Best Class B basketball rivalry

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby cubsfan » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:08 pm

pbk vs lamoure is a great rivalry
bowman vs trinity is a dang good rivalry
mpcg vs hillsboro last season hillsboro's team nothing special but still great game vs mpcg
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:29 am
Location: North Dakota USA

Postby The Schwab » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:33 am

Ok I'm from finley and the MPCG finley games were never really competitive, I will give you that, but that doesnt mean that they werent good rivalry games. And as for the comment "most of MPCG's players from the mid 90s were from finley. Well they had 3 "Darrin, Chuck and Leah Klabo" they attended finley but left b4 high school, you give us Darrin and Chuck Klabo for those 4 years and Finley might have been a decent team. Baldwin more recently never went to school in finley, but is techinically in Finley's SD, but i wont say too much about that because he never came too school in Finley. I will have to say the best rivalry in Class B is back in the day of Eddie, Hillsboro vs Mayville was great. And i remember the district championship game when mayville lost too hillsboro. Great game, great rivalry
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2937
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State

Postby NDSUBison » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:08 am

Mayville and Hillsboro is one of the states greatest rivalries, but the Cavalier North Border rivalry is a very good one also. They always seem to play close, no matter how much better the other team is. Many of the kids that go to school in North Border have cousins that go to school in Cavalier and visa versa. It can get pretty heated on the court between players, generally because they just don't like each other.
NDSUBison
 

Postby statpacker » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:53 am

I THINK STANDING ROCK AND FOUR WINDS ARE THE BEST AND PARSHALL AND NEW TOWN BECAUSE THESE ARE RESERVARTIONS OF GOOD AND TALENTED BASKETBALL PLAYERS THAT NOBODY CAN STOP ONCE ON TOP OF THEIR GAME SO LOOK OUT EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!
statpacker
 

Postby Diamond D » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:11 am

Underwood versus Washburn

Max versus Garrison

 
Mohall versus Sherwood

Minot High versus Minot Ryan (when they were Class A):  I know this was on a class B posting site, but they were good rivalry's.

Hazen versus Beulah

Maddock versus Leeds

 
Last edited by Diamond D on Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond D
 

Postby A - Football Fan » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:29 am

Velva vs. Sawyer

They coop for football and then bang it out on the hardwood. Can't say either team has ever done anything of any notarity beyond their own gyms but it is always a decent rivalry. This past year Velva basically told Sawyer to coop all or none and Sawyer took none so they weren't a part of the football program. This year could be a tough feelings type of game. Most of the decent football players open enrolled to Velva hard feelings for that. Unfortunately, I think the kids get along well enough, just the parents have a hard time with giving it up. A lot of pride in a small town basketball program and any other athletics.
Last edited by A - Football Fan on Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:52 am
Location: Mandan, ND

Postby ND_Coach » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:21 am

I always like watching Wells Co. vs Carrington and Wells Co. vs New Rockford
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:45 am

Postby Mr. Me Too » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:30 pm

statpacker wrote:I THINK STANDING ROCK AND FOUR WINDS ARE THE BEST AND PARSHALL AND NEW TOWN BECAUSE THESE ARE RESERVARTIONS OF GOOD AND TALENTED BASKETBALL PLAYERS THAT NOBODY CAN STOP ONCE ON TOP OF THEIR GAME SO LOOK OUT EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!

yes i will say these are some good rivalries on the rez but another one back in the day was White Shield vs. Mandaree. . .both gyms would be packed with fans from both schools ppl would stand under the rim out of bounds lines just to watch
-->aMA[z]iNg<--
User avatar
Mr. Me Too
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:36 pm
Location: USA

Postby Stromer » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:32 pm

Well before the co-op, Starkweather and Munich were fairly good ones.  Now after the co-op, it most definitely Langdon due to the size difference.  It usually brings a full house to the tiny gyms up North and its always fun to watch a possible upset.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
User avatar
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:39 pm
Location: The house that Ralph built

Postby beavof77 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:33 pm

A matchup of any sport thats always good to see is The Minot Ryan Lions and the Velva Aggies. They brought nearly 4,000 people into the MSU dome last year when each team only had one lose and was playing for bragging rights in the region. Ryan ended up thumping an unready Velva team but I stayed around because both teams were playing physical and giving it 100% reguardless of the score.
beavof77
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:35 pm
Location: Minot, , North Dakota USA

Postby baller01 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:06 pm

What about Linton vs LaMoure?
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
User avatar
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1542
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:28 pm

Postby sportsguy2 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:39 pm

LaMoure vs. LMM .....some LMM guys play football with the Lamoure boys......and if you were in Marion for that game tonight from either side you knew that was a heck of a game
User avatar
sportsguy2
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:57 pm

Postby rep » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:42 pm

sportsguy2 wrote:LaMoure vs. LMM .....some LMM guys play football with the Lamoure boys......and if you were in Marion for that game tonight from either side you knew that was a heck of a game


isn't basketball about the only sport they don't play together? limesand was on the lamoure legion team, but i can't remember if he was on the high school team or not?

besides, there is no rivalry quite like that of two teams that co-op for track and field...whew...
rep
 

Postby berry186 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:43 pm

rep wrote:
sportsguy2 wrote:LaMoure vs. LMM .....some LMM guys play football with the Lamoure boys......and if you were in Marion for that game tonight from either side you knew that was a heck of a game


isn't basketball about the only sport they don't play together? limesand was on the lamoure legion team, but i can't remember if he was on the high school team or not?

besides, there is no rivalry quite like that of two teams that co-op for track and field...whew...

he was on the high school team, they coop in golf, baseball, track, football
User avatar
berry186
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:39 am
Location: North Dakota USA

Postby region1 football » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:45 pm

yes lmm coops for all sports but basketball...there was a few from there that were in track i think im not for sure on this. but what i do think helped add fuel to the fire tonight is donny schrader leaving lmm for lamoure. i do recall at the begging of the game schrader gettinb "booed" a few times along with some other gestures"
region1 football
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:20 pm

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:14 pm

Mr. Me Too wrote:
statpacker wrote:I THINK STANDING ROCK AND FOUR WINDS ARE THE BEST AND PARSHALL AND NEW TOWN BECAUSE THESE ARE RESERVARTIONS OF GOOD AND TALENTED BASKETBALL PLAYERS THAT NOBODY CAN STOP ONCE ON TOP OF THEIR GAME SO LOOK OUT EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!

yes i will say these are some good rivalries on the rez but another one back in the day was White Shield vs. Mandaree. . .both gyms would be packed with fans from both schools ppl would stand under the rim out of bounds lines just to watch

The best were two schools on the same reservations or in the same town or close to, there was bragging rights at hand.  I remember FW vs Warwick were always packed.   It was tough to play in Warwick with their barn of a gym but the atmosphere was awesome.
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
User avatar
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:44 am
Location: Devils Lake. ND

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:31 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:The best were two schools on the same reservations or in the same town or close to, there was bragging rights at hand.  I remember FW vs Warwick were always packed.   It was tough to play in Warwick with their barn of a gym but the atmosphere was awesome.

I would say Minnewaukan-Leeds and Four Winds are a pretty good rivalry, have been for a number of years and they continue to battle it out every year.

Minnewaukan-Leeds and Wells County would be another big rivalry in region 4.
User avatar
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Lake Region

Postby Indians Alumni » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:22 am

NATURAL TALENT wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:The best were two schools on the same reservations or in the same town or close to, there was bragging rights at hand.  I remember FW vs Warwick were always packed.   It was tough to play in Warwick with their barn of a gym but the atmosphere was awesome.

I would say Minnewaukan-Leeds and Four Winds are a pretty good rivalry, have been for a number of years and they continue to battle it out every year.

Minnewaukan-Leeds and Wells County would be another big rivalry in region 4.


Man, I agree with that one also!  They always had our number!  I hated playing there or them coming in, The crowd was usually hostile and big!  In my years of playing we could never get past them, even when our record was better! 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
User avatar
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:44 am
Location: Devils Lake. ND

Postby LiveForHim » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:00 pm

Park River and Grafton is a pretty big rivalry
LiveForHim
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:30 pm

Postby xcolt90 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:03 am

Wilton vs. Wing is always a big deal and they even met in the state tournament in 2001.

 

Wilton - Washburn is another big rivalry in the middle of the state.
xcolt90
 

Postby baseball » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:38 am

south central part of the state the best has to be Linton-Steele
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4643
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:53 pm

Postby the low down » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:32 pm

beavof77 wrote:A matchup of any sport thats always good to see is The Minot Ryan Lions and the Velva Aggies. They brought nearly 4,000 people into the MSU dome last year when each team only had one lose and was playing for bragging rights in the region. Ryan ended up thumping an unready Velva team but I stayed around because both teams were playing physical and giving it 100% reguardless of the score.

You are absolutely right here. Velva v. Ryan's biggest rivalry game is probably the football game, but the rest of the sports are great rivalry games as well.  The football game always draws a huge crowd.
the low down
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:16 am
Location: the "952", ,

Postby rumbles » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:38 pm

Carrington and New Rockford is always a good one
User avatar
rumbles
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:13 pm

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:13 pm

Diamond D wrote:Underwood versus Washburn

Max versus Garrison

 
Mohall versus Sherwood

Minot High versus Minot Ryan (when they were Class A):  I know this was on a class B posting site, but they were good rivalry's.

Hazen versus Beulah

Maddock versus Leeds

 
Maddock vs. Leeds??  Where are you from Diamond D??  I don't think Maddock has beat Leeds since 92 and none of the games since have even been close.  I don't think that counts as a rivalry.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
User avatar
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3211
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 am
Location: Central ND

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:16 pm

Mwkn vs Leeds was always great before they cooped.....Leeds vs FW is a good rivalry, too
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
User avatar
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3211
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 am
Location: Central ND

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest