Playoff Prediction Thread

The teams in Class A

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:46 pm

The Schwab wrote:Edit: Really windy, Napoleon was a passing team. And the game didn't have any playoff implications for Napoleon, last game of the year.

It wasn't the last game of the year. Napoleon still had a game vs Wyndmere-Lidgerwood for the region title. After the Hankinson game everyone and their mother was picking WL, besides me. I picked Napoleon to win it all the entire year. I used to know a lot about 9 man football.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:54 pm

Flip wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Edit: Really windy, Napoleon was a passing team. And the game didn't have any playoff implications for Napoleon, last game of the year.

It wasn't the last game of the year. Napoleon still had a game vs Wyndmere-Lidgerwood for the region title. After the Hankinson game everyone and their mother was picking WL, besides me. I picked Napoleon to win it all the entire year. I used to know a lot about 9 man football.

http://northdakotahsfootball.altervista ... poleon.htm
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:42 am

The Schwab wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Flip wrote:
Wilbur wrote:Not a prediction but can anyone else remember a time where a teams only loss came to a team that didn't make the playoffs? That's the case for Dickinson Trinity this year and their loss to Bowman.

2011 Napoleon lost to Hankinson 6-0 in OT. Napoleon's only loss of the season as they went on to win the state title.

Yep and Hankinson only won 3 games that year

I remember that now that you mention it! Really, really bad weather that night if I remember right.

Edit: Really windy, Napoleon was a passing team. And the game didn't have any playoff implications for Napoleon, last game of the year.

This is half true in my opinion. The weather was really bad that night but Napoleon was not just a passing team. They ran just as well with the quarterback runs and the big tailback that year. The Wyndmere playoff game was 30 mph winds and Wyndmere was a true passing team and that game came down to Napoleon could run the ball and Wyndmere couldn't.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby magic man » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:40 pm

So what you're saying is that even with the 10 missing freshmen, HCV still has about 10 - 15 more kids then OG and MVE?
If you think that doesn't matter, you're mistaken.

HCV is talented, no doubt.. But it helps when you can change your D-line every 2 plays, if needed. (Which is what I witnessed them do vs a couple of teams this year).

The Schwab wrote:
bball4 wrote:
Rivershark wrote:
Barfly wrote:
Rivershark wrote:I don't see any team from the West making it to the Championship game. The East will continue their streak.

Who do you see making the semifinals?

Hillsboro, Oak Groove, Trinity, Des Lacs, Velva, Beulah, Langdon, EEK

Hillsboro, Trinity, Beulah, EEK

Hillsboro, EEK

Hillsboro - reclassification worked out in their favor this year.

Couldn't agree more with that working in their favor. Stating the obvious...I watch teams like Oak Grove and Enderlin/MV dress 20 kids for a game & most kids play both ways. Tough to compete with a team that dresses double that. I am sure some Hillsboro kids play both ways but I would guess it's quite a few less than the others.

Would really like to see a rematch of EEK/Hillsboro.

I haven't seen any of the 3 teams play. I see that HCV has 44 players on their roster with 10 of them being freshman. I also see that Oak Grove and EMV both have 25 players on their roster with 2 freshman each. My question would be: How many freshman, if any, play major minutes for HCV? In my experience you don't see a lot of freshman contributing for a playoff football team. I could be way off on this, just an observation.
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:58 pm

HCV isn't even the biggest school in A - Oak Grove, PRFLVE, New Town, Stanley, Beulah, and Washburn-Wilton-Wing all have larger enrollments according to the numbers provided by the NDHSAA. Others (MNS/EEK/Hazen/Dickinson Trinity) have 1-2 less kids. Considering that 6 schools are bigger and 4 have about the same number of kids, AND that HCV won the state basketball championship last spring, I'd say the Burro's are dominant not because of numbers, but because of their quality athletes and coaches doing a good job of getting kids to go out and stay out.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby magic man » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Interesting.

That's good they get to keep those kids out.

Do you happen to know what number of those kids at HCV participate in Soccer, Tennis, or Cross Country?

*** I also just looked, and without that dumb adjustment for free & reduced lunch, HCV would be at 107, behind only New Town, Stanley, PRFLVE and Beulah.

Flying Wallenda wrote:HCV isn't even the biggest school in A - Oak Grove, PRFLVE, New Town, Stanley, Beulah, and Washburn-Wilton-Wing all have larger enrollments according to the numbers provided by the NDHSAA. Others (MNS/EEK/Hazen/Dickinson Trinity) have 1-2 less kids. Considering that 6 schools are bigger and 4 have about the same number of kids, AND that HCV won the state basketball championship last spring, I'd say the Burro's are dominant not because of numbers, but because of their quality athletes and coaches doing a good job of getting kids to go out and stay out.
Last edited by magic man on Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:54 pm

magic man wrote:Do you happen to know what number of those kids at HCV participate in Soccer, Tennis, or Cross Country?

Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby magic man » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:08 pm

Thank you.

Those numbers can effect who's available for fall sports, namely football.

Flip wrote:
magic man wrote:Do you happen to know what number of those kids at HCV participate in Soccer, Tennis, or Cross Country?

magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:20 pm

magic man wrote:Thank you.

Those numbers can effect who's available for fall sports, namely football.

Flip wrote:

No Soccer or Tennis. About a dozen on CC.

They'd have 4 schools larger, with MNS 2 less, EEK the same, Barnes county 5 less, Langdon 7 less, Washburn Wilton the same, and Hazen 7 less - They are good because of the talent pool at this time, getting a large number of participants, and likely good coaching, plain and simple.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:58 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:HCV isn't even the biggest school in A - Oak Grove, PRFLVE, New Town, Stanley, Beulah, and Washburn-Wilton-Wing all have larger enrollments according to the numbers provided by the NDHSAA. Others (MNS/EEK/Hazen/Dickinson Trinity) have 1-2 less kids. Considering that 6 schools are bigger and 4 have about the same number of kids, AND that HCV won the state basketball championship last spring, I'd say the Burro's are dominant not because of numbers, but because of their quality athletes and coaches doing a good job of getting kids to go out and stay out.

Take the raw numbers not the adjusted numbers...a student is a student (not a percentage)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndfootball4444 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:25 pm

bball4 wrote:
Rivershark wrote:
Barfly wrote:
Rivershark wrote:I don't see any team from the West making it to the Championship game. The East will continue their streak.

Hillsboro, EEK

Couldn't agree more with that working in their favor. Stating the obvious...I watch teams like Oak Grove and Enderlin/MV dress 20 kids for a game & most kids play both ways. Tough to compete with a team that dresses double that. I am sure some Hillsboro kids play both ways but I would guess it's quite a few less than the others.

Speaking of rematch. What happened with HCV winning soo big on EEK earlier this year?? I really thought EEK was the team to beat in A Football. Did they have an off night or is HVC that good, i thought it would be a lot closer game going either atleast? It seams reclassification worked out for a few teams dropping down this year in 1A. Whatever its about numbers i get it.
ndfootball4444
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfootball4444 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:38 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:G1: R2 #4 Westhope-Newburg-Glenburn (5-3) @ R1 #1 Hillsboro-Central Valley (8-0).
G2: R1 #3 Oak Grove (6-2) @ R2 #2 Carrington (7-1). I will take Carrington in a close game. I think this will be one of the best games of the weekend and it will boil down to who can slow down the other's run game.

G3: R3 #4 Stanley (4-4) @ R4 #1 Dickinson Trinity (6-1)
G4: R4 #3 Killdeer (6-2) @ R3 #2 Des Lacs-Burlington (7-1). I think this will be another interesting matchup. I think that Des Lacs gets a win but that it will be a tough game.

G5: R4 #4 Hazen (4-4) @ R3 #1 Velva/Sawyer (8-0)
G6: R3 #3 Bishop Ryan (6-2) @ R4 #2 Beulah (7-1). This one intrigues me as I think it says a lot about the playoff chances of Beulah. If they come out and impress it will make me feel alot better about their ability to give Langdon or Hillsboro in later matchups.
G7: R1 #4 Kindred (4-4) @ R2 #1 Langdon/Edmore/Munich (8-0). I will take Langdon to win. I think this one has the potential to be interesting if Kindred comes out and plays the best game of their season it may not be as lopsided as some people think.
G8: R2 #3 Harvey-Wells County (4-4) @ R1 #2 Ellendale/Edgeley-Kulm (7-1)

Absolutely agree with you here. Minot Ryan might hang with Beulah for the first qtr. Beulahs coaching and physical run game will be too much though. IMO an east team will not go into a game against Beulah afraid and that just might be the difference in giving them a game.
ndfootball4444
NDPreps Starter

Postby bball4 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:04 pm

ndfootball4444 wrote:
bball4 wrote:
Rivershark wrote:
Barfly wrote:

Hillsboro, EEK

Speaking of rematch. What happened with HCV winning soo big on EEK earlier this year?? I really thought EEK was the team to beat in A Football. Did they have an off night or is HVC that good, i thought it would be a lot closer game going either atleast? It seams reclassification worked out for a few teams dropping down this year in 1A. Whatever its about numbers i get it.

HCV is good. It was 28-14 at the half. I thought there were a couple injuries for EEK in that game? not sure though.

Reminds me of their loss to Larimore last year.
bball4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:54 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Take the raw numbers not the adjusted numbers...a student is a student (not a percentage)

Read the post above please - I just did that.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby lovwatchingsports » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:14 am

I think it says that HCV is one of the bigger schools in class A but not the biggest and they have a good group of athletes coming through the system right now. But yes numbers do help. take a school 150 vs 100 vs 50 you can get more athletes and better athletes the more kids you have. Larger schools should have an advantage but it always doesn't work that way.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby lovwatchingsports » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:03 pm

G1: R2 #4 Westhope-Newburg-Glenburn (5-3) @ R1 #1 (1) Hillsboro-Central Valley (8-0) Hillsboro
G2: R1 #3 Oak Grove (6-2) @ R2 #2 Carrington (7-1) Oak Grove

G3: R3 #4 Stanley (4-4) @ R4 #1 (4) Dickinson Trinity (6-1) Dickinson Trinity
G4: R4 #3 Killdeer (6-2) @ R3 #2 Des Lacs-Burlington (7-1) DLB

G5: R4 #4 Hazen (4-4) @ R3 #1 (3) Velva/Sawyer (8-0) Velva
G6: R3 #3 Bishop Ryan (6-2) @ R4 #2 (RV) Beulah (7-1) Bishop Ryan - Upset of the week

G7: R1 #4 Kindred (4-4) @ R2 #1 (2) Langdon/Edmore/Munich (8-0) Langdon
G8: R2 #3 Harvey-Wells County (4-4) @ R1 #2 (5) Ellendale/Edgeley-Kulm (7-1) EEK
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby JMHS » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:20 pm

G1: R2 #4 Westhope-Newburg-Glenburn (5-3) @ R1 #1 (1) Hillsboro-Central Valley (8-0)
G2: R1 #3 Oak Grove (6-2) @ R2 #2 Carrington (7-1)

G3: R3 #4 Stanley (4-4) @ R4 #1 (4) Dickinson Trinity (6-1)
G4: R4 #3 Killdeer (6-2) @ R3 #2 Des Lacs-Burlington (7-1)

G5: R4 #4 Hazen (4-4) @ R3 #1 (3) Velva/Sawyer (8-0)
G6: R3 #3 Bishop Ryan (6-2) @ R4 #2 Beulah (7-1)

G7: R1 #4 Kindred (4-4) @ R2 #1 (2) Langdon/Edmore/Munich (8-0)
G8: R2 #3 Harvey-Wells County (4-4) @ R1 #2 (5) Ellendale/Edgeley-Kulm (7-1)
JMHS
NDPreps Starter

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:54 pm

The teams in region 1 and 2 very little head to head competition with only Carrington and Kindred playing each other that have made the playoffs. So its hard to determine who is the better of teams with nothing to compare to with common opponents. Even when teams played each other in cross region games the scores were so lopsided very little could be said how each region compares. I think both regions have very good one and two teams in each region. In region 2 Langdon has wide open offense in that passing sets up their run game which can be very good with several talented backs. Carrington is more traditional in that they want to run it down your throats and will pass if opportunity exists. Last year EEk was similar to this and I don't know much HcV other than very good team. My guess is the winners will be the teams with best defenses so liked to hear what other people think who will make run in the playoffs.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sorenson23 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:45 pm

