Runner-Up: Bismarck St. Mary's (9-2)

Senior Athlete of the Year: Haley Bucholz, Shanley
Coach of the Year: Scott Roehrich, Valley City
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby ClemsonTigers » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:56 am

Saturday, October 27th
G1: #5 Devils Lake (4-5) @ #4 Jamestown (6-3)
G2: #6 Turtle Mountain (4-5) @ #3 Central Cass (7-2)

Saturday, November 3rd
G3: #4 Jamestown (6-3) @ #1 Shanley (9-0)
G4: #3 Central Cass (7-2) @ #2 Bismarck St. Mary's (8-1)

Friday, November 9th
CHAMPIONSHIP: #1 Shanley (9-0) vs. #2 Bismarck St. Mary's (8-1)

How think it will play out if everyone stays healthy. If there is any injuries it could change.
ClemsonTigers
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sniper » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:33 am

G1: #5 (5) Devils Lake (4-5) @ #4 (4) Jamestown (6-3)
G2: #6 Turtle Mountain (4-5) @ #3 (3) Central Cass (7-2)
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby summer2018 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:53 am

ClemsonTigers wrote:Saturday, October 27th
G1: #5 Devils Lake (4-5) @ #4 Jamestown (6-3)
G2: #6 Turtle Mountain (4-5) @ #3 Central Cass (7-2)

Saturday, November 3rd
G3: #4 Jamestown (6-3) @ #1 Shanley (9-0)
G4: #3 Central Cass (7-2) @ #2 Bismarck St. Mary's (8-1)

Friday, November 9th
CHAMPIONSHIP: #1 Shanley (9-0) vs. #2 Bismarck St. Mary's (8-1)

How think it will play out if everyone stays healthy. If there is any injuries it could change.

I think the expectation is Shanley and St. Marys will be in the finals.

But a couple of things that could get into the way of those plans.

Jamestown and Devils Lake are both bigger on the lines then Shanley. They could control the game and tempo by running the ball. Devils Lake did that last weekend, was only down 7-0 at half. Kept the ball out of Shanley's hands. Two short fields for Shanley in the 2nd half led the score to 21 -0. Stats were very close. 2 Devils Lake turnovers were a big impact.

Jamestown and Shanley, 1 point game early with James at the 5 yard line when time ran out on a hail mary. Jamestown controlled the Shanley run, but not the big play. Shanley had 4 of them over 70 yards. I would not expect that again in the cooler weather. I wouldn't expect Shanley to give up 2 pick sixes like they did in the opening game either.

In either case though, I could see shanley losing if they get into a physical contest, but Jamestown or Devils Lake still needs to execute and score. Neither did when they played early in the year. Shanley has a lot of options and speed, plus they have been expanding their running game. So Shanley wins the semis. 28 to 7

St. Mary's and Casselton. If the weather is calm Casselton has a chance with their two many wrecking crew, QB , WR combo. That really is the only way the win. St. Mary's had five turnovers in Casselton and Still one. Cass passing game wasn't connecting. They don't have a running attack.

Cass hasn't never won a big game (this group) so it will be tough for them to win on the road. Like Shanley St. Marys is well coached. Limit mistakes and they win 28 to 14.
summer2018
NDPreps Reserve

Postby summer2018 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:55 am

As for injuries. Aside from the previous season ending injuries Shanley has dealt with, they are healthly with the group they have been playing with the last 3 weeks.
summer2018
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gobison#6 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:21 pm

Central Cass defeated Turtle Mountain 30-8 to advance and face St. Mary's next week.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sorenson23 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:00 pm

Semi-Final & Championship predictions

Shanley vs St. Mary's

Championship game

Bismarck St. Mary's wins the rematch
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby summer2018 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:44 am

Semi Finals- Jamestown if plays ball control can keeps Shanley offense off the field they can win this game. But going with Shanley, too much speed, and diversified offense. Jamestown is one dimensional.

St. Mary's / Cass- Weather may not be good for Cass' passing game. St. Marys.

Championship Game- Indoors, better match up Shanley then their semi final game against Jamestown.

Mason Speiss, one of St. Mary's top 2 players may not play.

Shanley's starting qb is 2 and 0 against St. Mary's ( championship game last year, Shanley tried to use 2 qb's. Didnt work).

Expect a tract meet from Shanley. 28 to 14.
summer2018
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sniper » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:41 am

Saturday, November 3rd
G3: #4 Jamestown (7-3) @ #1 (1) Shanley (9-0)
G4: #3 (3) Central Cass (8-2) @ #2 (2) Bismarck St. Mary's (8-1)
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:57 am

Shanley
Central Cass
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby 5-time state chump » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:12 am

Tons of posts on A and 9-man board.

No one seems to give a rats **s on the the AA Championship game. Understandable.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ND Sports Fan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:55 pm

5-time state chump wrote:Tons of posts on A and 9-man board.

No one seems to give a rats **s on the the AA Championship game. Understandable.

Unless you are an alum or a relative of a player of one of these schools, most people's rooting interest in this game comes down to, "which team to I dislike the least". That is unfortunate for the kids who are giving there best effort during the game, but I believe this is the culture created by the private school inclusion in lower level classification for athletics.

Is it time for a Parochial Division in ALL sports??
ND Sports Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:57 pm

It's the nature of the AAA & AA playoffs/season...not many posts in comparison to Class A & 9-man. Most of the posters on this site are from Class B schools/towns; so it does not shock me.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby summer2018 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:46 pm

Lack of activity is probably due to the fact few thought it would be anyone besides Shanley and St. Mary's in the finals this year.

I would expect a track meet. Both teams have speed and neither has a size advantage. Jamestown for example was a lot bigger than Shanley weight wise, Shanley has just faster and didn't make mistakes.

Both teams will try to get to speed guys in space, Shanley will throw more this weekend since they are inside.

Shanley won the turnover battle when they played St. Mary's earlier. Have not turned the ball over in 4 games. Playing well and relatively mistake free. No quarterback issues this year. Shanley has one quarterback this year and he has been spot on with decision making. Run versus pitch, pass verus hold the ball.

31 to 21 Shanley in fun fast pace game.
summer2018
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:55 pm

ND Sports Fan wrote:

Unless you are an alum or a relative of a player of one of these schools, most people's rooting interest in this game comes down to, "which team to I dislike the least". That is unfortunate for the kids who are giving there best effort during the game, but I believe this is the culture created by the private school inclusion in lower level classification for athletics.

I don't necessarily agree with the Parochial Division, but the rest of your post is probably very accurate.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:04 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
ND Sports Fan wrote:

I don't necessarily agree with the Parochial Division, but the rest of your post is probably very accurate.

No More parochial schools in 9-man...so everyone got that wish. Shiloh, OG, Ryan/ORCS & DT (opt up) are in Class A, St. Mary's in AA and Shanley in AAA for 2019 & 2020
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sniper » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:32 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:
ND Sports Fan wrote:

No More parochial schools in 9-man...so everyone got that wish. Shiloh, OG, Ryan/ORCS & DT (opt up) are in Class A, St. Mary's in AA and Shanley in AAA for 2019 & 2020

I would still like to see them be required to play one class above where their enrollment places them. So in A you would have DT, in AA there would be Shiloh, OG, Ryan/ORCS, and in AAA St. Mary's and Shanley. I think all of these schools would still be competitive playing one class up, just not to the extent that St. Mary's and Shanley have been dominating AA lately.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:23 am

Sniper wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:
ND Sports Fan wrote:

I would still like to see them be required to play one class above where their enrollment places them. So in A you would have DT, in AA there would be Shiloh, OG, Ryan/ORCS, and in AAA St. Mary's and Shanley. I think all of these schools would still be competitive playing one class up, just not to the extent that St. Mary's and Shanley have been dominating AA lately.

OG would get murdered in AA with their 18 man team...but hey that’s what everyone on here wants. Want a similarity to this...look at their last two seasons of being AA when PC left them.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sniper » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:40 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Sniper wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:
ND Sports Fan wrote:

OG would get murdered in AA with their 18 man team...but hey that’s what everyone on here wants. Want a similarity to this...look at their last two seasons of being AA when PC left them.

