Best HS B-Ball Game Ever Witnessed?

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Re: Best HS B-Ball Game Ever Witnessed?

Postby T$$ » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:19 am

I am glad someone finally mentioned the 2010 bismarck vs mandan game. The best game I remember was 1990 (I think) when west fargo beat bhs in ot. Wf was down 1 and a kid was fouled with no time left and made 1 out of two to go into ot. Anyone who saw boschee play his senior year would be hard pressed to find a more exciting environment regardless of who they were playing.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Re: Best HS B-Ball Game Ever Witnessed?

Postby Old Baller » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:00 am

1969 Fargo Oak Grove vs Ellendale at Ellendale. A late regular season game; ranked #1 and #2 and both undefeated as I recall. Oak Grove won by a basket as Charlie Sizer's shot from deep in the left corner bounced off the rim at the buzzer. Oak Grove won the state title that year. I remember it was a great game but can't recal any details other than the last shot. (It's been a while!!)

The next one was not necessarily the best game I witnessed but it was one of my most memorable:

1965 Wing vs Braddock at Braddock fairly late in the regular season. Wing was undefeated and ranked #3 I believe; this was not supposed to be much of a contest. However, Braddock played tough that night and the game was tied after three quarters. Wing's Ron Pearson, a starting guard, was dressed for the game but hadn't played due to a wrist or arm injury suffered the week before; he was wearing a support brace. He had been begging Coach Bill Michelson to let him play but Bill was reluctant to risk him to further injury. FInally he gave in and let Ron enter the game at the start of the 4th quarter. Well, Ron scored 8 points in the quarter and must have had 3 or 4 rebounds and Wing ended up winning by 8. Not a bad performance for a guy with essentially 1 1/2 arms!
Old Baller
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics