Best Basketball Team From ND

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby timmyg » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:25 pm

the 1996 and 1997 teams from May-Port CG are, as already said, the best teams in ND history.  Each starter was 6'5" or taller and yes, they did average a couple dunks a game.  They are probably thee most athletic team to play in class b athletics.  Everyone of the starters from the team went on to play college athletics.  Majekovic played at Mayville, Darren Klabo and Matt Swift at Mayville as well, Tom Jacobson at UND, Andrew Leclair went on to play at Kansas and then NDSU and was later cut by the New Orleans Saints.  Travis Kraft went on to play at South Carolina as a true freshman and later transferred to NDSU.  Chuck Klabo played football at NDSU and was signed by the Cleveland Browns and played in NFL Europe but suffered a career-ending leg injury.  Off the bench Steve Gerszewski, who played football at Mayville State and later played pro football in the National Indoor football league.  This team also BEAT minnesota basketball powerhouse DeLaSalle in the Timberwolves tournament in Minneapolis and one year (not sure if 96 or 97) beat hose Shanley in the Shanely tourney, who later went on to win the Class A.  By far the most athletic team in class b history
timmyg
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bob » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:12 pm

No doubt May-Port CG in 96 and 97 had unreal teams.  The talent and size and ability was unmatched.  You can't really compare the older teams because of the size and ability of the May Port teams.  If you put a team from any year out there against that team from May Port it wouldnt be close.  The best team to ever play together in North dakota.
Bob
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:34 pm

Nothing about the 05-06 PBK Rebel team.  Led by Florhaug and Bata dunking on everyone.  I saw a few people who said they would just roll through State.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsguy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:51 pm

nobody has said anything about the '99 or '96 or '95 Minot High teams.  That '99 team walked thru the state that year and finished 25-1.  Jeff Brandt, Kent Bloms, Steve Grabowski, and Marky Olson all were very good players.
sportsguy

Postby Notorious » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:13 am

Old topic, but I have to go with the '88-89 Fargo South Bruins.  They were a college team playing in high school.  They were more athletic, top to bottom, than any other team in recent memory.  Dickinson should have knocked them off in the first round.  I think they were caught by surprise at the talent and determination of the Midgets.  The defensive intensity was what keep DHS in the game.  Granted, the Bruins probably would've won 99 out of 100 games, but it sure would've been nice to see an upset take place that afternoon......

Notorious
NDPreps Starter

Postby InTheKnow » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:29 pm

96 MPCG in a close one over 89 South. There were alot of people who wanted to see MPCG lose because they were so good but it was like watching Tiger Woods with a big lead. You continue to watch because you are witnessing greatness in action. It was clearly men against boys every game.

Someone mentioned Nick Jacobson's Shanley teams in comparison to MPCG, well it would be interesting to hear what the Jacobsons themselves think on that topic considering that the Jacobson family is involved with both teams. I'm sure that was discussed at some point during a holiday get together.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby Pfenix » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:36 pm

The 1960-61 Mott Cardinal team went undefeated two straight seasons (a record 56 straight games, stil a record.  I do believe MPCG came close to meeting it a few years ago) and won two straight state B championships.  The cardinal were led by Butch Lince.  He went on to be a two sport standout in Basketball and Football at UND and was drafted the philidelphia eagles.  Those teams need to be considered.
Pfenix
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:53 am

The MPCG team of 96-97 was nothing short of amazing, IMO clearly the best team from Class B, and probably the best In either A or B. The shanley holiday tournament was so fun to watch that year. Half court ally-oops in the DeLasal (spelling) MPCG game were amazing.
The second best team ever from class B IMO was the 1976 LaMoure Loboes. The absolutly dominated state, clearly men against boys.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby roy32 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:37 pm

I played against the 96 & 99 Minot teams, no comparison the 96 was extremely better.  If not for God's intervention that year against Grand Forks Central they would probably be considered the best team in ND history.  Kenny Younger would have repeated as a state champ, with an undefeated senior season.  I seen most of the games they played that year, until they lost in the state finals no team really threatened them in the 4th quarter.  If you played that game 10 times Grand Forks Central would have won one game, unfortunately for Minot that night was the one.  What a horrible way to end such a remarkable career for Younger and season for Minot.  The 99 minot squad would not have even won the state title if Nick Jacobson didn't transfer to Minnesota with his father.  Which would have put them in the conversation also.  If Jacobson sticks around in 99 he has all the scoring records in the state and Shanley has a three-peat.  It would be hard to argue with that, especially in the era in which it occurred.  At that being said Minot's 96 squad matched up much better with May-Port and I think Minot would have the edge.
Last edited by roy32 on Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roy32
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sportsguy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:30 pm

I have to disagree with the 96 team from Minot being better than the 99 team.  I can almost bet you if you ask anyone from that town who would win and the majority would say the 99 squad.  As for if Jacobson would have stayed then the Minot team would have lost in the state championship, I don't agree with that either.  Ask someone who played for Devils Lake that year who was better, I have and I know the answer.  And if Boschee doesn't go for 40 in the first round in 98 against Minot, you might have seen a back to back championship there as well. 
sportsguy

Postby cityleaguer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:10 am

How about the Dickinson High Championship team from 2003?  Lucas Moormann 6'9"(all conference 03/04, all state and Mr. Basketball 04, starting for NDSU) Andrew Brown 6'7" (All conference 01,02,03 played at NDSU now at SDSMT) Troy Ott 6'5"(all conference 02,03 all state and Mr. Basketball candidate 03) Scott Laplante 6'3" (all conference 03 went to play freshmen year at DSU) 6'1" Derrick Popiel (went to play freshmen ball at UMary)

Not to mention off the bench:

6'6" Brett Bauer (UND starting lineman)

6'3 Jesse Kadrmas (several 4 and 5 3pt nights)

6'2" Trent Kleinjan (all conference 2004)

6'3" Ryan Bogner (first team all state 2005)
Last edited by cityleaguer on Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bearsfan » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:20 am

hfs77 wrote:Actually, the best May-Port-C-G team would have probably been 1996, followed closely by 1997. (only Klabo & Macejekovic were seniors on the 96 team)

Starting five:

• Darren Klabo - 6'5"  - later became All-NDCAC at MaSU 
  • Tom Jacobson - 6'5" - great career at UND
  • Matt Swift - 6'5" - played at MaSU
  • Jeremy Macejekovic - 6'5" - played at MaSU
  • Andrew Leclair - 6'6" - All-conference football player at U of Kansas, later transferred to NDSU.
Off the bench:
  • Chuck Klabo - 6'7" - Played football at NDSU; signed by Cleveland Browns & played some NFL Europe
  • Travis Kraft - 6'7" - Started out playing at a DI school (South Carolina maybe?) then transferred to NDSU
Not many teams really touched these guys....would play in holiday tournaments and beat some of the top teams from the Twin Cities.

Also pretty exciting to watch...they probably averaged about 2 dunks a game

The '96 team won the state championship game by 1 point over Beulah and the Olson kid had a chance to win it with no time left on the clock with a lay-up.  The following year Beulah beat them in the Class B jamboree.   
Bearsfan

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:36 am

and didnt they avenge that loss by 20 in the state tournament?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:39 pm

What about the 1984 Linton Lions. 28-0 State Champions. Dennis Beck and co. Coach Dan Carr. They have to be up there as one of the top teams.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:29 pm

The best team by far is 05-07 Four Winds. they are absolutely unstoppable
project-pat

Postby The Schwab » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:02 pm

project-pat wrote:The best team by far is 05-07 Four Winds. they are absolutely unstoppable

this should generate some good discussion.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:35 am

Unbelieveable.......yeah, FW has been good the past few years but to be talked about one of the greatest teams ever??  Give me a break!  How many state championships have they won??  Exactly....
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:19 pm

Leeds was 80-6 from 97-99 when I played and about the same from 91-93 and I'm not talking about either of those two teams as the best ever because we were not dominant or superiorly talented, we just knew how to win with defense and teamwork.....we also only won 1 championship (99) in those years and two state runnerups (92 & 98)
Last edited by ndlionsfan on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:08 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Unbelieveable.......yeah, FW has been good the past few years but to be talked about one of the greatest teams ever??  Give me a break!  How many state championships have they won??  Exactly....

haha its called sarcasm. I'm just trying to get some of the FW fans on here riled up.
project-pat

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:15 am

sorry about that project-pat....I thought you were one of those guys bragging up FW like no other on this site.  Guess I should have checked your profile first.  What's with the 4Winds Bball on your profile?  That just to get people riled up on here, too?
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics