Devils Lake from AAA to AA

The teams in Class AA.

Postby 666 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:47 pm

so now that the season is winding down what do you guys think...was it worth it for DL to drop to AA? do u think it had a bad effect on AA?  Also do u think that they will ever go back up to AAA?

Re: Devils Lake from AAA to AA

Postby RazorsEdge » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:08 pm

Worth it? They doubled the amount of participants just because the kids thought they had a chance to compete. It will bring more young kids off the couch to the field. Yes it was worth it. They are finally back at the level they belong. For you old timers, remember the North Star Conference. Good luck F-Birds.
RazorsEdge
NDPreps Starter

Postby Titliest_Prov1x » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:44 pm

I guess I can't really say if it was worth it or not yet, but I don't really understand the reasoning for the drop, there are still schools in AAA that have smaller enrollment than DL, not sure what belcourts enrollment is but they couldn't win in AA how does that help them moving to AAA. I'd also be willing to bet that DL has the largest roster in AA giving them an advantage late in the game when not all players have to play on both sides of the ball.
Titliest_Prov1x

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:09 am

I'd be curious to know how many went out for football in DL this year. Didn't they only have about 24 last year when they were still AAA?
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:03 am

Titliest_Prov1x wrote:I guess I can't really say if it was worth it or not yet, but I don't really understand the reasoning for the drop, there are still schools in AAA that have smaller enrollment than DL, not sure what belcourts enrollment is but they couldn't win in AA how does that help them moving to AAA. I'd also be willing to bet that DL has the largest roster in AA giving them an advantage late in the game when not all players have to play on both sides of the ball.

The teams that have a smaller enrollment and AAA were offered the opportunity to drop and refused it. That gives them the opportunity and if the NDHSAA is going to offer it, then I say take it.
Turtle Mountain may not have competed in AA, but their enrollment constituted a jump to AAA.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bottomlesspit » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:49 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:I'd be curious to know how many went out for football in DL this year. Didn't they only have about 24 last year when they were still AAA?

49 guys went out soph - senior for DL this year but that means they have a bunch of guys that arn't as experianced.
bottomlesspit

Postby hockeyfan02 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:23 pm

I would say that the drop is worth it. You play football because you love the game, and you want to win. I think ND Sports Fan is correct in the number 24 on players from last season on DL's roster. Why would you want to go against schools like Fargo South, West Fargo, FN, Minot High, who have an overwelming number of players where they all have to compete for a spot. When you have 24 players the season before and you are dressing Freshman just to make a team look larger is sad. Who would look forward to playing fargo south and knowing that you are going to take a beating and probably loose by 40 or 50 points. Its not fun, its not competative. I think Dls school enrollment is a little over 700 9-12. South Graduates how many?.. 600+ every year? Play where its competative, where its fun, where a small towns 7000 people of devils lake have somthing to cheer for rather then feeling bad or embarressed for a handfull of guys that love the game. Congrats DL on your season, and I aplaud the move to AA.
hockeyfan02

Postby mags » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:14 am

Dl is stuck right in the middle. they said they have 700 and school like fargo bismarck and minot have many more which is true. then again many of the other AA schools have about 200 to 250 9-12. so they r right in the middle. with that said they had a great year and congrats to the players who played well this year.
mags
NDPreps Starter

Postby mc696 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:36 am

I believe football classes at least at this time are based soloy on male enrollement as well not total school, the worksheet NDSA used is on their page. Really I see nothing negative it all about the move. More kids out positive. Better competition in AA positive. A higher level of coaching into AA positive. Getting a school out of a rut of knowing wininng more than 3 games a year a great one.

That they could get to the semi game this fast speaks well, but others have seen the same thing happen ryan was up a class at one time, so was trinity. But other teams improve too have good classes of kids and win even with numbers differences, it can be a long term uneven field but balanced usually by programs that keep kids out. And really better comptetition makes a State Championship even that more special.
mc696

Postby EDC » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:46 pm

What happens to Devils Lake with their 650 some high school students if St Marys (340 some students) or Shanley (320 students) or Wahpeton (500 some students) decide to drop down in football?
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeyfan02 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:07 pm

I have to make a correction. http://www.in-forum.com said today that devils lake has 580 kids, quite a diffrence from 700. Whapeton breeds football, their hockey teams arnt strong, I havent heard of anything from basketball or cross country, maybe im wrong. Its like grafton in hockey. Shanley is allowed to recruit, but they would be better off in AA because they are weak as well. How many players leave public schools to play football at shanely? I would be suprised if they number was even 1. I cannot comment on St. Marys because I am unfamiliar with their program.
hockeyfan02

Postby Stromer » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:17 pm

EDC wrote:What happens to Devils Lake with their 650 some high school students if St Marys (340 some students) or Shanley (320 students) or Wahpeton (500 some students) decide to drop down in football?

Not a darn thing. DL was allowed to move down because nobody else wanted too. I think any other teams that want to move down will have to bite the bullet until the divisions are redone.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:59 pm

Just wondering, assuming DL has the biggest enrollment in this class, who is the closest to DL? Hoopster has DL at 650 kids in highschool. What is the next closest? 500? 450? 400? 350? Who would that be?
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Claz B Fan » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:24 pm

Some of the school are close to 300 I think with Central Cass, Hazen, and Minot Ryan
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hp fan » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:06 pm

Each school is different and If they were given the opportunity and thought that was best for thier school and program, then more power to them. I just wish that some of these schools would take a look at the Shanley approach. I heard their coaches/AD's say something like; We are going to play in the top class because it makes us work harder to be the best we can be. They relish that role and probably produce student athletes that know more about dedication and hard work. Just my 2 cents.
hp fan

Postby Ming01 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:38 am

hockeyfan02 wrote:I have to make a correction. http://www.in-forum.com said today that devils lake has 580 kids, quite a diffrence from 700. Whapeton breeds football, their hockey teams arnt strong, I havent heard of anything from basketball or cross country, maybe im wrong. Its like grafton in hockey. Shanley is allowed to recruit, but they would be better off in AA because they are weak as well. How many players leave public schools to play football at shanely? I would be suprised if they number was even 1. I cannot comment on St. Marys because I am unfamiliar with their program.

What hurts St, Mary's quite a bit is that their a big soccer school...
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball4life » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:46 pm

Claz B Fan wrote:Some of the school are close to 300 I think with Central Cass, Hazen, and Minot Ryan

I can gurantee ryan isnt even close to Devils lake, ryan has something like 180 9-12, so they arent even close, ryan is actually one of the smaller schools and their enrollment says they should be class A. Ryan petitioned back up to AA... finally just a note of interest there are 16 class A schools bigger then Ryan.

I am betting that after next year Devils lake will be back up at the AAA level.
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby stud515 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:59 am

Just because Devils Lake has "so many kids" doesn't mean that everyone tries out for football. The reason why the number of football players lined up on Devils Lake's side is "large" is because of a bus full of freshman boys brought to every game to make the team look bigger - None of them play.

I believe that next football season is going to be a different story for the Firebirds.... they will doubtfully (but possibly could... with a miracle) make it half as far as they did this year.
stud515

Postby baseball4life » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:45 pm

stud515 wrote:Just because Devils Lake has "so many kids" doesn't mean that everyone tries out for football. The reason why the number of football players lined up on Devils Lake's side is "large" is because of a bus full of freshman boys brought to every game to make the team look bigger - None of them play.

I believe that next football season is going to be a different story for the Firebirds.... they will doubtfully (but possibly could... with a miracle) make it half as far as they did this year.

But it does mean that they have the numbers to be AAA, and they had ALOT of good juniors on this years team.
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby tommykramer » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:53 pm

If you have access to around 300 males you should be able to find 30 or so that will make you competitive at any level in N.D.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball4life » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:03 pm

[quote="tommykramer"]If you have access to around 300 males you should be able to find 30 or so that will make you competitive at any level in N.D.[/quot

Very Nicely said. i would imagine 30 people could commit to football in offseasons and be competitive
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 666 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:37 pm

baseball4life wrote:
tommykramer wrote:If you have access to around 300 males you should be able to find 30 or so that will make you competitive at any level in N.D.[/quot

Very Nicely said. i would imagine 30 people could commit to football in offseasons and be competitive

But im sure those same 30 kinds have to deal with other sports because im sure those 30 kids are the ones who compete in all the sports too such as basketball hockey wrestling baseball and track so they dont just commit to football they have to try to juggle all of their sports. Being AAA i know there are kids who just go out for ONE sport but there are also those who do multiple too. But those are the cream of the crop athletes.

Postby tommykramer » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:08 pm

But im sure those same 30 kinds have to deal with other sports because im sure those 30 kids are the ones who compete in all the sports too such as basketball hockey wrestling baseball and track so they dont just commit to football they have to try to juggle all of their sports. Being AAA i know there are kids who just go out for ONE sport but there are also those who do multiple too. But those are the cream of the crop athletes.[/quote]

You still have 300 males to choose from. Heck 9 man schools have less than 50 males to pick from and still somehow are able to compete. I respect your opinion but do not agree. A school that size should be able to compete in ND at any level. Fargo South has plenty of multiple sport athletes, and I don't hear them using it as an excuse.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby EDC » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:22 pm

hp fan wrote:Each school is different and If they were given the opportunity and thought that was best for thier school and program, then more power to them. I just wish that some of these schools would take a look at the Shanley approach. I heard their coaches/AD's say something like; We are going to play in the top class because it makes us work harder to be the best we can be. They relish that role and probably produce student athletes that know more about dedication and hard work. Just my 2 cents.

Age old problem about enrollment cut-offs. The bigger schools should always finish in the upper half. Smaller schools hope to be in the hunt every other third year or so. No use complaining if you are the small school. Most supporters of the bigger schools realize they have an advantage in enrollment and usually in coaches and facilities. Too bad you have a few vocal bigger school supporters who ignore this and come across as superior. Just smile because it makes it so sweet that third year.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Splitend08 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:50 pm

Just so u know DL didnt have a choice to move down. Turtle lake who moved up (which was not a wise thing by the board) and a school had to move down. it happened the DL was the smallest school in AAA for football that accepted to move. Schools can deny moving and DL said u kno someone has to and so we will and took it. They didnt make the call to move down so they could win more it was a higher powers decision. I think it actually fueled teams as example OG to beat them since they did come from AAA last year.
Splitend08

Next

Return to AA