All-Decade Team of the 00's

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby ndfan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:18 am

[user=1019]north_border_eagles2106[/user] wrote:
Roughrider wrote:It doesnt matter what region you are from or whatever. this is so bogus, how can you gripe on someone just because he never made it to that state tournament or never won a state championship. that doesnt diminish the players abilities at all. Dan Marino is is concidered to be one of if not the best QB in NFL history and yet he has no superbowls. Having or not having state championships shouldnt be the deciding factor. yeah it is a nice thing to look at but it shouldnt say whether or not a player is good or not

No it shouldn't matter if you've won state championships but the thing is that Payton Tivis could've led his team to the state tournament last year or maybe even in 2004.  It's not like Trinity had a dominating team either of those years, the were beatable.  Bowman beat Trinity in the regular season and couldn't get it done at tournament time.  I still think the Chad Glasser and Craig Nelson are better than him.  Was he a Mr. Basketball candidate last year?  I can't remember who the Class "B" reps were.

Yes he was a Mr. Basketball canidate
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:43 am

Here's my top 5....based on who I've seen play

#1...Craig Nelson

#2...Brady Trenbeath

#3...Kyle Carr

#4...Robert Lawrence

#5...Evan Lindahl

I know Carr might not be a true 3 player, but he was 6'5" so it works for me.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:44 am

The Schwab wrote:Craig Nelson
Kyle Carr
Chris Reinhart
Tyler Moe
Adam Aarstead

The last three are kind of underrated

Are you kidding me Schwab??  Your last 3 are probably not even top 5 from Region 2 over that past 7 years.  Reinhart maybe.....last two not a chance.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:21 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Craig Nelson
Kyle Carr
Chris Reinhart
Tyler Moe
Adam Aarstead

The last three are kind of underrated

Are you kidding me Schwab??  Your last 3 are probably not even top 5 from Region 2 over that past 7 years.  Reinhart maybe.....last two not a chance.
Reinhart maybe? I think since Reinhart won the Senior athlete of the year in 2002 over some great players as well as being a Mr. Basktball finalist puts him in the top 5.  I don't know anything about Adam Aarstead so I don't know about him and I saw Tyler Moe play numberous times in his career and he deserves to be on this list and is definitely top 5 in Region 2.  I would probably put Brady Trenbeath on this list over Aarstead or Moe though.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:33 am

I'm sorry....Tyler Moe is not one of the top 5 players this state has seen in the past 7 years.  He was a very good player, yes, but not an elite player that doesn't come around very often like others listed have been.  If you say Reinhart belongs on here then so does Sizer.  They were both very good players on average teams that got 25 shots a game because everything revolved around them and they didn't have much support.  What I'm trying to say is that their stats are a little skewed because of that.  Not taking anything away from any of the 3 players mentioned, I just don't think they deserve elite status as top 5 in a decade.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:50 am

ndlionsfan wrote:I'm sorry....Tyler Moe is not one of the top 5 players this state has seen in the past 7 years.  He was a very good player, yes, but not an elite player that doesn't come around very often like others listed have been.  If you say Reinhart belongs on here then so does Sizer.  They were both very good players on average teams that got 25 shots a game because everything revolved around them and they didn't have much support.  What I'm trying to say is that their stats are a little skewed because of that.  Not taking anything away from any of the 3 players mentioned, I just don't think they deserve elite status as top 5 in a decade.

Wow, you just said that.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:07 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:I'm sorry....Tyler Moe is not one of the top 5 players this state has seen in the past 7 years.  He was a very good player, yes, but not an elite player that doesn't come around very often like others listed have been.  If you say Reinhart belongs on here then so does Sizer.  They were both very good players on average teams that got 25 shots a game because everything revolved around them and they didn't have much support.  What I'm trying to say is that their stats are a little skewed because of that.  Not taking anything away from any of the 3 players mentioned, I just don't think they deserve elite status as top 5 in a decade.
wow....you did not just compare beau sizer to chris reinhart
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wildcat » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:54 pm

PG - Craig Nelson
SG - Chad Glasser...this might not be pure, but both were good scorers.
SF - Kyle Carr...great spot, because he did everything, post up...shoot the 3..rebound
PF - Evan Lindahl
C  - Kyle Iverson...guy was amazing...an animal underneath.

second team

PG - Tyler Cook...not as good as scorer as Nelson, but just as good as floor general.
SG - Jake Holen...didnt see him play, but I believe credible sources.
SF - Brady Trenbeath
PF - Payton Tivis...did a lot on the court
C  - Derek Benter...Divide Co. kid, true center, playing at UND I believe.

