Is Rugby becoming steadily better?

The teams in Class A

Is Rugby becoming steadily better?

Postby HammerTime » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:54 pm

I was looking over the stats and pages for other sports as well, and I've noticed a trend. Rugby is one of the top teams in all of the fall sports right now, and this will likely carry over to winter and spring sports. They've clinched the number 1 spot in Region 3, they are nearly unstoppable in Cross Country, and they are second in their region in volleyball. I know this isn't the best place to post this, but I wanted to see what people thought of it. I know Rugby has stunk at most sports except track for years. Is a turnaround or a fluke? Are they top heavy and have a lot of seniors? Anyone have any other info?
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Is Rugby becoming steadily better?

Postby the old guy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:56 am

Rugby has had several years of quality athletes, with the likes of Heidlbaugh, Miller, Barnhardt, past years Lovcik and other role players. These kids are big, fast, strong, and talented. I do not know much about sports, but I would venture next year may see a decided drop off in Rugby athletics. In track and field, they have huge participation and their kids have bought into the coaching staffs excellent training methods.
the old guy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HammerTime » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:47 am

Ok. Thanks. Just curious.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigshowjay » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:22 am

Spent 15 years in Rugby and can tell you this the sports exposition there is due to 2 factors, one is as earlier mentioned the quality of athletes. Right now the Panthers are enjoying an influx of Smart, Dedicated and Coach-able athletes. These kids are receptive to the coaches and are positive and putting forth a 100% effort. Number 2 is the Coaching staff. There is some new blood there and it shows even with the old ways of some of the coaches that remain the new coaches are flexible and find the players strengths and build the team around that. The one that comes to mind is the Boys BB coach. Mr Santjer has done a fantastic job recognizing players strengths and weaknesses and motivating to get the best out of his players and the other sports see this and respond in turn. Not sure this is a 3-5 year thing but as for the next year Rugby will be tough in all sports.
bigshowjay
NDPreps Rookie

Postby classB4ever » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:18 am

I noticed this starting quite a few years ago. The parents of these athletes bought into the program when these kids were young. They have some very dedicated parents/community members who started these kids playing together early on. They have good numbers and good participation rates. They have some wonderful programs for their youth and personally believe Rugby will be tough for years to come.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby thundarsdaddy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:44 am

I coached Jr High B-Ball in Rugby for years. I also Coached the HS Baseball team the first 4 years, when the program started. Rugby cycles like most schools do, in sports success. Rugby seldom lacks athletes though, but most years Rugby lacks teamwork. As someone who has "been there", teamwork was my biggest focal point as a coach and as a parent. Track, being more or less an individual sport, flourishes at RHS with lots of good athletes. At the same time, in past years, these same athletes had problems when it came to "team" play, thus the Team-sports lacked any luster. Now, RHS has amazing teamwork both in FB and BBall, and now in VB too! Without assigning any blame as to what happened in the past, its really fun to see players, parents and coaches all take a TEAMWORK attitude!! This concept of teamwork, or lack thereof, isnt unique to Rugby though, getting student athletes these days to "play as a team" is difficult anywhere you go.
thundarsdaddy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sticks11 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:04 am

I think any town goes through this. Yeah you get ups and downs with talent and what not, but right now, they not only have the talent, but the kids have invested a lot into these programs. When you get kids and parents that are willing to buy in and really work, good things happen. On top of that, Rugby has good coaches/volunteers that are also willing to work and spend the time to get where they're at. I think it's just the combination of all that. The talent can be there, but if everyone isn't willing to get after it, you don't get these results.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Return to A