2018 Playoff Bracket

The teams in Class A

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby packers21 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:01 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
packers21 wrote:
Flip wrote:Great first half by LEM. 47 "big time" plays, by my count.

Hahahahahah this made my day “big time”

Who was covering the game?

Derek Bakker and Mark “Big Time” Pearson
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:04 pm

packers21 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
packers21 wrote:
Flip wrote:Great first half by LEM. 47 "big time" plays, by my count.

Hahahahahah this made my day “big time”

Who was covering the game?

Derek Bakker and Mark “Big Time” Pearson

Ah yes Bakken & Pearson...I'm glad I'm on the other end of the press box area today.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby madseason » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:55 pm

madseason wrote:I think run will pick Hillsboro over Langdon also :) And he will be right this time.

OOPS! What a great game! Too bad a team had to lose. (they both got a trophy though) This was my first time watching Langdon area this year and I like how they put it on the line. The most exciting team I have seen since the 2015 Aggies> Wow that would be a great game 15 Aggies Vs 18 Cardinals. Fantasy game Langdon slightly better through the air and PRFL better running attack. I think HCV didn't use the pass (Henningsgard) enough to win. Langdon Repeats next year? I wonder how much the #1 ranking in the QRF decided this game LOL I wonder how many kids had a free lunch after the game :)
Last edited by madseason on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby fball4life » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:16 pm

magic man wrote:10 + point win for HCV.

They go back up to 2A undefeated. (They should never return to 1A)

You should never return to this site :lol: . Writing off every team that played Hillsboro with no simple understanding of any other team.
fball4life
NDPreps Reserve

Postby magic man » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:45 pm

No understanding of the teams huh? You're very knowledgeable.

The best team won, I was wrong.

Congrats to the Cardinals, they played great Defense and that QB made some big time throws.

fball4life wrote:
magic man wrote:10 + point win for HCV.

They go back up to 2A undefeated. (They should never return to 1A)

You should never return to this site :lol: . Writing off every team that played Hillsboro with no simple understanding of any other team.
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby madseason » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:16 pm

Great game! Lets just leave it at that? :) Both teams played their hearts out.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby defensewinsgames » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:51 pm

I can't say enough about how impressed I was with Langdon on Friday. They played really hard, they had an excellent game plan, they were really well coached, and they executed. Langdon deserved that win. On Friday they were the better team, I'm not sure if you play that game 10 times how many times Langdon would win. A lot of people didn't think they had a great chance going into the game (myself included) but that is why they play the game. Langdon made big time plays at key moments and I thought won all phases of the game (defense, offense, and specials). Congrats Langdon on a great team win. I don't think it is going too far to say that there is a really good chance that you will see this team back in the Dakota Bowl next year.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:35 am

LEM just seemed to get the worst out of the other teams they played. Kindred, Bowman and HCV all had the most penalties called against them all year when they played LEM.
Great Game just way to many big Penalties for HCV to win and Big plays by LEM.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:21 am

maddog1971 wrote:LEM just seemed to get the worst out of the other teams they played. Kindred, Bowman and HCV all had the most penalties called against them all year when they played LEM.

I look at it like this. Multiple PLAYOFF teams are forced into mistakes when the other team is well-coached and mentally prepared. It’s not a fluke those teams had those types of games against this team and I’m not a Langdon fan but give credit where it’s due. Langdon is a big-play air it out type offense that’s how they play, I thought HCV should of tried to take the top off a little more and get the ball to their best play-maker more. C. Henn. Overall I thought it was the best game of the day. Both teams played hard. I think HCV 7/10 times in the dome and 9/10 times outside in November.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Class B » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:10 pm

What I liked about the playoffs in "A" this year was how close the top 4-5 teams were. The Langdon/Hillsboro game, a play that went the other way could have made the final in Hillsboro's favor. Same with Bowman/Langdon and Velva/Bowman (Bowman scored a meaningless pick 6 at the end). I don't think this was completely realized going into the final game.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:33 pm

packers21 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:LEM just seemed to get the worst out of the other teams they played. Kindred, Bowman and HCV all had the most penalties called against them all year when they played LEM.

I look at it like this. Multiple PLAYOFF teams are forced into mistakes when the other team is well-coached and mentally prepared. It’s not a fluke those teams had those types of games against this team and I’m not a Langdon fan but give credit where it’s due. Langdon is a big-play air it out type offense that’s how they play, I thought HCV should of tried to take the top off a little more and get the ball to their best play-maker more. C. Henn. Overall I thought it was the best game of the day. Both teams played hard. I think HCV 7/10 times in the dome and 9/10 times outside in November.

I was not bashing them.... whatever they are doing keep doing it. They are brought out mistakes in the other team with lots of penalties.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:30 am

packers21 wrote:

I agree with this 100%. I think part of it is not controllable - you can't decide what the refs call or don't but a huge part of it is that Langdon doesn't make a ton of mental mistakes. They are really well coached and really well prepared. I also agree the HCV played a little conservative but the QB struggled some on Friday so I don't know if taking the top off was the answer. Overall great game to watch. Langdon did what they needed to and are now state champs.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby HighSchoolSportsFan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:11 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:
packers21 wrote:

I agree with this 100%. I think part of it is not controllable - you can't decide what the refs call or don't but a huge part of it is that Langdon doesn't make a ton of mental mistakes. They are really well coached and really well prepared. I also agree the HCV played a little conservative but the QB struggled some on Friday so I don't know if taking the top off was the answer. Overall great game to watch. Langdon did what they needed to and are now state champs.

I would agree with this as well. I often chuckle when people comment on how bad their team played in a particular game. Most of the time (if not always) the other team has quite a bit to do with it. Seems that it maybe isn't a coincidence but rather coaching/discipline/preperation etc. when it is the same team getting those breaks game after game throughout the playoffs.

