Do Class AA teams struggle when they move down to A?

The teams in Class A

Do Class AA teams struggle when they move down to A?

Postby HammerTime » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:52 am

I only ask because I notice that Bishop Ryan was supposed to win their Region this year, right after moving down to A. But they have been on the wrong end of a blowout twice (vs. Velva and Rugby) and it took overtime to beat a now 1-4 team. But their not the only example that I can think of. Anyone remember the 2013 season? Rugby was favored to win their region. They not only failed to do that, they finished the regular season 4-4 with a loss to Hazen in the playoffs.

I realize that these are only two examples, and it really falls more on who's out there playing, but this almost seems like a trend.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Do Class AA teams struggle when they move down to A?

Postby Rivershark » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:10 pm

Obviously each year is different, but I honestly think what you are seeing is a mediocre AA team getting beat by really good A teams. The top teams in A this year could easily be the top teams in AA. Next year could be all different. I would sure be fun to see the A champs play the AA champs.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby madseason » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:16 pm

Rivershark wrote:Obviously each year is different, but I honestly think what you are seeing is a mediocre AA team getting beat by really good A teams. The top teams in A this year could easily be the top teams in AA. Next year could be all different. I would sure be fun to see the A champs play the AA champs.

I agree this year the top A teams would compete with the top AA teams. Last year too except the top 2 AA teams Bismarck St M and Shanley who would have done well at AAA. I think as a whole AA and A are about the same. I think this year a AA/A champ matchup would be a good game, last year probably wouldn't have been close.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RattlerWebWonk » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:55 pm

I think it has more to do with an ignorant voting body. It comes time for these dip$h!t$ to cast their first vote of the year and they assume that big city = more talent so they vote for that team. This often sets an unrealistically high expectation for the former AA team. It's time to end the class B inferiority complex. Anyone who thought Ryan was going to be the best team in Region 3 this year had their head firmly planted in their butt.
RattlerWebWonk
NDPreps Starter

Postby madseason » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:09 pm

RattlerWebWonk wrote:I think it has more to do with an ignorant voting body. It comes time for these dip$h!t$ to cast their first vote of the year and they assume that big city = more talent so they vote for that team. This often sets an unrealistically high expectation for the former AA team. It's time to end the class B inferiority complex. Anyone who thought Ryan was going to be the best team in Region 3 this year had their head firmly planted in their butt.
LOL! Yep I agree. :lol:
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RedDirtFan » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:03 pm

Can we just say it already?

Class A > Class AA

I don't remember the last time I thought the AA champion would beat the A champion in a head to head matchup.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDPREP » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:20 am

RedDirtFan wrote:Can we just say it already?

Class A > Class AA

I don't remember the last time I thought the AA champion would beat the A champion in a head to head matchup.

Last Year? St. Mary's was in a class of their own last year and would have crushed anyone from A.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:32 am

NDPREP wrote:
RedDirtFan wrote:Can we just say it already?

Class A > Class AA

Last Year? St. Mary's was in a class of their own last year and would have crushed anyone from A.

wow..quite the statement by RedDirtFan...I think there are several years where the AA would have beat the A champ...actually there was one year a couple back that I think Shanley would have competed just fine AAA.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Indy5 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:28 pm

I think your question is very subjective. It depends on the team. Some teams, like Hazen, move down when they could still be competitive, so they naturally do well in A. In Ryan's case, they've been a 9 man enrollment for awhile. They have just had enough talent and pride to stay up. Now, the school is shrinking like crazy, and the athletes just aren't there anymore. This was the right move for them. Anyone that actually understood the situation of the school wasn't shouting about them being region favorites. I understand why randoms would assume they'd be good due to the tradition, but it basically isn't even the same school anymore.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Return to A