The Benter pick might not be the best, I admit, but it was tough to think of true centers and he was 6-foot-8 I believe and had much better coordination and footwork then guys like Minot Ryan's Mitch Mayer. He was all-state, I'm pretty sure.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:02 pm

Wildcat wrote:PG - Craig Nelson
SF - Kyle Carr...great spot, because he did everything, post up...shoot the 3..rebound
PF - Evan Lindahl

second team

PG - Tyler Cook...not as good as scorer as Nelson, but just as good as floor general.
SF - Brady Trenbeath

The Benter pick might not be the best, I admit, but it was tough to think of true centers and he was 6-foot-8 I believe and had much better coordination and footwork then guys like Minot Ryan's Mitch Mayer. He was all-state, I'm pretty sure.

He might have done a lot, but the guy was no taller then 6'2". How can you put him at the PF position?

I'd take Kyle Nelson from MPCG over Benter. Just my opinion.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wildcat » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:35 pm

baller01 wrote:
PF - Evan Lindahl

second team

SF - Brady Trenbeath

He might have done a lot, but the guy was no taller then 6'2". How can you put him at the PF position?

I guess I'd have a smaller lineup...haha...by the way...I started thinking about it and I'll take Berthold's Adam Grant over Derek Benter anyday, though Benter's more of atrue center.

I played against Grant and he was tough to guard.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:20 am

horne98 wrote:for how everyone says that lorenz gets talked up on the board why is he not mentioned. He was two time first team all-state, Co-senior player of the year, the top class b vote getter for mr. basketball, Four year starter, state tournament mvp and he performed very well in two state tournament and nearly led an overrachieving mpcg to state again. The best defensive player in the decade, and scoring nearly 1,500 for a dynasty program is not bad for a defensive player. 

I wouldn't put Lorenz in the top 5 but definitely top 10.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Tu-Big » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:12 pm

Wildcat wrote:
baller01 wrote:
PF - Evan Lindahl

second team

SF - Brady Trenbeath

I guess I'd have a smaller lineup...haha...by the way...I started thinking about it and I'll take Berthold's Adam Grant over Derek Benter anyday, though Benter's more of atrue center.

I played against Grant and he was tough to guard.

Id go with Payton Tivis before Holen at the second team 2., and take off Holen because ive never heard of him and Payton did everything for Bowman for 4 years. Then id put Grant on there at the PF and maybe leave Benter...if i had to pick between the 2 i would go with Grant though...he single handedly took his team to the state title game if i remember right against Mayville with an 8th grade point guard. He could do everything too, handled the ball, shot well, and posted up...not bad for a 6'8'' kid.
Tu-Big

Postby jetblue12 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:48 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
horne98 wrote:for how everyone says that lorenz gets talked up on the board why is he not mentioned. He was two time first team all-state, Co-senior player of the year, the top class b vote getter for mr. basketball, Four year starter, state tournament mvp and he performed very well in two state tournament and nearly led an overrachieving mpcg to state again. The best defensive player in the decade, and scoring nearly 1,500 for a dynasty program is not bad for a defensive player. 

I wouldn't put Lorenz in the top 5 but definitely top 10.

i think thats a bit of a stretch i havent seen him guard a good guard that well, being 6'3" you should be able to do that.  yes he guards forwards and centers well but he lacks the quickness to guard on the perimeter.

i agree nbe2106 not top 5-- but definitely top 15
Last edited by jetblue12 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
jetblue12
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:45 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Here's my top 5....based on who I've seen play

#1...Craig Nelson

#2...Brady Trenbeath

#3...Kyle Carr

#4...Robert Lawrence

#5...Evan Lindahl

I know Carr might not be a true 3 player, but he was 6'5" so it works for me.

Nice choice, kid can shoot the lights out!  I think he still can!  I have seen him play a couple times in Rec Tournaments. 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby gator-nation » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:03 pm

u could almost throw tivis on the first team.
gator-nation

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:12 pm

gator-nation wrote:u could almost throw tivis on the first team.

