HCV @ EEK

The teams in Class A

HCV @ EEK

Postby Skolvikings » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:48 am

Who Wins and what are the keys of the game for the winning team?
Skolvikings
NDPreps Rookie

Re: HCV @ EEK

Postby steel » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:07 pm

They both are power running teams. I believe HCV runs the option a little more. Gruneich is obviously a key to stop. Taking care of the football is a must for both teams. I am sure HCV will try to make somebody else beat them. If I was EEK I would run some bootlegs, reverses any misdirection.
steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:12 am

I will take HCV by a couple of scores (12 to 16 points). EEK will give them all they can handle but when it comes down to it, HCV has two defensive ends who should be able to set the edge and turn pitches back into their linebackers. HCV also has a more well rounded offense. If EEK can find someone to help out on offense all night long (not just on a few plays) besides Grueneich they may get a win. I'm convinced that HCV is the best team in the state. They are well rounded and don't have obvious glaring weaknesses. It is also death by a thousand cuts on offense with too many players to try and key in on.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby And1 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:46 am

defensewinsgames wrote:I will take HCV by a couple of scores (12 to 16 points). EEK will give them all they can handle but when it comes down to it, HCV has two defensive ends who should be able to set the edge and turn pitches back into their linebackers. HCV also has a more well rounded offense. If EEK can find someone to help out on offense all night long (not just on a few plays) besides Grueneich they may get a win. I'm convinced that HCV is the best team in the state. They are well rounded and don't have obvious glaring weaknesses. It is also death by a thousand cuts on offense with too many players to try and key in on.

I believe EEK is more balance than people understand. On Friday vs. Northern Cass i believe they scored with 6 different players.
And1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:46 am

I am not disputing they have some balance. What I am getting at is the difference between this years Northern Cass and Hillsboro-CV is pretty significant. Being able to run and pass vs. HCV and almost anyone else in the state (except maybe Langdon, Beulah, and EEK) is significantly different. If EEK has some other kids step up they should play with HCV but they have not seen another team this year that is even close to as good as HCV.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby tellithowitis » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:44 pm

HCV up 42-14 with 3:14 left in the 3rd
tellithowitis
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Skolvikings » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:32 pm

Final HCV 48 - EEK 14.. HCV has to be the team to beat now.
Skolvikings
NDPreps Rookie

Postby madseason » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:40 pm

Skolvikings wrote:Final HCV 48 - EEK 14.. HCV has to be the team to beat now.
I would pick Langdon over HCV. If they meet it will be a great game.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:18 pm

madseason wrote:
Skolvikings wrote:Final HCV 48 - EEK 14.. HCV has to be the team to beat now.
I would pick Langdon over HCV. If they meet it will be a great game.

Best 2 teams in A, pretty easily too IMO. Contrasting styles also. Hard to argue with HCV after they just stroked EEK on their home field. HCV has played a tougher schedule as well IMO. Should meet in the bowl! HCV 36 - LE 30.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Rivershark » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:56 am

Why did HCV move down a class from AA to A?
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDPREP » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:27 am

Because they shrunk AA to 10 teams. HCV has have 93 boys 7-10 and the smallest school in AA in central cass has 118. I would bet in 2 years they expand AA again.

https://ndhsaa.com/files/2017_18_Sports ... _FINAL.pdf

part of the problem I have with what they did was asking a team with 118 kids (Central Cass) to compete year in and year out with a school who has 320 (Jamestown). But that is for another thread.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wildcatfan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:19 am

I think it is funny that people say that HCV has a tougher schedule than EEK???? They play exactly the same teams (Region 1 teams) except for the first game of the year in which HCV played Park River who is 3 and 4, and EEK played Groton SD who is 4 and 3. HCV has played all the easier teams in the region early and had to play EEK this past week and Oak Grove this week, who I believe are the next two best teams in the region.

Now with that being said, I do believe that HCV is the better team. They just have more athletes and are stronger up front.
wildcatfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:27 am

wildcatfan wrote:I think it is funny that people say that HCV has a tougher schedule than EEK???? They play exactly the same teams (Region 1 teams) except for the first game of the year in which HCV played Park River who is 3 and 4, and EEK played Groton SD who is 4 and 3. HCV has played all the easier teams in the region early and had to play EEK this past week and Oak Grove this week, who I believe are the next two best teams in the region.

Now with that being said, I do believe that HCV is the better team. They just have more athletes and are stronger up front.

EEK had the 2 toughest opponents (Oak Grove & HCV) at HOME AND had their non-conference game at HOME while HCV had to travel 3 hours to EEK AND play their non-conference AWAY. Hence - tougher schedule. But as an aside- when I said up above that HCV had a tougher schedule I was referring to Landgon, not EEK.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby GoTheDistance » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:12 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:
wildcatfan wrote:I think it is funny that people say that HCV has a tougher schedule than EEK???? They play exactly the same teams (Region 1 teams) except for the first game of the year in which HCV played Park River who is 3 and 4, and EEK played Groton SD who is 4 and 3. HCV has played all the easier teams in the region early and had to play EEK this past week and Oak Grove this week, who I believe are the next two best teams in the region.

EEK had the 2 toughest opponents (Oak Grove & HCV) at HOME AND had their non-conference game at HOME while HCV had to travel 3 hours to EEK AND play their non-conference AWAY. Hence - tougher schedule. But as an aside- when I said up above that HCV had a tougher schedule I was referring to Landgon, not EEK.

If we are talking about traveling...I guess I could also say that even when EEK is "at home", some of those kids are still traveling at least 45 miles one way (kulm to Ellendale is a little jog)...as well as every day for practice. Not one kid actually lives in Monango.
It was a completely different team last year, but they aren't strangers to hitting the road. They traveled to Larimore, Langdon and then Fargo. Some teams play better on the road.

No disputing the athletes on HCV and their effective line. Very tough & fundamentally sound. I just don't think traveling has much to do with it. Just my opinion.
GoTheDistance
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:33 am

GoTheDistance wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

If we are talking about traveling...I guess I could also say that even when EEK is "at home", some of those kids are still traveling at least 45 miles one way (kulm to Ellendale is a little jog)...as well as every day for practice. Not one kid actually lives in Monango.
It was a completely different team last year, but they aren't strangers to hitting the road. They traveled to Larimore, Langdon and then Fargo. Some teams play better on the road.

No disputing the athletes on HCV and their effective line. Very tough & fundamentally sound. I just don't think traveling has much to do with it. Just my opinion.

You're correct - the better team typically wins, regardless of the venue. That being said, I'd much prefer to get to go home after school, eat Mom's homecoooking and come out to the school to change at about 5:45 instead of hopping a bus at 2:00, getting my sack lunch, and hopping OFF a bus at 5:30 to shake out the road legs.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby wildcatfan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:58 am

OK I understand your thinking on easier schedule now, like someone said before I also think the better team usually wins and field advantage doesn't matter all that much. I would guess that HCV would win 8-9 of 10 times wherever these two teams played.
wildcatfan
NDPreps Reserve

Return to A