1957 State Class C Tournament

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby mgustafson » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:44 am

I graduated from Portal High School in 1964...and remember our Panthers going to the State Class C tournament, but cannot find any information about the teams, etc.

Michael D Gustafson

[url=mailto:mgustafson@ngpbiofuel.com]mgustafson@ngpbiofuel.com[/url]
mgustafson
NDPreps Rookie

Postby rep » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:18 pm

do you have a time frame for what you are looking for? i should be able to find some stuff, but i'm kind of swamped right now and it might take a week or two. would that still work?
rep

Postby mgustafson » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:26 pm

The time frame is March 1957...as Portal High School won a regional championship in Northwestern ND, and played in the Jamestown event.  Wade Kramer was a stand out player and made 45 points in the regional championship game.  It is also my understanding that Portal played in a double overtime and sudden death game, while Alsen went on to win the tournament.
mgustafson
NDPreps Rookie

Postby macone » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:29 pm

THE 8 TEAMS IN THE 1957 STATE C TOURNY WERE NOME BEATING ARTHUR 66-47.  TAYLOR OVER TOLLEY 64-56.  FT. TOTTEN OVER PORTAL 63-59 IN 2 OVERTIMES AND ALSEN DEFEATED ORISKA 56-55 IN ONE OVERTIME.  2ND ROUND SAW TAYLOR OVER NOME 59-58 AND ALSEN BEAT FT. TOTTEN .  ALSEN WENT ON TO WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP BEATING TAYLOR 65-56.  I KNOW THAT FT. TOTTEN BEAT NOME FOR THIRD AND ARTHUR BEAT ORISKA FOR 5TH.  WHO WON BETWEEN TOLLEY AND PORTAL? I WILL HAVE TO GO BACK TO THE DICKINSON PRESS MICRO-FISH AND LOOK SOME DAY. BUT I DO KNOW THAT WADE KRAMER HAD 25 IN THE LOSS TO ORISKA AND HE ALSO HAD 25 AGAINST FT. TOTTEN IN THE FIRST GAME.  WAYNE KOFFLER FROM TAYLOR AVERAGED 24 PER GAME FOR THE TOURNAMENT.  MAURICE HUNKE ALSO FROM THE TAYLOR REDBIRDS AVERAGED 18 FOR THE THREE GAMES.  HOPE THIS HELPS AND IS INTERESTING STUFF.  THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL.  MIKE MCNAMARA.
macone

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics