Skill players vs. Lineman / Coaching vs. talent

The teams in Class A

Skill players vs. Lineman / Coaching vs. talent

Postby PrepFBrules » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:53 am

I often hear people talk about how good teams are based on the size of the line vs. talent in the backfield; or how the coaches coach the game.
#1: All else equal, what prevails in "Class B" football? size or skill players?
#2: FB coaches take more criticism for play calling than any other sport. Does it really matter? Like track and wrestling, doesn't the more talented athlete prevail regardless of coaching? Or is basketball a better comparison; bad coach = bad team.
PrepFBrules
NDPreps Starter

Re: Skill players vs. Lineman / Coaching vs. talent

Postby Hinsa » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:30 pm

Skill players. They can make something out of nothing. Having a big line with no skill players is like having a tank with no one to drive it.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Fballfan29 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:15 pm

I would have to say that skill players and a strong line is equally important, actually I would give a slight edge to the line. A strong line can make holes on offense or jam them on defense so really a team would just need mediocre running backs and line backers.

As far as the coaching vs talent......if you look at any team the first thing that is mentioned is the tradition of that school which the coaching. In class B a coach has to be smart enough to his players whether it be a power game or speed.
Fballfan29
NDPreps Reserve

Postby d_fense » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:36 am

Having a good line is much better than having good skill guys. Hinsa said "big" line in his post and in the orriginal post it states, "the size of the line". We have all seen big guys who are horrible. Size on the line is not a huge factor. That being said if two right guards are equally talented, give me the one that is fourth pounds heavier.

In a discussion of talent vs. coaching, a good coach will make the most out of his situation by getting athletes excited about the sport. That will get others excited and make them want to become involved. That will help win games. When young kids see you winning games and having fun, they start to work at the game. The next thing you know, you have a tradition going. If you are talking about one game or even one season I would go with talent. Like the old coaches saying goes, "You can not make a good chicken salad out of chicken spit."
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:17 pm

You are right. It said "size of the line." To me that means big or small. Whatever, it's probably nit-picking. I'll stand by what I said - you gotta have the skill players. The greatest, biggest, most outstanding line can't score points for you.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:27 pm

Hinsa is right. There was the same discussion in the 9 man thread last year. Here is a previous post I made.

Offense A: great line, average skill position players
Offense B: average line, great skill position players

Offense B is better every time.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Flip wrote:Hinsa is right. There was the same discussion in the 9 man thread last year. Here is a previous post I made.

Offense A: great line, average skill position players
Offense B: average line, great skill position players

Offense B is better every time.

Now In class A in ND, I'm going with skill positions. However I think it is pretty close. As far as 9 man goes, I don't really care that much about the line with that much space on the field. Just gotta have athletes. Now I know there are successful power teams in 9 man but most of what I've saw, it's about who's faster.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:28 am

I agree Indy, it's closer in 11 man than 9 man.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to A