Trinity A/AA going before the board?

The teams in Class AA.

Trinity A/AA going before the board?

Postby Mandan » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:56 pm

I saw an agenda item for the NDHSAA meetings earlier this week, where Trinity was going to request moving down to A (after previously requesting to go AA since their enrollment would have put them in A to begin with). What's with the flip-flop? What ultimately happened? I have seen no news items on the Dickinson Press website and the Press guys don't update their blogs very often.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Re: Trinity A/AA going before the board?

Postby scruffy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:09 am

Travel. We stayed "AA" hoping Hazen, Watford City and Bowman would do the same. When those schools dropped we had to look at alternatives due to travel. Now, in "AA" half the conference will be more then 250 miles away. Only Beulah and Bismarck Saint Mary's will be within 100 miles. It won't happen in 2009 but the change will occur....
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Truce » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:16 pm

Personally i think any privatye school that is competitive in the division they are in should not be allowed to Drop Classes.

Trinity and Oak grove and Minot Ryan and those schools can Control their enrollments to basically be whatever they want. I know its taboo to say this, but they also have a capability(albiet not legally) toi recruit out of the AAA schools in the area. Dont even try to lie to me and say its never happened.

Hazen is dropping due to enrollment. Trinity always had the ability to drop.

SO trinity and Hazen and Valley City Dropping to A, and SHanly, Wahpeton, and more dropping to AA.

Schools shouldnt be allowed to drop classes just due to travel expence.
Truce
NDPreps Starter

Postby dukefan32 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:43 pm

At least gas is going down.... :D
dukefan32
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball4life » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:55 pm

Truce wrote:Personally i think any privatye school that is competitive in the division they are in should not be allowed to Drop Classes.

Trinity and Oak grove and Minot Ryan and those schools can Control their enrollments to basically be whatever they want. I know its taboo to say this, but they also have a capability(albiet not legally) toi recruit out of the AAA schools in the area. Dont even try to lie to me and say its never happened.

SO trinity and Hazen and Valley City Dropping to A, and SHanly, Wahpeton, and more dropping to AA.

I really dont feel like fighting about this, BUT. wouldnt you think that if trinity and ryan(cant speak for oak grove) could control their enrollment, they would get it up into the higher enrollments of the AA schools? I dont know recent numbers, but a year or two ago trinity had the numbers to be a 9 man team.

What i am ultimately getting at is you are completely oblivious to the facts. Private schools do not control their numbers!

I am not lying to you by the way. Give me one case of one of these schools recruiting. I know first hand about a couple students in our school(AA) that have had a coach from a AAA school in their house talking with them about coming to the bigger school. So until i have proven facts about it going the other way, i dont believe it.
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:59 am

Truce wrote:Personally i think any privatye school that is competitive in the division they are in should not be allowed to Drop Classes.

Let you in on a secret...Trinity is SMALLER then Watford and Hazen! We could be 9-man! If you have any tips on controlling enrollment let me know so we can turn the tide and began to gain students instead of losing them. We're no different then public schools. The pie is getting smaller and the number of high schools in this state must be reduced substantially to save tax dollars....
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mandan » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:20 am

Controlling enrollment?? If Trinity could, they would have over 400 students and still be class A in all sports. I was there, and it hurt everyone to have to drop down to Class B in 1991. Do not for one minute think that Trinity is limiting enrollment on purpose.

I was surprised about Hazen and Watford City not staying in AA also. Bowman has not done very good in AA, and I would not have expected them to move up, but the other two are surprising.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby g.f.basketball » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:22 pm

Dickinson is a small town and there are not that many students for Trinity to recruit from. I'm sure it is hard to keep 2 high schools alive in a town of only 16,000. I'm not saying there has never been any recruiting, but it's not as if Trinity has that much to choose from.
g.f.basketball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Mandan » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:24 pm

I just wanted to mention one thing about 9-Man. I checked out the numbers in the NDHSAA football document showing the breakdown of the classes, and the largest 9-man team has 81 boys. Trinity has 82 if you exclude New England's kids, so even then Trinity would not be 9-man (but would be very close). With the New England boys being counted, though, they certainly aren't in 9-man territory.

The numbers are in here:
http://www.ndhsaa.org/files/FBPlanTimeLineGuidepdf.pdf
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfootballwrestling » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:00 pm

I guess if VC is moving to A next season its news to me. The way I understood the dealio is that VC would still be AA for football.
ndfootballwrestling

Postby kaybee94 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:10 pm

ndfootballwrestling wrote:

I guess if VC is moving to A next season its news to me. The way I understood the dealio is that VC would still be AA for football.

I think he meant Watford City
kaybee94
NDPreps Reserve

Postby InYourFace » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:31 pm

Trinity was denied so they are going to stay AA because ND athletic board didn't agree with Trinity so made them stay in AA.
InYourFace
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Truce » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:11 am

I never said they do, but the have the ability to control their enrollment. They are a private school.

And i also said that trinity always had the option to drop down, i know they are smaller.

If i remember right, back in the McNally days at Minot Ryan, there was a big stink about kids being recruited outa Magic City...

and another thing, i know travel costs are a big thing right now, but that should'nt be the only reason to change classes.
Truce
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:40 am

InYourFace wrote:Trinity was denied so they are going to stay AA because ND athletic board didn't agree with Trinity so made them stay in AA.

No. We intend to go "A" and the association can not deny us. It just won't happen in 2009.
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby kaybee94 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:53 am

scruffy wrote:
InYourFace wrote:Trinity was denied so they are going to stay AA because ND athletic board didn't agree with Trinity so made them stay in AA.

No. We intend to go "A" and the association can not deny us. It just won't happen in 2009.

Or 2010. It is a 2 year plan, so they will have to wait until 2011.
kaybee94
NDPreps Reserve

Postby InYourFace » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:25 am

kaybee94 wrote:
scruffy wrote:

I Believe all the teams in AA should of stayed and the AAA schools should of stayed up and kept then same schools in the same divisions for that they have been for a long time and i'm it wont be long till all of the AA teams are A and all the AAA teams are AA
InYourFace
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scruffy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:50 am

InYourFace wrote:
kaybee94 wrote:
scruffy wrote:

I Believe all the teams in AA should of stayed and the AAA schools should of stayed up and kept then same schools in the same divisions for that they have been for a long time and i'm it wont be long till all of the AA teams are A and all the AAA teams are AA

And around here all the "A" schools have gone 9 man. I think that in two years the four class system will go away and be replaced by a three class system. This four class system isn't working for the same reasons a three class system in basketball would not work. One big reason all teams are dropping is for travel reasons. When two or three teams leave their conference all of a sudden they have to travel at least twice as far to make up those conference games. Most schools find it easier to drop down..
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball18 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:11 pm

Trust me, private schools aren';t controlling enrollment... they try so hard to get their enrollment up... at least Bismarck St. Mary's does and pretty much every other one. If St. Mary's could get get their enrollment back up to the 600's like it was in the 70's and in the 500's in the 80's they would do it in a heart beat. Trust me, nearly everybody involved at SM does not want to move down to AA, esp. their coach Dan Smrekar.
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Return to AA