best class b teams in the past decade?

Legends of hs sports other than Basketball and Football.

Postby Shocker » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:44 am

InTheKnow wrote:From 1997-2003. A town we will not name caused problems while they were there in 1996. So because of one bad situation all the other towns had to suffer.
Grrrrr. I wish my memory was good enough to remember who won state in 1996.
Shocker
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:21 am

Postby Chris Plante Fan » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:22 pm

I think that Hatton won in 1996, but they didn't go to the Midwest Regional.  That team was stacked by the way.  They had one lefty that threw it 92 and other that threw about 85 and a couple of righties that threw it over 82.  Cory Pladson hit something like 30 homeruns that summer and drove in 80 runs while Randy Cranston hit another 20 bombs.  That team may have been from 1997, I guess.  I just can't remember.  Why aren't those guys getting any love?  They would have killed the Thompson team from 2005.  Do you honestly think that Zach Kvidt could even get the bat around on a 92 MPH pitch?
Chris Plante Fan
 

Postby ndfan » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:17 am

[user=2119]Chris Plante Fan[/user] wrote:
I think that Hatton won in 1996, but they didn't go to the Midwest Regional.  That team was stacked by the way.  They had one lefty that threw it 92 and other that threw about 85 and a couple of righties that threw it over 82.  Cory Pladson hit something like 30 homeruns that summer and drove in 80 runs while Randy Cranston hit another 20 bombs.  That team may have been from 1997, I guess.  I just can't remember.  Why aren't those guys getting any love?  They would have killed the Thompson team from 2005.  Do you honestly think that Zach Kvidt could even get the bat around on a 92 MPH pitch?


Never heard of that Hatton team so sorry I can't give any love to that team. You are right the 2005 Thompson team probably couldn't beat them (if they are as good as you say). But the Thompson team of i believe 99' would give anybody a run for there money. And of course I'm bias when I say Cavalier but when you win three straight state championships you gotta be talented all around with good depth.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
User avatar
ndfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3046
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:45 am
Location: Grafton

Postby Chris Plante Fan » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:09 pm

Yeah man, that team was loaded from top to bottom.  And I had a chance to play against two of those Cavalier teams, but I just don't think that North Dakota Class B baseball will ever be as good as it was in the mid 90's.  As for the Thompson team of 1999, they were extremely good!  But honestly, in 1997 Hope-Page, Central Valley, and Hatton all had teams that could have beaten the 1999 Thompson team.
Chris Plante Fan
 

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:33 pm

Chris Plante Fan wrote:Yeah man, that team was loaded from top to bottom.  And I had a chance to play against two of those Cavalier teams, but I just don't think that North Dakota Class B baseball will ever be as good as it was in the mid 90's.  As for the Thompson team of 1999, they were extremely good!  But honestly, in 1997 Hope-Page, Central Valley, and Hatton all had teams that could have beaten the 1999 Thompson team.

That Hatton Team was great.  I think it was the 97 legion that they won. Our legion played against that team last year, minus corey pladson. They were still stacked. Even though they were a bit rusty, they still were great.
thunderbaseball_38
 

Postby the low down » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:05 am

Chris Plante Fan wrote:Yeah man, that team was loaded from top to bottom.  And I had a chance to play against two of those Cavalier teams, but I just don't think that North Dakota Class B baseball will ever be as good as it was in the mid 90's.  As for the Thompson team of 1999, they were extremely good!  But honestly, in 1997 Hope-Page, Central Valley, and Hatton all had teams that could have beaten the 1999 Thompson team.

I could go along with that...  I played in the '97 state HS tournament and from what I remember, it was anyone's show.  It went down to the last inning.
the low down
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:16 am
Location: the "952", ,

Postby BBTL » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:51 pm

 The 1997 legion season was the greatest year I have seen for pitching in the last 30 years. Hatton had Pladson, CV had Kleveland, HopePage had the oldest Burchill, Thompson had Brantl and that is just one district. Cavalier, Grafton, and Munich had a great #1's.  That was four more teams in the regional along with the above teams.

Any of those teams would have probably beaten the 1999 Thompson and other teams of the decade 7 out of 10 times just because of the stud pitcher factor.

What made Hatton stand out was their hitting, overall pitching, and defense with players like Pladson, Cranston, David and Jonny Thompson, and Tom Maus!!

But the bottom line is that this all opinion and fun to compare. That is what makes baseball the game that it is.
BBTL
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:02 am

Postby InTheKnow » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Chris Plante Fan wrote:I think that Hatton won in 1996, but they didn't go to the Midwest Regional.  That team was stacked by the way.  They had one lefty that threw it 92 and other that threw about 85 and a couple of righties that threw it over 82.  Cory Pladson hit something like 30 homeruns that summer and drove in 80 runs while Randy Cranston hit another 20 bombs.  That team may have been from 1997, I guess.  I just can't remember.  Why aren't those guys getting any love?  They would have killed the Thompson team from 2005.  Do you honestly think that Zach Kvidt could even get the bat around on a 92 MPH pitch?


WOW!!! How old were you in 96-97 so they seemed like absolute gods to you? I am sorry but you are way off with your info.

State Champs  97- Hatton 98- Hope Page

#1- Cory Pladson never threw even close to 92 miles an hour. I know first hand because I faced him at least 10 times and have faced guys at the amateur level that throw upper 80's and low 90's and he was around 83-85. Being left handed had he thrown 92 he would have been an automatic draft pick no later then the mid 30's rounds. Yes great pitcher but incorrect info.

#2- 50 home runs between Cranston and Pladson, sorry no chance. I dont recall even seeing Cranston ever hit a home run agains us in my three years of playing against him. Again solid player but get serious with your stats. If you said Pladson hit 20 over the summer i might believe it but not 30. The pitching he faced at that time in the area was too tough to reach that total in the amount of games they would have played.

BTW- Who else thew 82? Definately not Maus. They had three players. 1 outstanding one, two very good players and everyone else was just above average or average for class B. Thompson had by far more depth of talent in the past couple of years in comparison to Hatton.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 755
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:44 am

Postby Chris Plante Fan » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:12 am

I was wrong with the 92 MPH, but he was clocked at 88.  As for the homeruns, he actually did hit 30 his last summer of Legion ball.  The other pitcher that threw gas wasn't Maus, because he didn't even pitch that well, but Jonny Thompson.
Last edited by Chris Plante Fan on Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Plante Fan
 

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:30 pm

Chris Plante Fan wrote:I was wrong with the 92 MPH, but he was clocked at 88.  As for the homeruns, he actually did hit 30 his last summer of Legion ball.  The other pitcher that threw gas wasn't Maus, because he didn't even pitch that well, but Jonny Thompson.


Yeah 92 is pushing it. I can definately believe him touching 88 on a good day but was around 84 consistantly. Yes I forgot about the Thompson's because they transfered from Park River. David would have been more relied on in 97 as Johnny i think was a 99 grad. However he didn't throw that hard. Maybe touch 83-84. 

Two things Pladson really had going for him was he was left handed, and had a little streak of wildness in him that made him even tougher because of the late run on his fastball. The ball appeared it was going to ride hard in and would sit over the inside corner for a strike or if it was on the outer edge would run away.
Last edited by InTheKnow on Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 755
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:44 am

Postby Chris Plante Fan » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:27 am

I just think that it's amazing that there were so many guys who threw over , say, 83 in the mid- to late nineties, you know?  Last year in the same Region that we've been talking about, there was maybe one guy who threw over 80, and he hardly ever pitched.  Jacob Wurtz was probably to only guy who threw over 80 and he was very hittable.  It's just not the same anymore.
Chris Plante Fan
 

Postby InTheKnow » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:58 pm

Chris Plante Fan wrote:I just think that it's amazing that there were so many guys who threw over , say, 83 in the mid- to late nineties, you know?  Last year in the same Region that we've been talking about, there was maybe one guy who threw over 80, and he hardly ever pitched.  Jacob Wurtz was probably to only guy who threw over 80 and he was very hittable.  It's just not the same anymore.


Oh without a doubt.

St Thomas/Valley- David Hurst, Joe Okeefe

Grafton- Aaron Klinske

Fordville- Grant Skibiski, Casey Linstad

Minto- Ryan Kowalski

Cavalier- Wayne Martin, Brian Stark, Chad Amidon

Drayton- Nathan Kasperovich

Thompson- Josh McMenemy (help me here with names I know there are more)

Hatton- Cory Pladson

Hope Page- Justin Burchill

Central Valley- Chris Kleveland

There were more but thats all I can think of off the top of my head from 95-99 for guys i know were there for sure. There were MANY others around 80 or so.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 755
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:44 am

Postby ndfan » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:16 pm

[user=215]InTheKnow[/user] wrote:
Chris Plante Fan wrote:I just think that it's amazing that there were so many guys who threw over , say, 83 in the mid- to late nineties, you know?  Last year in the same Region that we've been talking about, there was maybe one guy who threw over 80, and he hardly ever pitched.  Jacob Wurtz was probably to only guy who threw over 80 and he was very hittable.  It's just not the same anymore.


Oh without a doubt.

St Thomas/Valley- David Hurst, Joe Okeefe

Grafton- Aaron Klinske

Fordville- Grant Skibiski, Casey Linstad

Minto- Ryan Kowalski

Cavalier- Wayne Martin, Brian Stark, Chad Amidon

Drayton- Nathan Kasperovich

Thompson- Josh McMenemy (help me here with names I know there are more)

Hatton- Cory Pladson

Hope Page- Justin Burchill

Central Valley- Chris Kleveland

There were more but thats all I can think of off the top of my head from 95-99 for guys i know were there for sure. There were MANY others around 80 or so.


When I think Thompson and pitching it was Mcmenemy and then wasn't there a couple Schumachers??? I can't think of there first names but they were darn good too.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
User avatar
ndfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3046
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:45 am
Location: Grafton

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:17 pm

Brian and Scott Schumacher graduated after 2001. Other schumachers during the mid to late 90's I cant remember.

Couple names I forgot to mention-

Lunski- Thompson (played at UND, a Juco, Southwest Missouri, and i think Cal-Irvine)

Scott Hanson- Tolna

Steve(?) Walsh- Rollette
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 755
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:44 am

Postby Flyer » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:21 pm

Chris Plante Fan wrote:I think that Hatton won in 1996, but they didn't go to the Midwest Regional.  That team was stacked by the way.  They had one lefty that threw it 92 and other that threw about 85 and a couple of righties that threw it over 82.  Cory Pladson hit something like 30 homeruns that summer and drove in 80 runs while Randy Cranston hit another 20 bombs.  That team may have been from 1997, I guess.  I just can't remember.  Why aren't those guys getting any love?  They would have killed the Thompson team from 2005.  Do you honestly think that Zach Kvidt could even get the bat around on a 92 MPH pitch?

Hatton won it the legion tournament in 97 with ease. That was the first year ND was not invited into the Midwest tourney, I know this because I was on this Hatton team. I will let you know who caused all the trouble the year before because it has made me mad because we had a good chance of doing very well in the Midwest.. GRAFTON/ST. THOMAS is the team that wrecked it for the next five years..
Flyer
 

Postby sodadrinker » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:41 pm

anyone here of rocky reddig or derrick marquart (not sure on spelling) of harvey in the late 90's
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
User avatar
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:58 pm

Postby cash » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:04 pm

sodadrinker wrote:anyone here of rocky reddig or derrick marquart (not sure on spelling) of harvey in the late 90's
rocky reddig was a dominant pitcher, mid 80s pitcher, i cant remember marquart, but i remember reddig, man he was fun to watch throw the ball
cash
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:41 am
Location: USA

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:16 pm

Flyer wrote:I will let you know who caused all the trouble the year before because it has made me mad because we had a good chance of doing very well in the Midwest.. GRAFTON/ST. THOMAS is the team that wrecked it for the next five years..

You are correct. You said it. I didnt. ;)
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 755
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:44 am

Postby ndfan » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:34 am

HAHA what did Grafton ST do to wreck it?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
User avatar
ndfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3046
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:45 am
Location: Grafton

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:21 am

ndfan wrote:HAHA what did Grafton ST do to wreck it?

They pulled a typical grafton during that time. They trashed their rooms among other things while they were there and I believe there were some things during games as well that were uncalled for. It is not the first time that has been the case of something like that happening by Grafton. Earlier in the 90's the cops were called to remove a bunch of parents who were openly drinking in the outfield at the district legion tournament (it is believed some of the players were as well but nothing happened) they left at least three cases of beer cans laying on the ground. Thankfully there is a new guard of parents, coaches, and athletes so things like that do not take place anymore. It was not good and is just an example of why Grafton has been kind of hated or rooted against by other area communities.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 755
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:44 am

Postby thundastruck. » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:49 pm

ndfan wrote:[user=2119]Chris Plante Fan[/user] wrote:
I think that Hatton won in 1996, but they didn't go to the Midwest Regional.� That team was stacked by the way.� They had one lefty that threw it 92 and other that threw about 85 and a couple of righties that threw it over 82.� Cory Pladson hit something like 30 homeruns that summer and drove in 80 runs while Randy Cranston hit another 20 bombs.� That team may have been from 1997, I guess.� I just can't remember.� Why aren't those guys getting any love?� They would have killed the Thompson team from 2005.� Do you honestly think that Zach Kvidt could even get the bat around on a 92 MPH pitch?


Never heard of that Hatton team so sorry I can't give any love to that team. You are right the 2005 Thompson team probably couldn't beat them (if they are as good as you say). But the Thompson team of i believe 99' would give anybody a run for there money. And of course I'm bias when I say Cavalier but when you win three straight state championships you gotta be talented all around with good depth.

never heard of hatton? are they on their own yet?  nope- cant field a team without help
thundastruck.
 

Postby thundastruck. » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:52 pm

ndfan wrote:[user=215]InTheKnow[/user] wrote:
Chris Plante Fan wrote:I just think that it's amazing that there were so many guys who threw over , say, 83 in the mid- to late nineties, you know?� Last year in the same Region that we've been talking about, there was maybe one guy who threw over 80, and he hardly ever pitched.� Jacob Wurtz was probably to only guy who threw over 80 and he was very hittable.� It's just not the same anymore.


Oh without a doubt.

St Thomas/Valley- David Hurst, Joe Okeefe

Grafton- Aaron Klinske

Fordville- Grant Skibiski, Casey Linstad

Minto- Ryan Kowalski

Cavalier- Wayne Martin, Brian Stark, Chad Amidon

Drayton- Nathan Kasperovich

Thompson- Josh McMenemy (help me here with names I know there are more)

Hatton- Cory Pladson

Hope Page- Justin Burchill

Central Valley- Chris Kleveland

There were more but thats all I can think of off the top of my head from 95-99 for guys i know were there for sure. There were MANY others around 80 or so.


When I think Thompson and pitching it was Mcmenemy and then wasn't there a couple Schumachers??? I can't think of there first names but they were darn good too.


nick schumacher-stud in the 90's

better than Brian and Scott Schumacher in 00's

not related to each other i dont think
Last edited by thundastruck. on Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thundastruck.
 

Postby thundastruck. » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:55 pm

InTheKnow wrote:
Flyer wrote:I will let you know who caused all the trouble the year before because it has made me mad because we had a good chance of doing very well in the Midwest.. GRAFTON/ST. THOMAS is the team that wrecked it for the next five years..

You are correct. You said it. I didnt. ;)


what did they do?
thundastruck.
 

Postby InTheKnow » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:20 am

thundastruck. wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:
Flyer wrote:I will let you know who caused all the trouble the year before because it has made me mad because we had a good chance of doing very well in the Midwest.. GRAFTON/ST. THOMAS is the team that wrecked it for the next five years..

You are correct. You said it. I didnt. ;)


what did they do?

I posted what happened a couple posts above.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 755
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:44 am

Postby thundastruck. » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:38 pm

InTheKnow wrote:
thundastruck. wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:
Flyer wrote:I will let you know who caused all the trouble the year before because it has made me mad because we had a good chance of doing very well in the Midwest.. GRAFTON/ST. THOMAS is the team that wrecked it for the next five years..

You are correct. You said it. I didnt. ;)


what did they do?

I posted what happened a couple posts above.

my bad,,,,     yeah that would ruin things for a while.....
thundastruck.
 

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron