2008 Class AA Quarterfinal Playoff Schedule

The teams in Class AA.

2008 Class AA Quarterfinal Playoff Schedule

Postby ND Football Guy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:49 pm

Saturday - November 1st (Quarterfinals)

PPG = Average Points Per Game; PPGA = Average Points Per Game Against

TOP BRACKET

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

West Region # 4 - Dickinson Trinity Titans (4-5), PPG - 22.1, PPGA - 18.9

AT East Region # 1 - (#1) Valley City Hi-Liners (9-0), PPG - 25.1, PPGA - 10.3 (5:00 PM)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

East Region # 3 - (#5) Bottineau Braves (6-3), PPG - 15.0, PPGA - 11.8

AT West Region # 2 - (#4) Hazen Bison (8-1), PPG - 35.4, PPGA - 11.9 (1:30 PM)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOTTOM BRACKET

West Region # 3 - (RV) Beulah Miners (6-3), PPG - 27.0, PPGA - 18.8

AT East Region # 2 - (#2) Devils Lake Firebirds (8-1), PPG - 25.8, PPGA - 11.0 (3:00 PM)

East Region # 4 - Fargo Oak Grove Grovers (6-3), PPG - 21.0, PPGA - 16.1

AT West Region # 1 - (#3) Watford City Wolves (8-1), PPG - 35.6, PPGA - 12.8 (1:00 PM)

Last edited by ND Football Guy on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
ND Football Guy
NDPreps All-State

Re: 2008 Class AA Quarterfinal Playoff Schedule

Postby digger » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:12 am

First Round Picks:

Valley City over Trinity: Too much speed, athleticism for the Titans, Valley City wins big
Hazen over Bottineau: Same result as first game, Hazen by 10+, Bottineau is better but not enough
Devils Lake over Beulah: Devils Lake by 10+, Firebirds have too many good athletes
Watford City over Oak Grove: If conditions allow, Wolves passing game picks apart the Grovers

No upsets; if the conditions are sloppy, Bottineau could give Hazen a run for their money.
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby tweener » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:19 pm

Oak Grove has good team speed and CAN cover the gaps well. Not sure other than that.
tweener
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GoAus8 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:44 pm

It's going to be an all east semi-final
GoAus8
NDPreps Starter

Postby football101 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:17 pm

GoAus8 wrote:It's going to be an all east semi-final

I agree, they West teams will not be scoring 30+ points a a game. Top three defenses in the state: Valley, DL, Bottineau. Defense wins in the playoffs.
football101
NDPreps Starter

Postby inurfacefootball » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:32 pm

football101 wrote:
GoAus8 wrote:It's going to be an all east semi-final

I agree, they West teams will not be scoring 30+ points a a game. Top three defenses in the state: Valley, DL, Bottineau. Defense wins in the playoffs.

I know that Devil's Lake and Bottineau are doing good on defense but what is Valley's points givin up per game average?
inurfacefootball

Postby champ24 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:35 pm

Have any of you who believe its going to be an all east semi final actually seen a west team play? Or are you just basing information off of early season scores? Or are your rose colored glasses just beaming with Eastern ND bias?? In any case, your misinformation and ignorance is rather pathetic. Do you realize there are coaches from other AA East teams who actually believe the top 2 teams in the west are better than any team in the East? I'm just curious as to where you come up with your analysis.
champ24

Postby digger » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:41 pm

I've seen all the East teams play (except Carrington). Seen Trinity, Hazen and Beulah from the West. I agree champ, Watford City (who I haven't seen, so just judging by scores and news clippings)and Hazen are on par with Valley City and Devils Lake. Would not surprise me at all if Hazen or Watford won the championship. I think Oak Grove is a stronger 4 seed than Trinity and Bottineau is a stronger 3 seed than Beulah.
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby inurfacefootball » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:44 pm

not tryin to sound bias or anything but honestly the only things i have heard about the west was watford's upset over hazen when sorensen was injured and the coal bowl, we're not saying that east is better than west but there just hasn't been that much put into the news about the west, it has all been about either Devil's Lake or Valley City...
inurfacefootball

Postby ND Football Guy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:09 pm

Updated.
ND Football Guy
NDPreps All-State

Postby football101 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:25 am

champ24 wrote:Have any of you who believe its going to be an all east semi final actually seen a west team play? Or are you just basing information off of early season scores? Or are your rose colored glasses just beaming with Eastern ND bias?? In any case, your misinformation and ignorance is rather pathetic. Do you realize there are coaches from other AA East teams who actually believe the top 2 teams in the west are better than any team in the East? I'm just curious as to where you come up with your analysis.

Come on dude. There is not a coach in the East that doesn't think Valley is the best team in state. The title game will be VALLEY and DL
football101
NDPreps Starter

Postby tweener » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:07 pm

football101 wrote:
champ24 wrote:Have any of you who believe its going to be an all east semi final actually seen a west team play? Or are you just basing information off of early season scores? Or are your rose colored glasses just beaming with Eastern ND bias?? In any case, your misinformation and ignorance is rather pathetic. Do you realize there are coaches from other AA East teams who actually believe the top 2 teams in the west are better than any team in the East? I'm just curious as to where you come up with your analysis.

Come on dude. There is not a coach in the East that doesn't think Valley is the best team in state. The title game will be VALLEY and DL

I'm guessing those are the coaches who thought their boys could beat these two teams from the East. Guess now we know why there are so many whiny lil football players here, they listen to their coaches gripe about why they werent good enough to beat DL and/or VC. Thats the pathetic part.
Funny thing about it is in about 3 weeks everyone will know who the best team in AA football really is and this whinery and jibberish will have no bearing on anything. But I spose if your team doesnt win the one that did cheated somehow. I can see it now posting (champ24) well my team woulda won but such and such happened so we LOST!
tweener
NDPreps Reserve

Postby westpower » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:58 pm

tweener wrote:Oak Grove has good team speed and CAN cover the gaps well. Not sure other than that.

how are there special teams and pass coverage...I dont feel many people can handle those aspects of WC......not saying they are this great wonderful team but u better believe they will be TOUGH!!
westpower
NDPreps Starter

Postby champ24 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:01 pm

You don't know anything about me, therefore your assumption sounds a lot like ignorance. It just gets a little old listening to everyone talk the East up. How about we just hand over the AA title without even playing any games? Second, I highly doubt any coaches in the East "whine" about why their team lost to VC or DL. Those coaches have a little more class than that, which is a lot more than I can say for a few of the posters on here. Is VC good? sure, they have a great team. Is DL good? Sure, they are the defending state runners-up. Are they heads above the teams in the west? Not in my opinion AND observation of both teams.

tweener wrote:
football101 wrote:

I'm guessing those are the coaches who thought their boys could beat these two teams from the East. Guess now we know why there are so many whiny lil football players here, they listen to their coaches gripe about why they werent good enough to beat DL and/or VC. Thats the pathetic part.
Funny thing about it is in about 3 weeks everyone will know who the best team in AA football really is and this whinery and jibberish will have no bearing on anything. But I spose if your team doesnt win the one that did cheated somehow. I can see it now posting (champ24) well my team woulda won but such and such happened so we LOST!
champ24

Postby ndsportsfan14 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:32 am

westpower wrote:
tweener wrote:Oak Grove has good team speed and CAN cover the gaps well. Not sure other than that.

how are there special teams and pass coverage...I dont feel many people can handle those aspects of WC......not saying they are this great wonderful team but u better believe they will be TOUGH!!

there Specials are pretty desent but there pass coverage terrible Carrington passed for 252 yds on them
ndsportsfan14
NDPreps All-State

Postby stoaxc2004 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:20 pm

That was with some key players on defense with injuries...they will be better now!! Still not great though!!
stoaxc2004

Postby silentbob » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:11 pm

digger wrote:First Round Picks:

Valley City over Trinity: Too much speed, athleticism for the Titans, Valley City wins big
Hazen over Bottineau: Same result as first game, Hazen by 10+, Bottineau is better but not enough
Devils Lake over Beulah: Devils Lake by 10+, Firebirds have too many good athletes
Watford City over Oak Grove: If conditions allow, Wolves passing game picks apart the Grovers

No upsets; if the conditions are sloppy, Bottineau could give Hazen a run for their money.

I disagree with VC winning big. Trinity and them were tied at half earlier this year, so DT can hang with them. trinity hasnt put 4 solid quarters together yet this season and i wouldn't be surprised if this is the week they do it. i'm not saying trinity is going to win but it definately wont be a big win for vc
silentbob
NDPreps Reserve

Postby yakama » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:25 pm

ND Football Guy wrote:Saturday - November 1st (Quarterfinals)

PPG = Average Points Per Game; PPGA = Average Points Per Game Against

TOP BRACKET

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

West Region # 4 - Dickinson Trinity Titans (4-5), PPG - 22.1, PPGA - 18.9

AT East Region # 1 - (#1) Valley City Hi-Liners (9-0), PPG - 25.1, PPGA - 10.3

East Region # 3 - (RV) Bottineau Braves (6-3), PPG - 15.0, PPGA - 11.8

AT West Region # 2 - (#4) Hazen Bison (8-1), PPG - 35.4, PPGA - 11.9

BOTTOM BRACKET

West Region # 3 - (#5) Beulah Miners (6-3), PPG - 27.0, PPGA - 18.8

AT East Region # 2 - (#2) Devils Lake Firebirds (8-1), PPG - 25.8, PPGA - 11.0

East Region # 4 - Fargo Oak Grove Grovers (6-3), PPG - 21.0, PPGA - 16.1

AT West Region # 1 - (#3) Watford City Wolves (8-1), PPG - 35.6, PPGA - 12.8

Quarter finals
VC over DT
Hazen over Botno-should be close
DL over Beaulah-in Beaulah's win streak the only half decent team they played was trinity
WC over OG-again should be clos

Semi-finals
VC over Hazen-could go either way
WC over DL-again could go either way

Finals
VC over WC-could go either way here too

all in all should be some fun games to watch
yakama
NDPreps Starter

Postby mc696 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:23 pm

BIggest thing working against VC is little to no playoff experience coaches and players if challenged and close late could be tough that being said trintiy and OG both have a long ways to travel and it will certainly work against them. Doubt either can over come that in first round, in addition to playing strong teams. Other 2 games seem just as clear with both home teams being stronger not just in record but playoff experience last year.

WC over OG
VC over DT
Haz over Bott
DL over beulah

Next round becomes tougher to choose
mc696

Postby MT_20 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:33 am

Watford City
Valley City
Bottineau
Devils Lake
“Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.”
--Paul "Bear" Bryant
MT_20
NDPreps Starter

Postby kaybee94 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:15 am

Game #1
#1W Watford City vs. #4E Fargo Oak Grove
Watford City has too much firepower. They can throw the ball all over the field, and can run the ball when they need too. Their defense is quick to the ball, they tackle very well, and they will take care of the line of scrimmage. Add that all to the fact they are playing at Fridley Field and that equals a Watford City win by the score of 34-12

#2W Hazen vs. #3E Bottineau
Played earlier in the year with Hazen winning 27-7. Heard that the Bottineau players and coaches were hoping for a rematch because they felt as if they had won the 1st time. Be very careful what you wish for. The Bison offense is explosive, fast and do not make nearly as many mistakes as they did earlier. Bottineau lovers, if you had actually seen the game, you would know that minus a few turnovers, Hazen could have made that a 40-7 game. Bottineau is improved, they are physical, and they play extremely hard, but are no match for the Bison. Hazen 38-8

#1E Valley City vs. #4W Dickinson Trinity
Most intriguing matchup of the 1st round. Played a relatively close game earlier in the year, with Trinity having 5+ turnovers. Valley is very fast, which might give Trinity some problems. The one thing that Trinity has going for them is playoff experience and some very good coaches. I'm gonna predict the upset here and say Trinity 21-14 over Valley City.

#2E Devils Lake vs. #3W Beulah
Way too much for the Miners to handle. They are coming off a very unimpressive Coal Bowl. The Firebirds might have trouble containing Schank, IF Schmidt has time to throw the ball. The Firebirds will win the line of scrimmage and the game 34-6.
kaybee94
NDPreps Reserve

Postby football57 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:21 pm

kaybee94 wrote:Game #1
#1W Watford City vs. #4E Fargo Oak Grove
Watford City has too much firepower. They can throw the ball all over the field, and can run the ball when they need too. Their defense is quick to the ball, they tackle very well, and they will take care of the line of scrimmage. Add that all to the fact they are playing at Fridley Field and that equals a Watford City win by the score of 34-12

#2W Hazen vs. #3E Bottineau
Played earlier in the year with Hazen winning 27-7. Heard that the Bottineau players and coaches were hoping for a rematch because they felt as if they had won the 1st time. Be very careful what you wish for. The Bison offense is explosive, fast and do not make nearly as many mistakes as they did earlier. Bottineau lovers, if you had actually seen the game, you would know that minus a few turnovers, Hazen could have made that a 40-7 game. Bottineau is improved, they are physical, and they play extremely hard, but are no match for the Bison. Hazen 38-8

Most intriguing matchup of the 1st round. Played a relatively close game earlier in the year, with Trinity having 5+ turnovers. Valley is very fast, which might give Trinity some problems. The one thing that Trinity has going for them is playoff experience and some very good coaches. I'm gonna predict the upset here and say Trinity 21-14 over Valley City.

#2E Devils Lake vs. #3W Beulah
Way too much for the Miners to handle. They are coming off a very unimpressive Coal Bowl. The Firebirds might have trouble containing Schank, IF Schmidt has time to throw the ball. The Firebirds will win the line of scrimmage and the game 34-6.

You need to get your facts straight because you have no idea what you are talking about. There is no possible way that hazen caould have put up 40 points against Bottineau in their earlier game this year. I was at the game and watched the game closely and they both made mistakes that hurt them, but their is no way that Hazen could have scored that many points. You have no idea what u r talkiing about.
football57
NDPreps Reserve

Postby tweener » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:04 pm

[quote="kaybee94"]

Obviously you seen a different aspect of this game here than I did. Yes the first half was close. But thats why there are 2 halves in a game. If by relatively close you mean a score of 26-0 scored against Varsity players close.. I really like those rosey glasses you have, I could have used a pair of those the last couple years watchin VC football. But anyways Good Luck Hi Liners....
tweener
NDPreps Reserve

Postby kaybee94 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:29 pm

tweener wrote:
kaybee94 wrote:

Obviously you seen a different aspect of this game here than I did. Yes the first half was close. But thats why there are 2 halves in a game. If by relatively close you mean a score of 26-0 scored against Varsity players close.. I really like those rosey glasses you have, I could have used a pair of those the last couple years watchin VC football. But anyways Good Luck Hi Liners....

Please read what I wrote instead of rushing to defend those all-mighty Hi-Liners. First, I said relatively close. Should I define what that means? Second, Trinity's turnovers played a KEY, not the reason, but a KEY in Trinity not making a better game of it. I'm saying that Trinity has experience in the playoffs, has a great coaching staff and I believe will make this a better game.
kaybee94
NDPreps Reserve

Postby benchwarmer19 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:20 pm

[quote][#1E Valley City vs. #4W Dickinson Trinity
Most intriguing matchup of the 1st round. Played a relatively close game earlier in the year, with Trinity having 5+ turnovers. Valley is very fast, which might give Trinity some problems. The one thing that Trinity has going for them is playoff experience and some very good coaches. I'm gonna predict the upset here and say Trinity 21-14 over Valley City./quote]

I agree with the upset pick. In my opinion Dickinson Trinity has the best coaching staff in AA football and with that comes a wealth of playoff and big game experience. From what I have seen Derek Elliot is a good player but I didn't see a whole lot of other good skill position players for Valley. If Trinity can shut down Elliot which I believe they will do they will win this game in a close one.
benchwarmer19
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to AA