Playoff player limits!!!

The teams in Class AA.

Playoff player limits!!!

Postby TheSportTruth » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:43 am

I am curious to know from the passionate football fans that read these threads if you think having playoff player limits is a good thing....or something that needs to be changed back to if you practiced you went with.

Per NDHSAA regulations:

9-man is allowed only 40 players to dress.
A- is allowed only 50 players to dress.
AA- is allowed only 55 players to dress.
AAA- is allowed only 60 players to dress.

Now these limits do not come into affect for all schools, but they do come into affect for some schools at all levels. There will be that kid or kids that practiced all year but will be denied the experience of the playoffs do to this rule. Or is it a good idea to only bring only what you might need and help lower the cost for the NDHSAA and the participating schools.

Thanks to all those that share an opinion.
Shawn Sanford
Demon fan since 1982
TheSportTruth
NDPreps Starter

Re: Playoff player limits!!!

Postby magic man » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:49 am

My first question would be, what cost does it have to the NDHSAA? If it's only minimal, and the schools are the ones covering the majority of costs, then I'd say to let the schools decide how many kids they should bring.
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby In_the_Know » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:46 am

I don't see how this would affect most football teams. 55 players is a lot of players to dress in the 2A. Even 60 players is quite a lot for the 3A considering most of the 3A schools varsity programs are seniors and juniors.

I do think you are right though. Why limit who can dress in the play offs if it isn't an expense to the NDHSAA?
In_the_Know
NDPreps Reserve

Postby TheSportTruth » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:04 pm

In visiting with a number of coaches, it seems to affect the 3A teams, as I have not heard of any schools 2A or smaller having to "cut" players for the playoffs. BHS as an example had to tell 20+ of their kids that they are no longer part of the team for the playoffs. Same kids that went to camp, practiced in the heat, the cold, ran the same sprints, and generally gave the same team effort as those that get to dress for the playoffs. Century "cut" a number of kids and I was told by a high school friend that Minot also had to "cut" kids from the playoff team. My guess is that there is probably a couple of East teams that "cut" as well. All do to the NDHSAA regulations. NDHSAA hardly seems very team supportive to me.
Shawn Sanford
Demon fan since 1982
TheSportTruth
NDPreps Starter

Postby MSUBeaverfever » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:10 pm

Limits (along with almost all decisions) are made by the NDHSAA on recommendations by the Districts Chairs, coaches advisory committees, Class A review, athletic review, tournament management, Board sub-committees and then finally the NDHSAA board. To call out the NDHSAA is incorrect. The NDHSAA board makes their decisions based on information and such from the previous mentioned committees. I suggest calling your local activities director and finding out the real scoop on many of the questions that are asked. There is a reason for limits. Just like basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball and others have limits. Maybe the member schools were wondering why the baseball coach is bringing 37 baseball players to the State and they have to put them up in a room for three nights when only 9-12 will be playing? Somewhere/sometime ago this happened in an activity so that is why the limits began to be discussed and evolved into what the membership has agreed upon. If the membership wanted it to be unlimited it would be, talk to your Activities Director and ask them to follow the protocol on making changes. Sometimes the NDHSAA is the one that takes the bullet for decisions that should be made locally. Minot High had around 55 FB players on their playoff roster with no "cuts".
MSUBeaverfever
NDPreps Rookie

Postby BHS7783 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:39 pm

In visiting with a number of coaches, it seems to affect the 3A teams, as I have not heard of any schools 2A or smaller having to "cut" players for the playoffs. BHS as an example had to tell 20+ of their kids that they are no longer part of the team for the playoffs. Same kids that went to camp, practiced in the heat, the cold, ran the same sprints, and generally gave the same team effort as those that get to dress for the playoffs. Century "cut" a number of kids and I was told by a high school friend that Minot also had to "cut" kids from the playoff team. My guess is that there is probably a couple of East teams that "cut" as well. All do to the NDHSAA regulations. NDHSAA hardly seems very team supportive to me.

The limits are in place for simple business decisions. Costs associated to the playoffs, trophies hotel rooms busing ETC. While most schools don't have the numbers to reach the limits there are some that could. BHS CHS Minot West Fargo and maybe a couple of others.
Bismarck Public Schools have a NO CUT policy for outdoor sports, meaning everyone that wants to participate can. BHS and CHS numbers are always huge and that drives their continued success. BUT when it comes playoff time they do need to trim the numbers. I do find it strange a School the size of Minot does not have the same problems, they only had 55 on their roster to begin with!!!!!
Neither BHS or CHS carry Freshman on their regular season rosters normally unless they have a superstar.

BHS Listed 80 on the regular season Roster. Sr18 Jr26 Sophomore 36 (Freshman 31)
CHS Listed 83 on the regular season Roster. Sr33 Jr19 Sophomore 31 ( Freshman 37)

CHS listed NO Freshman on the Playoff Roster
BHS listed 5 or 6 Freshman on their Playoff Roster

My guess is the coaches had to trim Sophomore classes the most. But the sad part is the BHS brought up the Freshman to fill the slots. Now I know that some kids quit, get injured, failing grades, or are simply tired of not getting to play at the end of the season.

It is a tough pill to swallow when you have been a part of the team all season and you get "Cut" or "Trimmed" off the Roster for the playoffs(especially if they make room for Freshman). I highly doubt the coaches "trimmed" the better players in each of their respective programs.
I am guessing the Velvas and the Bishop Ryans that all choose to play UP a class would love to have these problems......
Bismarck Public Schools creates their own issues here....cut at the start of the season or cut at the end. I like the fact they allow everyone to participate, they get to see more kids in action.
BHS7783
NDPreps Rookie

Return to AA