Someone has to get the short end of the stick in every plan. Yes, most of the state, basically everyone that did not attend or have a connection with a private school, wants them to move up. My guess is that most of the state is sick of them dominating (more so in basketball) and feels they have an unfair advantage. Also does not help them become any less hated when one of them (cough cough Shiloh) goes on a string of having talented athletes transfer into their football and basketball programs, and maybe their current team has all attended the school for awhile but I know in recent years that is not true.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby ND Sports Fan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:09 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Sniper wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:
ND Sports Fan wrote:

There are a lot of teams that got "murdered" in AA this year. The difference is, the private schools have no borders to contend with to fill those holes. I understand open enrollment is available to anyone. But it is no secret the manner in which the private schools exploit the lack of borders to conveniently find what they need. This is not a criticism of the student-athletes or the quality of the programs or schools themselves. It is just a simple fact of the advantage they have in those situations that public schools do not have. They would be less anxiety about this publicly if people would simply acknowledging the process. I am not even convinced that I believe it is so terribly wrong, but I am convinced that it's wrong to ignore the fact that it exists when you are the benefactor of the process.
ND Sports Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby magic man » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:25 pm

If they would approve the private schools to offer sports scholarships and not have the same transfer rules as the as the rest of the Fargo public schools, I think those private schools in Fargo would sign up for playing up a class..

Get it signed Sniper and ND Sports Fan..
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sniper » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:43 pm

magic man wrote:If they would approve the private schools to offer sports scholarships and not have the same transfer rules as the as the rest of the Fargo public schools, I think those private schools in Fargo would sign up for playing up a class..

One of the Bismarck schools has gotten a decent amount of transfers in the past years (that happen to be athletes) while having the same transfer rules as everyone else. Also we do not expect the private schools to want to play up a class, why would they? They would lose their advantages over the small schools and would basically flip roles and not be the top dog in terms of advantages anymore.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby magic man » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:58 pm

I don't speak for Bismarck, I only know about the Fargo area..

You do that of which I mentioned, and I'm sure the private schools will kindly go up a class.

Also, if small towns have more than 2 co-op schools, then they should go up as well.

And what about those schools like Northern Cass, Central Cass, and Kindred that are like suburbs of that metropolis of Fargo??

Shouldn't they be looked at the same way you do other public schools that are that close to such a large metropolis like Fargo? They shouldn't be allowed to play with the class B schools either.

Sniper wrote:
magic man wrote:If they would approve the private schools to offer sports scholarships and not have the same transfer rules as the as the rest of the Fargo public schools, I think those private schools in Fargo would sign up for playing up a class..

One of the Bismarck schools has gotten a decent amount of transfers in the past years (that happen to be athletes) while having the same transfer rules as everyone else. Also we do not expect the private schools to want to play up a class, why would they? They would lose their advantages over the small schools and would basically flip roles and not be the top dog in terms of advantages anymore.
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND Sports Fan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:05 pm

You will have to explain what you mean by this. I do not know what you're talking about. As I read it, you would like some sort of governance action blessing what the private schools are currently doing. Offering Sports scholarships, although they don't officially call them that, and having the same transfer rules as public schools. What transfer rules are you talking about? What you are asking for is EXACTLY what is providing the private schools their advantage right now.
ND Sports Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby magic man » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:17 pm

ND Sports Fan wrote:

You will have to explain what you mean by this. I do not know what you're talking about. As I read it, you would like some sort of governance action blessing what the private schools are currently doing. Offering Sports scholarships, although they don't officially call them that, and having the same transfer rules as public schools. What transfer rules are you talking about? What you are asking for is EXACTLY what is providing the private schools their advantage right now.

To Correct you.
1) The private schools that I know about, in Fargo, do not offer Sports Scholarships..
2) Transfer rules.. You cannot transfer from a public HS to a private HS without sitting out a year, unless there is some kind of hardship that has to be approved by the NDHSAA.

If you think differently, prove it. Instead of talking about it, name names..
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to AA