The teams in Class A

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby Farmerkev » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:41 pm

bball4 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
bball4 wrote:
Rivershark wrote:
Barfly wrote:
Rivershark wrote:I don't see any team from the West making it to the Championship game. The East will continue their streak.

Who do you see making the semifinals?

Hillsboro, Oak Groove, Trinity, Des Lacs, Velva, Beulah, Langdon, EEK

Hillsboro, Trinity, Beulah, EEK

Hillsboro, EEK

Hillsboro - reclassification worked out in their favor this year.

Couldn't agree more with that working in their favor. Stating the obvious...I watch teams like Oak Grove and Enderlin/MV dress 20 kids for a game & most kids play both ways. Tough to compete with a team that dresses double that. I am sure some Hillsboro kids play both ways but I would guess it's quite a few less than the others.

Would really like to see a rematch of EEK/Hillsboro.

I haven't seen any of the 3 teams play. I see that HCV has 44 players on their roster with 10 of them being freshman. I also see that Oak Grove and EMV both have 25 players on their roster with 2 freshman each. My question would be: How many freshman, if any, play major minutes for HCV? In my experience you don't see a lot of freshman contributing for a playoff football team. I could be way off on this, just an observation.

Good observation because that does make a difference. No idea how much the freshman play. Also not sure if HCV has any injuries.
Bismarck St. Mary’s lists 37 on their roster 10-12... I would say that does compare to HCV 34 in 10-12. just some food for thought. I don’t know their enrollment so maybe that is a better guage. NDHSAA has their rules for a reason I guess and whether or not I think they should be in A is irrelevant :D
I was told that when oak grove played EMV, one team dressed 20 & the other dressed 21. By this time of the year, there always seems to be some crutches on the side lines for everyone. Even some inexperienced freshman can make a difference IMO.
Agreed @defensewinsgames, they are good. Remove the freshman and they are still good. I just think when it comes down to the 4th quarter, it matters. First a team needs to compete with them for the first 3 :D
Farmerkev
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bball4 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:58 pm

farmerKev was just responding to the earlier part of the thread. That’s quite a number difference. It will help them out as they advance. I am not a fan from either town and admittedly was pulling for carrington because I think they do more with less. Just my opinion. BUT That’s not a requirement of being a champion.
HCV & DT should be a good one.
Congrats to carrington on a good season. They have some talent coming back & will be tough again.
bball4
NDPreps Starter

Postby GoTheDistance » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:19 pm

jimor wrote:Langdon 35- EEK 14
Langdon 200+ rushing

Langdon had a tough ground game second half. QB had to have some good rushing yards. Their line is big and their defense is strong. They earned it.
EEK had some opportunities. It was frigid. A 60mph wind wouldn’t have made any difference IMO.
I am going to stick to th 24 hour rule and not give my full opinion about some questionable calls. Might not have made a difference :roll: and they happen in all games (some more than others).
GoTheDistance
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Barfly » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:32 pm

Farmerkev wrote:If any of you were playing attention...the two pages on the thread were full of discussion about number of players!!! It was for information!!! You all are crazy or have no idea who I am if you think that was some sort of excuse for Carrington!! Hillsboro and Carrington played a great physical game it was fun to watch and Hillsboro deserved to win with an awesome ground attack!! Let's not be so sensitive.....alright snowflakes!

If you found my comment to be abrasive, I apologize for misinterpreting the intent of your post. However, since you played the sensitivity card, 11 exclamation points ? Come on, a simple explanation of the point of your post would have sufficed.
Barfly
NDPreps Starter

Postby jimor » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:25 pm

GoTheDistance wrote:
jimor wrote:Langdon 35- EEK 14
Langdon 200+ rushing

Langdon had a tough ground game second half. QB had to have some good rushing yards. Their line is big and their defense is strong. They earned it.
EEK had some opportunities. It was frigid. A 60mph wind wouldn’t have made any difference IMO.
I am going to stick to th 24 hour rule and not give my full opinion about some questionable calls. Might not have made a difference :roll: and they happen in all games (some more than others).

