Best Class B basketball rivalry

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby Spiritof76 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:05 am

I think you could take any 2 small Class B towns within close proximty of each other and call it a good rivalry.

However I think Mott vs. Regent (now a combined school) in the 80's was a GREAT rivalry. I can recall one game in Regent needing to be stopped several times due to the floor being slick (all the people in he gym created high humidity).....they always had to bring in extra bleachers for the games (this went all the way into the 1990's).....but what made this one of the best rivalries was I believe in 1982 or 83 they played the game on a community access like channel through the Regent Cable Company..it was close circuited and now that I think about probably very illegal but it was done......no sound or commentary just the sound of 2 towns wanting to win......
Spiritof76
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Best Class B basketball rivalry

Postby rez01 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:46 pm

I like the rivalry that started between Standing Rock and Shiloh my freshman year (1998) Two completely different teams, different style in play and different backgrounds. We owned Shiloh in the beginning (went 6-2 in my 3 years on varisty) but it seems like Shiloh has been owning Standing Rock the past 4 years. Def good games to watch when they play.
rez01
NDPreps Reserve

Postby old lineman » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:18 pm

I am a rain drop a rain drop from the sky I'd rather be a rain drop then a drip from Hillsburo high. The same song was sung in reverse about MP prior to adding CG. The acro team from Fargo was half time entertainment. When they played there season games against each other at Mayville State. Sorry to say the Burro's came out on top alot. Klabo's Leclair and some of those boys evened the score later. Still today the coaches get up for the game, so do both communities.

Once read written on a car window in Steele "So what we beat Linton"
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:51 pm

Old LIneman - LOL! Funny stuff :lol:

The Burros did come out on top more often than not in the old days and it took imports for the Patriots to finally start beating the Burros. The Jacobson boys while their Dad was the principal, the Klabos from Finley, Leclair from Cincinatti, Craig Nelson came from Ashby, MN with his Dad, Travis Kraft moved in with his Dad - it seemed like MPCG had recruiters behind the scenes.

Just kidding - I'm not starting up a recruiting debate! :) Just had to get a little shot in at the Pats.

You are absolutely right - MPCG-Hillsboro continues to be a great rivalry. It packs the gym every time they play in basketball.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:52 pm

Bowman and Trinity for boys basketball is becoming quite the rivalry. The bulldogs have a chip on their shoulder since they believe they had state championship caliber teams between 2003 to 2006. Both teams give it their all every time they step on the floor.
project-pat

Postby point/center » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:29 am

even though Linton has won many of the recent games. Linton vs LaMoure is a heated rivalry
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Re:

Postby ndfan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:43 pm

BB11 wrote:I would have to say in the eastern part of the state Cavalier and North Border is a big time rivalry.
MPCG and Hillsboro has always been and always will be a big game every time they play.
Also I would have to say Langdon and Munich back in the 70's-90's were a huge rival with Jack Demaine vs. Charlie Jordan.

When was the last time Cavalier beat North Border? Do they got a shot at beating them anytime soon?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 9manfootballmom » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:16 pm

How many of you out there from the east remember when the Jim Addelson gave his predictions for the big games of the week? This was otherwise known as the kiss of death. You never wanted Jim to pick your team because it was a sure sign that you were going down. That wasn't usually the case when May Port (It wasn't just Mayville in 1996) played Hillsboro cause Jim like fast Eddie Beyer way too much so we looked at it as a good sign.

I remember a May Port vs Hillsboro game, played in Hillsboro. I was a stat so at least I had a decent seat! The Hillsboro water boy had to wipe up some water that had spilled in the May Port huddle. He walked over the spot, plugged his nose and wiped up the water with his free hand. quite silly actually but it sure got the Patriots fans to riot. Can't even remember who won the game but the water boy/manager's image avoiding the stench of us Patriots shows you what kind of rivalry it used to be.

I am out west now, but i have friends from college that live and work and teach and coach in Hillsboro. NOt a big deal anymore Heck Dave Nelson even left the darkside and has coached in May Port for many years of successful basketball. ANd he is Eddie Beyer's son in law! Go Patriots!
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Re:

Postby BB11 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 am

ndfan wrote:
BB11 wrote:I would have to say in the eastern part of the state Cavalier and North Border is a big time rivalry.
MPCG and Hillsboro has always been and always will be a big game every time they play.
Also I would have to say Langdon and Munich back in the 70's-90's were a huge rival with Jack Demaine vs. Charlie Jordan.

When was the last time Cavalier beat North Border? Do they got a shot at beating them anytime soon?

I think it has been awhile. I just know during the 80's with Olsen and crew vs. Volk, Haggerty and the rest of them was a tough rivalry. I remember in 86 - Cavalier was ranked 1st in state in the Hoopster, and they didn't even win their district - lost to North Border.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby theDIRTYdub » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:16 pm

A very great little known rivalry is easily New Town Eagles Vs. Watford city wolves. They play multiple times a year and are seperated by 50 miles. Every game is packed and when the players run their mouths the fans to it even more. I've have seen on several occasions near riots in the stands! this rivalry is my personaly favorite. Every year its a close game, even this year when WC was top rated.
There's no "I" in team...But there is in "win"...
theDIRTYdub
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ballaholic#3 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:02 pm

i remember when my brothers were in high school in the late 90's and early 00's at Scranton that the Dickinson Trinity vs. Scranton game used to be epic. I believe several times they were each #1 and #2 in the state when they met. I recall getting out of class in elementary school and the bleachers were already packed in scranton and they had to bring in all sorts of bleachers and a big screen in the lunch room so people could watch. i think now though that bowman has replaced scranton with the rivalry.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby Firebirds » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:28 pm

Gackle and Steele
Firebirds

Postby baseball » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:38 pm

Firebirds wrote:Gackle and Steele

What?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:39 pm

rivalry I played in...Linton-Steele

rivalry year in year out...Bowman-Trinity. they go at it every year
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Re:

Postby duke_boy90 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:32 pm

TJayU wrote:Ellendale and Oakes have the Cowbell rivalry that's been going on since 1946.  It's more of a "fun" rivalry since it's not two powerhouses going at it, but it can get pretty nasty.  There's some intense hatred for one another. 

I agree. the game has a great atmosphere. gotta have more cowbell!
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby Milkman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:51 pm

Saw this on Yahoo....

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=935008

and it got me thinking, are there any rivalry games any of you would like to see played over(ha aside from just the ones you lost to a rival)?

Any really good games(basketball, football, baseball, etc) that if replayed would bring in a massive crowd?

Anybody else wanna throw on the jersey and play that team 15 miles away one more time? Actually, in this post I've seen alot of good rivalries mentioned. I'd also like to hear about some amazing specific games.
Let’s go cut down some nets boys.

-Saul Phillips
Milkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby tommykramer » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:01 pm

Milkman wrote:Saw this on Yahoo....

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=935008

and it got me thinking, are there any rivalry games any of you would like to see played over(ha aside from just the ones you lost to a rival)?

Any really good games(basketball, football, baseball, etc) that if replayed would bring in a massive crowd?

Anybody else wanna throw on the jersey and play that team 15 miles away one more time? Actually, in this post I've seen alot of good rivalries mentioned. I'd also like to hear about some amazing specific games.

I know its not a rivalry, but Hillsboro played Epping for a fundraiser for the Epping school.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby Milkman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:31 pm

Yea I heard about that. And I was also gonna add championship games people would like to see played again.

I would also like to mention that I am talking about replaying games not because one team unjustly lost but because the game was just that amazing that both teams would wanna relive it.
Let’s go cut down some nets boys.

-Saul Phillips
Milkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby squatch » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:27 am

Dickinson Trinity versus anyone everyone wants to beat them
squatch
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hunterlaf » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:10 pm

id say new town vs parshall or watford vs parshall on the fort berthold rez haha
Hunterlaf
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:27 pm

Hunterlaf wrote:id say new town vs parshall or watford vs parshall on the fort berthold rez haha

Please refrain from using the term "rez" on this site. It is not a flattering term to some.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:19 pm

Oak Grove vs. Central Cass

These games are always very heated games and always have a meaning to the game (first in the district, district tourney, region tourney, etc.). Blowout or close...they are always fun and interesting to watch.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby baloncesto » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:15 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Oak Grove vs. Central Cass

These games are always very heated games and always have a meaning to the game (first in the district, district tourney, region tourney, etc.). Blowout or close...they are always fun and interesting to watch.

I agree. In 2010 i believe they met up 3 or 4 times, also milnor and NS
Remember...there is always a little boy in the stands that wants to be just like you, don't disappoint him.
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Re:

Postby Old Baller » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:07 pm

xcolt90 wrote:Wilton vs. Wing is always a big deal and they even met in the state tournament in 2001.

Wilton - Washburn is another big rivalry in the middle of the state.

I believe Wilton and Wing were co-opting in football in 2001 when Wing beat Wilton for 5th place at State. Teammates on the field but rivals on the court injects an interesting dynamic.
Old Baller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hushmar » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:05 pm

Has to be South Heart vs. Belfield during 80's in boys hoops. Packed gyms, loud crowds, loyal fans, sheriff deputies to stop fights, refs helped to their cars by sheriff deputies, and most important great nail biting games. The good old days.
hushmar
NDPreps Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics