Class A Regions in the 70's

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby Mandan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:58 am

I've always been curious exactly what teams were in the 4 regions back in the 70's when Class A Basketball had 4 regions.  Since I graduated from high school in 1991, I'm too young to have any first-hand knowlege of how they looked, but I do remember seeing Southwest Region banners hanging in gyms.  

Also, were the enrollment requirements for Class A any different than they are now?
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:34 am

Good questions....I would like to know also.  Enrollment requirements must have changed over time.  I just can't see towns like Mott being class A at one time, but they were.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:18 pm

Interesting to see what towns were class A and the years they participated.  Anyone know anything on enrollments being different?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby BaldEagle » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:42 pm

During the late 1960's, the missile silo's near Langdon brought in workers and almost doubled the populations of Langdon and Cavalier.  Grafton, Park River, Rugby, Harvey were all Class A. 
BaldEagle
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mandan » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:58 am

One other thing to keep in mind is that towns like Mott were bigger back then... and the larger towns were smaller, so the difference in students was not as large as it would be today if you put these same regions together.

I notice a lot of those smaller town schools moved to class A around the year that they established the four regions, so they must have changed the requirements for the two classes in that year, causing quite a few schools to move up to Class A.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:21 am

Mandan wrote:I've always been curious exactly what teams were in the 4 regions back in the 70's when Class A Basketball had 4 regions.  Since I graduated from high school in 1991, I'm too young to have any first-hand knowlege of how they looked, but I do remember seeing Southwest Region banners hanging in gyms.  

Also, were the enrollment requirements for Class A any different than they are now?

Early 70's - 75
South East Region.... North, South, Shanley, West Fargo, Wahpeton, Lisbon, Jamestown, Valley City.

North East Region.... Red River, Central, Langdon, Grafton, Devils Lake, Park River, Larimore

North West Region... Minot, Williston, Rugby, Minot Ryan, Harvey, Belcourt...??

South West Region.... Bismarck High, Bismarck St Marys, Dickinson, Fort Yates, Dickinson Trinity, Century joined in 76

Those are the ones I remember
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:24 am

bruins44 wrote:
Mandan wrote:I've always been curious exactly what teams were in the 4 regions back in the 70's when Class A Basketball had 4 regions.  Since I graduated from high school in 1991, I'm too young to have any first-hand knowlege of how they looked, but I do remember seeing Southwest Region banners hanging in gyms.  

Early 70's - 75
South East Region.... North, South, Shanley, West Fargo, Wahpeton, Lisbon, Jamestown, Valley City.

North East Region.... Red River, Central, Langdon, Grafton, Devils Lake, Park River, Larimore

North West Region... Minot, Williston, Rugby, Minot Ryan, Harvey, Belcourt...??

South West Region.... Bismarck High, Bismarck St Marys, Dickinson, Fort Yates, Dickinson Trinity, Century joined in 76

Those are the ones I remember

Bottineau was in that North West Region
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby mplsfan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:32 pm

I graduated in 1980 and was in one of the smaller class A high schools at the time. I believe that the enrollment requirements were the same then as they are now. I think 325 in grades 9-12 was/is the cut off for A and B. These smaller class A schools at the time (Rugby, Bottineau, Langdon etc. ) were all in the 350-400 range at the time. You may remember that following the 4 region set up they went to the 3 conference set up. The EDC and WDA were as they presently are then there was the North Star Conference with Devils Lake, Valley City, Grafton, Rugby, Bottineau, Harvey, Ryan, Belcourt, Carrington and Langdon. The WDA and EDC sent their top 3 to state tournaments and the North Star sent their top 2. It's interesting that this old North Star Conference is very similar to the present AA football line-up of schools. What goes around comes around.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics