better at getting their own class.

BINGO. Expand the current AAA format to include all of the traditional Class A schools and bring back the old Class B 11 man to fill out the remaining 11 man class. Expand 9 man to include the smaller A schools. 4 classes... A, B-11,B-9,B-6. It will stabilize all of the classes. Less bouncing back and force with each 2 year realignment.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby Class B » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:08 am

bequickdonthurry wrote:
Class B wrote:
Flip wrote:

Well, yes. Class A is not very competitive 1-8. More teams would vie for region titles by bringing back the old Class B 11-man. Less 50-0 games.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:44 am

Class B wrote:BINGO. Expand the current AAA format to include all of the traditional Class A schools and bring back the old Class B 11 man to fill out the remaining 11 man class. Expand 9 man to include the smaller A schools. 4 classes... A, B-11,B-9,B-6. It will stabilize all of the classes. Less bouncing back and force with each 2 year realignment.

Care to expand on this?

Well, yes. Class A is not very competitive 1-8. More teams would vie for region titles by bringing back the old Class B 11-man. Less 50-0 games.

I don't see it.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mandan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:36 pm

Flip wrote:
Class B wrote:BINGO. Expand the current AAA format to include all of the traditional Class A schools and bring back the old Class B 11 man to fill out the remaining 11 man class. Expand 9 man to include the smaller A schools. 4 classes... A, B-11,B-9,B-6. It will stabilize all of the classes. Less bouncing back and force with each 2 year realignment.

Care to expand on this?

I don't see it.

I think the only way you stop the "bouncing back and forth" is to establish enrollment lines for 11 man, 9 man, 6 man like we have for sports other than football. Instead of the current hard line of forcing A to have 32 teams, AA to have so many, AAA so many, etc. If you had enrollment lines for each level, then you'd only have movement when a school's enrollment crossed the line.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:25 pm

Mandan wrote:
Flip wrote:

Care to expand on this?

I don't see it.

I think the only way you stop the "bouncing back and forth" is to establish enrollment lines for 11 man, 9 man, 6 man like we have for sports other than football. Instead of the current hard line of forcing A to have 32 teams, AA to have so many, AAA so many, etc. If you had enrollment lines for each level, then you'd only have movement when a school's enrollment crossed the line.

A possible issue on this is unbalanced regions with more teams moving into a specified 'class'.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Previous

Return to A