Rivals

The teams in Class AA.

Postby Double G » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:10 pm

I just watched the amazing game between hazen and beulah. Wow! Lots of intensity and emotion. Hard hitting and play making.

Hazen won 20-14. It was tied 8-8 at half and bison scored 2 more for the win.

My question is, is there any other teams that have a huge game every year that brings out the big hits?
Double G
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Notorious » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:38 am

With class changes and coops, there are fewer long-standing rivalries.  There have to still be quite a few that exist though.  Who are bigtime rivals and why?  I'd love to hear some interesting insight.
Notorious
NDPreps Starter

Postby the low down » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:00 pm

Ryan and Velva have a good thing going in their game that opens up the season.  There are a lot of reasons why this is a good rivalry; Geography (schools separated by 20 miles) and Tradition being major reasons. Familiarity with the other side for both players and fans could be another reason.  

Hazen and Beulah just may be the best rivalry game in any division. 
the low down
NDPreps Starter

Postby propel23 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:57 pm

Minot Ryan and Des Lacs Burlington used to be a good rivalry game in football when they used to play eachother until DLB moved down a class
propel23

Postby showtime » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:25 pm

By far the Hazen and Beulah game is the biggest in the state.  Where else do you have anywhere between 4 to 6 thousand show up to a game where the two towns have a combined population of maybe 8 thousand.  Where no matter how good or bad either team is doing both play like it is the state championship game.
showtime
NDPreps Reserve

Postby mwall30 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:10 am

I'm from the eastern part of the state and we even hear about the coal bowl.  In High school football there is no bigger game than that.  I have never been there to even see a game but by the popularity the biggest rivalry in high school football is Hazen vs. Beulah
mwall30
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:40 pm

When I was in college I had a friend from Hazen and when I would introduce him to people I would tell them he was from Beulah, and it would drive him nuts.

that is a great rivalry.

I know Tolna and Lakota had a bitter rivlary in the past and I am sure now that Tolna is with Dakota Prairie it is still a pretty intense battle in Nelson county.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ping Pong » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:57 pm

has everyone forgot about the Trinty/Hazen rivalry? in my opinion, that has to be one of the biggest in the state. just because Hazen and beulah are only miles apart, doesnt make them a huge rivalry
Ping Pong

Postby football#1 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:53 am

who do you think is devils lakes and Rugbys biggests rivalries next rear will be. even though its devils lakes 1st year in AA..right

football#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby DeuceTrey » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:02 pm

it will be interesting to see if DL develops any rivalries in the upcoming years due to the move. they didnt really have any major ones in AAA, but it would be fun to see one develop in AA.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby football#1 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:02 pm

you will see a major surprise from DL.Expecting almost a perfect season or heck may b one.they will be one of the tougher teams the only real close games will prolly be with dickinson,and hazen
football#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby coca cola » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:18 pm

[font=georgia]you sound pretty cocky there. devils lake didnt make a statement in AAA, what makes you think they will have a perfect season in AA? you dont hear of anyone from DL except when DL people like yourself talk themselves up[/font]
coca cola
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Double G » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:27 pm

ive attended different camps with kids from DL. They were no surprize. I'm not saying that those people were starters, but im saying you are under estimating AA football.

AA is highly compedative even if it is a rank down from DL. Also DL was failing bad in AAA.
Double G
NDPreps Reserve

Postby DeuceTrey » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:12 pm

first off, football#1 isnt even from DL, so its not like its someone from the team. it would be extremly surprising if they go undefeated, especially considering their schedule. they are a very young team that struggled in AAA, yes, but they started to come together at the end of the season, and showed some good signs for this up coming season. i would look for DL to compete for a playoff spot.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Unity77 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:48 am

DeuceTrey wrote:it will be interesting to see if DL develops any rivalries in the upcoming years due to the move. they didnt really have any major ones in AAA, but it would be fun to see one develop in AA.

The old Devils Lake - Grafton rivalry could start up again.  The two schools were once part of the old North Star conference and back then both had produced pretty solid teams and strong rivalries.
Unity77
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby DeuceTrey » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:10 pm

how does Graftons team look for next year? are they going to have a good team to revive the rivalry right away, or are they on a down year? i guess i dont know that much about AA football.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfootball06 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:29 pm

theyre coming off a 4-5 season, where almost all of their losses were close.  offensively they lost one lineman and one receiver, defensively they lost the same two, a tackle and a safety
ndfootball06
NDPreps Starter

Postby AAfootballfan » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:56 pm

football#1 wrote:you will see a major surprise from DL.Expecting almost a perfect season or heck may b one.they will be one of the tougher teams the only real close games will prolly be with dickinson,and hazen

So the game against Watford isn't gonna be close...I bet the wolves beat DL by 3 Touchdowns!
AAfootballfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby power-aid14 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:05 pm

Hazen and Minot Ryan seem to have a little rivalry becuz of the results of the football and basketball game between the two this year
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby CoachG » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:43 am

It will take a while for DL to obtain a rivalry. Rugby/Harvey is a huge game. But I agree that the biggest rival is probably Hazen/ Beulah.

Watford / Killdeer another one
CoachG
CoachG
NDPreps Reserve

Postby CoachG » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:44 am

Grafton has a very good team coming back. New coach last year, took the kids a while to adjust. Wide open attack.
CoachG
CoachG
NDPreps Reserve

Postby AAfootballfan » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:09 am

CoachG wrote:It will take a while for DL to obtain a rivalry. Rugby/Harvey is a huge game. But I agree that the biggest rival is probably Hazen/ Beulah.

Watford / Killdeer another one

I'm from Watford and people get way more into the Trinity game than any other all year long...always good to see the Wolves take down the Titans in any sport and that happened alot this past year!! Killdeer is a good game usually, but doesn't have the meaning of the Trinity game!
AAfootballfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to AA