Hi-Liner coaching situation

The teams in Class AA.

Postby fbinnd » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:23 pm

Most everyone has heard that Dave Corwin threw in the towel this winter.   But it looks like he's hanging around the team.  Word is that he will be brought back by the new head coach as an assistant.

Just to ask:  How many in here think it's a bad idea for a coach that resigned under pressure to be back on the team as an assistant?  Good for transition or confusing to the players as to who's in charge?
fbinnd

Postby point/center » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:15 pm

nothing in VC surprises me anymore....nothing. maybe they're waiting to put Chuck Norris on the coaching staff?
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:34 pm

Who is the new HC?  And since they haven't advertised any teaching positions I would guess it is just a staff suffle????????  I think it could be a good place to coach and teach, but then again they have a deep whole to get out of.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:37 pm

they brougth in four last week to interview. one is a former VCSU FB player that is coaching HS in MN. Can't remember the others, nothing to earth shaking. who would want to take over that mess? Chuck Norris? yeah, if he was coach VC would support a one class system and it would have a Chuck and a Norris conference and Chuck would win both of them. and everyone there would say Jeff who?

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:19 am

fbinnd wrote:Most everyone has heard that Dave Corwin threw in the towel this winter.   But it looks like he's hanging around the team.  Word is that he will be brought back by the new head coach as an assistant.

Just to ask:  How many in here think it's a bad idea for a coach that resigned under pressure to be back on the team as an assistant?  Good for transition or confusing to the players as to who's in charge?

I think it would be very uncomfortable for the new coach, parents, players, and community.

I do not feel a head coach who leads a team with the second highest enrolment in AA football to a 0-9 record does not have anything to bring to the table to turn around a program.

Valley City desperately needs a winner to help them get out of the slump they are in and football would be the place to start, I do not think that keeping the former coach would help matters any.

Anything that goes wrong will come full circle and will be blamed on the former coach.

Losing makes for hate and discontent and unfortunately finger pointing happens.

If they would hire a new coach and start fresh I think people would be more forgiving during the ups and downs while the new coach gets settled.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfootballwrestling » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:32 am

I have to agree with GridIron Guru here Corwin has no business being a part of this team anymore.  What the heck has he got to offer? Last year before football started he didn't want to coach they "Made" him, now he wants  to be an asst. coach. Break free from the clutches of Cruchet and get it over with. The kids dont like losing every game, and as my son says there is only four or five plays atleast it was more enthusiastic  in Thunder football for plays.

Put it this way within the next few years if Valley City cant win some ball games with the groups of kids coming up ya know its one pathetic situation. Even more unbelievably pathetic than it is now. :(
ndfootballwrestling

Postby ndfootballwrestling » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:14 pm

Valley City has named Scott Roehrich the new head coach for football. Should do alright I guess he can't do worse. Unless he decides to have Corwin for an asst. coach.

Scott is the old Freshman football head coach from VC, for those who may not have known. He also had coached in Colorado and somewhere else it said in the Times record.:)
ndfootballwrestling

Postby fan1234 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:03 am

The rumblings are that, even though there has been talk about how much the community is against Corwin being an assistant, he will be made one afterall.  It's tough to imagine a worse scenario.  The kids completely confused as to how is in charge.  The precedent being set that there is no emphasis on wins and losses. 

A coaching change is supposed to mean a fresh start.  If Roehrich agrees to keep Corwin as an assistant, his reign as head coach starts with intense baggage.  Roehrich is moving up from the freshman team.  Perhaps the freshman vacancy is the right position for Corwin.  The varsity isn't.
fan1234
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndfootballwrestling » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:28 pm

fan1234 wrote:The rumblings are that, even though there has been talk about how much the community is against Corwin being an assistant, he will be made one afterall.  It's tough to imagine a worse scenario.  The kids completely confused as to how is in charge.  The precedent being set that there is no emphasis on wins and losses. 

A coaching change is supposed to mean a fresh start.  If Roehrich agrees to keep Corwin as an assistant, his reign as head coach starts with intense baggage.  Roehrich is moving up from the freshman team.  Perhaps the freshman vacancy is the right position for Corwin.  The varsity isn't.

Very good point if Corwin isn't for the varsity team then drop him to the freshman team. Roehrich shouldn't like the beginning of his tenure as varsity head coach already under these circumstances.

Its not good footings for any new foundation to build on why move an ex-head coach to asst coach. These kids arent going to be confused by this move after all this is Valley City's confort zone. Losing has become a fact of life for these kids and the coaches could care less. Thats the big problem in Valley City. PATHETIC!!!!!:X 
ndfootballwrestling

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:18 am

Last years 0-9 season had to be the biggest slap in the face coaching debacle I have ever seen.

I have seen 0-9 teams before, believe me the athletes for Valley City did not warrant an 0-9 season!

If the administration allows the former head coach back on as an assistant they deserve everything they have coming to them at the expense of the young men who this should be all about.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:58 am

at the risk of sounding to p/c. VC Hi-Liners in most sports have a huge upside. how can they NOT improve?

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby nodak » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:15 am

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:Last years 0-9 season had to be the biggest slap in the face coaching debacle I have ever seen.

I have seen 0-9 teams before, believe me the athletes for Valley City did not warrant an 0-9 season!

If the administration allows the former head coach back on as an assistant they deserve everything they have coming to them at the expense of the young men who this should be all about.

I agree with everything you said in that post except for the point about Valley City athletes not deserving an 0-9 season.  From what I saw, a lot of those kids (not all) put in very little time in the offseason.  VCHS couldn't even get a team together for the VCSU team camp (something that they have played in for quite a few years before that).  The games I saw them play, they got out-worked badly.  Even Central Cass outworked and outhit them.  They had no-size up front, and it doesn't look like it is going to get any better next year.  The seniors last year had to be the biggest group of over-hyped kids in that town's history.  They went 0-9 in football, including a loss to CC.  In basketball, they went 4-15 with 3 losses to class B schools.  This was with a coach that was pretty much hand-picked by the parents.  There are a lot of problems with VC's sports, and it starts at the top.  They would have been much better off hiring someone with no ties to the program to rebuild the football team.  The future looks pretty bleak for Hiliner sports.
nodak
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fbinnd » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:11 am

I'm wondering when you saw the Hi-Liners play.  Tough to argue with many of your points, but they did have size up front.  It just didn't look like it, which is one of the issues with the program.  Their line was usually bigger than the opposition they faced, but there was no physicality to it.  So I can't blame you for not seeing size up front.  It was there, however.

One of the reasons they didn't play in the team camp is because the team had it's own camp put on by some coaches from Minnesota-Crookston and Jamestown College.  I'm sure the Valley City residents really appreciated coaches from Crookston and Jamestown coming to Valley City to coach their kids, when there happens to be a team camp to go to on the south side of town.  And VCSU was ready to give the Hi-Liners a break on price, just because of the hometown atmosphere.
fbinnd

Postby ndfootballwrestling » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:26 pm

fbinnd wrote:I'm wondering when you saw the Hi-Liners play.  Tough to argue with many of your points, but they did have size up front.  It just didn't look like it, which is one of the issues with the program.  Their line was usually bigger than the opposition they faced, but there was no physicality to it.  So I can't blame you for not seeing size up front.  It was there, however.

One of the reasons they didn't play in the team camp is because the team had it's own camp put on by some coaches from Minnesota-Crookston and Jamestown College.  I'm sure the Valley City residents really appreciated coaches from Crookston and Jamestown coming to Valley City to coach their kids, when there happens to be a team camp to go to on the south side of town.  And VCSU was ready to give the Hi-Liners a break on price, just because of the hometown atmosphere.

I know for a fact that for the last couple of years our underclassman had wanted to do the camp but couldnt. Because the upperclassman werent taking part in the camp. We've got a bunch of mommas boys for lineman and there ego gets in the way of team unity. We need to have cohesion and teamwork but if a coach cant coach a team and make them work together were not going to get any better.

Which is pathetic considering the work our Thunder coaches have put in to these kids. Our Thunder coaches need to be a part of the Varsity coaching staff or find something to get the team to work together.

Good luck to the new coach and hopefully he can make his own decision on who his asst. coach is.  
ndfootballwrestling

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:28 am

Here is my hope for the Highliners,

Right now they are at a cross roads with the football program, I would hope that the new head coach will have the courage to move the team ahead without the former head coach. And I would hope that the athletic director and administration would have the courage to allow him to do so.

The Highliners need to bury the past with a shovel and then bury the shovel. They need to move ahead and be positive and get past being the laughing stock of high school sports in North Dakota.

The only way this will happen is without the former head coach.
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mailman_25 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:53 am

I think everyone in VC is under the perception that their "Thunder" program is so good, and that their success is guaranteed in High School. We're talking about 5th and 6th graders!

I remember when VC went Class AA in the late 90's and there was quotes from the AD and Corwin (on the radio none less) saying how they were going to stomp on the AA teams. Sure worked out for them.

I do feel sorry for VC, because they are stuck in the middle in terms of enrollment. But my point is, they don't exactly make it easy on themselves either.
Mailman_25
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:50 am

Mailman_25 wrote:I think everyone in VC is under the perception that their "Thunder" program is so good, and that their success is guaranteed in High School. We're talking about 5th and 6th graders!

I remember when VC went Class AA in the late 90's and there was quotes from the AD and Corwin (on the radio none less) saying how they were going to stomp on the AA teams. Sure worked out for them.

I do feel sorry for VC, because they are stuck in the middle in terms of enrollment. But my point is, they don't exactly make it easy on themselves either.

i think that is why no one feels sorry for valley city. i still remember those comments and because of them have very little sympathy for corwin's or the school's situation.

karma and all of that.
rep

Postby ndfootballwrestling » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:21 pm

[user=2203]Mailman_25[/user] wrote:

I remember when VC went Class AA in the late 90's and there was quotes from the AD and Corwin (on the radio none less) saying how they were going to stomp on the AA teams.

Right there when youve got two grown men and supposedly well educated going on the local radio saying they would be "stomping" the AA schools. Everyone with an IQ over 25 should know they are listening to a couple of idiots.

For crying out loud Corwin cant coach his way into a bowl game. Then youve got the AD Cruchet he has no concern whatsoever for the sports programs in Valley City all he wants is his golf game and lake cabin. Too bad he's not interested in our schools future, considering there is finally some young people to help vote for the new gymnasium in Valley City.
ndfootballwrestling

Return to AA