Playoff player limits!!!

The teams in Class A

Playoff player limits!!!

Postby TheSportTruth » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:44 am

I am curious to know from the passionate football fans that read these threads if you think having playoff player limits is a good thing....or something that needs to be changed back to if you practiced you went with.

Per NDHSAA regulations:

9-man is allowed only 40 players to dress.
A- is allowed only 50 players to dress.
AA- is allowed only 55 players to dress.
AAA- is allowed only 60 players to dress.

Now these limits do not come into affect for all schools, but they do come into affect for some schools at all levels. There will be that kid or kids that practiced all year but will be denied the experience of the playoffs do to this rule. Or is it a good idea to only bring only what you might need and help lower the cost for the NDHSAA and the participating schools.

Thanks to all those that share an opinion.
Shawn Sanford
Demon fan since 1982
TheSportTruth
NDPreps Starter

Re: Playoff player limits!!!

Postby Truce » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:44 pm

Id like to know why the bigger schools get to Dress more players. the game still requires the same number, 12 players per side, so why should the bigger schools get to Dress more?

That seems unfair to me.

and what differenace does it make to NDHSAA? dont the schools float the travel costs and split the gate anyways?

i think that if there is a limit it should be the same acrost A, AA, and AAA. 9 man could be lower just due to the fact that there is less players needed.
Truce
NDPreps Starter

Postby gomaji » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:55 pm

That limit is a little exaggerated anyways. Minot High is one of the biggest schools in the state, and they only dress around 45.

So I don't think the limits mean that much.
gomaji
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:08 pm

Truce wrote:Id like to know why the bigger schools get to Dress more players. the game still requires the same number, 12 players per side, so why should the bigger schools get to Dress more?

That seems unfair to me.

and what differenace does it make to NDHSAA? dont the schools float the travel costs and split the gate anyways?

i think that if there is a limit it should be the same acrost A, AA, and AAA. 9 man could be lower just due to the fact that there is less players needed.

Why is it unfair? An A school isn't gonna be playing a AAA school. It's equal for each division. And like someone else said, no one is gonna hit these limits.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Truce » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Why should it be different? whats the reason for it? the game requires 12 players.. why should a school be able to dress more just because of higher class?

justifying ity by saying noone will ever hit that number is irrelevant.

if noone will ever hit it, what is the point of the rule at all?
Truce
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:35 pm

Truce wrote:Why should it be different? whats the reason for it? the game requires 12 players.. why should a school be able to dress more just because of higher class?

justifying ity by saying noone will ever hit that number is irrelevant.

if noone will ever hit it, what is the point of the rule at all?

It's higher for the higher divisions because they have more kids so one can assume they'd have more players in their program.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:55 am

Truce wrote:Why should it be different? whats the reason for it? the game requires 12 players.. why should a school be able to dress more just because of higher class?

is this some sick trolling or am I missing something?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:03 pm

I'd love to know how many A schools could dress more then 50 players these days?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:21 pm

Flip wrote:

is this some sick trolling or am I missing something?

Waterboy flip...gets a jersery and a ribbon
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Truce » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks for being a smart A$$ you know exactly what i meant., Sure you need Special teams, offence/defence etc... all im saying is why should a school thats bigger be able to dress more, just because its bigger.

if a A school can dress 50, then good for them, its the same game no matter how big the schools are.

oh and i know this was a few years ago, but when hazen won state in 96 i believe they had 26 SENIORS on the team and like 75 or more players 9-12...

and the western schools are getting bigger.
Truce
NDPreps Starter

Postby gomaji » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:19 pm

let me get a crack at it. I'm guessing that it can be compared to scholarships in college, when the D1 universities get more scholarships than D2 universities. In high school, "AAA" teams just have more money to spend on the football program than "A" teams do.
gomaji
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:08 am

Truce, are from Canada? In two posts you say you need 12 players and you spell offense and defense like Canadians do.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Truce » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:01 am

I just noticed that i typed 12... haha Not sure why i didnt catch that when reading it.
Truce
NDPreps Starter

Postby lovwatchingsports » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:50 am

Truce wrote:Thanks for being a smart A$$ you know exactly what i meant., Sure you need Special teams, offence/defence etc... all im saying is why should a school thats bigger be able to dress more, just because its bigger.

if a A school can dress 50, then good for them, its the same game no matter how big the schools are.

oh and i know this was a few years ago, but when hazen won state in 96 i believe they had 26 SENIORS on the team and like 75 or more players 9-12...

and the western schools are getting bigger.

And then they move up a class and they get to dress more. When it comes down to it I think it goes by how many awards they are going to give each div, at the most.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby d_fense » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Here is the explanation that I got from someone in the NDHSAA about five years ago when I asked them for the reason for player limits for postseason play. He claimed that there is a limit to help reduce the chances that one team will be intimidated by the sheer numbers of another team. Take for instance a large class A school such as Hazen possibly dressing 80 players (not saying they have that many, just going off what Truce said they once had) for a playoff game vs. a school with nine man numbers such as Velva, Milnor/North Sargent, or Linton HMB that could opting up to play Class A with a roster of say... 25. There are some that feel that a team could feel intimidated by seeing that the other team has that many more players than they do. Personally I do not like that arguement. Each team is only allowed to play 11 at a time, which I feel is all that matters. But, I do not make the rules.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Return to A