Teams Dropping?

throughout the state

Teams Dropping?

Postby ND_9man_DC » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:52 pm

I heard a few rumors about several teams dropping out of the league this year, including Rugby, Langdon, Walsh County, and Grand Forks. Any truth behind this?
User avatar
ND_9man_DC
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Crosby, , USA

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby JRgoldfan » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:41 pm

I thought Rugby was cooping with Botno at the PW & Bantam levels, but would still have a JR GOLD Team.

Grand Forks is down to one team the Stallions (Gold dropped last year).

I've heard of a co-op between Sidney/Watford City and also Walsh County (Park River)/Langdon.

I guess we will all know for sure after the scheduling meeting on the 20th of September.

From the looks of it though, we are down to an 8 team league at the JR Gold level.
JRgoldfan
 

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby AC-DC » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:01 am

With teams Co-op'ing to get full rosters and Grand Forks dropping teams if they don't have 20 on a team, I don't know how the small isolated teams (Crosby) can stay in the league. We'll be very lucky to have 9 high school kids and will play up a handfull of Bantams. The only thing that gave us any encouragement was that there were other teams in a similar situation. It's easier to keep playing if you can expect at least a couple of close matches. Large teams and Co-op's are more about winning than playing the game (any sport).
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
User avatar
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: At Crosby - Divide County

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby 94hatchie » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:12 am

AC-DC wrote: Large teams and Co-op's are more about winning than playing the game (any sport).


How can you say that? You have no idea what the other players feel, win or loss. They are Co-oping to save the team and the players. they are doing what they have to to play. not to win.
94hatchie
 

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby Sioux4ever » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:08 pm

94hatchie wrote:
AC-DC wrote: Large teams and Co-op's are more about winning than playing the game (any sport).


How can you say that? You have no idea what the other players feel, win or loss. They are Co-oping to save the team and the players. they are doing what they have to to play. not to win.


Before this becomes a bash fest of a topic, I am going to reinforce what was posted in the other topic about the co-op'ing teams or folding teams. Teams can have a roster up to the amount regulated by USA and North Dakota hockey. Some have no choice but to play with 9-10 players. Other teams choose to not do that. That is up to each association. Let's try to keep all the conversations positive and about the upcoming hockey season!
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:09 am

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby AC-DC » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:28 am

In a perfect situation, the regulated 20 player roster is great, but this is not a perfect situation. This is the league for the small towns and the kids in the city that don't make the first teams. It's just like why the class B football league is 9 man, the reality of small numbers. A 10 player disparity on a hockey team roster is too much. And, if reduced could actually increase the number of teams in the league and improve the competition. If something is not done, I see the league going away. Hey, it's just my opinion. If we get eough people thinking and talking about the issue, maybe someone else has a better idea.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
User avatar
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: At Crosby - Divide County

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby Olgrz » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:14 pm

AC-DC wrote:In a perfect situation, the regulated 20 player roster is great, but this is not a perfect situation. This is the league for the small towns and the kids in the city that don't make the first teams. It's just like why the class B football league is 9 man, the reality of small numbers. A 10 player disparity on a hockey team roster is too much. And, if reduced could actually increase the number of teams in the league and improve the competition. If something is not done, I see the league going away. Hey, it's just my opinion. If we get eough people thinking and talking about the issue, maybe someone else has a better idea.


In a couple of years Hazen and dickinson will probably be Jgold.
Olgrz
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:56 pm
Location: North Dakota

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby 94hatchie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:49 pm

why does it matter if teams merge? for the kids that want to play, it saves both teams.

Thats why they do it. its not a matter of who is playing just to win, but who is playing that want to play.
94hatchie
 

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby AC-DC » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:58 am

Olgrz wrote:In a couple of years Hazen and dickinson will probably be Jgold.


In addition to or instead of the high school team?
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
User avatar
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: At Crosby - Divide County

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby Olgrz » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:28 pm

AC-DC wrote:
Olgrz wrote:In a couple of years Hazen and dickinson will probably be Jgold.


In addition to or instead of the high school team?


Instead of.
Olgrz
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:56 pm
Location: North Dakota

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby AC-DC » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:20 pm

Olgrz wrote:
AC-DC wrote:
Olgrz wrote:In a couple of years Hazen and dickinson will probably be Jgold.


In addition to or instead of the high school team?


Instead of.


That doesn't sound like a good thing. Are they just losing school support or losing players?
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
User avatar
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: At Crosby - Divide County

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:24 am

The fact is that there aren't enough high school hockey teams in North Dakota to make separate classes (1A, 2A, 3A); this makes it so the only choice of a team struggling in the single class hockey of North Dakota is to drop to Jr. Gold.
Image
User avatar
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: USA

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:01 am

JRgoldfan wrote:I thought Rugby was cooping with Botno at the PW & Bantam levels, but would still have a JR GOLD Team.
Grand Forks is down to one team the Stallions (Gold dropped last year).
I've heard of a co-op between Sidney/Watford City and also Walsh County (Park River)/Langdon.
I guess we will all know for sure after the scheduling meeting on the 20th of September.
From the looks of it though, we are down to an 8 team league at the JR Gold level.


I remembered reading this post about the 20th of september. Anyone have any information pertaining to if all those team co-op'ed?
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:09 am

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:29 am

Sioux4ever wrote:
JRgoldfan wrote:I thought Rugby was cooping with Botno at the PW & Bantam levels, but would still have a JR GOLD Team.
Grand Forks is down to one team the Stallions (Gold dropped last year).
I've heard of a co-op between Sidney/Watford City and also Walsh County (Park River)/Langdon.
I guess we will all know for sure after the scheduling meeting on the 20th of September.
From the looks of it though, we are down to an 8 team league at the JR Gold level.


I remembered reading this post about the 20th of september. Anyone have any information pertaining to if all those team co-op'ed?


Okay,
Looks like we only lost 1 team, the Walsh County Warriors are cooping w/ Langdon for the season.

Rugby/Botno Cooped at the PW & Btm Levels
Looks like the rumored Watford City/Sidney coop was for the BANTAM level only.
Guest
 

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:00 pm

Okay,
Looks like we only lost 1 team, the Walsh County Warriors are cooping w/ Langdon for the season.

Rugby/Botno Cooped at the PW & Btm Levels
Looks like the rumored Watford City/Sidney coop was for the BANTAM level only.[/quote]


That is good for the Junior Gold league. Looks like a lot of early bantering about teams combining that did not happen. Maybe with some luck and interest in the future, the league can get back up to the 12 teams it had a few years.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:09 am

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:35 am

It also means that the teams that were possibly coop'ing are likely to be very short on players. Makes individuals better, but makes the team as a whole weaker, especially due to the extreme amount of ice time the players will be getting.
Image
User avatar
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: USA

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby Baller » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:32 pm

I heard that Rugby and Bottineau would be cooping next winter and play high school. I suppose this would drop Rugby out of the league
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
User avatar
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: Eastern North Dakota, ,

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby JDK23 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:34 pm

Baller wrote:I heard that Rugby and Bottineau would be cooping next winter and play high school. I suppose this would drop Rugby out of the league

where did you hear that?
User avatar
JDK23
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:52 pm
Location: Rugby

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:33 am

Baller wrote:I heard that Rugby and Bottineau would be cooping next winter and play high school. I suppose this would drop Rugby out of the league



Well considering the fact that Botno had a Varsit & JV last year... and Rugby should be returning 20 players from last year's team (they had 23 last year, 3 alternates)... I would assume that even w/ a High School Coop, they would still have enough to keep the JG team going too.

Just my 2 cents...
Guest
 

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby sportsman101 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:15 pm

junior gold is a very high level of competition
sportsman101
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:58 pm

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby Guesthockey » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:42 pm

It would be great if the Rugby players would have the choice of playing Jr. Gold in Rugby, or playing JV or Varsity with Bottineau. It would give some of the better Rugby guys a great opportunity to potentially play varsity hockey. I had heard that Rguby was going to arrange something with either Devils Lake or Bottineau. Either way, it would be great for Rugby. I hope Rugby will be able to keep their own peewee/bantam programs and not have to go to Bottineau to do that, unless they wanted to. I wasn't aware that Rugby was so low on numbers.
Guesthockey
 

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby AC-DC » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:58 am

Guesthockey wrote:It would be great if the Rugby players would have the choice of playing Jr. Gold in Rugby, or playing JV or Varsity with Bottineau. It would give some of the better Rugby guys a great opportunity to potentially play varsity hockey. I had heard that Rguby was going to arrange something with either Devils Lake or Bottineau. Either way, it would be great for Rugby. I hope Rugby will be able to keep their own peewee/bantam programs and not have to go to Bottineau to do that, unless they wanted to. I wasn't aware that Rugby was so low on numbers.


Letting the high school kids play varsity in Bottineau will be the end of the JG program in Rugby. Unless there is a very big influx of players, no one will want to play when all the good players go to Bottineau. It's a shame they even need to co-op at the younger levels. It would be good if they could get more recruits from some of the closer small towns, not an easy task.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
User avatar
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: At Crosby - Divide County

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby SIOUXGUY » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:16 pm

Rugby and Bottineau's numbers are low. Only 6-7 kids in each PeeWee program, 16 total Bantams for both teams. Not alot either program can do except co-op.
SIOUXGUY
 

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby AC-DC » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:29 am

SIOUXGUY wrote:Rugby and Bottineau's numbers are low. Only 6-7 kids in each PeeWee program, 16 total Bantams for both teams. Not alot either program can do except co-op.

Crosby has been in that situation for years. On a good year, we get 8-9 at each level. With no real co-op options, we have to play-up younger kids. Might not be a perfect situation, but the kids get a lot of experience and at least we have a program. It's just the reality of a small town.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
User avatar
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: At Crosby - Divide County

Re: Teams Dropping?

Postby Hockey is Awesome » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:30 am

About 11/17 on the bantam team are from Bottineau (which has some freshmen on JV as well) and about 8 or 9 peewees are from Bottineau. Rugby asked both Bottineau and Devils Lake tp help them out. I truly believe Rugby would have lost their program if not for Bottineau (or someone else) stepping in. It will be interesting to see if Rugby maintains a hockey program or just assimilates into Bottineau's completely. Either way, I fear Rugby is just another small town that will drop from the JG ranks.
Hockey is Awesome
 

Next

Return to NDAHA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest