Grafton vs. Wahpeton

The teams in Class AA.

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby thewanderer » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:56 pm

Well, it wont be two undefeated teams but it most likely will be for the east region championship. we actually could end up with three 6-1 teams. I dont want to get the cart ahead of the horse but lets say wahpeton defeats Grafton. there could be a 3 way tie for first with wahpeton, grafton and shanley, all with one win against another of the 3 teams. how would the region champs be decided?
Last edited by thewanderer on Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:36 am

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby bballfan7 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:06 pm

thewanderer wrote:Well, it wont me two undefeated teams but it most likely will be for the east region championship. we actually could end up with three 6-1 teams. I dont want to get the cart ahead of the horse but lets say wahpeton defeats Grafton. there could be a 3 way tie for first with wahpeton, grafton and shanley, all with one win against another of the 3 teams. how would the region champs be decided?


Im sure they use a point differential between the 3 teams tied with a max point differential of 17. So since the Grafton Shanley game was something like 48-14 (not sure on the exact score) Grafton would get +17 and Shanley would get -17. But Shanley beat Wahp by around 30 so they would get +17 and wahp would be at -17.

So as of now it looks like this with the Wahp-Grafton game left to play.
Grafton+17
Shanley 0
Wahp -17
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:22 pm

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby thewanderer » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:27 pm

bballfan7 wrote:
thewanderer wrote:Well, it wont me two undefeated teams but it most likely will be for the east region championship. we actually could end up with three 6-1 teams. I dont want to get the cart ahead of the horse but lets say wahpeton defeats Grafton. there could be a 3 way tie for first with wahpeton, grafton and shanley, all with one win against another of the 3 teams. how would the region champs be decided?


Im sure they use a point differential between the 3 teams tied with a max point differential of 17. So since the Grafton Shanley game was something like 48-14 (not sure on the exact score) Grafton would get +17 and Shanley would get -17. But Shanley beat Wahp by around 30 so they would get +17 and wahp would be at -17.

So as of now it looks like this with the Wahp-Grafton game left to play.
Grafton+17
Shanley 0
Wahp -17

lets say all three teams win out exept for a grafton loss toWahp. Grafton could lose by up to 16 and still win the east? Because both of the already played games were decided by more than the automaic cap of 17 point spread a loss by any number higher than 16 is automatically a three way tie in this scenario? i am just curious. i believe in grafton and i believe they will pull off the victory. this does make for an intersting region champ scenario. JMHO
User avatar
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:36 am

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby rkmt » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:30 pm

Exactly. Furthermore, the point differential just pulls out the top team, and then the remaining two are decided by their head-to-head result for #2 and #3.

Grafton really is in good shape with this system. Even they would lose to Wahp, they would still be the #1 if it was by 16 or less. If Wahp can win by 17 or more, all teams would go to 0 and then they'd be thrown into a hat and the #1 seed would be drawn out and then head-to-head would determine #2 and #3.
User avatar
rkmt
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:01 am

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby thewanderer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:31 pm

thewanderer wrote:
basketball9 wrote:Just using one example here, the first game of the year Wahpeton traveled to Bismarck (over 3 hours on a bus) while bismarck was #2 in the state and Wahpeton won the game, despite everyone saying that they were going to have a terrible year. I think once the playoffs start the players know that it's single elimination and they are gonna show up to play from start to finish no matter whose field they're on.

basketball9, the main hype that got this thread going was the fact that both teams were 4-0 a week ago. there was a percieved build up to two undefeated east teams meeting to dicide the east region. Wahpeton lost. Grafton could lose as well. Every game is important in a 9 game season. Home field is important! i am sure it will be a great game in two weeks in Grafton and i am darn glad Grafton is as home. JMHO




basketball9,
just curious. do you still think that home field doesnt matter? If so, i am sure you are happy to be heading up to grafton. Maybe you can stop by my house for a cocktail after the game. Seriously now, good luck to both teams. may the best team win which i think will be Grafton by 24. JMHO
User avatar
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:36 am

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby WHS94 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:09 pm

After a 6 hour bus ride to Bottineau (which didn't seem to effect any of the players), Grafton seems reasonably close. Can i come over to your house too? That is before I hop back on the fan bus and take a 3 hour nap back home. Seriously now, i hope its a good game, I'm excited to go watch.
WHS94
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:14 pm

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby yzgy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:50 pm

With the forecast on Friday and Saturday of chance of rain and/or snow, I think it will be a closer game than last time. Neither team has had to play in "classic" football weather so it should not be a deciding factor, but will still play a part in the outcome. In fair weather, I have Grafton by 36. With the pending weather, I have Grafton by 24. If Whapeton is going to have a chance they will need to control the clock for the whole game not just the first half. Very tough to run against one of best D lines in the state, tough to pass against one of the best D back sets in the state. Both teams will have to stay focused, keep the penalties to a minimum, don't give up the big plays,

Grafton outran and outpassed Whapeton significantly last time and it should be a repeat.

Grafton 32
Whapeton 8
yzgy
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby winner-within » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:13 pm

yzgy wrote:With the forecast on Friday and Saturday of chance of rain and/or snow, I think it will be a closer game than last time. Neither team has had to play in "classic" football weather so it should not be a deciding factor, but will still play a part in the outcome. In fair weather, I have Grafton by 36. With the pending weather, I have Grafton by 24. If Whapeton is going to have a chance they will need to control the clock for the whole game not just the first half. Very tough to run against one of best D lines in the state, tough to pass against one of the best D back sets in the state. Both teams will have to stay focused, keep the penalties to a minimum, don't give up the big plays,

Grafton outran and outpassed Whapeton significantly last time and it should be a repeat.

Grafton 32
Whapeton 8


So in Fair weather Grafton wins by 36.....but in Saturdays game coming up, because it might snow they only get the luxury of winning by 24......thats 2 TD's with no conversions after each if my math is correct.
Grafton could lose.....or they could win by 50!!
When a team is real good....this Forum resorts to "how much they will win by" is that sympathy for a supposed Contender that hasnt a prayer??? Nicley asking!!
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4064
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby yzgy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:03 pm

The 50 point differential won't ever come into play unless a team totally gives up and allows either jv to score at will. Starters will be pulled after the 30, not a safe lead by any means but there is no use to put key players into jeopardy by running up the score. Not a style displayed by either team, especially with championship the following week. Grafton has not allowed more than 2 touchdowns in any game and I find it hard to believe any team can easily stop Grafton's offense. Too many weapons. Who do you cover with your best guys when facing them? Is there a team that can match up man for man with the skill set Grafton has? I don't believe they can be stopped but only contained.

Anyone have any ideas how to beat Grafton's offense and/or defense? Interested in finding out what holes are in their armor.
yzgy
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby objectsinmirror » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:32 pm

There are no holes. There are some lapses in sound execution and sharpness, but the armor remains "unchincked". Just too strong on the O and D lines, and too athletic all around for the competition to match up with for 4 quarters.
objectsinmirror
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby wolves65 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:05 pm

70% chance of moisture on Saturday but that is just a weather guess. The only thing that can get Grafton is having a really bad day turnover wise and Wahpeton gets some quick scores. The turnover battle could tell the story on this game. Still say Grafton wins by 21+
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:30 pm

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:07 pm

The thing that looks evident for Saturday weather-wise is WIND again! Grafton will be just fine...34-14
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores@yahoo.com
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 10505
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby old#63 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:10 pm

yzgy wrote:The 50 point differential won't ever come into play unless a team totally gives up and allows either jv to score at will. Starters will be pulled after the 30, not a safe lead by any means but there is no use to put key players into jeopardy by running up the score. Not a style displayed by either team, especially with championship the following week. Grafton has not allowed more than 2 touchdowns in any game and I find it hard to believe any team can easily stop Grafton's offense. Too many weapons. Who do you cover with your best guys when facing them? Is there a team that can match up man for man with the skill set Grafton has? I don't believe they can be stopped but only contained.

Anyone have any ideas how to beat Grafton's offense and/or defense? Interested in finding out what holes are in their armor.

Grafton has an offense that is tough to stop. Hanson and Jiskra are the main threat, but they have several other very fast, athletic recievers (Suda, Demers, Lunde, etc...). Burns is a decent power runner who keeps his feet going, and they run Suda and Lunde on crossing plays from the wide out spots. And then throw in Hanson on draws, keepers, and some options. There are just too many weapons for defenses to try and read the keys from. If there is one thing that seems like a weakness it's that some of Grafton's plays take a while to develop, so if you can get a better rush or blitz and get into the backfield you can disrupt things. But honestly, it will be tough to stop them from scoring.