Hillsboro-CV by 24
Carrington by 12
Dickinson Trinity by 30
Killdeer by 8
Velva-Sawyer by 20
Beulah by 12
Langdon-Edmore-Munich by 30
Ellendale-Edgeley-Kulm by 16
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby tscheig » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:58 am

G1: R2 #4 Westhope-Newburg-Glenburn (5-3) @ R1 #1 Hillsboro-Central Valley (8-0)
HCV 42-20
G2: R1 #3 Oak Grove (6-2) @ R2 #2 Carrington (7-1)
OG 26-20

G3: R3 #4 Stanley (4-4) @ R4 #1 Dickinson Trinity (6-1)
DT 28-14
G4: R4 #3 Killdeer (6-2) @ R3 #2 Des Lacs-Burlington (7-1)
DLB 18-14

G5: R4 #4 Hazen (4-4) @ R3 #1 Velva/Sawyer (8-0)
Velva 50-0
G6: R3 #3 Bishop Ryan (6-2) @ R4 #2 Beulah (7-1)
BR 34-30

G7: R1 #4 Kindred (4-4) @ R2 #1 Langdon/Edmore/Munich (8-0)
LEM 42-14
G8: R2 #3 Harvey-Wells County (4-4) @ R1 #2 Ellendale/Edgeley-Kulm (7-1)
EEK 34-6
tscheig
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndfootball4444 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:37 pm

Quarter Finals Round:

Carrington @ (W)HCV- Carrington hangs with them the first half. HCV keeps rolling though. (35-12)

Des Lacs @ (W)DICKINSON TRINITY- Des Lacs gives them a good but comes up short. Trinity passes and runs well. (28-13)

(W)BEULAH @ Velva- If Velva can play physical and pass the ball well with their run game, they can keep it close. Can they shut down Beulahs punishing run game is the question. Hang with them one quarter at a time they have a shot IMO. (35-18)

EEK @ (W)LANGDON- Game of the week. Could go either way. Langdon gets them in a close one. (21-18)
ndfootball4444
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:16 pm

G1: R2 #2 Carrington @ R1 #1 (1) Hillsboro-Central Valley
Carrington had close games vs. Kindred & OG; H-CV had relative ease vs. each of those teams: HCV 36-14

G2: R3 #2 Des Lacs-Burlington @ R4 #1 (4) Dickinson Trinity
Trinity will get a good game from DLB, however Trinity will pull away late: DT 27-14

G3: R4 #2 (RV) Beulah @ R3 #1 (3) Velva/Sawyer
West Game of the Week; Beulah likes to run...I think Velva slows the run down: V/S 24-22

G4: R1 #2 (5) Ellendale/Edgeley-Kulm @ R2 #1 (2) Langdon/Edmore/Munich
East Game of the Week; Cold weather and two different styles of offense (EEK - run; L/E/M - pass): L/E/M 34-28
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby defensewinsgames » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:37 pm

G1: R2 #2 Carrington @ R1 #1 (1) Hillsboro-Central Valley
Hillsboro has the guys to slow down Carrington's run game and I don't think they have enough passing game to hurt HCV. I will take HCV 35 to 12 but it could get worse.

G2: R3 #2 Des Lacs-Burlington @ R4 #1 (4) Dickinson Trinity
I will take Dickinson Trinity in a close one. I think Des Lacs will hang around until late 28 to 14 or there abouts.

G3: R4 #2 (RV) Beulah @ R3 #1 (3) Velva/Sawyer
I think that Beulah comes out and establishes the run in a dominant way and gets back to being talked about as one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the state. Beulah 28 to 21.

G4: R1 #2 (5) Ellendale/Edgeley-Kulm @ R2 #1 (2) Langdon/Edmore/Munich
Unless Grueneich has another patented can't believe I just saw that happen day, I think Langdon is just too good of team for EEK. I said it earlier (when they played HCV) but I don't think EEK has much outside of Grueneich I would be afraid of if I was Langdon. Langdon 35 to 14.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sorenson23 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:16 am

Hillsboro-CV 38-14
Dickinson Trinity 30-7
Velva-Sawyer 26-24
Langdon-Edmore-Munich 34-20
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby owensii » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:00 am

Hillsboro-CV 30-8
Dickinson Trinity 24-12
Beulah 16-8
EEK 32-24 comes down to the flip and the wind.
owensii
NDPreps Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to A