A Senior that embraced "Junior Varsity"

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby Gods country » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:13 pm

A high school basketball athlete is one that gauges their personal success by the number of interviews they have given in their local paper, points scored, minutes played and being in the "starting five" on the high school varsity team. While all of these are great accomplishments for anyone that plays sports in high school, people fail to realize the role and the importance of having a support system from your Junior Varsity team. Although this squad usually endures beatings in practice from the Varsity and are often looked at as the appetizer before the main course on a night of basketball games, they do serve a purpose and only a few seem to appreciate it. Having been a fan of North Dakota Basketball over the years, I remember one guy from the junior varsity squad of Devils Lake, whose name I won't mention due to the fact he still lives locally (initials D.D.), who night in and night out played hard for the junior varsity in 1995 (this being his senior year!) without putting up a fuss or complaining one bit.

I consistently hear kids complain about not getting enough shots or minutes even as sophomores on their respective varsity teams. I am proud to have watched and am still in awe of D.D. from Devils Lake who had a solid bead of sweat on his forehead in the warm-ups before the game and at halftime (even if he only got to play 5-10 minutes a game)! Having someone to rebound during warm-ups and pass the ball to the guys whose job it is to shoot and score is important.

When you are at the local high school game this Friday, I ask you to take some time between the sips of your soda and small talk and look at the kids working hard so that the ones that get to play don't have to.

Take care and wherever you are D.D. - your enthusiasm and the energy you brought to the warm-ups/games will be a cherished memory for me and also sets the bar in regards to what makes North Dakota High School Athletics worth watching and the work ethic that all kids should have!
Last edited by Gods country on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gods country
NDPreps Rookie

Postby wawa » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:42 pm

Yeah.. I'm pretty sure they are the "Firebirds". Just letting you know.
wawa
NDPreps Rookie

Postby 1337 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:57 pm

Enjoyed the post thoroughly Gods country. The picture even made it better!

This is too true folks. Don't forget those athletes for they are truly are what sports are about.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 4 Winds Pride » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:25 am

[font=comic sans ms]i even heard dean (oops) even used lead the EDC and maybe state with his w.p.p.g. (warm-up points per game) and w.r.p.g. (warm-up rebounds per game) average back in 1995.  i think those records are still untouched to this day.  only bundy and marty g.w. were close to beating his record.  even though those three were probably the only players that kept track of it, that still is something that he should be proud of.[/font]
4 Winds Pride

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics