Grafton vs. Wahpeton

The teams in Class AA.

Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby old#63 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Are these two teams going to remain undefeated until they meet up on October 7th. Will this game be for the season championship in the EDC?
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Re: Grafton vs. Wahpeton

Postby The Spread O » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:02 pm

I believe they will both be undefeated... and yes will be for home field advantage. This game will be a toss up.
The Spread O
NDPreps Reserve

Postby MNTwinsFan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:56 pm

where will this one be played?
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby GoBigRed » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:14 am

It will played in Grafton. It will come down to can Grafton stop Wahpeton's run game or can Wahpeton stop Grafton through the air. Wahpeton still has to get by Shanley and then Kindred while Grafton has Central Cass and then Griggs County. Grafton would have the edge on remaining schedule up to them meeting. The top teams in the East are definately Grafton, Wahpeton and Kindred this year, the remaining are tough, but haven't had the breaks go their way to help out their record.
GoBigRed
NDPreps Rookie

Postby thewanderer » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:08 am

This is a tough one. I have watched Graftons team develop over the last 3 years. The basic core group of athletes have been there the whole 3 years. Grafton won last year 26-6 and are MUCH better team this year. Wahpeton has been a surprise for me this year as i beleive they have been for other ND football fans. They are obviously MUCH improved as well. i have heard the sophmore class had a lot of aditions for this squad, more than filling the void of graduating seniors. the proof is in their record. We will never know until the game is played. i hoope both teams stay undefeated until then. it might come down to weather? JMHO
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby GoBigRed » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:32 am

I never even thought of the weather, good one. If it gets nasty out Wahpeton has performed well in the past. The big line loves to grind it out. If it's nice weather, Grafton will have the airvantage.
GoBigRed
NDPreps Rookie

Postby winner-within » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:50 am

GoBigRed wrote:It will played in Grafton. It will come down to can Grafton stop Wahpeton's run game or can Wahpeton stop Grafton through the air. Wahpeton still has to get by Shanley and then Kindred while Grafton has Central Cass and then Griggs County. Grafton would have the edge on remaining schedule up to them meeting. The top teams in the East are definately Grafton, Wahpeton and Kindred this year, the remaining are tough, but haven't had the breaks go their way to help out their record.

In football you do not want to rely on Breaks going your way to win....Normally you cause the bad ones and Create the Good ones.
Another thing that rarely takes place in high School Football is that "both teams show up in full force on the same Night"....Home is Key....and more often than not a regular season game is Much more competitive than a State championship between the same 2 teams....These players are Young... real young when it comes to A a lifetime of learning.....one player can change the whole game....this doesn't happen in College or the NFL.
I think Grafton wins on their Home field... regardless of Weather
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:19 pm

Wahpeton might have a tough time staying undefeated until then. Shanley and Kindred look like tough outs.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:33 pm

old#63 wrote:Wahpeton might have a tough time staying undefeated until then. Shanley and Kindred look like tough outs.

This weekend is Shanley's Homecoming...a little more incentive for Shanley
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby GoBigRed » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:50 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
old#63 wrote:Wahpeton might have a tough time staying undefeated until then. Shanley and Kindred look like tough outs.

From what I've heard Kindred beat themselves more than Shanley won it. But, like winner-within said, at this level, it's all about who shows up.

I've also often wondered if Homecomings are more of a distraction than an asset. The kids have enough stuff fracturing their concentration, the week's activities for Homecoming don't help.
GoBigRed
NDPreps Rookie

Postby old#63 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:34 pm

GoBigRed wrote:I've also often wondered if Homecomings are more of a distraction than an asset. The kids have enough stuff fracturing their concentration, the week's activities for Homecoming don't help.

Oh, come on, man! How are you gonna get any girls to dance with you if you don't win your homecoming game? Not to mention all the crap you are going to take from last years seniors who came back for homecoming to see you play. That's motivation that no coach can ever provide, I don't care how good a speech maker he is. :D
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby thewanderer » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:18 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

RUN, How would you compare these teams with their current undefeated records as it pertains to "strenght pf schedule" or RPI style rankings? I realize that the "who beat who by how much" system many times doesnt apply. Just curious as to your, or others opinions.

heree are Graftons scores
Grafton over park river by 8
Grafton over Rugby by 31 Game called, lightening
Grafton over Shanley by 34
Grafton over Lisbon by 42
I dont have wahpetons game scores
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:51 am

thewanderer wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

RUN, How would you compare these teams with their current undefeated records as it pertains to "strenght pf schedule" or RPI style rankings? I realize that the "who beat who by how much" system many times doesnt apply. Just curious as to your, or others opinions.

Wahp 34 Mary 28
wahp 24 Brek 12
wahp 40 VC 8
wahp 42 CC 6
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby lovwatchingsports » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:48 am

ndfan wrote:
thewanderer wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Wahp 34 Mary 28
wahp 24 Brek 12
wahp 40 VC 8
wahp 42 CC 6

what is the combined record of park rive, rugby, shanley, and lisbon
what is the combined record of st mary, brek, vc, and cc
might shed some light.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:35 am

lovwatchingsports wrote:
ndfan wrote:
thewanderer wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Wahp 34 Mary 28
wahp 24 Brek 12
wahp 40 VC 8
wahp 42 CC 6

might shed some light.

PR, Rugby, shanley and Lisbon have combined record of 8-8

Mary, Brek, VC and CC have record of 7-8 (Brek has only played 3 games so far)

If you just go by AA comparison
Rugby, Shanley and Lisbon 5-7

Mary, VC and CC 5-7
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:54 am

lovwatchingsports wrote:
ndfan wrote:
thewanderer wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Wahp 34 Mary 28
wahp 24 Brek 12
wahp 40 VC 8
wahp 42 CC 6

might shed some light.

Right now the edge would go to Grafton, IMO.

Combined Records:
Grafton's Opp. are Park River (3-1), Rugby (1-3), Shanley (2-2), Lisbon (2-2) = 8-8 (.500)
Wahpeton's Opp. are St. Mary's (0-4), Breckenridge (MN) (2-1), Valley City (2-2), Central Cass (3-1) = 7-8 (.467)

If we did an RPI style ranking (like in BB), using winning percentage, Opponent's record, and Opponent's opponent record you get an RPI for each school as you can find below:

Grafton .625
Wahpeton .594

so using this style Grafton seems to be the stronger on paper...now to find out who's stronger on the field.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby GoBigRed » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:57 am

ndfan wrote:
lovwatchingsports wrote:
ndfan wrote:
thewanderer wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Wahp 34 Mary 28
wahp 24 Brek 12
wahp 40 VC 8
wahp 42 CC 6

might shed some light.

PR, Rugby, shanley and Lisbon have combined record of 8-8

Mary, Brek, VC and CC have record of 7-8 (Brek has only played 3 games so far)

If you just go by AA comparison
Rugby, Shanley and Lisbon 5-7

Mary, VC and CC 5-7

Lot's of comparing apples to oranges here. I know one thing for sure, neither team has given one thought to Oct. 7th, they are both working on the game this Friday. As an old ball coach once said, "We don't need to go undefeated, we just need one win each week."
GoBigRed
NDPreps Rookie

Postby The Spread O » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:18 pm

RPI.. really wanderer. It's high school football. No one cares about Grafton and Wahpeton's RPI.
The Spread O
NDPreps Reserve

Postby old#63 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:27 pm

C'mon, Spread O, they only play once a week. We gotta talk about something all week long. :D
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:59 pm

old#63 wrote:C'mon, Spread O, they only play once a week. We gotta talk about something all week long. :D

really my RPI numbers are just preparing me for basketball season :D
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby GoBigRed » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:01 pm

old#63 wrote:C'mon, Spread O, they only play once a week. We gotta talk about something all week long. :D

I agree 100%. As far as me and mine, we talk Football all week, watch the ones who love to play on Friday night, watch the ones who "trade" to play on Saturday and mow the lawn on Sunday. :D
GoBigRed
NDPreps Rookie

Postby thewanderer » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:21 pm

The Spread O wrote:RPI.. really wanderer. It's high school football. No one cares about Grafton and Wahpeton's RPI.

The topic of this thread is Grafton Vs Wahpeton. Both teams are undefeated. Wahpeton runs, Grafton passes. Neither team has faced the same opponent yet. i asked Run to give me his opinion on "strength of schedule" i apologize for adding "RPI" for dramatice effect. Different coaches and AD's have different aproaches in early season scheduling. some take on tough competition some dont. Example-Shanley. I am not hyping Grafton as i thought their first 2 games were against easy competion. I put down Graftons game scores and stated "i dont have wahpetons game scores". i also stated " I realize that the (who beat who by how much) system many times doesnt apply. Just curious". My intent wasnt to get into an RPI type rating matrix. i would disagree that "no one cares" as respondents chimed in. JMHO
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:34 pm

I'll take Wahpeton by 3pts.
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby GoBigRed » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:43 pm

thewanderer wrote:
The Spread O wrote:RPI.. really wanderer. It's high school football. No one cares about Grafton and Wahpeton's RPI.

The topic of this thread is Grafton Vs Wahpeton. Both teams are undefeated. Wahpeton runs, Grafton passes. Neither team has faced the same opponent yet. i asked Run to give me his opinion on "strength of schedule" i apologize for adding "RPI" for dramatice effect. Different coaches and AD's have different aproaches in early season scheduling. some take on tough competition some dont. Example-Shanley. I am not hyping Grafton as i thought their first 2 games were against easy competion. I put down Graftons game scores and stated "i dont have wahpetons game scores". i also stated " I realize that the (who beat who by how much) system many times doesnt apply. Just curious". My intent wasnt to get into an RPI type rating matrix. i would disagree that "no one cares" as respondents chimed in. JMHO

I like the different slants that everyone takes on the approach of how to 'rate' the two teams. Unless you are on here spouting your agenda, I think all input is welcome. Grafton does have a core nucleus of playmakers who have been at for 3yrs, while Wahpeton has one of the best running backs in the state, who has 2 right behind him that could be featured. Either way I hope both teams show up, strap it up and bang heads all 4 quarters.
GoBigRed
NDPreps Rookie

Postby lovwatchingsports » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:07 pm

thewanderer wrote:

Yes, I thought it was interesting and thank you for doing that. I come up with a horse a piece right now. hopefully, they are both undefeated when they meet, it would make an interesting game.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to AA