As far as HCV taking the top off or going to their best playmaker more, I thought Benson was their best playmaker Friday and throughout the entire season. LEM basically didn't stop the run all day but then had a kid step up and make a play when it mattered most.
HighSchoolSportsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby steel » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:27 pm

Not taking anything away from LEM and their title this year, but the 2015 PRFL team would destroy this years LEM team. Maybe in a year or two it might be competitive, but not this year. I think A division was really down this year compared to others.IMHO
steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby Class B » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:54 pm

steel wrote:Not taking anything away from LEM and their title this year, but the 2015 PRFL team would destroy this years LEM team. Maybe in a year or two it might be competitive, but not this year. I think A division was really down this year compared to others.IMHO

Ugh...
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:57 pm

steel wrote:Not taking anything away from LEM and their title this year, but the 2015 PRFL team would destroy this years LEM team. Maybe in a year or two it might be competitive, but not this year. I think A division was really down this year compared to others.IMHO

You are taking things away from them though. No one said this team was better than PRFL in 2015. Let them enjoy their title.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:39 pm

IIRC the '14 PRFL team was a year early and won a state title. In '15 they were the hands down, clear cut, we're going to kick everybody's butt to a championship team.

I would compare the '18 LEM team to the '14 PRFL team with the '19 team a chance to be like the '15 PRFL team.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby RedDirtFan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:35 pm

What was the point of this comment? It's completely irrelevant to the discussion, and makes you look ridiculous.

Congrats to the Cardinals. There were subtle clues throughout the season as to how good they were.

1. Scored most of their points in the first half. Running clock second halves until the Carrington game.

2. Beating Carrington in Carrington. Tough place to play and a long trip, to boot. It would have been great to be on the sideline for this one.

Then, in the playoffs,

3. Had to adjust their style of play to the weather against Kindred. Yeah, they were down 7-6 into the second half but they controlled that game after their first touchdown. Kindred had a couple of long runs but that's about all they did offensively.

4. Flipped the script in the second half against Bowman County.

Hate to say it but I didn't go to a single HS game this season. I found myself tuning into Jake Kulland and the Cardinals most Friday nights at work--so that's how I followed along. It's great to see another Northeast ND team come out on top in Class A.

I thought they'd beat HCV after 3 impressive playoff wins. Glad I was right.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby steel » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:00 am

Just replying to madseasons comments on the comparison of the 2 titlists. It is a moot point. Cardinals beat everyone they played this year and should be proud of their Championship. I am curious you think would have been the outcome of a Thompson-LEM game this year for argument sake? Thompson had quite a few more players. I would have to give the Tommies the advantage, but in a one game deal you never know. Just trying to get some opinions
steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:04 am

steel wrote:Just replying to madseasons comments on the comparison of the 2 titlists. It is a moot point. Cardinals beat everyone they played this year and should be proud of their Championship. I am curious you think would have been the outcome of a Thompson-LEM game this year for argument sake? Thompson had quite a few more players. I would have to give the Tommies the advantage, but in a one game deal you never know. Just trying to get some opinions

Hard to gauge that comparison as Thompson played games with 2 less players...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Class B » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:32 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
steel wrote:Just replying to madseasons comments on the comparison of the 2 titlists. It is a moot point. Cardinals beat everyone they played this year and should be proud of their Championship. I am curious you think would have been the outcome of a Thompson-LEM game this year for argument sake? Thompson had quite a few more players. I would have to give the Tommies the advantage, but in a one game deal you never know. Just trying to get some opinions

Hard to gauge that comparison as Thompson played games with 2 less players...

Agreed. This is an apples/oranges comparison. The 9-man game is wide open and flourishes with 4 less players on the field. It's a much different game when you add the 4 players. I'm not saying 9 man teams couldn't beat 11 man teams, but it's impossible to compare until both teams are on equal ground.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:39 am

I would take Langdon with 11 players vs. Thompson with 9 players. I think the Cardinals would really use those two extra players on the field to their advantage. I'm not sure how Thompson would cover Langdon when they were short two guys. If you drop all 9 into coverage then Langdon just runs for 6 yards a carry. I will take Langdon by a score of 50 to 14. Thompson's playmakers would be neutralized by having two more players (one could be in coverage and the other could be a designated spy on the quarterback).

I realize this is a ridiculous analysis but so was the question so I assumed it is what was wanted. This argument is no different than the would Alabama beat Oakland, would NDSU play with Alabama, would the '72 Dophins beat the '07 Patriots, or who is better Jordan or James. They are apples to oranges comparisons that serve no purpose other than to get people worked up. Why are we not capable of leaving it at both teams were really good and were the best team in the state at their division this year?
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:15 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:

I would take Langdon with 11 players vs. Thompson with 9 players. I think the Cardinals would really use those two extra players on the field to their advantage. I'm not sure how Thompson would cover Langdon when they were short two guys. If you drop all 9 into coverage then Langdon just runs for 6 yards a carry. I will take Langdon by a score of 50 to 14. Thompson's playmakers would be neutralized by having two more players (one could be in coverage and the other could be a designated spy on the quarterback).

I realize this is a ridiculous analysis but so was the question so I assumed it is what was wanted. This argument is no different than the would Alabama beat Oakland, would NDSU play with Alabama, would the '72 Dophins beat the '07 Patriots, or who is better Jordan or James. They are apples to oranges comparisons that serve no purpose other than to get people worked up. Why are we not capable of leaving it at both teams were really good and were the best team in the state at their division this year?

I'd take most teams 11 v 9...hard to cover those WRs with 2 less players on the field :lol: :wink: :roll:
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Previous

Return to A