How good in the West?

The teams in Class A

How good in the West?

Postby d_fense » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:02 am

How good is the west this year? Harvey/WC came into the season from the west with lots of fanfair following a pretty good season and returning a number of starters, and adding some boys from WC. Last year Velva and Watford City pretty much walked by the competition in the west without any worries. Those next tier teams from last year didn't look good last year when playing the top teams, but didn't for the most part, graduate many of their top players. I am just wondering how good Hazen and Stanley are this year. Harvey/WC made the move east this year into region 2 and beat up on their competition pretty well. After seeing the results from the first round, maybe their regular season was not as good as we thought. M/V/E was the region 1 number 4 seed. They finished up the regular season winning just one of their last four games. That only win was a three point victory vs. Northern Cass who lost to the top 3 teams in the region by a combined score of 137-27. I am not trying to cut M/V/E, Harvey/WC, or the west down. I am just wondering how good the top of the west really is. It is tough to tell without playing teams from another part of the state. Early on, it looks like the south east may be better than some people thought.
d_fense
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:13 am
Location: Small town eastern ND

Re: How good in the West?

Postby lovwatchingsports » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:49 pm

Yiu do know that Harvey's QB did get hurt right. Take all the playoff teams and hurt their QB and see how well they do. I guess your from region one. And yes, they walked through the EAST region number two.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: How good in the West?

Postby d_fense » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:37 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:Yiu do know that Harvey's QB did get hurt right. Take all the playoff teams and hurt their QB and see how well they do. I guess your from region one. And yes, they walked through the EAST region number two.


Yes, I know he was banged up. But he did play nearly the whole game, didn't he? You are right, taking a starting QB out hurts a great deal. One of the worst things about taking a QB out is the fact that you normally have to take your most gifted athlete and move them from their spot to fill in for the QB.

The question that I am trying to get at is....

How good is the west this year? Would the top teams this year beat the top teams from the past few years?

This years top teams (Stanley, Hazen, and Heart River) lost last year to Watford City and Velva by a combined score of 225-29. Did a year make that big of a difference for them, or are the west's top teams just not what they have been?
d_fense
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:13 am
Location: Small town eastern ND

Re: How good in the West?

Postby lovwatchingsports » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:02 pm

d_fense wrote:
lovwatchingsports wrote:Yiu do know that Harvey's QB did get hurt right. Take all the playoff teams and hurt their QB and see how well they do. I guess your from region one. And yes, they walked through the EAST region number two.


Yes, I know he was banged up. But he did play nearly the whole game, didn't he? You are right, taking a starting QB out hurts a great deal. One of the worst things about taking a QB out is the fact that you normally have to take your most gifted athlete and move them from their spot to fill in for the QB.

The question that I am trying to get at is....

How good is the west this year? Would the top teams this year beat the top teams from the past few years?

This years top teams (Stanley, Hazen, and Heart River) lost last year to Watford City and Velva by a combined score of 225-29. Did a year make that big of a difference for them, or are the west's top teams just not what they have been?

All three of those teams have most of their kids back from last year i do believe. Velva and Watford City lost quite a few seniors
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: How good in the West?

Postby d_fense » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:44 am

lovewatchingsports, I understand that and said the same thing. I am currious if these three teams could beat last years top two teams if they could magically meet?

I have seen a few games on television from the west this year. In the limited sample that I have seen it was tough to tell if a team was particularly good, or if the other team was just really bad.
d_fense
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:13 am
Location: Small town eastern ND

Re: How good in the West?

Postby lovwatchingsports » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:49 am

I would say Hazen, Heart River, and Stanley are better than they were last year. Better than the Velva team last year, its hard to compare. Hazen could be there. Stanley also close. I would say that Velva is better now than in the beginning. And I would say if Stumpf would have not gotten hurt ( I heard it was a broken collar bone) Harvey would be still playing. But I give Maple Valley Enderline a lot of credit they play some big defence when needed, Harvey had the ball inside the 10 five times scored twice. I guess they need a place kicker. Funny how kids never work on that any more. You are only good at it if you put some time at it.

Now have heard that it was a separated schoulder.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: How good in the West?

Postby Donkey_Kong » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:58 pm

the talent level in class A football down this year , no one can argue that . The watford city and velva teams from last year would walk over ne team in class A this year no problom, end of story!they had way to much talent combined with excellent coaching. The only way one was gonna lose ,is when they played each other.
Donkey_Kong
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:29 am

Re: How good in the West?

Postby USA » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:08 pm

Donkey_Kong wrote:the talent level in class A football down this year , no one can argue that . The watford city and velva teams from last year would walk over ne team in class A this year no problom, end of story!they had way to much talent combined with excellent coaching. The only way one was gonna lose ,is when they played each other.

Agreed. We won't see any teams as talented as last years WC and Velva teams for a LONG time.
USA
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: How good in the West?

Postby 70runner » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:24 am

Last year I watched Velva and Watford play some. This year I saw Stanley-PL play twice. I'll have to say that this years Stanley-PL team was right up there with last years Velva and Watford. That Smith kid, the fullback, is a tank and the Roerich kid is a heck of running back. And their line is big, plays smart and can open some big holes. But where I think they are better than last years top Class A teams is on Defense. I know it is an opinion but seeing them in person was something to watch. The one thing I really noticed is they never stop until the whistle blows, even the players that are away from the ball. They just wear to other team down. I watched the Hazen-SPL game and it ended 28-27. But it wasn't that close. Hazen was down 27-19 up until the end. They scored with under ten seconds to go and got the two point conversion and then tried an on-side kick. SPL recovered-game over. If it was magically possible I would really like to see the 2010 Velva Aggies play the 2011 SPL Bluejays.
70runner
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:10 pm

Re: How good in the West?

Postby Cowboyman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:33 am

dont forget about Harvey 08 team. they lost to velva in the regular season and then shut out everyteam the rest of the season. they even played velva again to go to state and won by 3 or 4 tds
pin it to win it
Cowboyman
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Re: How good in the West?

Postby PigskinDynasty » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:24 pm

like donkey kong said, the talent level of class a football was simply down this year. stanley vs velva this year was still a close game even after velva lost all that talent, where last year stanley was severely out-manned. defensively, velva's defense wasn't scored on during the entire regular season last year and watford's allowed very few points as well. the teams were just on another level considering the athleticism and football smarts of their player personnel along with legendary coaching. stanley had a very nice team this year but '10 aggies and wolves would win a match up every time.
PigskinDynasty
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: How good in the West?

Postby mama_bird » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:50 am

PigskinDynasty wrote:like donkey kong said, the talent level of class a football was simply down this year. stanley vs velva this year was still a close game even after velva lost all that talent, where last year stanley was severely out-manned. defensively, velva's defense wasn't scored on during the entire regular season last year and watford's allowed very few points as well. the teams were just on another level considering the athleticism and football smarts of their player personnel along with legendary coaching. stanley had a very nice team this year but '10 aggies and wolves would win a match up every time.


Disagree :!:
mama_bird
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: How good in the West?

Postby Tide04 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:46 pm

I agree with mama bird. I think Stanley would have played with both of those teams. Their defense was better than both teams last year.
Tide04
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:07 pm

Re: How good in the West?

Postby Donkey_Kong » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:22 pm

how can you say stanley's defense is even comparable to the velva/watford teams last year. look at the offenses they went against. stanleys toughest games were velva who was way down from last year offensively and hazen who had the same team as last year (who i heard watford city held to negative total yardage). there is no way in my mind that this years stanley team could be put in the same caliber as the teams from last year. they were a good football team competing on a down year in class A
Donkey_Kong
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:29 am

Re: How good in the West?

Postby bison football73 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Donkey_Kong wrote:how can you say stanley's defense is even comparable to the velva/watford teams last year. look at the offenses they went against. stanleys toughest games were velva who was way down from last year offensively and hazen who had the same team as last year (who i heard watford city held to negative total yardage). there is no way in my mind that this years stanley team could be put in the same caliber as the teams from last year. they were a good football team competing on a down year in class A


you also have to realize that hazen had an extremely young team last year when they were held to negative total yardage. they grow up and learn the offense even more which makes for an effective football team. yes last year's velva and watford teams were very good but i think stanley is up there with them, and deserves some credit they are the state champions.
bison football73
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:00 pm


Return to A

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest