A vs. B

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Should class A & B State champs play each other?

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes : 52

Postby ndfan » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:51 am

Should class A champs play the class B champs? Then you could have one true state champion.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:11 pm

Indeed they should.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:50 pm

it would be a great attraction, and draw a big crowd,  hold it at the Bismarck Civic Center... Boys and Girls!!
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ishouldawentPRO » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:05 am

I think most people would love to see it.  It's probably a long shot because some people would argue that the all-star games already provide a good game of A vs B.  I really would like to see the state champs play in ND, beside there are only 2 divisions, not like some other states.  Heck, hold it at other gyms around the state which don't get the attention of the BCC, let's pack it to the rafters!
Last edited by ishouldawentPRO on Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ishouldawentPRO

Postby ndfan » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:36 am

I totally think they should play this game, like people have said it would be well attended. I believe wrestling just started last year an A vs. B state champions match during the summer. Mitch would know a little more about that. I think it would be a huge game for North Dakota too. Just my opinion.

Another thing if ya vote, ya should post why. Somebody voted no and didnt leave a reply. It be good to hear from people why they dont think they should have this game also.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wombat » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:19 pm

Yeah wrestling just started what they call the "All Star Classic" but it is more like a shrine game or lion's game... they invite the class A and B state champs at each weight to wrestle eachother, if they decline they invite 2nd then 3rd, etc... until they have the best possible matchups. I think there were 5 State Champ vs. State Champ matches last year... of course Class "B" kicked butt (31-17 i think)

But I think that the A vs. B is something people always would like to see. there is always debate and this would clear things up.

I wish class A and B team champs would go at it, men's and women's A vs. B Basketball would bring a crowd, It would be pretty tough to bring AAA vs. AA fb but it would still be neat. Baseball could really work out too I think!

Here's an Idea. We have A Vs. B in MBB, WBB, VB, Baseball, and wrestling throughout the year and have some sort of award for whichever class wins the most games just for bragging rights!
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Kujava » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:36 am

Well, I feel teams would like the challenge of seeing who is the best in the state--regardless of school size..alas HOOSIERS!!

I realize it probably won't happen with all the politics and stuff---but one sport that should definitely have class A and class B champs square off is wrestling--
Kujava

Postby Wombat » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:10 pm

That is exactly what everyone said about wrestling A vs. B.

For about 3-4 years on the Dakota Grappler forum this topic got brought up EVERY time state was over. EVERY year it was a huge topic with tons of ideas and replies. Eventually some of the state's wrestling enthusiasts started to research the idea. After a lot of time and effort it finally was done!

If anyone really wants to see this happen keep throwing out ideas. Ask around to see what would have to be done to get this to happen! believe it or not a message board like this one can be the birth place of the A vs. B championship game!
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 1337 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:12 am

Wombat wrote:Here's an Idea. We have A Vs. B in MBB, WBB, VB, Baseball, and wrestling throughout the year and have some sort of award for whichever class wins the most games just for bragging rights!

I think that would be pretty sweet. Almost an Olympic flavor to the whole deal.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Double Bonus » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:29 pm

I think the NDHSAA has some kind of a rule that such a game can't be played during the school year. That's when you would want it played, right after the season is done so both teams would be sharp.

The Lions all-star game is cool, but most players aren't sharp and they aren't playing their best. Plus, some kids drop out of playing because other committments, such as Legion baseball and family vacations. Some kids are forced to pick between playing in the basketball game vs. playing all-star football or volleyball.

Also, all-star teams aren't all they are cracked up to be. A lot of times all-star teams fail or they don't play well together. I would like to see two state champion teams play vs. all-star teams.

Double Bonus

Postby inittowinit » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:13 pm

even tho im class B....i say no because class A would by far beat class B....just because of the higher enrollment and a larger selection of players to choose from
inittowinit

Postby 1337 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:41 am

inittowinit wrote:even tho im class B....i say no because class A would by far beat class B....just because of the higher enrollment and a larger selection of players to choose from

While I am a Class A person by nature of where I spent my high school years there has always been a place in my heart for Class B because of growing up in small class B towns. I think it is easy to jump to the conclusion you make, but at the same time if you look at the Lions game, especially the last few years, the Class A as far from dominated. This also includes losing quite a few times. I just don't think it would be so clear cut and would still love to see such a game!
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ND_SportsNut » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:34 am

I think you have to compare similar things. When you talk about having  A champs against B champs your talking about an average of a 1400 kid school against a 200, where as the Lions game is a compilation of the best players from 19 A schools against the best of 117 B schools, so im sure it comes out fairly even in the amount of kids. I would love to see the champs play each other but i believe that A would prevail most every time. I dont think the Lions game is a relative measuring stick.
ND_SportsNut

Postby Ming01 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:31 am

The A game is way different then the B game.  From what I've seen A is a more fast pace, up-tempo game.  Most teams in Class A like to get out and run and play very aggressive defense.  In class B, a lot of teams like to slow the tempo down and play a half court game.  So it would kind of depend on who would play who if the 2 state champs went head to head.  But in my opinion Class A would win probably 9 times out of 10.
Last edited by Ming01 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:12 am

ND_SportsNut and Ming01 bring up valid points. It is however in my opinion because of such contrasting styles that one really doesn't know who would win. I think it would be fun to see exactly how it would work. There is however the shot clock in Class A so you would indeed run into do you play the game with it, or without it? How do they do the Lions game?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Y-not Daily » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:01 am

I think Class A would win a vast majority of the games... mainly because of depth.
I think if you look at the top three players on the respective title teams, they are probably comparable, but the Class A would almost always have better players from 4-7. That makes a big difference.

The other thing is competition level. The A teams have played a higher level of competition throughout the season. There are some very good teams in the B, but also some God-awful teams.

I don't think that size would make a difference among top teams. I've seen plenty of B teams that have the size to match up with the A.
Y-not Daily

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:04 am

The bottom line is it would be very entertaining to watch.  David vs. Goliath.  Epping vs Hillsboro all over again.  The class B folks would sell the place out.  True class A would have the probable advantage in size and depth, but never underestimate the power of momentum and emotions.  The real question is what are the obstacles to overcome, and does anyone want to prolong the basketball season by another game.  I bet if large amounts of people emailed the powers that be, that the media would catch on to it and put pressure on the NDHSAA to sponser the game.  I don't think we could mount that much pressure just yet, but give us time.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:55 am

I think that Class A champs should play the Class B champs.  There would be a true state champion.  Yeah Class A does have the numbers and size, but so do some class B schools.  When it comes to tournament time, the best players are on the floor or ready to come off the bench.  This holds true for both classes! 

In regards to the Lion's Game, these kids have about a week to get ready for the game.  There is really no concept of team, or team chemistry.  Sure it is fun, but the competition is really not there, not at the level it is at a State Tournament, or during the season.  Some kids have other sports they compete it, and are just plan out of shape. 

There would be no way to do this for Football, but Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, Track & Field & Golf, you would be able to put the best of the best against each other! 
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Honus355 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:45 am

I do not believe that class A should play class B in the title game. Yes it would be very well attended and a fun game to watch, but when is this game going to be played? If you wait until the summer this game is just like an all-star game in its feel because it is highly unlikely that everyone on both teams will be able to be there for the game with all that us ND's are busy with in the summer. Also, moving the game into the summer puts many people out of shape and/or out of the time frame of sports for their career. One of the best things about winnig a state title is that you end your career with a victory, and that your team came out on top. Having a true "title" game would take away something for the team that won the real title. I just do not think that it is possible in a team sport like this to be able to get this done. SOmething like wrestling works because it is an individual effort, but for basketball it just won't work.
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:43 pm

Hmm you have a good point.  It kinda made me switch my view on it.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:11 pm

If you really want to see an A vs B for all the marbles I would suggest you lobby for a 1 class system. No more whining about private schools in the B tourney.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Honus355 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:14 am

and we all know how well that would work ;)
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby Football_Wrestling- X's 2 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:54 am

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with initowinit because there are some awfully good Class B teams that I think might surprise some of the best Class A teams.  Sorry just opinion  :?
Football_Wrestling- X's 2

Postby ndsubball » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:00 pm

I think it would be a good idea to have class A champs play the class B champs but if you play how do you go about a shot clock because class A has a shot clock and class B doesnt just wondering how that would work

ndsubball

Postby Ming01 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:24 am

Well whatever they do in the Lions All Star game.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics