QRF Problems

The teams in Class A

QRF Problems

Postby bequickdonthurry » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:29 pm

The QRF rankings from Oct 9 on the NDHSAA web site have HCV 1, Trinity 2, and Velva and Langdon tied for 3rd. Trinity is 5-1, the rest are 7-0. All have a better than average chance of winning this week. If the final ratings of the region leaders stays the same and Trinity gets a 2 seed overall, we're going to have issues when you have 3 unbeatens.

The fault appears to be the averaging, giving Trinity an advantage because they played 1 less game.

Don't think that is right at all. And I have nothing against Trinity.
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Re: QRF Problems

Postby Flip » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:28 am

I think if all 3 win DT ends up 4. Those 3 teams are essentially tied right now and DT has the easiest game next week, which will hurt them.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bequickdonthurry » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:39 am

I wouldn't count on that Flip. DT plays one less game, giving them a mathematical advantage that is built into the formula. IMNHO, that is wrong.
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:14 am

bequickdonthurry wrote:I wouldn't count on that Flip. DT plays one less game, giving them a mathematical advantage that is built into the formula. IMNHO, that is wrong.

explain
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:40 am

Yes, they have a slight advantage for only having 6 games (right now...soon to be 7) to divide from...but Flip is right as well.

Hillsboro-CV's could increase well as they face OG (6 wins)
Velva/Sawyer faces Bishop Ryan (6 wins)
Langdon faces Park River (3 wins)
Dickinson Trinity faces Garrison-Max (1 win)

Even though DT will have the advantage of 7 games divide into their total instead of 8...they have a less likely chance to raise their QRF rating that much...whereas the other teams can shift up drastically in comparison; ALL TEAMS will also gain the advantage of wins by teams that they beat during the season...but all 4 teams above have beat at least 1 quality team within their region...which will help their QRF as well.

Once again...no matter the system used to determine rankings...you aren't going to please everyone. Games are still played on the field...rankings go out the window once the game begins!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:48 am

http://www.ndhsaanow.com/brackets/footb ... e-playoffs

Looks like Flip and I were right..DT having 1 less game didn't matter 1 bit
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:03 pm

How was the tiebreaker determined between HCV and VS?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby EEDA » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:09 pm

Flip wrote:How was the tiebreaker determined between HCV and VS?

I believe the tiebreaker is based upon which team’s region has the highest average QRF.
EEDA
NDPreps Starter

Postby madseason » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:41 pm

A big problem with QRF IMO is the east and west don't play, Or very few games. I'd say just go back to region to region but east vs west and switch each year?
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:28 pm

madseason wrote:A big problem with QRF IMO is the east and west don't play, Or very few games. I'd say just go back to region to region but east vs west and switch each year?

1) QRF has very little to with the matchups.
2) how is random better than QRF?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby EEDA » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:28 pm

The top 8 teams, according to the QRF ratings, all advanced to the quarterfinals. This new system may not be perfect, but it seems to be dead on accurate so far. That being said, there could be some upsets next week. Langdon vs. EEK and Velva vs. Beulah should both be great games !
EEDA
NDPreps Starter

Postby B-oldtimer » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:47 pm

Here in the east both quarter final games could be very good games. Hillsboro vs Carrington I think will be much more competitive game than people think. Also the Langdon vs EEk game will put two teams that are opposite in that one is ground game team and other likes to play wide open style of game. A big thing there is what kind of weather will the teams be playing. Langdon basically played two quarters offense this past weekend because of the wind which both teams had to play in but sure effected there offense. Hard to have passing game with winds gusting into high 30's. The one thing is Langdon does have good defense this year there much better than last year there just more physical and bigger than last year. The thing is most of the state does not get to see much of region 2 teams because most of them to far from major towns of Grand Forks, Fargo, Minot, and Bismarck for people to have watched them. Hillsboro, Beulah, VElva, Des Lac Burlington, and Dickinson Trinity are closer to press get cover more than region 2 teams. Also EEk being last year state champion gets more coverage. I think these east team quarter final games are going to be real competitive with Carrington and Langdon showing they are quality teams. Carrington is very good team and there loss to Langdon is there only blemish this year but that score does not reflect on how they are as a team. Langdon is very unique team in high school football do not see team like this very often where they are so pass led team but they can run the football if they have too. With there passing they spread out defenses to where they like to get matchups they like to take advantage of the talent they have. They can score quickly and often but last year EEk with there defense and ball control offence was able to control the game. So it will be fun to see this year if this will be result or Langdon being year older and bigger this year can reverse last years game.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to A