Class AA Semifinal: Wahpeton @ Grafton

The teams in Class AA.

Re: Class AA Semifinal: Wahpeton @ Grafton

Postby old#63 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:43 pm

Wahpeton played well. They played the type of game I expected. Lots of off tackle runs and smash mouth football. They kept the clock running. Their secondary showed a lot of improvement since the first meeting of these teams. Honestly, they had Grafton pretty frustrated in the first half. Aside from an interception that Grafton ran back for a TD, I would say Wahpeton outplayed Grafton in the first half.

The amount of flags thrown in the game really affected both teams ability to gain any momentum. I don't know if this officiating crew was just calling it tight or what, but I'd like to see the number of penalized yards in the game going both ways. Seemed awfully excessive for a playoff game.

All in all, Grafton played good enough to win, but will need to give a lot better showing next weekend if they hope to win it all against Oksendal and the Deacons.
Last edited by old#63 on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:43 am

ndfan wrote:Grafton by 40

I'm gonna eat some Crow on this prediction I made, Wahpeton played a heck of a game today and gave Grafton its best game of the year so far. Best of luck to the spoilers next Friday!!!
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:39 am

thewanderer wrote:
old#63 wrote:Last time these two played it was in basically a hurricane wind. That should have played into Wahpeton's hands, but Grafton still won. Wahpeton has the type of game that can be trouble for a team like Grafton. They run the ball straight up and try to take 5 yards at a crack. Ball control. I think Grafton wins, but Wahpeton will hold it close. 28-6 Grafton.

old#63 you are to used to grafton winning by 40. any game that you win by 3 scores doesnt equate to a close game. lol. i do agree that Wahp was the team i least wanted to see in the semi's. i still think Grafton wins and i think you are spot on with the score. blow out, 28-6.lol. JMHO

Well it wasn't 3 scores, wanderer, but it was 2. And I'd say Wahp kept it close. :)
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby thewanderer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:16 pm

old#63 wrote:
thewanderer wrote:
old#63 wrote:Last time these two played it was in basically a hurricane wind. That should have played into Wahpeton's hands, but Grafton still won. Wahpeton has the type of game that can be trouble for a team like Grafton. They run the ball straight up and try to take 5 yards at a crack. Ball control. I think Grafton wins, but Wahpeton will hold it close. 28-6 Grafton.

old#63 you are to used to grafton winning by 40. any game that you win by 3 scores doesnt equate to a close game. lol. i do agree that Wahp was the team i least wanted to see in the semi's. i still think Grafton wins and i think you are spot on with the score. blow out, 28-6.lol. JMHO

Well it wasn't 3 scores, wanderer, but it was 2. And I'd say Wahp kept it close. :)

that was a close game. Wahpetons defense did a good job holdiing Graftons offense to 14 points. they were chasing jake around the backfield all day. i have new respect for how good they actually are. Grafton's defense ts the real deal. held wahp down all day. Grafton's descipline when it comes to penalties has been the only disappointment as of late. In a close game, this could be the difference between a win and a loss. Overall good outing for the spoilers other than too many penalties! JMHO
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby basketball9 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:09 pm

in my eyes there were 3 or 4 plays that played a major effect in the game. 1- a badly blown call where grafton fumbled around their own 25 yard line and the refs claimed that he was down...terrible call, i was standing right there and watched the ball fly out of his hand while he was in mid air. the next play was a 40 yard pass and a huge momentum swing. 2- a big play by grafton qb/wr to score a td with 6 seconds left in the half, and hats off to them for that because that was an impressive play. 3- lucky break for grafton when wahpeton threw for about a 60 yard td that was called back by a pre-snap penalty.
basketball9
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:13 pm

Grafton 20 Wahpeton 8

WAHPETON
RUSHING: Medhaug 27 carries for 95 yards and 1 TD; Gripentrog 6 carries for 16 yards; Lingen 4 carries for 11 yards.
PASSING: Kath 4-11 for 27 yards (2 INTs); Medhaug 0-2 for 0 yards (1 INT).
RECEIVING: Gilles 3 catches for 23 yards; Holkup 1 catch for 4 yards.

GRAFTON
RUSHING: Hanson 31 carries for 53 yards; Demers 3 carries for 16 yards; Suda 3 carries for 12 yards.
PASSING: Hanson 8-16 for 158 yards and 2 TDs.
RECEIVING: Jiskra 3 catches for 49 yards and 1 TD; Suda 3 catches for 31 yards and 1 TD; Lunde 2 catches for 78 yards.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Indy5 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:25 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Grafton 20 Wahpeton 8

WAHPETON
RUSHING: Medhaug 27 carries for 95 yards and 1 TD; Gripentrog 6 carries for 16 yards; Lingen 4 carries for 11 yards.

GRAFTON
RUSHING: Hanson 31 carries for 53 yards; Demers 3 carries for 16 yards; Suda 3 carries for 12 yards.
RECEIVING: Jiskra 3 catches for 49 yards and 1 TD; Suda 3 catches for 31 yards and 1 TD; Lunde 2 catches for 78 yards.

What happened to Burns? No carries?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:28 pm

Indy5 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:Grafton 20 Wahpeton 8

WAHPETON

GRAFTON

What happened to Burns? No carries?

He may have had carries...the newpapers (Grand Forks & Fargo) never seem to have all the stats in the paper/online.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby coolhandluke » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:07 pm

The whole season is done with. It's now onto the big show in the FARGODOME! Grafton is probably the best team in Class AA, I think they've proven that, but they have only passed the tests so far to get closer to their final goal, where nothing matters but a state championship! Shanley and their storied coach Oksendahl have been there, experience matters, anyone could win. Grafton though is where they wanted to be, in the championship game. They had a target on their backs for much of the season and perservered. Now, in my not so humble opinion, Grafton has the talent and will come out firing on all cylinders, loose as a goose, letting it all hang out, and finally bring the hardware back to Grafton. GO SPOILERS!
coolhandluke
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Iqr600 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:19 pm

The amount of flags thrown in the game really affected both teams ability to gain any momentum. I don't know if this officiating crew was just calling it tight or what, but I'd like to see the number of penalized yards in the game going both ways. Seemed awfully excessive for a playoff game.

if they had better refs wahp would of won that game!
Iqr600
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Linebacker48 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:42 pm

I played on Wahp's team this year, and that comment was unnecessary. Grafton beat us twice. No excuses.
Linebacker48
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to AA