Region 2

The teams in Class A

Region 2

Postby B-oldtimer » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:52 am

I was wondering how other people see region 2 coming out this season. My thoughts are that Larimore and Mayport would be early season favorites. Park River will have a lot of talent and should contend but I am thinking they lost enough out the line that it may take them some time to gel as complete team. Lakota and North Prairie should contend as well will fill out the forth spot. Langdon and North Border will fight for the sixth spot and Midway-Minto will fill out the region.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Region 2

Postby B-oldtimer » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:10 pm

Region 2 has developed differently than I thought it would but Park River, Larimore, and North Prairie are pretty balanced teams and class of the region. These teams have very good skill players and can move the ball well offensively with Park River and North Prairie both have good running and passing attacks. I thought Mayville would be a little better but they have lost several players this season. Lakota/Edmore/DP seems to be in the middle they have talent but there style of play is not made for the players they have to play smash mouth running game they lack that dominant size they have in the past to play that style of game. It will be interesting see if they change and if they can beat Mayville to claim the fourth spot. Langdon has improved and play exciting game have one of the better passing attacks in region 2. North Border is young team and getting better they will become a factor next year in 9 man. Midway/Minto should be helped by moving to 9 man next year. The top three teams in this region by end of year should all ge respectable candidates for the playoffs but top one region 1 teams will also be very good so region 1 could dominate in playoffs again this year.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:28 pm

Wow, this region will look a lot different next year! Four teams moving down
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:55 pm

I don't understand this new alignment of football I can see no reason for class A 11 man football tier. I think they should have let schools decide if they wanted to play 11 man football stay with double A teams and if they didn't want to stay let them go to 9 man football. I look at this 11 man football teams in A travel is going to terrible now you are going to have to travel half the state to put a 8 game schedule together and now for JV football same thing will happen or you will be playing a lot of nine man teams and what is point of not just then letting schools decide what level their going to play at. I also think they should have looked at 6 man football this would have led to maybe fewer coops and travel cut down. I think coaches and traditionalist have problem with this but a lot of parents and fans could be won over with less travel and traditional rivals happening again instead of traveling all over the state. Montana has had for number of years and even one school from ND coops with Montana school and has participated in 6 man football. I know several of class A teams would have liked to opted down to 9 man football and now looking at who's left I can see why they wanted too.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:04 am

B-oldtimer wrote:...what is point of not just then letting schools decide what level their going to play at...

Fargo South in region 1 nine man might be too dominant.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Shawn » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:40 am

B-oldtimer wrote:I don't understand this new alignment of football I can see no reason for class A 11 man football tier. I think they should have let schools decide if they wanted to play 11 man football stay with double A teams and if they didn't want to stay let them go to 9 man football. I look at this 11 man football teams in A travel is going to terrible now you are going to have to travel half the state to put a 8 game schedule together and now for JV football same thing will happen or you will be playing a lot of nine man teams and what is point of not just then letting schools decide what level their going to play at. I also think they should have looked at 6 man football this would have led to maybe fewer coops and travel cut down. I think coaches and traditionalist have problem with this but a lot of parents and fans could be won over with less travel and traditional rivals happening again instead of traveling all over the state. Montana has had for number of years and even one school from ND coops with Montana school and has participated in 6 man football. I know several of class A teams would have liked to opted down to 9 man football and now looking at who's left I can see why they wanted too.

Teams in the past have been allowed to decide if they wish to play up a level. There were several teams that have been doing that for the past few years. When your male enrollment and participation numbers are good, that makes this decision easier. When your male numbers drop or participation numbers drop then opting up might not be in your best interest. If you look at schools and their enrollment numbers it is a very challenging task on what is best for ND football. Dropping down to 6 man football, I think would be too much of a change for most of us. Maybe the older folks would remember 6 man football, but I don't recall every seeing 6 man football. So, yeah I agree...being a traditionalist it would just be weird. Pretty lame excuse I know :wink: I agree with your logic in that it would make it easier to field a team, but it wouldn't effect co-ops like you think. I believe most co-ops are across the board co-ops and not just a one sport co-op. The two biggest reasons why schools chose to not opt up like they did in the past is travel and participation numbers. When your longest road trip will now be 100 miles vs your closest road trip at 150 miles makes this an easy decision. When you have 40+ kids out vs 25 kids out that also makes the decision easier. I know in another co-op one school has 350+ K-12 enrollment yet only have 3 kids out for football. Makes it pretty tough to be competitive, but yet how else do you classify which division teams are going to be in besides school enrollment? Not an easy task, but I do believe the current regulations (Class AAA-AA-A-9man) is the best solution. Not fun with travel no doubt. Hope this helps old timer. :)
Shawn
NDPreps Reserve

Postby CountryDelight » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:46 am

after 4 weeks of watching this region my predictions will be
1.Larimore
2.PRFL
3.LAEDP
4.North prarie
5.MPCG
6.Langdon
7.Midway minto
8.north border
CountryDelight
NDPreps Reserve

Postby B-oldtimer » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:02 pm

I look at the travel for our team in coming year for class A for 8 game season the average travel distance will be 100 miles per trip. this means at least 3 to 4 hours on bus for these kids on Friday afternoon and night. This is not also time on bus because of coop to get to main team bus. Also if wasn't for three remaining teams from this year region in class A that are under 50 miles for travel average trip probably increases to 125 to 150 miles. I don't know full solution to this problem but I know this is going to have effect on participation of kids in the future at least for our program. The reason for original coop was numbers were tight for the schools for 9 man competition plus so many of 9 man programs couldn't field a jv team to develop a schedule without traveling long distances. This is putting us back to where we started a few years ago. The way I look at this is that large percentage of Class A teams would have stayed 11 man and if they were part of class AA that league would have nice size and improved there travel times and would have some nice traditional rivals. The teams that dropped down to class 9 man would have enough competition from all other class A teams already dropping down plus some of the dominant 9 man programs existing. Now for the smaller class 9 man teams if they would have option going to 6 man so they could play at level similar sized schools this would have balanced out the football classes. I also think that you would might see some coops opt to break up to cut travel and have some traditional rivals again that they have had in past. The solution to this problem would be growing state and increased enrollments but so far this is only happening to large cities and schools out west. The Northeast part of the state is still on declining slide and less schools in the near future.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Shawn » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:21 pm

I hear you. Only difference is we are used to the 180 mile trips. Sounds like you will just be starting this experience. I feel your pain.
Shawn
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NodakQ2 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:38 pm

Long trips for High School Football in this State isn't something new. We had teams 200 miles away in our Region in the '80's. Just a fact of life in a rural State. I"m fine with the current Class System and actually wouldn't mind ELIMINATING a class and going back to the way it was. But to add 6 man? C'mon man...NDHSAA does things about as fair as they can be done. There is ALWAYS going to be less than ideal situations but it will be that way no matter how many classes we have.

Back to topic...I like Larimore in this Region.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to A