Wheres the Rock?

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed May 03, 2006 5:49 am

It has been awesome reading all the past great players...but I noticed nobody posted from Standing Rock or Standing Rock players...from my understanding(im only 34 years old) some of the LEGENDS for Boy's basketball were native americans from a few decades ago....anybody have any thoughts...?? From what some of the old timers have told me you could take 5 of the best basketball players from all time that were not on the rez and couldn't beat the top 5 players that played for the rez....again i'm not old enough to remember so I am asking any old timers to respond.....
bigpoppakdog

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed May 03, 2006 12:58 pm

Good point, didn't I see something that said Wylie Bearstail hold the record for state tournament scoring, however I believe he was from Mandaree.  Standing Rock had an outstanding team a few years ago and won state.  Thought I saw that on the Prairie Public Broadcasting show they did on the class B  tournaments.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Wed May 03, 2006 5:14 pm

Quinn Austin from S-Rock and some guy I forgot his name who is one of the leading scorers of all time  in the state he played for Ft. Yates.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Thu May 04, 2006 3:48 am

Danny Peltier/Dunseith was an awesome Native American BB playe
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby sioux75 » Thu May 11, 2006 6:18 am

The best player from Fort Yates that I remember watching was the late Bob Eaglestaff, (1968-71).  I believe they were the best team in 1970 or 71  and were upset by Jamestown.  Bob went on to have a good carreer at UND and is in the UND Hall of Fame.  He held the single game scoring record of 69 points for awhile.  Fort Yates was in Class A during the time he played there.  He passed away at 43. Aside from being a great basketball player he was a good man.
sioux75

Postby OkGo12 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:58 am

Robert Lawrence from Four Winds was a pretty good baller back in his day, people still say he got robbed on Mr. Basketball back in his high school days. . .
"The Desire Accomplished Is Sweet To The Soul"
[Proverbs 13:19]
OkGo12
NDPreps Starter

Postby InTheKnow » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:18 am

OkGo12 wrote:Robert Lawrence from Four Winds was a pretty good baller back in his day, people still say he got robbed on Mr. Basketball back in his high school days. . .

What year was Lawrence again? Definately a great player but not sure about Mr. Basketball. Who won it that year instead of him. The only player that I can really think of that really got robbed of the award in the past 10 years was Travis Kraft the year a highly overrated Marshal Brandt won it. Clearly no comparison.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:22 am

Ming01 wrote:Quinn Austin from S-Rock and some guy I forgot his name who is one of the leading scorers of all time  in the state he played for Ft. Yates.

Both Quinn and Marcus Austin could flat play. I was at the same UND basketball camp session as Quinn one year while he was still in junior high. He took home virtually every award and in the timmed 6 man 1-on-1 competition only one other guy scored. Hed had like 28 the other guy scored 2 off of someone else and the rest were helpless. He was only stopped like once. Did Quinn go anywhere to play after HS?
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:21 am

I believe he played at BSC but I don't know if he went anywhere after that.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:59 am

I know Quinn Austin played at BSC, but don't know if he went anywhere else.  Robert Lawrence actually played at Warwick, if he would have been at Four Winds, they would have had a couple of great teams.  I think he graduated in 2000, did Godfread from Grand Forks win Mr. Basketball that year? I know he was up for the award, but can't remember if he won it or not.  Another guy from Four Winds was Fred Longie in the mid 90's.  I think he led the state in rebounding and was near the top in scoring.  He was undersized but tough. 
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics