Best ever Region 1 basketball player

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Best ever Region 1 basketball player

Postby bradyg » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:17 pm

How do you guys think is the best Region 1 basketball player ever?
bradyg

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

Postby bradyg » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:21 pm

By the way my vote has to go to Chase Schutt. Not only was he a dominating rebounder and all around greater player, I don't think anyone in Region 1 can ever be compared to his pure shooting. I remember watching that kid shoot from anywhere on the court. 40 points was no problem for him in any game.
bradyg

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:28 pm

bradyg wrote:By the way my vote has to go to Chase Schutt. Not only was he a dominating rebounder and all around greater player, I don't think anyone in Region 1 can ever be compared to his pure shooting. I remember watching that kid shoot from anywhere on the court. 40 points was no problem for him in any game.

he was good....but 40 a game is rediculous....and btw my vote is for Jamie Mauch
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:41 pm

Kraft could put some points on the board....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby basketballer » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:16 pm

Leon Thielges-LaMoure, Bruce Shockman-LaMoure, and Derold Haugen-LaMoure have to be up there somewhere, thats how good the '76 team was.
basketballer

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:34 pm

brian buhr- page
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bradyg » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:53 pm

Jaime is good, but he's no Chase Schutt. I watched him drop 46 points one time like it was nothing. The guy had scholarship offers everywhere. He's also the second leading scorer ever to come out of Region 1. I think Jerry Pyle had two more points then he did.
bradyg

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:08 pm

where did Schutt end up going?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bradyg » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:24 pm

He actually ended up not playing anywhere. Went to school at NDSU but decided not to play. I guess he wanted to focus on life after basketball which is probably good. I talked to him a couple of times, and he said that the time commitment was too much. He had a couple of D1 scholarships and almost went to play at South Carolina.
bradyg

Postby bradyg » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:25 pm

Richie Timm also could have played anywhere he wanted to. NDSU wanted him to play, but he also wanted to focus on school.
bradyg

Postby ndsportsnut » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:33 am

bradyg, I have no doubt these players were studs. And I don't mean to start an arguement. But playing "anywhere" is a pretty bold statement. That list would include. UNC, Duke, Kansas, Memphis, Florida, UCLA, ect... The last time I remember anyone going D1 from N.D. and actually playing alot of minutes was Boschee. And he was a Class A player. I cant remember the last Class B player.
ndsportsnut
NDPreps Starter

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:45 am

scc wrote:
ndsportsnut wrote:bradyg, I have no doubt these players were studs. And I don't mean to start an arguement. But playing "anywhere" is a pretty bold statement. That list would include. UNC, Duke, Kansas, Memphis, Florida, UCLA, ect... The last time I remember anyone going D1 from N.D. and actually playing alot of minutes was Boschee. And he was a Class A player. I cant remember the last Class B player.

I think Travis Kraft was the last Class B player. Austin Dufault will be going D1.

i think he means gettin alot of minutes..
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndsportsnut » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:56 am

The key word here is "anywhere". There are alot of D1 schools you have never heard of. Kraft went to S. Carolina and injuries ended his college career. So we will never know how he would have did. I don't know where Default is going but going D1 and playing are two different things. I wish him luck

I guess this might be a different thread.
ndsportsnut
NDPreps Starter

Postby bradyg » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:39 am

Well I didn't mean like Duke or UCLA, but UND, NDSU, SDSU would have been no problem.
bradyg

Postby MT_20 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:05 am

ndsportsnut wrote:The key word here is "anywhere". There are alot of D1 schools you have never heard of. Kraft went to S. Carolina and injuries ended his college career. So we will never know how he would have did. I don't know where Default is going but going D1 and playing are two different things. I wish him luck

Default is playing for Colorado next year i think?
“Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.”
--Paul "Bear" Bryant
MT_20
NDPreps Starter

Postby gobison44 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:41 pm

getting back to the topic, the best region 1 player ever has got to be one of these= Jerry Pyle from CC in the late 60's, Brady Odegaard from Kindred in the mid 90's, Brooks Burgum from Northern Cass in the early 00's, Calvin Kraft from CC in the mid 00's, and finally Jamie Mauch
gobison44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:04 pm

ndsportsnut wrote:The key word here is "anywhere". There are alot of D1 schools you have never heard of. Kraft went to S. Carolina and injuries ended his college career. So we will never know how he would have did. I don't know where Default is going but going D1 and playing are two different things. I wish him luck

buzzer beater to win the game his freshman? year was the highlight of his career. showed he could prodcue when he did get on the floor just injuries limited his floor time.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballer23 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:44 pm

gobison44 wrote:getting back to the topic, the best region 1 player ever has got to be one of these= Jerry Pyle from CC in the late 60's, Brady Odegaard from Kindred in the mid 90's, Brooks Burgum from Northern Cass in the early 00's, Calvin Kraft from CC in the mid 00's, and finally Jamie Mauch

no disrespect to calvin kraft and jamie mauch but chase schutt was such a better player then those two. he also played during a time where region 1 had a lot better competition and players then the last few years.
bballer23

Postby bballer23 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:59 pm

scc wrote:Chase Schutt was a good player, but I'm not sure he's the best to come from region 1. I saw his Milnor team play Hillsboro years ago, and he played a decent game. Schutt wasn't a first team all-state player like some others to come out of region 1.

so you are judging him from one game you saw.
bballer23

Postby The Schwab » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:04 pm

i see some milnor folks have got preps accounts.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballer23 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:39 pm

The Schwab wrote:i see some milnor folks have got preps accounts.

i'm certainly not from milnor, but i did play against him in district one.
bballer23

Postby gobison44 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:20 pm

im a little surprised Mike Stowman's name hasnt been brought up
gobison44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby busch3434 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:38 am

Stowman really didn't burst onto the scene until his senior year. Alot of the names mentioned like the Schutt's, Mauch and Kraft's were talked about from freshmen or sophomore on.
busch3434
NDPreps Starter

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:45 pm

busch3434 wrote:Stowman really didn't burst onto the scene until his senior year. Alot of the names mentioned like the Schutt's, Mauch and Kraft's were talked about from freshmen or sophomore on.

i konw he was pretty good as a sophomore
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby busch3434 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:41 pm

I'm not saying he wasn't....but I'm just saying you didn't hear much of him. Ransom Schutt and Calvin Kraft were averaging double digits in scoring as sophomores and juniors with 2 or 3 other pretty good players. Schutt did it as a freshman but Kraft did a good job in relief as a freshman as well.
busch3434
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics