Best Players in a school's recent history

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby JimboJoe » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:02 pm

How about Brandon Bata from PBK a couple years ago? Stud player in high school, stud player when he played college ball at VCSU. Or even his brother Nick, great athelete also.
JimboJoe
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:22 pm

Jimmy K???- Carrington
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:32 pm

JimboJoe wrote:How about Brandon Bata from PBK a couple years ago? Stud player in high school, stud player when he played college ball at VCSU. Or even his brother Nick, great athelete also.

Brandon was way better then Nick.  they were both great athletes but Nick wasnt a great ball player.  ran the floor well for a big man and could really jump but he wasnt even the best player on his team, let alone to come out of the school.
Last edited by baseball on Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby JimboJoe » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:46 pm

I dont know if Brandon was way better had more points than his younger brother. I agree that his younger brother ran the court really well. Its hard saying whos better. Who did you say was a best player out of that school?
JimboJoe
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:48 pm

my arguement would be for Flourhaug
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfbfan » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:09 am

couple schools that haven't been mentioned

Halliday-Doug Swenson

Killdeer- (a way's back) Mike Lynch

Elgin/New Leipzig- Kyle Iverson
ndfbfan

Postby sportsguy2 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:09 pm

baseball wrote:my arguement would be for Flourhaug

I think its a toss em' up between Flourhaug and Brandon Bata. Bata's game was still good in college, lets see what Flourhaug can do for the Jimmies when he gets the shot.
sportsguy2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby JimboJoe » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:39 pm

My vote would be Brandon instead of Ross, for a couple of reasons. Although Ross scored more points then Brandon, Bata was a better rebounder, defender, blocker, shooter and didnt mind passing. Not saying that florhaug was bad or anything...
JimboJoe
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:45 pm

JimboJoe wrote:My vote would be Brandon instead of Ross, for a couple of reasons. Although Ross scored more points then Brandon, Bata was a better rebounder, defender, blocker, shooter and didnt mind passing. Not saying that florhaug was bad or anything...

maybe a better rebounder,defender,and blocker but shooter.......come on.  I enjoyed watching Flourhaug play, had all the fundamentals and a pure stroke.  no way Brandon was a better shooter.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby AandBfan » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:29 am

baseball wrote:
JimboJoe wrote:My vote would be Brandon instead of Ross, for a couple of reasons. Although Ross scored more points then Brandon, Bata was a better rebounder, defender, blocker, shooter and didnt mind passing. Not saying that florhaug was bad or anything...

maybe a better rebounder,defender,and blocker but shooter.......come on.  I enjoyed watching Flourhaug play, had all the fundamentals and a pure stroke.  no way Brandon was a better shooter.

They're both great players but i'd give the edge to Brandon
AandBfan

Postby The Schwab » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:44 pm

Finley Sharon "The legend" Chris "buddy" reinhart
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BBHoopz » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:44 pm

I'd have to go with Bata. Florhaug did score more points, but who did he score them on? It's hard to compare players from different years, but I'd have to say that Bata had to play against better competition than Florhaug did. Wasn't Bata a 2-time all-stater, Lion's all-star, and Mr. basketball finalist? Pretty good resume. It will be interesting to see how Florhaug does in college. He's redshirting at JC right?
BBHoopz
NDPreps Rookie

Postby JimboJoe » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:00 pm

That is true that Bata was a 2-time all-stater, Lion's all-star, and Mr. basketball finalist. He wasn't afraid to make the extra pass either. And yes he is redshirting at Jamestown College.
JimboJoe
NDPreps Reserve

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:57 am

Regarding Belcourt- Kiel L., Gorneau and Parisian are good but Kurt Keplin was the best player to ever come out of the Turtle Mountains with Danny Peltier a close second. 
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby cardinal10 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:22 pm

Jimmy K. was good on a pretty balanced Carrington team that won state his senior year.  Best player ever in Carrington was Doug Berglund-1978.
cardinal10
NDPreps Starter

Postby project-pat » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:09 pm

Chad Glasser, definately. What happened to him at DSU? Is he just taking a year off.
project-pat

Postby ndfbfan » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:48 pm

project-pat wrote:Chad Glasser, definately. What happened to him at DSU? Is he just taking a year off.

talked to his dad recently and he said there were some politics involved with his decision. His dad said he is looking at transferring, but wasn't quite sure where. Another Dac-10 school from the sounds of it.
ndfbfan

Postby project-pat » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:14 pm

who else could be their best player?
project-pat

Postby roy32 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:02 pm

I guess some of these choices could be debated forever and all the players that everyone seems to name are worthy.  Belcourt does not seem to be debated much, but didn't Dave Gourneau take them to a state championship game and make first team all state, as well as play for NCAA Division I Haskell.  I guess if you want to go way back, just knowing something about the area if you talk to anyone in that town the Best Basketball player to ever come out of there is Kurt Keplin 28.5ppg, 18rpg before there was a three point line.
roy32
NDPreps Rookie

Postby cubsfan » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:10 pm

mpcg-john rygg pretty far back. led may-port to multiple state tournaments.
Last edited by cubsfan on Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby the low down » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:54 pm

Velva - Gene Roebuck. (ok, it's not recent history, but got to respect the old school, and it is someone who is still contributing to North Dakota basketball today)
Last edited by the low down on Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the low down
NDPreps Starter

Postby project-pat » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:02 pm

i noticed tom volesky's name from beulah. Anybody got high school stats on this guy
project-pat

Postby Ping Pong » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:55 am

talked to his dad recently and he said there were some politics involved with his decision. His dad said he is looking at transferring, but wasn't quite sure where. Another Dac-10 school from the sounds of it.

i dont think chad is going anywhere but it wuld not surprise me if he played another sport.
Ping Pong

Postby #50mandan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:54 am

ndfan wrote:Jimmy K???- Carrington

how big was he in high school? like 240?
ill do it
#50mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:40 am

cardinal10 wrote:
AandBfan wrote:
bball wrote:What about in class B shcools?

Glen-Ulin- Jaden Voth

Bowman- Tivis, Pauley

Bismark- Bachmier

Hillsboro- Ethan Evenson

any others?

What about Leraas from Hillsboro?

Leeds-Brett Moser

Cando-Evan Lindahl

Minnewaukan-Kyle Clifton

Langdon-Brandon Badding

Minnewaukan has had a few better players than Clifton over the past so many years. 
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics