Best RB??

The teams in Class AA.

Re: Best RB??

Postby tweener » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:07 am

purple_drank wrote:
DoUbLeAaLlThEwAy wrote:Well the Huskies are 4-0, i heard they had a pretty good running back.

Ryan Smith is the back at whap. To me he is the best back in the state from what I have seen. He is also playin for NDSU next year.

If my memory serves me correctly, we also heard this same report of a certain kid from VC. Who was gonna play for the Bison, where did he go to college anyways?
tweener
NDPreps Reserve

Postby number_one_fan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:12 pm

Brandon Schell from Lisbon. Very hard hitting physical back. No arm tackling him. Takes a few tacklers to get him down. One of the best in the state in my eyes. Two time all-state running back.
number_one_fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby DoUbLeAaLlThEwAy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:45 pm

number_one_fan wrote:Brandon Schell from Lisbon. Very hard hitting physical back. No arm tackling him. Takes a few tacklers to get him down. One of the best in the state in my eyes. Two time all-state running back.

What are Schell's stats so far for the season?
DoUbLeAaLlThEwAy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby PeopleRTalkin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:19 pm

dinosports wrote:
purple_drank wrote:
DoUbLeAaLlThEwAy wrote:Well the Huskies are 4-0, i heard they had a pretty good running back.

Ryan Smith is the back at whap. To me he is the best back in the state from what I have seen. He is also playin for NDSU next year.

I would definately agree with is, Any team has a very hard time stopping Smith

Look at the carries he gets compared to all the other RBs in the State. Im pretty sure any RB could put up the same or better if they got the same amount of carries as Smith. Im not impressed.
PeopleRTalkin
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bbfan65 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:05 pm

If you are not impressed by the Smith kid you don't know much about football. Teams know what is coming at them and he still puts up big numbers. He can take any play and go the distance. The kid from Bismarck, Smith, and the Lisbon back are all going to carry the ball in college if they decide that is what they want. I can't speak for any other backs because I havn't seen them play so I am not discounting anybody else.
bbfan65
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NorthDakota11 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:11 pm

If we're talking AA it's Smith and Schell and then all the rest.

You can say all you want about how many carries Smith gets... but the bottom line is everyone know he's going to get 30+ carries a game and they still can't stop it. He's going to NDSU so obviously the kid has some talent.

I haven't seen Schell play but it sounds like he's a stud... possibly better then Smith... I look forward to getting the chance to see him as the season goes on
"Why did you go for two?"

"Because I couldn't go for three..." - Woody Hayes
NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby gobison#6 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:35 pm

Smith and Schell are definitely the top two. Another good back in the East is Trevor Goerts from CC. He is small but explosive. He can get through a hole and just break off a huge run pretty easily.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby 3Putt » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:35 am

One thing I think gets overlooked about Smith is his durability. I don't know the exact stats but it seems like he carries the ball 30+ times a game for about 7 yards/carry with the defense keying on him. Plus he punts and plays DB. Listed at 5-9 and 160-something, that's impressive.
3Putt
NDPreps Starter

Postby jmanning22 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:48 am

trevor goerts from central cass is among the top 3 rbs in the east
jmanning22
NDPreps Rookie

Postby DoUbLeAaLlThEwAy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:41 pm

jmanning22 wrote:trevor goerts from central cass is among the top 3 rbs in the east

What are goerts' stats so far this season?
DoUbLeAaLlThEwAy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby eggman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:03 pm

tweener wrote:
purple_drank wrote:

If my memory serves me correctly, we also heard this same report of a certain kid from VC. Who was gonna play for the Bison, where did he go to college anyways?

He is starting at Wide Reciever as a true freshman for Valley City.
eggman

Postby PigskinQuad » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:05 pm

Im very surprised Ben Wolf hasnt been mentioned. He plays DB and hes the punt returner with too many tds to count. I think hes averaging over 10 yards per carry too. you cant tell me thats not impressive. Hes definitely up there when we are talking best RB in the state.
PigskinQuad
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndsportsfan14 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:06 pm

PigskinQuad wrote:Im very surprised Ben Wolf hasnt been mentioned. He plays DB and hes the punt returner with too many tds to count. I think hes averaging over 10 yards per carry too. you cant tell me thats not impressive. Hes definitely up there when we are talking best RB in the state.

To Many To Count Holy That Must Be Alot!!!!!!!!!
ndsportsfan14
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:19 pm

ndsportsfan14 wrote:
PigskinQuad wrote:Im very surprised Ben Wolf hasnt been mentioned. He plays DB and hes the punt returner with too many tds to count. I think hes averaging over 10 yards per carry too. you cant tell me thats not impressive. Hes definitely up there when we are talking best RB in the state.

NAH...it just means he can't count very high :lol:
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndsportsfan14 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:32 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
ndsportsfan14 wrote:

:lol: haha ya he must be from Devils Lake!!
ndsportsfan14
NDPreps All-State

Postby LPB'S37 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:37 am

PeopleRTalkin you must know nothing about football if your not impressed by ryan smith. It is true he gets a lot of carries however the style of offense his team runs is designed to get about 4 yards per carry and he is doing all this when every team knows who is getting the ball and completely focus on 1 guy and he still rushes for 200 yards every game
LPB'S37
NDPreps Reserve

Postby DoUbLeAaLlThEwAy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:01 am

LPB'S37 wrote:PeopleRTalkin you must know nothing about football if your not impressed by ryan smith. It is true he gets a lot of carries however the style of offense his team runs is designed to get about 4 yards per carry and he is doing all this when every team knows who is getting the ball and completely focus on 1 guy and he still rushes for 200 yards every game

That is pretty impressive :shock:
DoUbLeAaLlThEwAy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby FootballAA1 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:04 pm

ndsportsfan14 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
ndsportsfan14 wrote:

:lol: haha ya he must be from Devils Lake!!

Nah pretty sure he must be from carrington then.......
FootballAA1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NorthDakota11 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:56 pm

Does Wap still run that really tight wing-t like formation on offense? if so I think it would be interesting to see what Smith would do in just your basic pro-style I-back offense where the field is stretched out a little bit... if they are still running that tight offense he doesn't get the opportunity to break very many big plays and if he does he's probably broken two or three tackles at the point of attack. I think that says tons about the kid and his ability if he's still able to break big runs in an offense like that.
"Why did you go for two?"

"Because I couldn't go for three..." - Woody Hayes
NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby DoUbLeAaLlThEwAy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:17 pm

NorthDakota11 wrote:Does Wap still run that really tight wing-t like formation on offense? if so I think it would be interesting to see what Smith would do in just your basic pro-style I-back offense where the field is stretched out a little bit... if they are still running that tight offense he doesn't get the opportunity to break very many big plays and if he does he's probably broken two or three tackles at the point of attack. I think that says tons about the kid and his ability if he's still able to break big runs in an offense like that.

Ya it looks like thats what they still run. And ive also seen them in other formations such as the spread out pro formation with i backs but it seems like the same results. But i just think its crazy how all the teams have a number of people keying on him and fill the box and he still puts up the same numbers game after game.
DoUbLeAaLlThEwAy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Mailman_25 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:03 pm

Brandon Schell from Lisbon broke the school's rushing record last night with 230 vs. Valley City. He now has over 4000 career yards. So far this year, he is averaging over 10 yards a carry with over 900 yards and about 90 carries the KQLX radio guy said.
Mailman_25
NDPreps Starter

Postby tweener » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:01 am

3Putt wrote:One thing I think gets overlooked about Smith is his durability. I don't know the exact stats but it seems like he carries the ball 30+ times a game for about 7 yards/carry with the defense keying on him. Plus he punts and plays DB. Listed at 5-9 and 160-something, that's impressive.

This sounds like the whole Wahpeton team is one injury away from a bad season. You need more than one kid to keep a team going through the entire season.
tweener
NDPreps Reserve

Postby eggman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:20 am

Doesn't Wolf play some receiver too?
eggman

Postby eggman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:22 am

Yeah I think we can agree that Smith is the best in the state but how about Brandon Schell from Lisbon? I think he is probably second best. I haven't seen him recently but I remember he almost single-handedly beat Harvey as a Sophmore. Harvey was also a great team that year.
eggman

Postby gobison#6 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:16 am

eggman wrote:Yeah I think we can agree that Smith is the best in the state but how about Brandon Schell from Lisbon? I think he is probably second best. I haven't seen him recently but I remember he almost single-handedly beat Harvey as a Sophmore. Harvey was also a great team that year.

Schell did not play very well at all last night against CC
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to AA