No you couldn't
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BBall dominator » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:30 pm

playing against both and watching both play I was more impressed w/ tivis just because brady put up ALOT more shots and tivis was more smooth and I think had a better shot both could get to the rim about the same IMO i would have to go w/ tivis
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Swine-O » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:46 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
Roughrider wrote:It doesnt matter what region you are from or whatever. this is so bogus, how can you gripe on someone just because he never made it to that state tournament or never won a state championship. that doesnt diminish the players abilities at all. Dan Marino is is concidered to be one of if not the best QB in NFL history and yet he has no superbowls. Having or not having state championships shouldnt be the deciding factor. yeah it is a nice thing to look at but it shouldnt say whether or not a player is good or not

No it shouldn't matter if you've won state championships but the thing is that Payton Tivis could've led his team to the state tournament last year or maybe even in 2004.  It's not like Trinity had a dominating team either of those years, the were beatable.  Bowman beat Trinity in the regular season and couldn't get it done at tournament time.  I still think the Chad Glasser and Craig Nelson are better than him.  Was he a Mr. Basketball candidate last year?  I can't remember who the Class "B" reps were.

I would have to disagree with this statement. personally, I think trinity did have a dominating team last year. I would put them in the top 2 or 3 state championship teams of this decade.
Tradition Doesn't Graduate
Swine-O
NDPreps Reserve

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:09 pm

They were a great team but they were beatable because Bowman did beat them that year but didn't get it done at tournament time when Trinity always flips the switch.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Larrylegend33 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:02 pm

I'd clone Tivis and put him on the first team twice.  If I couldn't clone him, I'd only dress 4 players.  I mean, we've got Tivis, what else do we need? 

He won multiple state champions... ok he didn't, but he was Mr. basketb... ok guess not, but his team did win Region Sev... ok maybe not, but the Bulldogs did beat Trinity once in early December during his senior year so he's clearly a 1st teamer. 
Larrylegend33
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:21 am

[user=458]dominationSCS[/user] wrote:
playing against both and watching both play I was more impressed w/ tivis just because brady put up ALOT more shots and tivis was more smooth and I think had a better shot both could get to the rim about the same IMO i would have to go w/ tivis

Yeah if you wanna team of smooth players sure go with Tivis, but if you want somebody who knows how to win and can get it done when it counts you go with Trenbeath. I wanna win so i go with Trenbeath.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:49 am

ndfan wrote:[user=458]dominationSCS[/user] wrote:

Yeah if you wanna team of smooth players sure go with Tivis, but if you want somebody who knows how to win and can get it done when it counts you go with Trenbeath. I wanna win so i go with Trenbeath.

Thank you ndfan that was exactly what needed to be said.  Tivis may make it look better or easier or whatever but anytime you played cavalier from 2002-2004 and you were guarding brady trenbeath you were going to be out of gas by the end of the game.  He played hard every second he was on the court.  He did put up more shots yes but most of those shots were at the free throw line.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby mitchstrand » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:49 am

Why is there no mention of Tyler Greff from Mott/Regent???

Many don't remember, but he started some games for DSU as a true freshman, then decided to commit himself to only football....which produced a 1st team all-conf. this season @ WR.  He was the Class B BB player of the year in 2002??? I think that was the year...He put up huge numbers and didn't have anyone that could stop him....for the exception of Dickinson Trinity...go figure.
Even though Iverson was only a sophomore when Greff played him....Greff and Mott/Regent killed Elgin/New Leipzig that E/Nl started to staul after the first half down by like 15. 

Not saying that Greff is better than Iverson, i think it is clear that Iverson had a far better senior year with a team that wouldn't win more than 2 games without him.  Iverson developed into a GREAT player, but Greff did dominate him in his sophomore year. 
Last edited by mitchstrand on Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
mitchstrand
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baller01 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:51 pm

Good point on Greff. That guy could jump out of the gym too...
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Tu-Big » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:29 pm

mitchstrand wrote:Why is there no mention of Tyler Greff from Mott/Regent???

Many don't remember, but he started some games for DSU as a true freshman, then decided to commit himself to only football....which produced a 1st team all-conf. this season @ WR.  He was the Class B BB player of the year in 2002??? I think that was the year...He put up huge numbers and didn't have anyone that could stop him....for the exception of Dickinson Trinity...go figure.
Even though Iverson was only a sophomore when Greff played him....Greff and Mott/Regent killed Elgin/New Leipzig that E/Nl started to staul after the first half down by like 15. 

Not saying that Greff is better than Iverson, i think it is clear that Iverson had a far better senior year with a team that wouldn't win more than 2 games without him.  Iverson developed into a GREAT player, but Greff did dominate him in his sophomore year. 

Kids should get dominated their sophmore year by seniors...thats just the way it should be, Iverson did developed into a great player thats a good point, but you cant put someone else on the team just because he dominated someone younger than him, and Elgin was terrible if i remember right and Mott almost went to a state toury that year. I think Greff was a very good player, but i dont think he deserves to be on this team.
Tu-Big

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics