Playoff System - Is this the best setup?

The teams in Class A

Playoff System - Is this the best setup?

Postby Rivershark » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:48 am

I'm not saying this is going to happen, but if PRFL and Carrington end up playing each other in the semi finals it would really be unfortunate that the #1 and #2 have to play in the semi finals. How has the playoffs evolved over the years and is this the best option? If I recall correctly, in the late 80's the state might have been split north/south versus east/west.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Playoff System - Is this the best setup?

Postby madseason » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:31 am

Rivershark wrote:I'm not saying this is going to happen, but if PRFL and Carrington end up playing each other in the semi finals it would really be unfortunate that the #1 and #2 have to play in the semi finals. How has the playoffs evolved over the years and is this the best option? If I recall correctly, in the late 80's the state might have been split north/south versus east/west.
I'm not sure that it is the best setup. Considering the west had won the championship like 20 yrs in a row before last year. People started to consider the west championship the real championship game. Don't know what I would think if there were a state seeding for the playoffs. Probably some pros and cons? I think the only way that would work would to have teams play at least one East/West game during the year to get a judge of cross state strength.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RedDirtFan » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:03 am

East and West split is just fine. The travel would be completely overwhelming, otherwise. This is a big state. As for PRFL/Carrington being the top 2 teams--people thought that about Hazen/Killdeer last year and the winner of that game ended up running into a better team. There are no guarantees, especially when you know so little about the other half of the state.

The only thing I don't like about the current setup with the re-alignment is the byes for the #1 seeds. I understand this at higher levels of football when teams play so many games that they can appreciate the off week, but these kids want to play as many games as possible. Two one seeds could end up hosting only 1 playoff game.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby lovwatchingsports » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:45 am

The question is, should 16 teams out of 24 make the playoffs instead of 12?
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:45 am

I'd rather go 8 than 16. I like the 12, though. More than 50% of teams should not make the playoffs and giving a bye to the #1 seeds gives more importance to earning that region title.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby madseason » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:00 am

RedDirtFan wrote:East and West split is just fine. The travel would be completely overwhelming, otherwise. This is a big state. As for PRFL/Carrington being the top 2 teams--people thought that about Hazen/Killdeer last year and the winner of that game ended up running into a better team. There are no guarantees, especially when you know so little about the other half of the state.

The only thing I don't like about the current setup with the re-alignment is the byes for the #1 seeds. I understand this at higher levels of football when teams play so many games that they can appreciate the off week, but these kids want to play as many games as possible. Two one seeds could end up hosting only 1 playoff game.
I agree. I think the kids want more games not less. And #4 seeds have upset #1 seeds (PRFL #4 over #1 Enderlin couple yrs back)
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby madseason » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:36 pm

But I agree with ndlions fan that over 50% shouldn't make the playoffs. Too many 9 man teams IMO. Cavalier, North Border and North Prarie should be 11 man and they would compete with the 11 man teams in region 2. Whatever happened to opting up for better competition? Cavalier comes to mind, last year they might have won state in A.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RedDirtFan » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:25 pm

I really would have liked to see those PRFL/Cavalier matchups.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:38 pm

It wouldn't have been a given, but I think it would have been an upset if Cavalier would not have won the State Class A the past two seasons.

The difference between the top teams in a class and the next larger class typically are not that great. If Park River was in Class AA this year, I would put them as the favorite in the East.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby madseason » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:03 pm

d_fense wrote:It wouldn't have been a given, but I think it would have been an upset if Cavalier would not have won the State Class A the past two seasons.

The difference between the top teams in a class and the next larger class typically are not that great. If Park River was in Class AA this year, I would put them as the favorite in the East.
Last year Shanley and Bis St marys were way above the rest. This year the AA is a lot closer. I think this PRFL team is a lot better than last year. Almost everyone is back. Last year imo was a Cinderella season, no one would have picked them to win state. Who knows this year could have another Cinderella? That is what is great about HS football.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:07 pm

d_fense wrote:It wouldn't have been a given, but I think it would have been an upset if Cavalier would not have won the State Class A the past two seasons.

Ahead of Wahpeton? Central Cass? SHANLEY?

I thought wacky weed was still illegal in NoDak????? :shock:
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby madseason » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:10 pm

No super Dominant team in 9 man this year. 9 man game at the dome will be a good one too IMO. Actually I don't think there will be a blowout in any of the bowl games. Going to be a good day to watch ND football :)
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby madseason » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:13 pm

Hinsa wrote:

LOL! yep I'd pay to see those games. And I'd pick PRFL. Well maybe not against Shanley.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby madseason » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:18 pm

madseason wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

LOL! yep I'd pay to see those games. And I'd pick PRFL. Well maybe not against Shanley.

Beulah is ranked #1 in AA Hazen ranked3rd I think in A Hazen lost by 16 and I heard it was closer than the score showed, so not much different this year between the AA/A maybe should of been one class? And I think Beulah was one of only 2 AA teams to beat A teams in the first round and I know there were quite a few games. And didn't a AA team get destroyed by a 9 man team? Bismarck st Marys and Shanley go to AAA the rest go A. IMO. AA/A/9man/6man?
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:10 pm

Hinsa wrote:

This years Park River team would with out question be favored against Wahpeton, Central Cass, and SHANLEY.

Last years Park River team wouldn't have beaten Wahpeton or Shanley, but probably would have beaten Central Cass.

Hinsa, have you seen Shanley play this year? They are nowhere near the team they have been the previous few years.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:27 pm

I haven't seen Shanley, but other than their first game they are pummeling people.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby madseason » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:33 pm

d_fense wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

This years Park River team would with out question be favored against Wahpeton, Central Cass, and SHANLEY.

Last years Park River team wouldn't have beaten Wahpeton or Shanley, but probably would have beaten Central Cass.

Hinsa, have you seen Shanley play this year? They are nowhere near the team they have been the previous few years.
Yea I think PRFL would have a good chance this year in AA. Last year Shanley and Bismarck St marys were a class above. Would have beat a lot of AAA teams.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby madseason » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:38 pm

Hinsa wrote:I haven't seen Shanley, but other than their first game they are pummeling people.

Milnor NS beat Lisbon (AA team) 40- 20 PRFL was ahead 48-8 at half over Milnor. Grafton AA @PRFL 42-8 PRFL at Halftime. Lisbon and Grafton? Is that who Shanley is pummeling?
Last edited by madseason on Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:40 pm

madseason wrote:
Hinsa wrote:I haven't seen Shanley, but other than their first game they are pummeling people.

Milnor NS beat Lisbon (AA team) 40- 20 PRFL was ahead 48-8 at half over Milnor. Grafton AA PRFL 42-8 Halftime.

Grafton, H-CV and Lisbon are pretty poor teams though. PR-FL would compete in AA but I still would take Shanley over them.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby madseason » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:44 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
madseason wrote:

Milnor NS beat Lisbon (AA team) 40- 20 PRFL was ahead 48-8 at half over Milnor. Grafton AA PRFL 42-8 Halftime.

Grafton, H-CV and Lisbon are pretty poor teams though. PR-FL would compete in AA but I still would take Shanley over them.
I would pay to watch that game.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RattlerWebWonk » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:40 pm

I'm not saying this is going to happen, but if PRFL and Carrington end up playing each other in the semi finals it would really be unfortunate that the #1 and #2 have to play in the semi finals. How has the playoffs evolved over the years and is this the best option? If I recall correctly, in the late 80's the state might have been split north/south versus east/west

Every time this topic comes up I want to punch someone in the face!! :evil:

There's not enough space for me to completely share my thoughts, nor do I have enough time to elaborate; but suffice to say that "fairness" is a gray area that can never be fixed by "changing the system". It will only change the argument as to why the system is unfair.

(sarcasm alert) Is it time to bring back the power polls so we can fairly cross-bracket the east and west teams?
RattlerWebWonk
NDPreps Starter

Postby RedDirtFan » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:54 pm

RattlerWebWonk wrote:
I'm not saying this is going to happen, but if PRFL and Carrington end up playing each other in the semi finals it would really be unfortunate that the #1 and #2 have to play in the semi finals. How has the playoffs evolved over the years and is this the best option? If I recall correctly, in the late 80's the state might have been split north/south versus east/west

Every time this topic comes up I want to punch someone in the face!! :evil:

There's not enough space for me to completely share my thoughts, nor do I have enough time to elaborate; but suffice to say that "fairness" is a gray area that can never be fixed by "changing the system". It will only change the argument as to why the system is unfair.

(sarcasm alert) Is it time to bring back the power polls so we can fairly cross-bracket the east and west teams?

I agree. There's no fix. It's fine the way it is. The best team wins--what more can we ask for?
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby madseason » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:12 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
madseason wrote:

Grafton almost beat Shanley and PRFL pummeled Grafton . PRFL would beat Shanley .
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Rivershark » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:14 am

Does anyone know why the semi final games are not held at neutral sites? It hasn't always been like this. Just wondering when it changed and why?
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RedDirtFan » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:31 am

Rivershark wrote:Does anyone know why the semi final games are not held at neutral sites? It hasn't always been like this. Just wondering when it changed and why?

No idea but this is much better than neutral sites, in my opinion.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to A