I can't argue with you on the questionable calls, there seemed to be a lot of "equalizing" calls, or at least attempted ones. :?
jimor
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:07 am

Not sure why it seems that HCV is the target of the numbers game argument considering they're are 10 out of 32 other A schools that are larger or virtually the same in enrollment (regardless if you figure in the free and reduced factor or not) - they have 44-46 kids out grades 9-12. Great for them - great for the coaches for getting kids to go and and keeping kids out - that's a key in building a program. Considering they made the final 4 in AA last year, losing to state champion St. Mary's, they obviously have a program that's thriving right now. They won the state B in bball last year - obviously have some talented skill kids around. Next year, when the entire line graduates, it will likely be more difficult.

Both games this weekend should be barn burners - gotta give the advantage to the home teams

LAE 30 - Velva 22
HCV 20 - Dickinson Trinity 14
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby EEDA » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:16 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:Not sure why it seems that HCV is the target of the numbers game argument considering they're are 10 out of 32 other A schools that are larger or virtually the same in enrollment (regardless if you figure in the free and reduced factor or not) - they have 44-46 kids out grades 9-12. Great for them - great for the coaches for getting kids to go and and keeping kids out - that's a key in building a program. Considering they made the final 4 in AA last year, losing to state champion St. Mary's, they obviously have a program that's thriving right now. They won the state B in bball last year - obviously have some talented skill kids around. Next year, when the entire line graduates, it will likely be more difficult.

Both games this weekend should be barn burners - gotta give the advantage to the home teams

LAE 30 - Velva 22

The Langdon - Velva game is @ Velva.
EEDA
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:18 am

EEDA wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:Not sure why it seems that HCV is the target of the numbers game argument considering they're are 10 out of 32 other A schools that are larger or virtually the same in enrollment (regardless if you figure in the free and reduced factor or not) - they have 44-46 kids out grades 9-12. Great for them - great for the coaches for getting kids to go and and keeping kids out - that's a key in building a program. Considering they made the final 4 in AA last year, losing to state champion St. Mary's, they obviously have a program that's thriving right now. They won the state B in bball last year - obviously have some talented skill kids around. Next year, when the entire line graduates, it will likely be more difficult.

LAE 30 - Velva 22

The Langdon - Velva game is @ Velva.

It is? Didn't know that - I'll still stick with LAE - but probably flip a coin on that one (same could probably be said for the HCV - Dickinson Trinity game)
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby EEDA » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:19 am

LAE 30 - Velva 14

HCV 36– Trinity 14
EEDA
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:12 pm

I will be interested to see how the East vs. West matchups play out this week. This is always the hardest thing to project in my opinion as there isn't much for direct comparisons against similar opponents. I will go based off of what I believe I know about the 4 teams but again with East vs. West but I think anything can happen this week. I believe Hillsboro-CV will win by 18 points or so (final score 31 to 13 or there abouts). HCV has a balanced offense but have been controlling with the run game so haven't had to pass as much as they are capable of. The HCV line (especially at D-end) will set the tone for this game IMO, if they can establish contain and play like they have much of the season I think HCV rolls but it wouldn't surprise me if Trinity can get up early to see HCV be in for a tough game (as they haven't played from behind much all season). I also think that Langdon wins by 14 to 16 (final score 30 to 16). I think the one question on Langdon this year was how does the line play when it really needs to play well. Last week they dominated the line of scrimmage and rushed for 200+ against the defending state champs and the best running back in the state. If Velva jumps on them early I think it will be a dog fight but Langdon is at their best with the ball in their hands up by a score or two. Expect something crazy to happen (as the 4 ranked teams ended up here so we are due for something) but I think the two best teams in the state win this week and we have a thrilling matchup in the Dakota Bowl.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Thebohemian » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:45 pm

This is to say the least a very exciting week in class A football, very little history between these 4 teams this year, all have solid defense and athletic kids. Since the loss to Bowman county the 1st game of the season (don't know what happened) the Titans have given up a safety and 1 touchdown (less than 2 minutes left in last weeks 47-6 playoff win. This includes 2 playoff games and a solid Beulah team. Through the last 8 games they have scored 311 and given up 8 for an average of 39 points per game and 1 for the opponent. Most of their points came in the 1st half when their varsity was in. Their defense has scored 36 points, an average of 4.5 per game. They are playing tough on both ends of the ball and face a very tough HCV team on the road. This has the makings of an excellent football game. Weather doesn't look good, could make it low scoring. Velva and Langdon should be an excellent matchup as well. Holding my predictions until later in the week!
Thebohemian
NDPreps Rookie

Postby B-oldtimer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:20 am

I have been looking at the weather reports for this weekend and it appears these games will be played in poorer weather conditions. There is chance of snow or rain during the games with colder temperatures could have effect on the games. I wonder if there is any limits on poor weather before these games would be moved to indoor facility. If we had weather like today with 30 mile hour winds and gusts up to 40 with snow the out come could be dictated by weather. I know the what the answer will be both teams will have to play in weather conditions.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Thebohemian » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:14 pm

Trinty 26-13
Langdon 18-12
I think weather will keep scores low.
Thebohemian
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Rivershark » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:22 pm

If the weather was nice, I would definitely pick Langdon over Velva by several touchdowns. However, with the weather predictions for this weekend I'm picking Velva over Langdon by 10. Coach Sandy's team will be prepared.

Worst game due to weather was in 1986. Velva versus Cavalier. Game got postponed a week due to a blizzard and then moved to UND's outdoor turf, which was basically a sheet of ice. Cavalier won 12-7. Interesting fact: some of the Cavalier players showed up to play in turf shoes. Yes, back in the 80's they had turf shoes.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:32 pm

Hillsboro-CV 32-27
Langdon/E/M 28-24
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sorenson23 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:26 pm

Hillsboro-CV 34-22
Velva-Sawyer 28-20
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby tscheig » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:59 pm

I don't know much at all about the Eastern teams. Did watch the EEK vs HCV. HCV looked really good.
Langdon has been chomping at the bit for this opportunity. I just can't pick against a Larry Sandy coached team. Their defense is intense. Couple of good lineman and their back 7 is relentless. They have a stable of RB's and capable WR's and TE.
Velva 14-12
DT 27-20 OT. DT defense has been playing lights out

Good luck to the four teams and hope Mother Nature takes a break on Saturday.
tscheig
NDPreps Rookie

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:02 pm

I wonder about the weather in previous post if they would consider moving the games to indoor facility. The reason is I was wondering that we now have more options of that in the past. You have Fargo dome, Alerus in Grand Forks and now Unds sports acceleration building also I believe could be used because it has full football field and I believe they can seat up to 5000 people if need be. Also it would probably not be booked on Saturday with college teams playing. Its just a thought and would not add much driving time Dickinson and Hillsboro would add only 35 miles to their trip, Langdon would have about same distance as if they went to Velva only one it would add driving to is Velva. It would be on neutral field and a lot better conditions to play the game and watch the game than what is forecast now for the games. Its just a thought but I doubt the Activities association has given little thought to something like this. The thing I look at there's chance of rain to turning to snow where we have possibility of kids playing in conditions where they get soaked and then playing wet with freezing temperatures with fairly strong winds in freezing temperatures. Were going to have kids fighting freezing and possible frost bite while playing these games. In north Dakota I think this is something they should now have planned into there playoff system especially now when the playoffs have extended out into November because in North Dakota we can experience real winter like conditions especially for the northern 1/3 of the state. I have just brought this up for discussion and wonder what other people think.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Dualsportfan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:04 pm

It sure sounds like the weather may slow the offenses down a bit...

Langdon 24 Velva 8

HCV 28 Trinity 14
Dualsportfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDPREP » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:04 am

B-oldtimer wrote:I wonder about the weather in previous post if they would consider moving the games to indoor facility. The reason is I was wondering that we now have more options of that in the past. You have Fargo dome, Alerus in Grand Forks and now Unds sports acceleration building also I believe could be used because it has full football field and I believe they can seat up to 5000 people if need be. Also it would probably not be booked on Saturday with college teams playing. Its just a thought and would not add much driving time Dickinson and Hillsboro would add only 35 miles to their trip, Langdon would have about same distance as if they went to Velva only one it would add driving to is Velva. It would be on neutral field and a lot better conditions to play the game and watch the game than what is forecast now for the games. Its just a thought but I doubt the Activities association has given little thought to something like this. The thing I look at there's chance of rain to turning to snow where we have possibility of kids playing in conditions where they get soaked and then playing wet with freezing temperatures with fairly strong winds in freezing temperatures. Were going to have kids fighting freezing and possible frost bite while playing these games. In north Dakota I think this is something they should now have planned into there playoff system especially now when the playoffs have extended out into November because in North Dakota we can experience real winter like conditions especially for the northern 1/3 of the state. I have just brought this up for discussion and wonder what other people think.

UND's indoor practice facility isn't a full football field the back corners of the endzone are cut off so you actually can't play a game on it. Not sure if that was intentional so they'd never have to worry about renting it out?

It is one of the things you kinda of have to hope for if you are a team who likes to really throw it around is for the weather not to turn too cold on you before you can make it to the dome in ND HS playoffs.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:14 am

If Langdon makes it to the Dome, I don't know how you couldn't pick them to win it all. I've seen them play a couple times this year and not only can no one guard them against the pass, they have a pretty good running game and great defense. BUT...they gotta make it through this weekend first. :shock:

I'm not gonna make any picks for this weekend as I have NO CLUE what the West has. I've seen everyone in the East play plenty, but have not seen a West team play. I learned my lesson a few years ago, when the East was so strong, nobody in the West could possibly compete and Killdeer came in and mopped the floor with the East.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:36 am

It appears both games for semifinals will be played in adverse weather come Saturday. I was just looking at velva forecast they have winter weather advisory starting tomorrow going through Saturday with snow accumulations of up to six inches of snow. They talk of tough traveling conditions for Saturday due reduced visibilities so I guess there will be some wind with this snow. Hillsboro has similar forecast but amount of snow will depend on how these storm track in next few days but definitely to get fair snow accumulations. I think the games may come down to how each these teams handle the weather and who makes fewest mistakes in handling the football. My guess these games could be decided on lucky bounce or slip of player allowing for big play not who's got the most talent. Games like this takes away speed and strength advantages and it goes to kids who have most concentration being in correct position, best balance, and ability to hang on to the ball.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby madseason » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:05 am

NodakQ2 wrote:If Langdon makes it to the Dome, I don't know how you couldn't pick them to win it all. I've seen them play a couple times this year and not only can no one guard them against the pass, they have a pretty good running game and great defense. BUT...they gotta make it through this weekend first. :shock:

I'm not gonna make any picks for this weekend as I have NO CLUE what the West has. I've seen everyone in the East play plenty, but have not seen a West team play. I learned my lesson a few years ago, when the East was so strong, nobody in the West could possibly compete and Killdeer came in and mopped the floor with the East.
I don't know how long ago you are talking about? But Killdeer was beat in Dakota bowl 14 and 15 by PRFL.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:36 am

madseason wrote:
NodakQ2 wrote:If Langdon makes it to the Dome, I don't know how you couldn't pick them to win it all. I've seen them play a couple times this year and not only can no one guard them against the pass, they have a pretty good running game and great defense. BUT...they gotta make it through this weekend first. :shock:

I don't know how long ago you are talking about? But Killdeer was beat in Dakota bowl 14 and 15 by PRFL.

It was prior to that in I believe a quarter/semi final situation. I think Velva ended up winning it all that year. Could've been several years ago actually...Time flies...Or who knows, maybe I'm thinking of Velva! :lol:
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Rivershark » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:11 am

B-oldtimer wrote:It appears both games for semifinals will be played in adverse weather come Saturday. I was just looking at velva forecast they have winter weather advisory starting tomorrow going through Saturday with snow accumulations of up to six inches of snow. They talk of tough traveling conditions for Saturday due reduced visibilities so I guess there will be some wind with this snow. Hillsboro has similar forecast but amount of snow will depend on how these storm track in next few days but definitely to get fair snow accumulations. I think the games may come down to how each these teams handle the weather and who makes fewest mistakes in handling the football. My guess these games could be decided on lucky bounce or slip of player allowing for big play not who's got the most talent. Games like this takes away speed and strength advantages and it goes to kids who have most concentration being in correct position, best balance, and ability to hang on to the ball.

Isn't it funny how Minnesota teams are playing their semi-final games in a North Dakota dome?
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to A