The teams in Class A

Maple Valley-Enderlin @ Oakes

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:30 am

Thoughts on this weekend's playoff matchup
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: Maple Valley-Enderlin @ Oakes

Postby oline » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:02 pm

Both teams are playing well. The teams are fresh in each others mind. MV-E lost buy a last min. effort by Oakes in the last game of the regular season. I will say Oakes wins 20-13.
oline
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:19 pm

It will be tough for MV-E to come down to Earth after such a big win, but I'll go w/ MV-E over Oakes...13-6.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby VOTCC » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:24 pm

MV-E 26 Oakes 20
VOTCC
NDPreps Starter

Postby ClassBEast » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:16 am

Enderlin-Maple Valley players believe they can make a run at Class 1A title
By: Heath Hotzler, INFORUM

The Enderlin-Maple Valley high school football team isn’t trying to sell a small town underdog story. The Falcons believe too much in their ability to go that route.

They don’t have the ranking, press clippings or television highlights. However, Maple Valley-Enderlin certainly has the talent and confidence to contend for a North Dakota Class 1A title.

“All year we didn’t think we were underdogs,” senior linebacker and running back Ethen Preston said. “But if you look at rankings we are – technically. That’s how we like to have it.”

Nobody was surprised in the Falcons locker room when Maple Valley-Enderlin (6-3) upended top-ranked and previously unbeaten Harvey-Wells County 15-14 with a late fourth-quarter scoring drive last weekend.

This was supposed to happen. The Falcons have worked together for years to make a postseason run. The seniors didn’t want the season to end.

They all believed.

“We had so many people tell us it could be done, and it was a game we could go out and get them,” senior quarterback Dylan Lerud said.

“Not a doubt in my mind. I knew with the group of guys we have we could go out and execute and get the job done.”

A combination of great defense and a perfectly timed final drive put Enderlin-Maple Valley in position to post the upset win.

The Falcons defense stopped Harvey-Wells County three times during the game as they drove inside the Maple Valley-Enderlin 10-yard line. Jordan Haseleu intercepted a pass to set up the Falcons’ 50-yard, final scoring drive.

The Maple Valley-Enderlin offensive line took over in the closing minutes, opening huge holes for Falcons runners.

Lerud scored on a 3-yard run, and plunged in for a two-point conversion, to put the team ahead 15-14 with about 2 minutes remaining.

“When they need to get serious, they are focused and ready to go,” Maple Valley-Enderlin coach Brett Kapaun said. “They are excited to play football.”

The win was emotional. Several players had tears streaming down their cheeks. Kapaun said he and his staff also got a little choked up.

The Falcons savored the win. But only for a moment.

Thoughts soon turned to Oakes, a fellow Region 1 competitor who knocked off Maple Valley-Enderlin 28-22 in the regular-season finale. The Falcons travel to Oakes at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday for a quarterfinal game.

Beating the No. 1-ranked team in the state was nice. It wasn’t everything. There is much more the Falcons hope to accomplish.

And they’re no underdogs.

“I think we can contend with anybody,” senior center and defensive tackle Josh Michaelson said.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Linebacker48 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:57 am

i have heard oakes has a big bruiser of a running back can anyone fill me in on this?
Linebacker48
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baller55 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:38 pm

Roney i believe it is, he's tough to deal with... i saw him at the Northern Cass game and he was outrunning their linebackers and running over their lineman, he has a great combination of speed and strength.. him and preston should be a great matchup!
baller55
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:34 pm

baller55 wrote:Roney i believe it is, he's tough to deal with... i saw him at the Northern Cass game and he was outrunning their linebackers and running over their lineman, he has a great combination of speed and strength.. him and preston should be a great matchup!

Adam Roney is the FB, Tanner Zetocha is the RB. Roney is absolutely a bull, very strong and physical. GREAT lead back. Tanner Zetocha was well on his way to being the best player in the state before a bad leg injury last year. He has been getting better and better and is probably now back to where he was at, if not better. I have seen him play for years and he is an absolute stud on both sides of the ball. With all do respect to MVE, I really think Oakes is going to be very tough to beat, especially at home. There is plenty of talent beyond these two as well.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby MNTwinsFan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:48 pm

I think Oakes has to be the favorite having beat MV-E two weeks earlier and playing at home. May come down to who has makes the least amount of mental mistakes (fumbles, false starts, holding calls bringing back big plays, etc)
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:57 pm

I think MV-E controlled most of the game during the regular season, but lost it in the last few minutes. So I think the big 1st round playoff win evens out the regular season loss. I agree that their is a lot of talent on both sides, and also Region 1 as a whole. I will stick w/ MV-E with the win.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby d_fense » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:04 pm

If MV/E had not been trying to win their last game vs Oakes by twelve, they would have likely been able to hold onto their two score fourth quarter lead. I think they where up by nine in the fourth. I wouldn't swear to that though.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:38 pm

Congrats to the Maple Valley-Enderlin Falcons!!! They advance w/ a 12-6 win!
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to A