So if you can't stop them from scoring, you need to keep them from getting the ball. On offense, keep the clock going. Heads up, power, smash mouth running. You need quickness and brute force off the line, with a lead blocker blowing through the hole ahead of the ball to clean out the linebackers. Lot's of 5 yard running plays up the middle. Ball control, ball control, ball control, and no fumbles or penalties. Do all that and you might have a chance of keeping it close. Get behind by a couple touchdowns, and the game is over. Grafton hasn't been in a close game for a while. Maybe if you can keep it close and low scoring into the second half, you might get them rattled and make them impatient. And impatience causes mistakes.

I doubt if anyone will be able to do all this. But, I think that is the only formula than might have a chance. It's definitely Grafton's championship to lose.
old#63
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:30 pm

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby thewanderer » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:59 pm

old#63 wrote:
yzgy wrote:The 50 point differential won't ever come into play unless a team totally gives up and allows either jv to score at will. Starters will be pulled after the 30, not a safe lead by any means but there is no use to put key players into jeopardy by running up the score. Not a style displayed by either team, especially with championship the following week. Grafton has not allowed more than 2 touchdowns in any game and I find it hard to believe any team can easily stop Grafton's offense. Too many weapons. Who do you cover with your best guys when facing them? Is there a team that can match up man for man with the skill set Grafton has? I don't believe they can be stopped but only contained.

Anyone have any ideas how to beat Grafton's offense and/or defense? Interested in finding out what holes are in their armor.

Grafton has an offense that is tough to stop. Hanson and Jiskra are the main threat, but they have several other very fast, athletic recievers (Suda, Demers, Lunde, etc...). Burns is a decent power runner who keeps his feet going, and they run Suda and Lunde on crossing plays from the wide out spots. And then throw in Hanson on draws, keepers, and some options. There are just too many weapons for defenses to try and read the keys from. If there is one thing that seems like a weakness it's that some of Grafton's plays take a while to develop, so if you can get a better rush or blitz and get into the backfield you can disrupt things. But honestly, it will be tough to stop them from scoring.

So if you can't stop them from scoring, you need to keep them from getting the ball. On offense, keep the clock going. Heads up, power, smash mouth running. You need quickness and brute force off the line, with a lead blocker blowing through the hole ahead of the ball to clean out the linebackers. Lot's of 5 yard running plays up the middle. Ball control, ball control, ball control, and no fumbles or penalties. Do all that and you might have a chance of keeping it close. Get behind by a couple touchdowns, and the game is over. Grafton hasn't been in a close game for a while. Maybe if you can keep it close and low scoring into the second half, you might get them rattled and make them impatient. And impatience causes mistakes.

I doubt if anyone will be able to do all this. But, I think that is the only formula than might have a chance. It's definitely Grafton's championship to lose.

sshhhhhhhh
User avatar
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:36 am

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby old#63 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:21 pm

Oh, wanderer, don't worry. Me sayin' it and anybody being able to do it are two very different things. :D :wink:
old#63
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:30 pm

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby winner-within » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:31 am

Boy you 2 (old 63-wanderer) must have a little clout ....to be able to exploit your Team and not get harassed by the Ravishing Mods and Guru Sports God's of this site.......!!!!

I think they are actually scared your right!
but I know their hopin you wrong!
:P :P
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4064
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby old#63 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:20 pm

winner-within wrote:Boy you 2 (old 63-wanderer) must have a little clout ....to be able to exploit your Team and not get harassed by the Ravishing Mods and Guru Sports God's of this site.......!!!!

I think they are actually scared your right!
but I know their hopin you wrong!
:P :P

You gotta show a little swagger come tourney time, winner! 8) :wink:
old#63
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:30 pm

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby winner-within » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:37 pm

old#63 wrote:
winner-within wrote:Boy you 2 (old 63-wanderer) must have a little clout ....to be able to exploit your Team and not get harassed by the Ravishing Mods and Guru Sports God's of this site.......!!!!

I think they are actually scared your right!
but I know their hopin you wrong!
:P :P

You gotta show a little swagger come tourney time, winner! 8) :wink:


Not me....I come across as Arrogant!!!...and....out of line!!! :D
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4064
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby old#63 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:56 pm

winner-within wrote:
old#63 wrote:
winner-within wrote:Boy you 2 (old 63-wanderer) must have a little clout ....to be able to exploit your Team and not get harassed by the Ravishing Mods and Guru Sports God's of this site.......!!!!

I think they are actually scared your right!
but I know their hopin you wrong!
:P :P

You gotta show a little swagger come tourney time, winner! 8) :wink:


Not me....I come across as Arrogant!!!...and....out of line!!! :D

We're just enjoying the moment. Football teams with championship potential haven't been exactly common in Grafton (sort of a hockey town). I'm hoping they can bring this one home. They've been a fun group of kids to watch. They took second in so many tourneys last year, I know they're hungry for a first place trophy. They have the tools, I just hope they can finish strong.
old#63
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:30 pm

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby winner-within » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:22 pm

Keep the swagger....I know the Suda kid some and you don't find em better!!!
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4064
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby yzgy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:07 pm

Football in Grafton should be alive and well for some years to come. Rumor has it that the Varsity, JV, C squad, 7th grade and 5th grade all went undefeated this year. Sounds like a lot of talent and heart on the gridiron.
yzgy
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby nick1016 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:32 pm

yzgy wrote:Football in Grafton should be alive and well for some years to come. Rumor has it that the Varsity, JV, C squad, 7th grade and 5th grade all went undefeated this year. Sounds like a lot of talent and heart on the gridiron.



Quite frankly, I'm not quite sure Grafton will lose a game until 2017. They have an awesome program, great coaches, even better parents, and, of course, very talented kids. It's going to be Championship Spoiler Football for years and years to come.
nick1016
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby Indy5 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:26 pm

old#63 wrote:Grafton (sort of a hockey town).

Speaking of which, where are are these athletic skill position players in the winter? This statement isn't implying their basketball team wasn't and won't be good cause it obviously is, but the only football players I remember are Jiskra and Hanson. Do the rest play hockey?
User avatar
Indy5
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2227
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Northwest ND

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby thewanderer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:56 pm

snohcs wrote:
yzgy wrote:Football in Grafton should be alive and well for some years to come. Rumor has it that the Varsity, JV, C squad, 7th grade and 5th grade all went undefeated this year. Sounds like a lot of talent and heart on the gridiron.



Quite frankly, I'm not quite sure Grafton will lose a game until 2017. They have an awesome program, great coaches, even better parents, and, of course, very talented kids. It's going to be Championship Spoiler Football for years and years to come.

i sense sarcasm. I agree to a point. It has been 3 long years of work for this group of seniors and they are currently reaping the fruits of their hard work. Grafton is on the right track but no dynasty in site yet. cross your fingers???? JMHO
User avatar
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:36 am

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby thewanderer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:25 pm

Indy5 wrote:
old#63 wrote:Grafton (sort of a hockey town).

Speaking of which, where are are these athletic skill position players in the winter? This statement isn't implying their basketball team wasn't and won't be good cause it obviously is, but the only football players I remember are Jiskra and Hanson. Do the rest play hockey?

pertaining to guys who i think are "skilled position" players. Jiskra WR-DB -basetball, Hanson QB-LB -basketball, Suda WR-DB Hockey, Demers WR-DB hockey, Burns RB-LB basketball, Lunde WR-LB basketball, Contreras WR-DB basketball, Leclerc(injured) WR-DE hockey, Martinson OC hockey, Tallemantes O-D line Wresting, Dolan O line LB wrestling, Villareal O-Dl line basketball, baseball player, Surita O-D line football, Galvin O-D line Boxing, Pederson O-D line hockey, etc. etc.. a little satire here. i know what is meant by "skilled position" players normally. truth is, Grafton has a bunch of kids making plays almost every down on both sides of the ball. For most of these guys, (including Hanson and Jiska) football is their best and favorite sport. Not a secondary sport to play while waitning for your "main" sport. I listed many of the key players as i believe they are all skilled at their own positions, come to WORK then WORK, and all deserve the recongniton of an undefeated season. Now they need to play game by game and try win a state championship. JMHO
User avatar
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:36 am

PreviousNext

Return to AA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest